PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: One "slightly used" Porsche 914 ball joint

Egg Nog
05-18-2004, 06:51 PM
So this is why I've been having so much steering trouble :rolleyes:

I replaced the front passenger side ball joint on the 914 a couple of days ago, after it popped out (by itself!). After doing the replacement work, I can see why it was squeaking, and why it took huge amounts of effor to steer. The protective boot was gone, and it was entirely dry and worn away inside.

I'm actually very lucky that it popped out when I was going about 2km/h, on a short test run just after fixing an electrical gremlin. Anyway, take a look at the old and the new :)

(The video is an example of what a balljoint should not do... for anyone who doesn't really understand, you must realise that balljoints should not seperate, unless put under stress of thousands of pounds of force)

Second picture is a little fuzzy, but the first one is clear.

Niko_Fx
05-18-2004, 08:11 PM
I didn't understood the title of the thread when I first saw it, maybe I'm half asleep but for a moment I thought that you were selling your Porsche.

Part of my mind was like "Selling his porsche???"

And the other "Naahhh he wouldn't"

;)

I'm glad you fixed your problem :)

Matra et Alpine
05-19-2004, 02:46 AM
hope no other damage when THAT dropped out.

When I first started rallying it was common to have to replace Mini balljoints ALL the time because of failures like that :( When it happens in the forest at 60+mph on a croner it's NOT fun !!

Pleased to see the UCP video support being used to demonstrate and educate :)