PDA

View Full Version : Minimizing Brightness and Glare

Soloracer
07-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Okay, I just chose this photo because it was at the top of my pile of "photos to improve next time." When I took this, it was overcast but the sun was bright, obviously, changing locations would eliminate the glare but at some tracks/locations that isn't always an available option for the best shot. So do any of you photo experts have solution that would minimize glare and brightness in unwanted areas?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=309535&stc=1&d=1246475052

EDIT: Better worse image...

pat_ernzen
07-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Other than a circular polarizer?

NSXType-R
07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, circular polarizer would work. Maybe a hood? And perhaps a graduated filter?

Soloracer
07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
What is a graduated filter? I'm sure I could google it but I'm feeling a bit lazy...

Rasmus
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Other than a circular polarizer?

+1, for that shot a circ pol would have come in handy.

Apart from that, you could toying around with an ND filter. Or start doing fill light with bounced flash.

drakkie
07-01-2009, 02:56 PM
A circ. polarizer would definately work! A graduated filter has one "normal' colour area, one "filtered/coloured" area slowly blending into eachother.

PS: Anyone have some tips to remove my circ. polarizer ? It got stuck solidly on my lense, no idea how it happened because i can't remember i put it on very tightly...:o

coolieman1220
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
what about locking your exposure?

pat_ernzen
07-01-2009, 04:07 PM
PS: Anyone have some tips to remove my circ. polarizer ? It got stuck solidly on my lense, no idea how it happened because i can't remember i put it on very tightly...:o
I've had that happen as well. I put some electrical tape around the circumference of the filter so that the filter couldn't rotate. Then just make sure you're turning with very even pressure so that you don't "pinch" the circle into an oval (if that makes sense). Should do the trick.

NSXType-R
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
What is a graduated filter? I'm sure I could google it but I'm feeling a bit lazy...

I meant a graduated neutral density filter. It's supposed to be meant for landscapes, but hey, maybe you have something really bright and dark that you want to photograph in the same frame? Check the linky on the bottom.

I've never worked with any of them, but I'm crazy enough that I'd probably give it a go anyway. :D

There's a big "Why not?" factor to the whole thing.

+1, for that shot a circ pol would have come in handy.

Apart from that, you could toying around with an ND filter. Or start doing fill light with bounced flash.

Yeah, that's what I meant, a graduated neutral density filter.

pat_ernzen
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
The ND filter wouldn't help at all with the glare, though. I know you know that, just saying.

NSXType-R
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
The ND filter wouldn't help at all with the glare, though. I know you know that, just saying.

Yeah, I understand, but he also wanted to deal with brightness too, so it might help in contrasty areas.

Just throwing it out there, it's another option for him.

Soloracer
07-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Hey thanks guys, I think a filter could really help in the future.

pat_ernzen
07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Hey thanks guys, I think a filter could really help in the future.
I personally consider a C-PL an absolute must-have.

NSXType-R
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
I personally consider a C-PL an absolute must-have.

Circular Polarizer?

Rasmus
07-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Yessir.

For shooting cars it's an absolute must-have. I wouldn't even bother trying if I didn't have my polarizers with me. Not because it can't be done, but because the difference a polarizer makes is big.