PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac is back!

Ferrer
10-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Sort of.

The Lingenfelter 455 T/A Concept really is badass — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/31/the-lingenfelter-455-t-a-concept-really-is-badass/)

I think I want one...

johnnynumfiv
10-31-2009, 07:56 PM
They based it off the wrong gen t/a. They should have gone with a 67-69 design.

LeonOfTheDead
11-01-2009, 03:59 AM
I honestly think that looks crappy.
The enormous gap behind the grilles is just wrong, and the overall proportions are quite Hummerish. It's huge, looks heavy and doesn't inspire me more than a Mustang V6. Actually, it doesn't inspire me more than a Cobalt Turbo.

How many Cobalts can I have with the money they would ask?

Dino Scuderia
11-01-2009, 04:10 AM
I honestly think that looks crappy.
The enormous gap behind the grilles is just wrong, and the overall proportions are quite Hummerish. It's huge, looks heavy and doesn't inspire me more than a Mustang V6. Actually, it doesn't inspire me more than a Cobalt Turbo.

How many Cobalts can I have with the money they would ask?

Agreed....slapping a bunch of retro cues all over the place on a new body shape, does not constitute "design".

Roentgen
11-01-2009, 05:04 AM
I think the front is very well done. The Hummerish proportions I think is just due to the angle the picture is taken from.

NSXType-R
11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I never liked that generation of Camaros/Pontiac. Go figure.

f6fhellcat13
11-01-2009, 10:12 AM
This just goes to show that the new Camaro is way too tall.
The grille stops long before the bottom of the car;

coolieman1220
11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Breaker Breaker - this is snowman, bandit you there!
- yeah snowman
- i got some bears comin down the hammer lane in charger RT's...over
- oh crap, this ain't the 70's, i can't outrun them...

SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT IS BACK!

11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
It's not very good, I especially find the rear fenders too slab sided and tall

whiteballz
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
The original of that year model was ugly.. and this is ugly just like it..

As far as I'm concerned its worked out well.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-03-2009, 04:38 AM
The wheels are ridiculously sexy.

Other than that, yeah, it looks like a Camaro that's been beaten up & is swelling around the face. IE not great.....

switters78
11-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Agreed....slapping a bunch of retro cues all over the place on a new body shape, does not constitute "design".

Like the new Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Ford GT, Chevy SSR, Chevy HHR, PT Cruiser, Prowler...did I miss any? Seems like business as usual in the land of American car design :)

Ferrer
11-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Like the new Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, Ford GT, Chevy SSR, Chevy HHR, PT Cruiser, Prowler...did I miss any? Seems like business as usual in the land of American car design :)
Thunderbird.

Also plenty of euro examples available too.

LeonOfTheDead
11-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I can live with both the Mustang (restyled) and the GT though.

clutch-monkey
11-03-2009, 04:45 PM
should have stayed dead.

Ferrer
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
There's more resurgence from the dead apparently.

SEMA 2009: Breaker, breaker, we got ourselves a Bandit — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/03/sema-2009-breaker-breaker-we-got-ourselves-a-bandit/)

johnnynumfiv
11-03-2009, 05:07 PM

SEMA 2009: Breaker, breaker, we got ourselves a Bandit — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/03/sema-2009-breaker-breaker-we-got-ourselves-a-bandit/)

Now that is perfect. That design fits the car very well. Props to that dude.

G35COUPE
11-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Sort of.

The Lingenfelter 455 T/A Concept really is badass — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/31/the-lingenfelter-455-t-a-concept-really-is-badass/)

I think I want one...

The vehicle looks alien. The writer of the article needs to be professional in their commentary. Is this vehicle a drag car or a real racing machine?

wwgkd
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM

That's more like it. I actually like that more than the camaro. But no, they had to keep buick and kill pontiac.

The vehicle looks alien. The writer of the article needs to be professional in their commentary. Is this vehicle a drag car or a real racing machine?

Why?
And both. It will out corner formula 1 cars and out accelerate top fuel cars.

clutch-monkey
11-03-2009, 09:33 PM
it's hilarious how much more 'rice' or style over substance design there is in the muscle cars now, as opposed to the jap cars... tables have turned.

wwgkd
11-03-2009, 09:41 PM
it's hilarious how much more 'rice' or style over substance design there is in the muscle cars now, as opposed to the jap cars... tables have turned.

Most muscle cars were always more about being able to smoke the tires (style) than really running quarter mile times (substance) anyways. It just happened that the two overlapped somewhat if you were looking to do either on a budget.

clutch-monkey
11-03-2009, 09:52 PM
yeah but i mean the actual designs now though, fake ram air scoops and that sort of stuff, just to copy the older car. looks fine, but it's just funny.

wwgkd
11-03-2009, 09:56 PM
yeah but i mean the actual designs now though, fake ram air scoops and that sort of stuff, just to copy the older car. looks fine, but it's just funny.

That's true. I've always hated fake anything on a car (scoops, wings, etc.) and yet we keep seeing them despite all the valid engineering reasons not to.

P4g4nite
11-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Could you really drive these cars in public without everyone older than 13 laughing openly and questioning aloud the dimensions of your reproductive equipment?

Ferrer
11-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Even in the olden days many muscle cars had a lot of "show" - not all scoops and louvres were functional. And there are always the AMC specials which were quite loud...

clutch-monkey
11-04-2009, 06:22 AM
yeah but in that case now it's non-funtional showy stuff that's copying non-functional design from a previous era, it's not even original lol.

john14
11-05-2009, 12:53 AM
They based it off the wrong gen t/a. They should have gone with a 67-69 design.

Johnny, I agree with you. They should have gone with the 67-69 design. This design is horrible.

switters78
11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I can live with both the Mustang (restyled) and the GT though.

Especially the GT...I just can't help but think how much more awesome of a car that would've been, had it been an original design...

nota
11-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Even in the olden days many muscle cars had a lot of "show" - not all scoops and louvres were functional
You're right, and here's a bit of obscure scoop trivia: regardless of marque, afaik virtually every one of those muscle car scoop systems actually fed underbonnet air, just like normal intake systems do, with additional external (fresh) air from the scoop only being fed-in when a valve opened near WOT.

However the 'Shaker' bonnet scoop on XY Falcon GT-HO was locally modified to feature 100% external-air induction all the time (regardless of throttle position) via deletion of the underbonnet 'snorkel' air feed & heat-riser. These pics well display the unique blanking panel on GT-HO air-cleaner assemblies, as compared to Shakers used on hi-po US Fords (and regular Falcon GT as shown).

Btw I remember a local magazine doing a comparion test of GT-HO with & without its front under-bumper spoiler fitted. The spoiler produced iirc an approx two-inch drop in front ride height @ 90 mph. However the racing drivers of the day felt there wasn't much benefit from it, if at all, and what it did best was to greatly inhibit brake cooling.

Most of the extraneous junk slathered onto modern performance cars is useless imo, and especially so in these days of rigid speed enforcement - except as a 'telltale' indicator for police and thieves!

Ferrer
11-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Most of the extraneous junk slathered onto modern performance cars is useless imo, and especially so in these days of rigid speed enforcement - except as a 'telltale' indicator for police and thieves!
There's so much more than top speed for the car enthusiast, nota. ;)

And also the proper petrolhead still knows where to find that deserted mountain road to have fun with his or her performance car. :)

ThisBlood147
11-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Ya think that's bad.........check out this Daytona a la Challenger replica.:confused: I wonder if the speedometer reads out in knots. :D

http://www.hppcars.com/Gallery/Daytona_Development/index.htm

LeonOfTheDead
11-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Seems like this year at SEMA half the car were Camaro dressed like a Pontiac, some Challenger playing the monster and the usual lineup of ultratuned Mustangs. Nothing new then.

NSXType-R
11-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Ya think that's bad.........check out this Daytona a la Challenger replica.:confused: I wonder if the speedometer reads out in knots. :D

Daytona_Development (http://www.hppcars.com/Gallery/Daytona_Development/index.htm)

Wow, what a boat!

Mouse
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Step 1: Create a box, its ok if it looks bad, the next two steps will make it way better.
Step 2: Inflate. It already looks way better!
Step 3: Add a ridiculous bumper and styling. !COOLEST CAR EVAR!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/e99avant99e/SUPERCOOL.jpg

I really don't get it. I don't care for this kind of styling, which, thankfully only stayed within the American car industry. I would cry if more car manufacturers adopted this trend.
I don't have anything against American cars, just the recent trend in styling.

ScionDriver
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM
All three are bad but the second one that Ferrer posted the Bandit car is better, but still not good.

cargirl1990
11-17-2009, 10:40 AM
That car is filled with win, I must say. I really like it!:D

HOT ROD
11-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I do not give a ..... 'bout modern cars. I just don't give a .... 'bout 'em. And it will always be so.

I really like this car. Looks good, drives good, and I like it.
A real beauty and a beast. Like a Muscle Car should be. And I want one again!

http://media.motortopia.com/files/16523/vehicle/49585dd955f10/Mikes_Red_73_455_SD_TA_006.jpg

Check out John Wayne in "MC Q" on youtube and get hooked on a T/A!
http://imcdb.org/images/001/097.jpg

I do not like the '67-69 Birds really too much. I Do like the 1st gen Camaros, but not the Firebirds for some reason. Love the GTO's though. My favourites are '67 GTO's and Super Duty Catalinas from the early 60's and the 2nd Gen (especially '70-'73 Bullnose) Birds.
Rip Ponitac u ruled! Even the Trans Ams till '79 were pretty cool with big blocks with potential for tuning. But then the modern cars came, that I don't give a ..... 'bout.

AERO_HDT
12-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Got teef?

;)

Just kiddin' mate, hehe. Actually I've recently fallen in love again with the 73-77 Firebirds, and I really think that they looked a lot better than Camaros of the same period. The TA422 with that stonking 400 cube engine is simply to die for, expecially considering how underdone it was.

I think the 70's are due for a comeback, a lot of us remember the 70's muscle quite fondly and whilst it may be the aftermath of the '60s hero cars, it represents a time in history that is very unique and is unlikely to be seen again. Its amazing that muscle cars even existed through that decade, as in theory, they should have died in 1971.