PDA

View Full Version : Our Monterey Trip

csl177
08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I gotta say I'm not sorry we spent all our time at the track or racking up miles on my barn-find '67 911S. The past few years we've simply felt out of place at Pebble... the Concours de Lemons is more our speed. Besides, hanging out at Laguna, drinking & eating at the Cantina with a bunch of like-minded hot-rodders or blasting down Carmel Valley Road and Arroyo Seco was way more entertaining. :D

Wouter or Henk, I'd hoped to hear from you guys... sorry we missed connections! :(
(I know it was a few months ago, you still have my cell number? Apologies, I've been working on my cars, not posting)
Maybe we'll see you at RennSport Reunion at Daytona 2010?

A few shots from our experience:
1. Arriving at the airport where our car had been delivered by KlubSport
2. Pelican Wine Tour gathering at Hahn Family Winery
3. KlubSport paddock on Thursday... 4 Bruce Jennings 911s; next door was Gunnar's paddock.
4. Dan Gurney's Porsche F1 seat
5. Lining up for the Porsche Parade
6. Sunset smoke from Bonny Doon fires over Monterey Bay

Sorry, but I took no pictures of DeCadenet playing dominos in our tent, or Jurgen describing his research for his new book, nor his excitment of piloting David Piper's 917; it would be improper to do so. My wife and I spent an afternoon chatting with David & Liz Piper about what a big business this has all become, and bemoaning the emasculation of great tracks around the world.
Another Brush with Greatness: Walking towards our car after dinner, an older couple is getting into the new Camaro parked next to us... I wait for the driver to settle in, and while unlocking my door ask him how he likes his new ride. He turns to say it's pretty nice and I realize it's Bob Bondurant! He continues on for a minute about the Camaro, then compliments our 911 which we talk about for another minute, and looking at me closely asks "Don't I know you?" extending his hand. We shake. "No sir, Mr. Bondurant... I wouldn't think so, but it's a pleasure to chat with you... hope you are both having a good time at this year's events". We say goodbye... and ten minutes later in traffic they both waved at us as we passed them. :cool:

I don't think it could have been a better week for any motor enthusiast.:D

cargirl1990
08-21-2009, 11:09 PM
911's= EPIC WIN!

csl177
08-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Snapshots:
1. KlubSport's fine stable
2. 2 liter Toad Hall car, not allowed to run :(
3. A very nice group of Spyders
4. Favorite 356 boys, Leon & Ned... what are they plotting?
5. Gulf liveried Porkers at turn one
6. The Dakar 959 which was driven around the peninsula all week. Our first sight of it was Friday night on the way to Big Sur for dinner; ripping sounds, amazing ground clearance! :D

csl177
08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
1. Abarth Carrera wearing history
2. Vintage trinket & keys to Jenning's first #77
3. 917 Kurzheck 4.5L Lemans winner & ALM Porsche at the Porsche Historical tent
4. Elford/Ahrens 917K at Canepa's paddock
5. 718 Spyder & 906 outside the Rolex tent
6. CanAm 917/30 that didn't run... in fact, none of the Penske 917/30s were there, either. :(

Wouter Melissen
08-22-2009, 12:38 AM
The 959 was Dario Franchitti's drive for the weekend. It has a 400 bhp naturally aspirated engine!

Black Edition
08-22-2009, 05:46 AM
wow!!! :eek:

csl177
08-22-2009, 10:00 AM
So we were flashing at Dario the whole time? Wait... he got the 959 to drive and Bondurant got a lousy Camaro?!? :rolleyes:

Here's a few detail shots between the Porsche F1 car and F2... radically different! Note the cockpits and suspensions...