early93viper
08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Nissian GTR VS VIPER - Car Videos on StreetFire

IBrake4Rainbows
08-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Dude, All American Rejects?

wwgkd
08-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Pretty good race until he went off the track.

whiteballz
08-16-2009, 10:06 PM
It might just be the vid, but does he munch you down the straights?

blingbling
08-16-2009, 10:54 PM
why dont you let us hear the engine sound :(

Black Edition
08-17-2009, 12:00 AM
whoa, i'm pretty amazed how the viper kept up with the GTR.

why dont you let us hear the engine sound :(

yeah, i have to agree with this one. That V10 engine sound of an american muscle car may make my day :D

demonrunning07
08-17-2009, 12:40 AM
yeah, i have to agree with this one. That V10 engine sound of an american muscle car may make my day :D

YES! Just at an idle that 8.0L V10 sounds like an earthquake! There have been a lot of cars faster than the Viper but I struggle to think of any as cool.

W.R.
08-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Sledgehammer vs. Unduly heavy fish knife. You managed to keep up well if I'm to believe what I've read about the GT-R's performance

Matra et Alpine
08-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Hey, missed you for a long time there ?
WHat you been up to ??

Nice vid .. but the last minute I enjoyed most as no annying MUSIC :)

How hard was the GTR trying ?
It's the usual problem on trackdays !
I've got in car vid of daughters boyfriend in my RX-8 matching speeds with a Challenge 360 ..... HE did want to post it up to show how "quick" he is :) :)

early93viper
08-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Ya the GTR was just killing me in the straights. If you watch closely he kills me in the straights but in the braking zones and in a few corners where I can use my torque I catch up.

We are both instructors and as you can see he was running pretty hard. (As he ran off the track :) ) He also has be racing in the SCCA for a while. We talked afterwords and he was pretty amazed that a 1993 Viper kept up with him. He is a real nice guy.

Here is the video without music:

YouTube - Nissan GTR VS 1993 Viper

wwgkd
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey, missed you for a long time there ?
WHat you been up to ??

Nice vid .. but the last minute I enjoyed most as no annying MUSIC :)

How hard was the GTR trying ?
It's the usual problem on trackdays !
I've got in car vid of daughters boyfriend in my RX-8 matching speeds with a Challenge 360 ..... HE did want to post it up to show how "quick" he is :) :)

I'm impressed you let your daughers boyfriend drive the rex. I guess you get along with him better than most parents I know?

Ya the GTR was just killing me in the straights. If you watch closely he kills me in the straights but in the braking zones and in a few corners where I can use my torque I catch up.

We are both instructors and as you can see he was running pretty hard. (As he ran off the track :) ) He also has be racing in the SCCA for a while. We talked afterwords and he was pretty amazed that a 1993 Viper kept up with him. He is a real nice guy.

Here is the video without music:

Thanks for the vid. Is your viper stock or have you upgraded it for track work?

henk4
08-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Nice video, just wondering if he went off track or just slowed down? I did not see him loosing the car at any time. (thanks for the music free version, greatly appreciated).
I also noted that the GTR was very cautiously negotiating the backmarkers.

early93viper
08-17-2009, 09:42 AM
My Viper is basicly stock except:

K&N and smooth tubes Intake, No cats, short throw shifter, Kumho V700 tires, EBC Yellow Pads.

The GTR goes off the track. He was pushing it a little too hard

henk4
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM
The GTR goes off the track. He was pushing it a little too hard

so he ran out of brakes or what? as I said I did not see him loosing the car just before he slowed down. This is not meant in any way to minimise your driving efforts, just want to know what happened.:)

early93viper
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
so he ran out of brakes or what? as I said I did not see him loosing the car just before he slowed down. This is not meant in any way to minimise your driving efforts, just want to know what happened.:)

He was carrying to much speed going into turn 8 went off track into the grass. Got back on track just fine. Didn't hit a wall or anything. Shit happens. :D

DesmoRob
08-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I didn't know the GTR even lets you go off the track, with the dozens of electronic management systems in the car. Nice job keeping up in the much older, less complicated Viper. Versus a GTR, he'd have probably lapped me if I was to try the same. That little lotus elise in the middle of the video, was he retiring from the race, or did you guys actually pass him like he was standing completely still? They're pretty demon quick little cars too, I was surprised at the rate you flew past him.

early93viper
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I didn't know the GTR even lets you go off the track, with the dozens of electronic management systems in the car. Nice job keeping up in the much older, less complicated Viper. Versus a GTR, he'd have probably lapped me if I was to try the same. That little lotus elise in the middle of the video, was he retiring from the race, or did you guys actually pass him like he was standing completely still? They're pretty demon quick little cars too, I was surprised at the rate you flew past him.

He was giving us the pointby he knew he was slower just probably let up a bit.

I have driven with countless Elise's on multipul tracks and you really have to beat the living hell out of one to make it fast.Or supercharge it. :) I only knew of one guy that could thrash a stock one hard enough to be decently fast consequently it was the same guy driving the GTR.

Here is a video of that:

Viper VS Elise at HPT - Car Videos on StreetFire

blingbling
08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
RX-8 matching speeds with a Challenge 360me want watch... NAU!

Niko_Fx
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Nice video, seems like you gave that GTR a run for its money!

G35COUPE
08-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Handling the GTR to its full potential can cause a whiplash or severe injury, so I have heard and so i have seen in some vids. It takes serious mastery to truely bring that car into its own. So, the driver in the vid did well to at least drive it to a respectable level. I won't use this vid to judge the GTR. The GTR's potential exceeds what the vid displayed. Nice vid. The music---I have my own not-so-interesting thoughts on that.

cmcpokey
08-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Handling the GTR to its full potential can cause a whiplash or severe injury, so I have heard and so i have seen in some vids. It takes serious mastery to truely bring that car into its own. So, the driver in the vid did well to at least drive it to a respectable level. I won't use this vid to judge the GTR. The GTR's potential exceeds what the vid displayed. Nice vid. The music---I have my own not-so-interesting thoughts on that.

not sure clarkson's broken old ass counts.

early93viper
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM

From what I heard from my track buddies is that the GTR is pretty easy to drive fast. Kinda like a playstation game.

As for the GTR handling so well it can cause whiplash or serious injury I think you have been watching too much Top Gear. If that where true a Formula Ford should be able to take someone's head off. LOL

cargirl1990
08-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Since when can a car in motion being controlled by a driver on a course with no on coming direction cause whiplash. Seriously? The only way to get whiplash is by getting hit in the rear. FAST. In traffic.

pimento
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Since when can a car in motion being controlled by a driver on a course with no on coming direction cause whiplash. Seriously? The only way to get whiplash is by getting hit in the rear. FAST. In traffic.

Sudden changes in sideways G forces.

f6fhellcat13
08-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Sudden changes in sideways G forces.

Because acceleration exists not only in the forward and backwards directions (deceleration) but also as lateral "g" forces. This is something of a misnomer because it is not a gravitational force, but is measured in in the same units because they are both forces.

For the record; Clarkson didn't get whiplash. He most likely pulled one of the muscles in his neck because he is old and weak and in a car capable of generating a sizable amount of the aforementioned "g"s.

cargirl1990
08-31-2009, 04:39 PM
^Oh, ok, thats makes sense.

csl177
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
From what I heard from my track buddies is that the GTR is pretty easy to drive fast. Kinda like a playstation game.

Your buddies are not wrong, it is quite neutral and goes where it's pointed regardless of throttle or brake inputs. I was only able to get it unsettled on transitional pavement at speeds requiring all that heft to move laterally, and quite abruptly. Not pretty but without all the driver's aids, probably would have ended badly.

But turning off the stability and traction controls alter the GTR's character quite a bit.
It's not hard to push it to one's personal limits and beyond.

I'd personally prefer your Viper for track use. I've never driven an early one, but always thought of them sort of like a 'Vette with bigger balls. Whenever the guy that brought his to our track day events was filling my CSL's mirrors, I was happy to wave him by! :eek: