PDA

View Full Version : post rules?

Mustang
05-19-2004, 03:48 PM
I dont know if this has been asked yet but since we have been able o upload video files has this changed the size of pic that we are allowed to post aswell. can we now post 2mb pics or is it still 488.2kb :rolleyes:

Matra et Alpine
05-19-2004, 04:12 PM
I dont know if this has been asked yet but since we have been able o upload video files has this changed the size of pic that we are allowed to post aswell. can we now post 2mb pics or is it still 488.2kb :rolleyes:
It has been asnwered already in another thread, but to confirm pictures are still 488Lb, only videos are wllowed to be 2Mb

werty
05-19-2004, 04:13 PM
but why?

Matra et Alpine
05-19-2004, 04:27 PM
but why?
ah, well it was a compromise I proposed.
If we take all the images up to bigger size then the traffic through UCP servers will go up 4-fold and that would need re-scaling of servers, disc-arrays and communications. Could be expensive for little benefit - we're getting pretty good images already at 488Kb.

Originally i suggested keeping videos at the same size as pictures and the same attachment scheme. It was an effort to minimise change in the UCP structure and operational scaling. Most common video editor is Windows MovieMaker and there is a bug/feature which means you can't make the most common format any smaller than 2Mb !! So, it was suggested that mostly single videos would be getting posted and that one video would replace 4 picture attachments so 2Mb for video was actually no major change in potential throughput. However, it turned out NOT easy to make it one video or 4 pictures, so Wouter was happy to go with what we now have and monitor the performance and impact.

It seems ty be working out OK, what do you think ??

Mustang
05-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Ok thanks Peter i was just conforming it beause i am now going to have to re-size some o fmy pics :o