PDA

View Full Version : discovery series 3

motorhead
06-05-2003, 05:08 AM
here you go - looks good

piledriver
06-05-2003, 08:06 AM
all these lights looks like a spider!!!!
:D

ozexige
06-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Pile is right 'head' it does look like a spider and it has the 'burble of an American V8' - check out the history of the Rover V8 engine. But this 4WD has the heritage of the Discovery which in its original English form was the biggest P.O.S. EVER built.

motormaniac
06-06-2003, 02:31 AM
front rocks

motorhead
06-06-2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by ozexige
Pile is right 'head' it does look like a spider and it has the 'burble of an American V8' - check out the history of the Rover V8 engine. But this 4WD has the heritage of the Discovery which in its original English form was the biggest P.O.S. EVER built.
ya but their V8s are very under powered -the series 1 2 are all very underpowered cars - with that massive weight its even worst

motormaniac
06-06-2003, 05:29 AM
any technical data on this thing?

motorhead
06-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by motormaniac
any technical data on this thing?
not thus far

ozexige
06-08-2003, 07:50 PM
I don't have to hear from Rover to know this thing will still have a low HP 30 y.o. (in its original form) V8 - if it had anything like a new BMW bent 8 we would have all heard about it.

motormaniac
06-08-2003, 10:17 PM
erm, ppl this is debuted at the NY motorshow

ozexige
06-08-2003, 11:39 PM
If I'm proved wrong I'll eat my mouse!

motormaniac
06-09-2003, 02:50 AM
If I'm proved wrong I'll eat my mouse!

haha

2003 Land Rover Discovery G4
Again, building on the vehicles performing in the Land Rover G4 Challenge, Land Rover is offering a package of G4 Edition Discovery upgrades. Focusing on off-road ability, Land Rover combines a 4.6-liter/217-hp V-8 engine, five-speed automatic tranny, two-speed transfer case with locking center differential, four-wheel electronic traction ctontrol, and self-leveling suspension to give the Discovery G4 Edition its best possible off-road prowess. Outside, the vehicle boasts a Tangier Orange paintjob and roof rail system, A-frame brush bar, and rear lamp guards. Inside are an indash CD player, electric driver and passenger seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and exclusive G4 upholstery. Only 200 G4 Edition Discoverys will be available at dealerships this fall, with pricing expected to be under $39,000.

for more info visit this site:
http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_03as_ny/

motorhead
06-09-2003, 05:40 AM
haha

2003 Land Rover Discovery G4
Again, building on the vehicles performing in the Land Rover G4 Challenge, Land Rover is offering a package of G4 Edition Discovery upgrades. Focusing on off-road ability, Land Rover combines a 4.6-liter/217-hp V-8 engine, five-speed automatic tranny, two-speed transfer case with locking center differential, four-wheel electronic traction ctontrol, and self-leveling suspension to give the Discovery G4 Edition its best possible off-road prowess. Outside, the vehicle boasts a Tangier Orange paintjob and roof rail system, A-frame brush bar, and rear lamp guards. Inside are an indash CD player, electric driver and passenger seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel, and exclusive G4 upholstery. Only 200 G4 Edition Discoverys will be available at dealerships this fall, with pricing expected to be under $39,000.

for more info visit this site:
http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/coverage/112_03as_ny/ those specs are for the final version of the series 2 not the series 3

ozexige
06-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Sorry 'maniac, but it's still the original Chevy V8 bored out to 4.6L like the Range Rover. They need to stick a BMW engine in it - any BMW engine!
217 hp from a 4.6L V8 - shit - what a piss poor effort. The Jeep Overland (4.7L V8) puts out 195 kw or 260 hp.
:p

motorhead
06-09-2003, 11:02 PM
maybe the 231HP 3.0 inline 6 - should do the job well

motormaniac
06-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by motorhead
maybe the 231HP 3.0 inline 6 - should do the job well

it's not a porsche

Kudosdude
06-10-2003, 04:48 AM
Motormaniac - He said inline 6, not flat (boxer 6), I somehow doubt either would fit.

P.S. Who cares about Hp for a mudplugger. You want nice lowdown torque in something like this. That's why I prefer diesels in 4X4's, they suit the ethos better.

motorhead
06-10-2003, 04:52 AM
it's not a porsche
inline and boxer - inline is when the cylinders are vertically upwards and boxer or flat is when the cylinders are horizontally flat thus the name flat cylinder layout. advantages of using flat is that its smaller - its more compact then a inline engine but not necesarily more powerful and kudos why wouldn't a sixer fit in the discovery's bonnet its capable of holding a V8

Kudosdude
06-10-2003, 05:05 AM
advantages of using flat is that its smaller - its more compact then a inline

Er no, in general a flat engine tends to have a greater floor area, but a lower centre of gravity than an inline. But I'm generalising. The Disco V8 is shorter than the BMW Inline 6 (from the M3).

motormaniac
06-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Kudosdude
Er no, in general a flat engine tends to have a greater floor area, but a lower centre of gravity than an inline. But I'm generalising. The Disco V8 is shorter than the BMW Inline 6 (from the M3).

IT WAS A MISTAKE PEOPLE, MISTAKE

SORRY

ozexige
06-10-2003, 07:53 PM

P.S. Who cares about Hp for a mudplugger. You want nice lowdown torque in something like this. That's why I prefer diesels in 4X4's, they suit the ethos better.

ETHOS....uh

What a weird word to use for a reason to fit a diesel to a 4WD. Torque, I'm afraid, is not the answer for 4WD driving - in any terrain - it requires HP (+ torque) and the only reason the Japanese went out of their way to fit diesel engines was for the man on the land. A good reason (for diesel engines) was long distances and the fact that farmers etc have diesel to burn (excuse the pun), but as an all round vehicle (point to point, city driving and 'Mudplugging') V8 engines with HP and not to shabby in the torque department are the only engines for 4WD's. The stupid old farts who buy some jap' 4WD diesel and then fit a 6.0m caravan to it and drive all over Australia at 70-80kmh are a danger to themselves and everyone else. Even without the handicap of a caravan, if you come to a line of traffic going uphill at 70kmh (limit of 110kmh) you can bet it will be a diesel 4WD not only because of the deplorable speed but because of the thick black smoke belching from the front of the line as the stupid prick has his foot flat to the floor and instead of the engine burning the diesel oil it chucks it out the back after being blown past the rings.

DEATH TO ALL DIESEL ENGINES!

motormaniac
06-10-2003, 11:13 PM
ETHOS....uh

What a weird word to use for a reason to fit a diesel to a 4WD. Torque, I'm afraid, is not the answer for 4WD driving - in any terrain - it requires HP (+ torque) and the only reason the Japanese went out of their way to fit diesel engines was for the man on the land. A good reason (for diesel engines) was long distances and the fact that farmers etc have diesel to burn (excuse the pun), but as an all round vehicle (point to point, city driving and 'Mudplugging') V8 engines with HP and not to shabby in the torque department are the only engines for 4WD's. The stupid old farts who buy some jap' 4WD diesel and then fit a 6.0m caravan to it and drive all over Australia at 70-80kmh are a danger to themselves and everyone else. Even without the handicap of a caravan, if you come to a line of traffic going uphill at 70kmh (limit of 110kmh) you can bet it will be a diesel 4WD not only because of the deplorable speed but because of the thick black smoke belching from the front of the line as the stupid prick has his foot flat to the floor and instead of the engine burning the diesel oil it chucks it out the back after being blown past the rings.

DEATH TO ALL DIESEL ENGINES!

i should be supporting u,

in singapore u can't use disel cars:p

Kudosdude
06-11-2003, 01:43 AM
OZexige - Explain to the viewers how horsepower and torque are related, and have you driven a new diesel lately? (By new I mean anything under 5 years old)

Would you rather have a diesel or petrol engine if you were planning on fording a river/stream?

Would you rather have rubbish Diesel in your diesel engine, or rubbish petrol in your petrol engine?

Im not trying to be funny, I'm not the biggest fan of caravans, but I've been overtaken by many a diesel discovery doing well over the speedlimit with a twin axle caravan on the back. How fast does a 4X4 need to go? The TD5 LandRover does 90+mph.

P.S. I agree with you on off roaders that don't go off-road, I really do :D

motormaniac
06-11-2003, 02:45 AM
OZexige - Explain to the viewers how horsepower and torque are related, and have you driven a new diesel lately? (By new I mean anything under 5 years old)

Would you rather have a diesel or petrol engine if you were planning on fording a river/stream?

Would you rather have rubbish Diesel in your diesel engine, or rubbish petrol in your petrol engine?

Im not trying to be funny, I'm not the biggest fan of caravans, but I've been overtaken by many a diesel discovery doing well over the speedlimit with a twin axle caravan on the back. How fast does a 4X4 need to go? The TD5 LandRover does 90+mph.

P.S. I agree with you on off roaders that don't go off-road, I really do :D

erm yeah, 90% of suv owners do not go offroading

or is it 99%...hmmm

ozexige
06-12-2003, 12:00 AM

. How fast does a 4X4 need to go? The TD5 LandRover does 90+mph.

I could explain the relationship between HP and torque (really I could) but I would have to find a way of adding 100 IQ points to 'maniac and a few of the other pre-pubescent kiddies on the block. :D - but here goes.....
You know your physics as well as I and that torque and HP are mutually exclusive and in fact HP is a term (algebraically derived from torque) just to help people explain a difference between engines. The low down (rpm) torque ability of diesel engines gives them great pulling power - for semi-trailers and trains - but the lack of revs that a diesel can develop leaves it far behind in the acceleration stakes. This is because the relatively simple formula for HP = (torque x RPM)/5252 and once your engine speed passes 5252rpm your HP starts to increase dramatically and because a diesel can't reach those revs (because its torque drops off immediately after its peak at 2000rpm - for the Td5) its HP drops off and its acceleration at speed is stuffed! As soon as you change gears you can regain some torque but the petrol engined vehicle as left you for dead with at least 1,000 rpm up its sleeve.
Let us discuss only modern 4WD's (last 5 years) - to pass a diesel doing 90kmh you do need a top speed of more than 145kmh, because if that's your limit you will be very lucky to reach within 25kmh of that in a hurry, which will make it impossible to pass anything safely especially if going uphill - you can't change down a gear in the diesel because it drops below its peak torque and you can't keep accelerating because is torque curve isn't flat and is nothing at 5,000rpm - again you are passed by a petrol engined vehicle with 1,500rpm more and a flatter torque curve.
A modern petrol 4WD has absolutely no problem fording a stream even with its electric ignition. The latest Jeep is waterproof with the air intake travelling thru the bonnet to the underside of the windscreen and is fitted with waterproof headlights.
In the good old days, during a couple of trips around Oz (all the way round), I did have trouble with petrol - but it was because of vapour-locks not the dirty shit we poured into the car from the gerry cans we carried.:D
I want everything from a 4WD -
0-100 under 7secs
250kmh+ top speed
and 7 seats with individual DVD's
too much?
I'll stop now ....... (I heard that!)

motormaniac
06-12-2003, 12:01 AM
I could explain the relationship between HP and torque (really I could) but I would have to find a way of adding 100 IQ points to 'maniac and a few of the other pre-pubescent kiddies on the block. :D - but here goes.....
You know your physics as well as I and that torque and HP are mutually exclusive and in fact HP is a term (algebraically derived from torque) just to help people explain a difference between engines. The low down (rpm) torque ability of diesel engines gives them great pulling power - for semi-trailers and trains - but the lack of revs that a diesel can develop leaves it far behind in the acceleration stakes. This is because the relatively simple formula for HP = (torque x RPM)/5252 and once your engine speed passes 5252rpm your HP starts to increase dramatically and because a diesel can't reach those revs (because its torque drops off immediately after its peak at 2000rpm - for the Td5) its HP drops off and its acceleration at speed is stuffed! As soon as you change gears you can regain some torque but the petrol engined vehicle as left you for dead with at least 1,000 rpm up its sleeve.
Let us discuss only modern 4WD's (last 5 years) - to pass a diesel doing 90kmh you do need a top speed of more than 145kmh, because if that's your limit you will be very lucky to reach within 25kmh of that in a hurry, which will make it impossible to pass anything safely especially if going uphill - you can't change down a gear in the diesel because it drops below its peak torque and you can't keep accelerating because is torque curve isn't flat and is nothing at 5,000rpm - again you are passed by a petrol engined vehicle with 1,500rpm more and a flatter torque curve.
A modern petrol 4WD has absolutely no problem fording a stream even with its electric ignition. The latest Jeep is waterproof with the air intake travelling thru the bonnet to the underside of the windscreen and is fitted with waterproof headlights.
In the good old days, during a couple of trips around Oz (all the way round), I did have trouble with petrol - but it was because of vapour-locks not the dirty shit we poured into the car from the gerry cans we carried.:D
I want everything from a 4WD -
0-100 under 7secs
250kmh+ top speed
and 7 seats with individual DVD's
too much?
I'll stop now ....... (I heard that!)

get a cayenne

ozexige
06-12-2003, 12:05 AM
erm yeah, 90% of suv owners do not go offroading

or is it 99%...hmmm

You're correct Forrest and because of that people want 4WD's that accelerate and perform close to sedans and so do I - but I also take them bush and bash the crap out of them....just like I'm going to do to you one day if you don't adhere strictly to the rules from now on!
only funnin’ with u. :D

motormaniac
06-12-2003, 02:44 AM
You're correct Forrest and because of that people want 4WD's that accelerate and perform close to sedans and so do I - but I also take them bush and bash the crap out of them....just like I'm going to do to you one day if you don't adhere strictly to the rules from now on!
only funninÂ’ with u. :D

u have a suv to feel big

motorhead
06-12-2003, 07:58 AM
ok now here it goes - i was reading this article on top gear about this deisel SUVs - deisel x5 - deisel discovery - and deisel grand chereooke(is that how you spell it) - a jounalist made a mistake by puting unleaded into the car because well you know the phrase all to well - this deisel is as good as petrol - that is the phrase most or should i say all journalist and buyers alike are saying - and yes that fellow who talked about torque - he was damn right by saying its a must in suvs nowdays. the powerband for torque in deisel suvs are start at a very very low rpm and in simple terms torque is actually the amout of weight that can be pulled by a certain gear so the more the torgue the longer you can stay in a gear

ozexige
06-12-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by motorhead
ok now here it goes - i................................................. .................. torque is actually the amout of weight that can be pulled by a certain gear so the more the torgue the longer you can stay in a gear

I'm sorry 'head - not true, it would be the case if you didn't want to accelerate, but because the idea is to keep on accelerating and a diesel CAN'T produce revs & torque it stops accelerating - and I fly past it. :D

ozexige
06-12-2003, 04:45 PM
u have a suv to feel big

Nah - its not RED.:D

motormaniac
06-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Nah - its not RED.:D

.....:rolleyes: