PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Shelby GT500

ThisBlood147
02-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Well the GT500 is back for the 2011 model year, and with some significant improvements:

2011 FORD SHELBY GT500 GOES LIGHTWEIGHT WITH ALUMINUM ENGINE, OFFERS ULTIMATE IN HANDLING - MustangForums.com (http://mustangforums.com/articles/2010/02/2011-ford-shelby-gt500-goes-lightweight-with-aluminum-engine-offers-ultimate-in-handling.html#more)

Ferrer
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
The new aluminium block is a welcome addition.

Now, can we have it please? :)

cargirl1990
02-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Makes sense, they should of done it already.

NicFromLA
02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Did I miss it or does this article say nothing about Ford adding independent rear suspension?

VOGUE_MAN
02-08-2010, 03:47 PM
They've saved a mammoth amount of weight by using the aluminium engine block, if most other manufactures reduced a vehicles weight by 102 pounds they'd put GTS, RS, SL or some other combination of letters after the name without a doubt. On a design note, I like the one large air intake in the bonnet more than the two smaller intakes that appear on some models.

Gunman
02-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Did I miss it or does this article say nothing about Ford adding independent rear suspension?

I doubt they will put an IRS in it. Most Mustangs end up getting drag raced where the solid rear works better.

Ferrer
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
This was interesting.

The heart of the PTWA process involves feeding a steel wire into a device that heats it up to 35,000 degrees Fahrenheit and then sprays it onto the aluminum cylinder bores. Ford is not actually the first company to use a process like this. Similar mechanisms have been used to coat the fan blades in jet engines for a number of years. One of the primary differences is that Ford is using PTWA with a conventional steel alloy rather than some super exotic aerospace material. Ford isn't even the first automaker to use this specific coating process. That honor falls to Nissan, which actually licensed the technology from Ford for use on its V6 engine in the GT-R.

So the GT-R doesn't run on whichcraft. It runs on Ford.

roosterjuicer
02-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I wonder if this one will be able to beat a base corvette?

Chevy needs to throw the zr1 engine in the camaro!!!

demonrunning07
02-08-2010, 06:39 PM
"OFFERS ULTIMATE IN HANDLING"...lmfao

I doubt they will put an IRS in it. Most Mustangs end up getting drag raced where the solid rear works better.

That and the fat, 55-year-old bald guys who this car is marketed to only care about smoking tires and Boxter-beating 0-60 times. So why would they waist the money?

coolieman1220
02-08-2010, 07:38 PM
took them 30 years to bring back the five oh!

wwgkd
02-08-2010, 08:40 PM
The new aluminium block is a welcome addition.

Now, can we have it please? :)

About freaking time. I never understood why they went from aluminum on the base to iron on the top of the line model. Why pay twice as much for understeer?

This was interesting.

So the GT-R doesn't run on whichcraft. It runs on Ford.

That is hilarious.

Edit: Rooster I doubt if it will. They're very different vehicles and not really meant to compete with each other.

andycoates
02-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Yummy :)

fpv_gtho
02-09-2010, 06:43 AM

Give it a few years, maybe 2014-2015 when the next major update for Mustang is due. The 2010 car is still based on the 2005 underneath, which was re-designed solely for the solid rear.

Take 2 on the Ford US-Ford AUS RWD collaboration should see a standard IRS Mustang get to production.

RacingManiac
02-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I think I read on Jalopnik that Ford will use IRS for the next Mustang since they will make the Mustang into a "world car" as opposed to something designed primarily for US...

NicFromLA
02-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Chevy needs to throw the zr1 engine in the camaro!!!

YES!!! I'm a Chevy hater and I think that'd be awesome.

Ferrer
02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
I think I read on Jalopnik that Ford will use IRS for the next Mustang since they will make the Mustang into a "world car" as opposed to something designed primarily for US...
Does that mean Mustang for us too?

RacingManiac
02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Possibly....As with anything the more you make the cheaper it gets...

fpv_gtho
02-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Does that mean Mustang for us too?

Maybe a few other things as well.

Ferrer
02-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Maybe a few other things as well.
Falconorpio?

ThisBlood147
02-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Yes, the Mustang is due to finally receive IRS for the 50th anniversary redesign (2014-2015). I don't think it's been officially decided if it will go global, but I know alot of the higher brass at Ford would like it to. I'm all for it......as long as the European market doesn't get a much better built variant than the North American one.:p

LeonOfTheDead
02-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes, the Mustang is due to finally receive IRS for the 50th anniversary redesign (2014-2015). I don't think it's been officially decided if it will go global, but I know alot of the higher brass at Ford would like it to. I'm all for it......as long as the European market doesn't get a much better built variant than the North American one.:p

with our fuel prices we'll get a turbo diesel variant...

no offend intended Pieter :)

f6fhellcat13
02-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm sure he'd say they are similar to most muscle car powerplants...

Ferrer
02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sure he'd say they are similar to most muscle car powerplants...
There's a fundamental difference.

Also, Ford, no point in having the GT here if it costs 50.000€.

ThisBlood147
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
There's a fundamental difference.

Also, Ford, no point in having the GT here if it costs 50.000€.

I'm sure if Ford makes the Mustang a global car, it will have additional manufacturing sites outside of the U.S. That should ensure the car is as affordable everywhere as it is here in the States. I could be wrong, but I don't see the point of trying to export a large production number car like this overseas where it will end up costing significantly more. That kind of defeats the purpose of making it a global car in the first place. Even that aside, I don't think the production facility in Flat Rock could possibly keep up with a global demand.

fpv_gtho
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM

The final decision doesn't need to be made until sometime next year probably. I believe they're also weighing up whether to keep it along the retro theme, take it more of a sports car direction or even the possibility of throwing heaps of tech at it ala Nissan GTR.

wwgkd
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
The final decision doesn't need to be made until sometime next year probably. I believe they're also weighing up whether to keep it along the retro theme, take it more of a sports car direction or even the possibility of throwing heaps of tech at it ala Nissan GTR.

I for one think they should keep it the way it is. If they want a sports car they should just build a sports car. The Mustang's been incredibly successful for a reason, don't mess with that reason. Plus, who's going to buy a Ford lolGTR?

f6fhellcat13
02-09-2010, 08:48 PM
I for one think they should keep it the way it is. If they want a sports car they should just build a sports car. The Mustang's been incredibly successful for a reason, don't mess with that reason. Plus, who's going to buy a Ford lolGTR?

Porsche?

But, agreed.

wwgkd
02-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Porsche?

But, agreed.

Hehe. I was watching the Barret Jackson auction a while ago and saw they had a Ferrari 360 who's original (and only) owner was Ford. I always figured that would make for a cool story to go with the car, but apparently no one else thought so.

LeonOfTheDead
02-10-2010, 03:10 AM
Hehe. I was watching the Barret Jackson auction a while ago and saw they had a Ferrari 360 who's original (and only) owner was Ford. I always figured that would make for a cool story to go with the car, but apparently no one else thought so.

Ferrari kept a silver Ford GT they bought for checking/copying/pasting.
I think it's the only car they kept for so long and since a lot of time. It should have been replaced by the Audi R8 after a couple of years, as the Ford wasn't seen anymore iirc.

fpv_gtho
02-10-2010, 04:16 AM

The V6 Mustang is such a large percentage of sales i cant imagine they'd stray too far from the current formula. You also cant imagine them to keep the retro themes forever either.

Ferrer
02-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Not retro, but the Mustang has a market because it's a simple, cheap, rear wheel drive sporty car. It's fine if Ford wants to make somthing else, but it wouldn't be a Mustang.

cmcpokey
02-10-2010, 10:38 AM
hence the Ford Probe

Ferrer
02-10-2010, 10:48 AM
hence the Ford Probe
How did it do in the the US? Because here, and the later Cougar, did quite poorly. Altough by the time the Cougar came the market for mid-size coupes didn't exist anymore I guess.

cmcpokey
02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
it did alright, packing respectable performance in to an attractive body shell, but it had reliability issues... you never see them around anymore, nor their MX-6 sister.

The cougar on the other hand was a complete flop.

Rasmus
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
An interesting bit of info that doesn't get mentioned most places, is that Ford has decided to brand the '11 GT500 with more SVT logos. On the '07-'09 GT500's you would be hard pressed to find a single one, as they were banking on the Shelby name. Ah, SAI, how I loathe thee.

And Ford has had aluminum 5.0 and 5.4 liter blocks out for a while now. They've just been too expensive for most people; $3k opposed to $700 for a steel one.

cargirl1990
02-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Cougars, compared with the beautiful '60's version is quite ugly so I can see why its such a flop. They were a flop here as well. I have seen some Probes but they were ricefied.

Ferrer
02-10-2010, 12:00 PM
it did alright, packing respectable performance in to an attractive body shell, but it had reliability issues... you never see them around anymore, nor their MX-6 sister.

The cougar on the other hand was a complete flop.
It's funny because we actually had an MX-6. But not a popular car here either.

LeonOfTheDead
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
The first time I saw a Probe I thought it was an imported car, or something.

I'm not sure if enough people know the Mustang and could be fine with paying so much for a large and so different Ford. Surely not with these engines and size.

roosterjuicer
02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
An interesting bit of info that doesn't get mentioned most places, is that Ford has decided to brand the '11 GT500 with more SVT logos. On the '07-'09 GT500's you would be hard pressed to find a single one, as they were banking on the Shelby name.

I think this is a good move. The Shelby name isn't as meaningful as it once was among the current generation of the mustangs target audience (my generation). The average person who automatically equates "shelby" with kickass is looking for corvettes, not mustangs.

My generation grew up with ford making several great "SVT" cars starting with the Lightning pickup which took the world by storm for a few years and then with the SVT focus, contour, and to a lesser extent, mustang Cobra. These cars were some of the better affordable performance cars of their day in their respective classes and besides the mustang cobra, they were known by the SVT monikers.

Rasmus
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I concur. Ford got burned by SAI on more than once occasion last year -- vehicles depreciating like mad at dealers, and that crashed KR debacle.

Also part of the reason why the new GT350 is a base GT purchased from a dealer, that is then transported to a Shelby for the conversion.

ThisBlood147
02-10-2010, 05:33 PM
I think that within the next couple of years you will see Ford pull away from Shelby, and the GT500 will once again be known as the SVT Cobra. SAI will likely carry on with its own aftermarket tuning models, joining the likes of Roush, Saleen, and Steeda.

Also, I'm wondering if those new narrow racing stripes will be an across the board change......or just a styling feature of the new SVT performance package. I'm not really liking them right now.

Rasmus
02-10-2010, 05:40 PM
It's only part of the SVT package. I don't particularly like them either.

fpv_gtho
02-10-2010, 10:18 PM
I think that within the next couple of years you will see Ford pull away from Shelby, and the GT500 will once again be known as the SVT Cobra. SAI will likely carry on with its own aftermarket tuning models, joining the likes of Roush, Saleen, and Steeda.

With SVT more or less merging with TeamRS for future applications, thats a fair assumption.