PDA

View Full Version : Motor Sports Differences

Misho
05-16-2004, 09:30 AM
It would be great if we could mention and discuss the certain specification of each type of motor sports.

What I mean by that, is lets take F1 as the first case. What are the constants that all teams have ? What are the things they are allowed to change ? Can they have different displacements for their engines ? Different BHP figures maybe ? Other than the driver, what makes a F1 car better than the others ?. . .

Same goes for NASCAR (which i have no idea about), what engines are the cars running ? Is it the same for all ? . . .

And for the rally fans, what are the specifications for each group/class ? How are the points calculated ?. . .

I guess you got the idea, so just pour down all the info you know or ask any questions you want other to answer regarding reaulations for any type of motorsports.

drakkie
05-16-2004, 09:33 AM
F1 : 3-liter engines, max. 500 kilograms , minimum 5 , max. 7 gears including reverse. Drive on feul with max. octane level 98 i guess. They have to have the same on thuis and on some other stuff

Cotterik
05-16-2004, 10:07 AM
I wont start telling you about the rules and regulations or Formula one because you wont be able to shut me up :p I could go on for days. I am guessing that you are talking about the current regulations not the up and coming discussions of the new rules to come into play by 2005 onwards. So here is the full list of the Formula 1 regulations:

http://www.pitstop.com.my/f1rules.asp

Any other questions I am more than happy to answer :)

cp01ae
05-16-2004, 11:17 AM
The formula one cars have a set of rules, but in the rules there is some freedom. I think the best way to illustrate this would be to look at two areas of current F1 cars: the nose, and the side pods.

The nose of the Ferrari is almost a constant width the whole way down, the wing underneath is quite a bit more flat than the wings seen on the Renault and McLaren cars. The nose of the McLaren is more tapered and sloped than the other cars, and of course we can see that the nose on the Williams is short and has its wing supports placed wide and foreward of the nose.

The sidepods are another area that is different on some cars. the Renault for example has small tapered sidepods that probably reduce drag and wind resistance. the sides of the BAR and Williams are a bit more square and taper towards the top and rear. While the sidepods on the Ferrari taper to the rear, giving it a pleasing "coke-bottle" shape.

Of course this is only a small bit of some of the many differences that these cars can have within the regulations. And of note with regards to this is that the smaller teams will always try to copy the team that they think will perform the best that season. And please, ask questions if this is confusing.

drakkie, I think it's a 600 kg minimum for the weight.

Check here:
http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/14/479.html
http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/13/501.html
http://www.formula1.com/insight/technicalinfo/11/468.html

jones.dk
05-16-2004, 11:55 AM
A comparasion between Ferrari F1 vs Audi A4 DTM:

Ferrari F1:

Engine: 3.0 V10 Naturally Aspirated
Horsepower: 900
Weight (including driver): 605 kilograms
Gearbox: 7speed semi-automatic
Transmission: RWD
Brakes: Carbon-slices, 28 cm
Length/width/height: 460/180/95 cm
Topspeed: 370 km/h
0-200 km/h: 4,1 sec

Audi A4 DTM:

Engine: 4.0 litre V8 Naturally aspirated
Horsepower:470
Weight (including driver): 1080 kilograms
Gearbox: 6speed sekvential
Transmission: RWD
Brakes: Carbon-slices, 38 cm
Length/width/height: 480/185/130 cm
Topspeed: 300 km/h
0-200 km/h: 7,5 sec

Quiggs
05-16-2004, 12:11 PM
The current NASCAR Nextel Cup (top division) cars are very basic compared to F1. NASCAR has mandated 358ci max displacement pushrod V8's, 4 speed gearboxes, 9" Ford rear end housings, and all the cars share a (very) similar aerodynamic shell. Minimum weight is 3500lbs not including a driver. 22 gallon fuel cells. Tires are mandated from Goodyear, and distributed at the beginning of the race weekend. And at Daytona and Talladega (2.5mile and 2.66mile superspeedways), to keep the speeds "reasonable," they use carburator restrictor plates that bump the cars from 850hp down to about 600. NASCAR has also mandated a shock/spring combo for both the superspeedways.

If they were to run unrestricted at Daytona and 'Dega, they'd be running an average of ~245 in the draft.

Matra et Alpine
05-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Do you want bikes too ?

Especially as Honda has just recorded the highest speed EVER at MOnza in todays race

313km/h

at MONZA, not a big oval to build speed up on :)

fpv_gtho
05-16-2004, 06:18 PM
5000cc limit
16v pushrod V8 engines
7500rpm limited
Motec ECU limits power at 620hp and torque at about 680nm
1350kg minimum kerb weight
120L fuel cell
6 speed Holdinger gearbox
Ford 9 inch CWP differential
Double wishbone front suspension
5 link live rear axle
Control fuel - 98 octane Shel Optimax
Control tyre - Dunlop SP Sport. 17x12 inch
Aerodynamics, wheelbase, overhangs etc. all regulated by Project Blueprint introduced last year