PDA

View Full Version : Aprilia RSV4 R 2010

Kitdy
09-22-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, I've been getting more into bikes recently and I know there's a few bike fans on UCP so I figure I'd post up some pics of the 2010 RSV4 that will be debuting at Imola's round of the Superbike World Championship.

It, as the name insinuates, has a V4 that's good for 180 hp - not too shabby if you ask me.

Aprilia RSV4 R #1

Kitdy
09-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Aprilia RSV4 R #2

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Well, I've been getting more into bikes

I raise my glass to you.

nice aprilia, but I've always thought they look too japanese for being an italian bike. I prefer Ducs, Benelli and the obvious MV Agusta.

whiteballz
09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
I like it.. Does look japanese though.

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 01:12 AM
I find it has too much in common with the Yamaha crotch rockets.

W.R.
09-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Damn, another thing for the 'need' list. Looked better pulling wheelies at Goodwood FoS though.

LeonOfTheDead
09-23-2009, 04:53 AM
I think a lot of the design influence doesn't come directly from Japanes bikes, but scooters.
Aprilia main incomes are in that market, and when you are about to design a scooter, you are aiming to impress kids, hence the Japanese or simpluy overdone look, which then was transfered to a lot of their sportsbikes, which also happen to be a good reason for kids to buy a scooter from a certain brand.

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Spoont.

That is all.

Except that it doesn't look anything like the Jappers.

sarasson
09-23-2009, 06:15 AM
So many designs are becoming incestuous. Theres only so many things you can do without getting REALLY bold.

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Except that it doesn't look anything like the Jappers.

no?

http://www.i64x.com/i6pics/pic_305.jpg

blingbling
09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
2 wheels only?!? PHAIL!

TVRs4eva
09-23-2009, 11:24 AM
If you're going the Aprilia route, I'd go with the Tuono R. Still a big liter bike, no side fairings (naked bikes FTW), cheaper, easier to work on, more bulletproof... all around a better deal IMO. Power is "only" 139 hp or so, still enough to put you on your ass if you're not careful...

Kitdy
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
Even if the RSV4 is reminiscent of Japanese designs (I'm undecided in that matter) it at least has a different and interesting engine - a V4 is something none of the other litrebikes do.

Why does Aprilia use a V4?

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
If you're going the Aprilia route, I'd go with the Tuono R. Still a big liter bike, no side fairings (naked bikes FTW), cheaper, easier to work on, more bulletproof... all around a better deal IMO. Power is "only" 139 hp or so, still enough to put you on your ass if you're not careful...

Depends what you like I guess. Naked bikes bring on the power different than dedicated sport bikes. When I brought my 749 in to the service, they let me take out their Monster S2R1000 demo bike, and I took it on a 12 km run through mountain twisties and a brief highway stretch. Despite the Monster's liter engine, my little 749 would have still outrun it. Nakeds are just a more comfortable bike to ride and are typically a lot more user friendly. They aren't made to be as aggressive as the superbikes.

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Even if the RSV4 is reminiscent of Japanese designs (I'm undecided in that matter) it at least has a different and interesting engine - a V4 is something none of the other litrebikes do.

FWIW, the $85,000 CAD Ducati D16 RR has a V4.

Ferrer
09-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Probably because it's a more compact layout.

Kitdy
09-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Probably because it's a more compact layout.

Then why do the Japanese use an I4?

Even MotoGP is divided in engine layout; some teams use V4s and others I4s.

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2009, 04:22 PM

The Tuono V4 is in development, will be released next year some time. But yes, naked bikes FTW.

Then why do the Japanese use an I4?

Even MotoGP is divided in engine layout; some teams use V4s and others I4s.

V4s are really good, you get good torque and traction, but they are only compact when a narrow V angle is used, and then there starts to be balance issues witrh cause vibrations which can need a balance shaft. There's also problems with getting a good intake angle into the valves with narrow V-angles.

Depends what you like I guess. Naked bikes bring on the power different than dedicated sport bikes. When I brought my 749 in to the service, they let me take out their Monster S2R1000 demo bike, and I took it on a 12 km run through mountain twisties and a brief highway stretch. Despite the Monster's liter engine, my little 749 would have still outrun it. Nakeds are just a more comfortable bike to ride and are typically a lot more user friendly. They aren't made to be as aggressive as the superbikes.

They're not comparable engines. The 1000DS motor is an old 2 valve, air cooled design, whilst the 749 motor is 4 valve watercooled Testastretta superbike motor.

whiteballz
09-23-2009, 04:24 PM
As I commute so far every day the idea of a bike is tempting.. What style of bike is this?
I mean, sort of low with the wheel pretty far forward of the bars?

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Ha. No. You wouldn't fit on it in a million years. They're freaking tiny. Low bars, high pegs. And probably $25k+ on the road.

clutch-monkey
09-23-2009, 04:32 PM
bikes are tempting for commuting. then i come to my senses, lol. got too much stuff to carry

pimento
09-23-2009, 04:56 PM
I can carry heaps of stuff on my bike.. it's easy!

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I got a massive toolbox home from Bunnings the other day. Couple of cheapo ratchet straps, no problems.

Pimento, does your Postie have an Arai sticker on the side?

clutch-monkey
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
i find dirtbikes very useful, i just need to throw it the back of the 4x4 with my other stuff to get to work first lol

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 10:25 PM
They're not comparable engines. The 1000DS motor is an old 2 valve, air cooled design, whilst the 749 motor is 4 valve watercooled Testastretta superbike motor.

I didn't even stop to consider that. I figured it would be competitive, being one year newer than my bike. It was still buckets of fun, just in a different way. If I had cash to blow, I'd probably have every style of ducati in my garage for whatever mood I was in. I bought the superbike because generally my mood is wanting to go fast as exclusive as possible. With the only 749 Dark in the valley, I had no problem accomplishing that. Hoping they make an 848 Dark as a cheaper entry level superbike alternative to the regular model. Can't beat that matte black finish either :).

W.R.
09-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Don't forget the Yamaha VMax, although that's a little larger than a litre...

DesmoRob
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
lol that thing is psycho.

2ndclasscitizen
09-23-2009, 11:32 PM
Can't beat that matte black finish either :).

Get yourself some sandpaper and pressure-pack cans. Job done,.

Don't forget the Yamaha VMax, although that's a little larger than a litre...

Near-as 200whp stock...

lol that thing is psycho.

Yeah.

pimento
09-24-2009, 12:09 AM
I got a massive toolbox home from Bunnings the other day. Couple of cheapo ratchet straps, no problems.

Pimento, does your Postie have an Arai sticker on the side?

Nope, but it does have a big white cage (http://www.nastybun.com/2009/08/03/blatherance/) on the back that used to be a drawer.

2ndclasscitizen
09-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Oh that's right, I thought you were rocking the milk crate on the back and had spotted it round Glebe.

pimento
09-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Pfft, a mere milk crate.. I can carry twice as much!

Matra et Alpine
09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
re the similarity of looks .. comes with the territor.
The optimal packaging for a sports/sports-tourer bike are hard to break the mold on.
Same with front end looks.
It has to have optimal airflow for the airbox, good flow to the radiator and decent front end shape to reduce drag and any buffeting/handling issues at high speed.

So it starts to just be about where the angular bits are, what shape the light is etc.
Even the bubble shape and height is pretty fixed as you wnat it low enough to get high speed but high enough and shaped right to avoid wind push on the shoulders and buffeting of the head.

Many manufacturers rely as much on graphics to "get the look right" -- eg the SUzuki GSX range :)

Re V4, it has cooling and flow issues, always has.
BUT it's advantage of slightly narrower frontage can help when/if the rest of the bike can take advantage of it.
You get better torque out of a V4 without the problems of vibrations you get in big twins and can get a LOT more power.
But new V4s coming are operating as "big bang" so firing two cylinders at the same time and thus the characterisics of a V-twin.

Love Aprilias, love their looks, nice sounds. Great handling.

Kitdy
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Love Aprilias, love their looks, nice sounds. Great handling.

I was saddened to learn that some Aprilias have Rotax motors which my buddy contends are garbage engines made in Thailand. BMW also uses them - are they actually bad?

Also Matra, I was wondering seeing as how you know your shit about bikes, what litrebike would you have? You don't seem to be much of a Duc fan but I'll allow 1198s etc - bikes in that class.

Also, what the hell is the deal with the MV Agusta F4CC? Why does it cost 120k USD? Is it or the F4RR any use?

2ndclasscitizen
09-25-2009, 06:11 PM
I was saddened to learn that some Aprilias have Rotax motors which my buddy contends are garbage engines made in Thailand. BMW also uses them - are they actually bad?

Your buddy's a moron. Rotax engines are made in Austria and are damn good motors. But Aprilia are moving away from the Rotax motors, the V4 and their 750 V-twin are in-house engines.

Also, what the hell is the deal with the MV Agusta F4CC? Why does it cost 120k USD? Is it or the F4RR any use?

Limited edition, lots of low-production special bits.

Matra et Alpine
09-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Rotax are German/Austrian manufacturer.
As well as providing trials bike engines for decades their other "claim to fame" is private aircraft engiens ... VERY reliable.
They also made engines for others :) WOdl need to go digging for the list.

Suffice it to say your buddy knows nothing ... I'm sure he thinks Harley's are pinnacle of engineering :)

Wouldn't touch a Duc .. too temperamental, too expensive to service and not faster on real roads driven by real riders :)
Always loved the Gixxer - Suzuki GSX-1000, though as they re-released a 750 I'd rather go thre as a better balance of power/weight.
MV Agusta or Benelli also get my votes and you can't avoid a Fireblade and if small and skinny an R1.

Well the F4CC is a "halo" model. Lots of custom hand built parts replacing the stock ones. The engine bored out to maximum, titanium valves, custom heads and lots more -- 90% of the parts "custom" for the bike. On top of that it comes with designer leathres and a custom designer F4CC WATCH. THAT tells you whre it is targetted for sales ... not REAL bikers. Stick with the F4 with custom parts designed/supplied by Phil Read :)

2ndclasscitizen
09-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Well the F4CC is a "halo" model. Lots of custom hand built parts replacing the stock ones. The engine bored out to maximum, titanium valves, custom heads and lots more -- 90% of the parts "custom" for the bike. On top of that it comes with designer leathres and a custom designer F4CC WATCH. THAT tells you whre it is targetted for sales ... not REAL bikers. Stick with the F4 with custom parts designed/supplied by Phil Read :)

They've also got the variable intakes from the Ago bike.

Kitdy
09-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Your buddy's a moron.

Suffice it to say your buddy knows nothing ... I'm sure he thinks Harley's are pinnacle of engineering :)

A bit unfair; he probably got his info from a shitty source (ie shopmate) or something. He's worked on the floor at a Honda dealership for a few summers now.

He isn't really that into Harley's actually Matra - he is Honda through and through, though he did write an essay for an American history course in university about how Harley's success was derived not from engineering in any way but in their cultural image (as I recall). I actually talked to him about that essay tonight and he told me his TA never gave him his mark back. I read it and it was pretty decent; I'm sure if I'd ask he'd let you read it and you'd probably tell from his writing he was no moron.

Had to jump to the defence of one of my best mates there guys, what can I say?

As for the F4CC, I wonder if part of it's allure is it's price...

wwgkd
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM
A bit unfair; he probably got his info from a shitty source (ie shopmate) or something. He's worked on the floor at a Honda dealership for a few summers now.

He isn't really that into Harley's actually Matra - he is Honda through and through, though he did write an essay for an American history course in university about how Harley's success was derived not from engineering in any way but in their cultural image (as I recall). I actually talked to him about that essay tonight and he told me his TA never gave him his mark back. I read it and it was pretty decent; I'm sure if I'd ask he'd let you read it and you'd probably tell from his writing he was no moron.

Had to jump to the defence of one of my best mates there guys, what can I say?

Exclusivity does increase the price. I've never understood the attraction to exclusiveness myself, but a lot of people love it.

2ndclasscitizen
09-26-2009, 12:47 AM
He isn't really that into Harley's actually Matra - he is Honda through and through.

Might be worthwhile pointing out to him how much Honda stuff is made in Thailand. (Here's a hint: shitloads.)

For some. But have you seen (or heard) one? Stunning. Utterly stunning.

ysabel
09-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Japanese design or bikes has a high quality feature.Here in Asia they are most appreciated.

lynda1234
09-27-2009, 06:41 PM
That's pretty good.
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.
Thanks a lot for the information