PDA

View Full Version : UCP Awards 2009: Car of the Decade [Nominations]

Rockefella
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Nominate your Car of the Decade here (2000-2009)

Maximum of 3 nominations per poster please, also if you decide to change your nomination please edit the original post, thank you.

Ferrer
01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
1 nomination per poster please
Only one?

That'll probably leave many worthy cars out.

Kitdy
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Only one?

Hope someone else posts it. If everyone posts 10 cars, this is gonna be a logistical nightmare.

If you chose one, it forces a lot of introspection (hopefully) and makes sure only the cream of the crop make it to the final.

Rocke, what happens if there are more than 15 cars nominated? Do you just take the first 15 or do we add more polls?

Rockefella
01-10-2010, 02:02 PM
Only one?

Hope someone else posts it. If everyone posts 10 cars, this is gonna be a logistical nightmare.

If you chose one, it forces a lot of introspection (hopefully) and makes sure only the cream of the crop make it to the final.

Rocke, what happens if there are more than 15 cars nominated? Do you just take the first 15 or do we add more polls?

Bolded part is why. If 15 posters post 7 or 8 nominations each it becomes a nightmare. I'll change it from 1 to 3 nominations per poster.

Ferrer
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM

I can see the point. Then what I'll do is wait for people to psot their cars and then choose my three.

By the way, till when will the nominations be open?

Rockefella
01-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I can see the point. Then what I'll do is wait for people to psot their cars and then choose my three.

By the way, till when will the nominations be open?

I'll close these threads next Saturday, Jan 16th, 2010

LTSmash
01-10-2010, 02:15 PM
GT3... surprised?

EDIT:

BMW 3 Series: because every jackass on the road owns one.
Toyota Prius: taking innovation and PC to the next level.

EDIT:EDIT:

Pagani Zonda: it's awesome.

coolieman1220
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Infiniti G Series! =)

(maybe in North America)

Great car, sporty handling, luxury quality. reliable and cost effective.

henk4
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I first wanted to vote for the Smart and the Prius, but then found out that they both entered production in 1997...
So:
Fiat Panda 100HP
Alfa Romeo 8C (as the most evocative shape clothing Italian techonology)
Citroen C6 (the ultimate way of showing the Gallic finger to all German premium cars)

LTSmash
01-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I first wanted to vote for the Smart and the Prius, but then found out that they both entered production in 1997...

Why not? The Smart and Prius each have generations made only in the 00's. Wouldn't that count?

cmcpokey
01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
R53 Mini Cooper S.

An outstanding Frank Stephenson design, inside and out, excellent performance for a reasonable price, and virtually invented the premium small car market.

henk4
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Why not? The Smart and Prius each have generations made only in the 00's. Wouldn't that count?
I would count them as the cars from the previous decade....

Revo
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Alfa Romeo 159 (2006)
Mini (2001)
Maserati Quattroporte (2004)

I'd like to comment that decade in question was full of fantastic cars, I could easily nominate thirty instead of three canditates. However, all of that means nothing.

In the real world, people vote with their wallets. Hence the real UCP COTD can be found in Users ride section.

Maxda RX-8
Citroen C5
Lancia Delta
BMW 1-series
Fiat Punto
Alfa 159
just a few examples from the top of my head.

quite a worthy list IMO.

70cuda88
01-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Well for just sheer innovations and ridiculousness, the Bugatti Veyron.

In the look department, definitely the Alfa Romeo 8C.

They're kind of cleche, but aren't the cleches the ones that usually win these sorts of awards?

f6fhellcat13
01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Neue MINI
C6 'Vette
Ford Focus (Despite being launched in '98)

Honorable mention: GTO/Monaro
EDIT: Tata Nano should also be included(by someone else). Damn, this is hard.

Kitdy
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I think that you should chose specifically what model of car it was.

coolie nominated the G, but what generation of G specifically?

I think the Prius should count, as long as it's the second or third generation being nominated.

I think we should use model/generation/years to further refine people's choices.

Ferrer
01-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I think the Prius should count, as long as it's the second or third generation being nominated.
Second gen is definitely bang on as it was introduced and sold in that decade. It was also the car that popularised hybrids and technology.

Agreed with Revo there many wortyh cars. Disagree though that people vote with their wallets though, because some cars that are worthy of a COTD nomination are unattainable for most wallets or sometimes overlooked or not available. And those are still game changers.

My list should include cars like Honda FCX Clarity, Toyota Prius, Bugatti Veyron, Nissan GT-R, Toyota iQ, Tata Nano, Volkswagen Phaeton, the New Mini Mk I or the BMW 7-Series E65.

(And those are not my nominees, yet. I'll wait some more)

cmcpokey
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
the phaeton? really? that was a complete non-car. none sold, it was a badge engineered A8, and it had completely derivative styling. how would that fit on the list at all?

Ferrer
01-10-2010, 04:24 PM
the phaeton? really? that was a complete non-car. none sold, it was a badge engineered A8, and it had completely derivative styling. how would that fit on the list at all?
It wasn't at all. Its platform was completely bespoke for it, later shared with the junior Bentleys.

In many ways it's a bit like the Veyron, only a lot more underrated. It was the car the Ferdinand Piech wanted to gift the world for his retirement. And as a result it was, and is, and engineering masterpiece. He listed 10 or so requirements, and half of the engineering team resigned, saying the were just impossible.

I know it's been a complete flop, but that's just because people are such badge snobs. As a car, it's excellent.

Niko_Fx
01-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Pagani Zonda - Introduced at the Geneva Auto Show in 1999, not sure when the first one was delivered.. Most of its models where introduced in the 2000s though (C12S, F, Cinque Roadster, etc..) It deserves to be on the COTD list imo.

01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Bugatti Veyron for being the over engineered monster that broke the one tonne.

Lamborghini Murcielago in any guise because it is, to me at least, the definitive super car of the decade.

And maybe some other one I'll think of later

IBrake4Rainbows
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Something that defines a decade of excess, failure, environmental awareness and the shortcomings of an American system in deep crisis.

The Hummer H2.

Cobrafan427
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Cadillac CTS (no explanation needed)
BMW 3 Series (As previously stated, everyone w/ some money to spend has one)
Toyota Camry (reliability, and sheer popularity)

SilverG35SportC
01-11-2010, 06:42 AM
(In no order)
1. Nissan (R35) GT-R = For being even better than expected (even after such a long wait), and for setting a new bench mark for rivals like the 911 Turbo.

2. Toyota Prius = For being the first (truly) mass-market hybrid. It may not be the smartest, best looking, or even greenest car available in the segment....but every other car apes it. (New Insight anyone?)

3. Porsche Cayenne (all generations) = For being desirable even though its ugly. Car fans want a Turbo for the speed, soccer moms want a 'Porsche SUV', so win-win. And it sold like half-price cigarettes too. (Im sure many of you will disagree, but after thinking for a while I cant think of a car that has changed so many opinions...or sold like it.)

SilverG35SportC
01-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Lamborghini Murcielago in any guise because it is, to me at least, the definitive super car of the decade.

That was tied for me with the Cayenne. I agree 100%:cool:

NicFromLA
01-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Ferrari 430 Scuderia

Mini Cooper S

Porsche Cayenne Turbo (post facelift)

Runners Up: Toyota Prius, BMW 335d, Audi R8

Street_Dreamer
01-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Pagani Zonda - Introduced at the Geneva Auto Show in 1999, not sure when the first one was delivered.. Most of its models where introduced in the 2000s though (C12S, F, Cinque Roadster, etc..) It deserves to be on the COTD list imo.Thank you for nominating that; it was going straight to the top of my list, so I've still got 3 left.

Presumably the 8C Spider comes under "Alfa Romeo 8C", so i'll omit that.

Mk5 Golf GTi - An amazing car. It's good looking, brilliant to drive, reliable (well, my brother's has been), practical, quick and most of all, it took VW back to the top of the hot hatch pile, with the Focus ST.

Mercedes CLS - Beautiful car, inside and out. Instantly recognisable without being in-your-face. I haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but have heard it's bloody good. Has inspired many firms to try out something similar themselves (Passat CC and the forthcoming Audi A7)

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4 - Now, the previous Gallardo was certainly special, but Lamborghini kicked it up a notch with the LP560-4, with much more aggressive bodywork and increased power output. It's been quite the success for Lambo as well, which always helps.

LeonOfTheDead
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Pagani Zonda - Introduced at the Geneva Auto Show in 1999, not sure when the first one was delivered.. Most of its models where introduced in the 2000s though (C12S, F, Cinque Roadster, etc..) It deserves to be on the COTD list imo.

The first Zonda (C12) to be delivered to a customer was chassis #3, a yellow car, and should have been delivered in the year 2000, or late 1999 at best.
It was spotted at the factory while being finished together with chassis #8, the first Zonda S 7.0 car, which was unveiled that same year.
The very first Zonda, chassis #1, was crash tested in 1998 at the Mira testing Facilities, for the record.

:)

wwgkd
01-11-2010, 05:44 PM
New mini. For making small hot in the US again.
Chrysler 300/300C. Outdated now but was the most award winning car ever in north america (helped it edge out the CTS and 3 series for me)
430 Scuderia. Cause do want.

Would have added the Elise for being fast fun and effecient, but it hasn't had major updates in this decade, has it?

csl177
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Something that defines a decade of excess, failure, environmental awareness and the shortcomings of an American system in deep crisis.

The Hummer H2.

I lolwut... but you are absolutely dead on. :( What could be more appropriate as COTD for the USA?

For the ROW it'll take some further thought...

Sledgehammer
01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Its weird, but my favorite car of the last ten years is the Noble m12 GTO-3R. I know it may not have be well known, and the interior isnt the most appealing, oh and you have to buy one without a motor, and you have to get it specially registered as a kit car, and their are very few of them, and yes it is too expensive for me, and all the other things not mentioned. But, given the keys to any car that I would and could drive, I think I would be reaching for the Noble 9/10.

Ferrer
01-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Its weird, but my favorite car of the last ten years is the Noble m12 GTO-3R. I know it may not have be well known, and the interior isnt the most appealing, oh and you have to buy one without a motor, and you have to get it specially registered as a kit car, and their are very few of them, and yes it is too expensive for me, and all the other things not mentioned. But, given the keys to any car that I would and could drive, I think I would be reaching for the Noble 9/10.
You are great at selling ideas... :D

Ferrer
01-16-2010, 12:20 PM
My nominations.

Honda FCX Clarity, Toyota iQ, Tata Nano.

nota
01-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Tata Nano
Toyota Prius (2009 best-selling car outright in Japan!)
Tesla

Considering some other nominations are of distinctly 'mainstream' vehicles, then why not Ford Falcon FG ??
Ford-Oz began the last decade with the infamous, foreign inspired Falcon AU, a primitive ugly uncompetitive downmarket failure that was way off the mark(et) and could only sell on price. They have since toiled away despite a minimal budget to progressively improve, refine and resurrect the original dunger into what imo is one of today's most appealing, effective and value-laden large car platforms.

The Falcon is a great car, regardless the age of the platform and drivetrain. Ford Aus have developed the hell out of this car and everyone knows it. Whatever Ford decides to replace it with better be fecking awesome, and from accounts I've read, the new Taurus [and Mondeo] isn't close to meeting the standard.
^^ Quoted [and edited] For Truth

Ferrer
01-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Tesla... Well thought!

Kitdy
01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
So I've made a list of the nominations so far. There are a few problems.

Porsche 911 GT3 (specify which model LTSmash)

Infiniti G Series (specify which model coolieman1220)

Fiat Panda 100 HP

Alfa Romeo 8C

Citroen C6

R53 Mini Cooper S

Alfa Romeo 159 (2006)

Mini (2001)

Maserati Quattroporte (2004)

Bugatti Veyron

Neue MINI (Specify f6hellcat13)

Corvette C6 (Specify f6hellcat13 – base model or what?)

Pagani Zonda (Specify which model Niko_Fx)

Hummer H2

Cadillac CTS (Specify which model Cobrafan427)

BMW 3 Series (Specify which model Cobrafan427)

Toyota Camry (Specify which model Cobrafan427)

Nissan GT-R R35

Toyota Prius

Porsche Cayenne

Ferrari F430 Scuderia

Mini Cooper S (Specify which model NicFromLA)

Golf GTi MkV

Mercedes Benz CLS

Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4

New Mini (specify which model wwgkd)

Chrysler 300/300C – pick one wwgkd

Noble M12 GTO-3R – is this even a nomination Sledgehammer?

Honda FCX Clarity

Toyota iQ

Tata Nano

Tesla – which one nota?

I count about 31 nominations. We also have to decide if specific models need be nominated, ie E92 335i, or blanket models like the E90-E93 3 Series.

We have 2 Cayenne nominations on the list - one for a specific Turbo, the other which is either the base model or blanket. What do we do? What about the 300/300C? Which is to be considered?

Ferrer
01-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Blanket models. What's the point of having a grea GTI if the 1.2 GL is rubbish?

Kitdy
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Blanket models. What's the point of having a grea GTI if the 1.2 GL is rubbish?

I dunno what I feel about this. We can debate I suppose but ultimately Rocke makes the call as he's the one running them.

On that matter, Rocke once we get this shit resolved you gotta get the voting threads up. Or I could.

Or something.

Ferrer
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
I think we'll have to do it ourselves.

What's everybody elses opinion on blanket or specific models?

wwgkd
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Blanket model. So the 300 and 300C would both be covered, since it's largely an engine option.

Kitdy
01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Blanket model. So the 300 and 300C would both be covered, since it's largely an engine option.

I'm comfortable with a consensus of 2 people... and an ambivalent third.

cmcpokey
01-25-2010, 07:28 PM
consider me supportive as well of blanket models.

Rockefella
01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Blanket models, definitely. Polls will be coming this week.

LTSmash
01-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Porsche 911 GT3 (specify which model LTSmash)

Well I was just thinking GT3 across* the board but if we must choose... how about the original (996 GT3 Mk1) because it started a decade long production of hardcore track-focused Porsches.

... and the 997 RS Mk2 for awesome-ness.

nota
01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Tesla – which one nota?

Kidty, I meant the in-general 2-seater (is there another Tesla in production?) in the same way that other model-ranges (eg Citroen C6 and Benz CLS etc) appear as non-specific 'blanket' nominations. :)

ruim20
01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Since i prefer model descrimination and because like Ferrer said, gti/1.2gl...

Mazda Mx-5 2.0

Lotus Elise SC

VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI

Kitdy
01-26-2010, 03:00 AM
Since i prefer model descrimination and because like Ferrer said, gti/1.2gl...

Mazda Mx-5 2.0

Lotus Elise SC

VW Phaeton 3.0 TDI

It's too late for nominations I think. Rocke said a week after the threads were made was the end as far as I can recall.

ruim20
01-26-2010, 03:18 AM
It's too late for nominations I think. Rocke said a week after the threads were made was the end as far as I can recall.

OH, Shame :S

Ferrer
01-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Well, I think one if your nominees is worth the award, and like the other two. So I vote for an exception... :p

Rockefella
01-26-2010, 11:28 AM

Nominations will be accepted until I make the voting threads. Anything that is/has been posted by that time will be valid. Feel free to nominate.

Sledgehammer
01-26-2010, 08:12 PM
That will indeed by my nomination, as outragous as it is. And to blanket the model just go with the easy Noble m12

baddabang
01-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Ferrari Enzo.

Cobrafan427
01-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Yeah blanket models b/c both generations of CTS were a giant successes and the V version is one of the best sport sedans you can buy for the money. The 3 series has been solid and still sold well even after the "controversial" Bangle design. And Camry b/c of the reliability and cheap price all decade long.

Jack_Bauer
01-28-2010, 02:50 AM
Lambo Murcielago - classic Lambo exuberance, tempered by Germanic solidity, restraint and safety. The perfect blend; the birth of the 21st century 'everyman' supercar.

TVR Tuscan (mkI) - just for having the most insanely original styling of the decade, with handling and performance almost as mad as the styling.

Porsche Carrera GT - best looking Porsche for decades, technologically dazzling yet with a surprisingly old school feeling of danger and excitement from behind the wheel. Not a supercar for the feint of heart.

Cyco
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Aston Martin DB9 - The car that relaunched a brand

nota
01-28-2010, 09:24 AM
UCP Award Nominations: [insert supercar here]

:D

Rockefella
02-02-2010, 10:20 PM
If anyone else wants to do the voting threads and figure out some kind of structure feel free

I've thought about how I want to do this over the past couple of days and nothing seems to work right in my head as far as a bracket or voting structure goes -- you guys have the reigns

too many nominations for a 1 page 15 option poll, don't like doing multiple polls, seems skewed

maybe we have a panel decide the best 15, but how we do that fairly, i have no idea

Lets see what happens

ps - this applies to CotY and CotD

pss - i keep hitting the enter button because i dont have a period button on this laptop its broken

Kitdy
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I say we just do multiple threads. I can post the voting threads I suppose.

What say you guys?

cmcpokey
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
maybe take top 5 of each voting thread to leverage them a bit.

Ferrer
02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Put all the supercars in one thread though.

Kitdy
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
maybe take top 5 of each voting thread to leverage them a bit.

I can see that.

Put all the supercars in one thread though.

Screw you. I will put them in the order they were nominated.

Kitdy
02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Nominations so far:

Infiniti G Series - Which Generation coolieman?

Fiat Panda 100 HP

Alfa Romeo 8C

Citroen C6

Alfa Romeo 159

Maserati Quattroporte

Bugatti Veyron

Corvette C6

Pagani Zonda

Hummer H2

Cadillac CTS - Even with blanket nominations, we need which generation Cobrafan427

BMW 3 Series - Which generation Cobrafan427?

Toyota Camry - Which generation Cobrafan427

Nissan GT-R R35

Toyota Prius - Which Generation LTSmash?

Porsche Cayenne

Ferrari F430 Scuderia

Mini R53

Golf GTi MkV

Mercedes Benz CLS

Lamborghini Gallardo

Chrysler 300

Noble M12

Honda FCX Clarity

Toyota iQ

Tata Nano

Tesla Roadster

Porsche 996 911 GT3

Lamborghini Murcielago

TVR Tuscan

Aston Martin DB9

Mazda MX-5

Lotus Elise

Volkswagen Phaeton

Now a couple people listed Mini, did anyone want the R56 Mini? I figure probably not.

Ferrer
02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
If we are doing blanket it should be the Panda, not the 100HP. And the GT3 also could be considered technically just a 911.

Kitdy
02-10-2010, 03:26 PM
If we are doing blanket it should be the Panda, not the 100HP. And the GT3 also could be considered technically just a 911.

I was wondering if a GT3 was different enough to be considered another model, and as for the 100 HP I wasn't sure.

Thoughts?

ruim20
02-11-2010, 02:21 AM
I was wondering if a GT3 was different enough to be considered another model, and as for the 100 HP I wasn't sure.

Thoughts?

You did list the Panda as the 100hp and the Golf as the GTI, i think all cars should have full names, the GTI is a better car than the rest of the range, just like tha panda 100hp is better than the ridiculous 70hp or 60hp 1.2

I would choose full name and model.

Ferrer
02-11-2010, 03:00 AM
You did list the Panda as the 100hp and the Golf as the GTI, i think all cars should have full names, the GTI is a better car than the rest of the range, just like tha panda 100hp is better than the ridiculous 70hp or 60hp 1.2

I would choose full name and model.
But then it also is the same basic car and it is more expensive. And it could be argued that more expensive models with higher profit margins allow for better engineering solutions. And a good car should be a good car full stop, not because it's more expensive it should be better.

ruim20
02-11-2010, 03:04 AM
But then it also is the same basic car and it is more expensive. And it could be argued that more expensive models with higher profit margins allow for better engineering solutions. And a good car should be a good car full stop, not because it's more expensive it should be better.

Good point, let's stick to models only without versions. a Golf Gti is a Golf and a GT3 is a 911/997.

Kitdy
02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I dunno guys, I think we are doing blanket models wrong. I think say, a CTS is a CTS as long as it isn't say a V - if the manufacturer calls it the same model then I say it should be ok. A GT3 is a different model of 911 in my eyes. A Fiat with a 1.2 or 1.4 L engine that are the same nameplate are not.

So a 323i and a 335i are to be classed as the same model - the 3 series, but I think the M3 should be different.

What do you think?

f6fhellcat13
02-15-2010, 12:57 PM
I agree, unless there is only one car within a nameplate worthy of the honor and all others are shitty. However, if this case proves relevant, too bad, I say. Let's keep it somewhat simple.

Ferrer
02-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I can see the point of the M3 versus regular 3ers. There's really quite a lot of difference, from the drivetrain, to the body, suspension, etc...

I'm not so sure about the GT3 though, it still is a rear engined, flat six, two wheel drive 911 with a manual gearbox. All of which has the regular Carrera Coupe.

We could discuss every model, but I agree with Miles, just vote. Or esle we'll actually be doing the 2010 awards at this rate.

Kitdy
02-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I can see the point of the M3 versus regular 3ers. There's really quite a lot of difference, from the drivetrain, to the body, suspension, etc...

I'm not so sure about the GT3 though, it still is a rear engined, flat six, two wheel drive 911 with a manual gearbox. All of which has the regular Carrera Coupe.

We could discuss every model, but I agree with Miles, just vote. Or esle we'll actually be doing the 2010 awards at this rate.

I am then gonna make an executive decision and make the GT3 count unless I meet an overwhelming tide of opposition.

The only think we are waiting on is coolieman to hear what generation of G he nominated.

Next decade people, be more specific.

Kitdy
02-21-2010, 02:59 AM
Ok I've sent coolieman a private message to ask him what generation of G he has selected, and I want to get this done as it's been nearly two months now, So I've decided to give him until 11:59 PM EST Sunday, February 21 (today) to clarify his selection or it will not be included.

If I remember, I will be posting the voting threads early Monday morning - someone remind me to do this please if I forget; I may be busy watching Super Sunday - the Olympics' spat of three great games of men's hockey rivalries.

To be fair, I think not including the G will make not be a big deal as I feel it was unlikely to receive many votes, and the number of people that may have voted for it that selected other cars instead will probably be small.

Bah we need to get these threads up.

Nominations are now closed otherwise.

cmcpokey
02-21-2010, 12:16 PM
i am sure he is intending the V35 generation, as that is the one he owns.