PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Snow!

coolieman1220
02-13-2010, 01:03 PM
So I'm sure you guys have all been following this bad weather we've been getting so I'm here to report in on it. Last week Saturday here in Staten Island we got about 5" of snow, not bad at all, barely anything. This past Wednesday we were dumped with about 15" of it (about 40cm for you metric ppls) It was that heavy wet snow too so a pain to shovel.

The G was obviously not driven because it was so much snow it would most likely high center and get stuck, also not having an LSD can make it a pain to drive. The side streets were terrible, major roads are fine. Most people don't clean well enough so they just throw snow in the street, also there is nowhere to put it all. When the plow does pass it either kinda cleans or makes a huge mess at intersections. Most side streets only had enough width for one car so its like playing a game of chicken. I left her in the garage

The Lexus can go through the snow but it doesn't do a good job at all. It lacks confidence especially in the turns. It likes to slide around and when the traction control kicks in it beeps at you. Then it takes over and just stops you instead of helping you. When you plow into a big pile of snow with one side you just feel the whole car turn into the snow. Its not reassuring. The amount of snow we had I probably could have gotten it stuck if i was careless.

The Q5 is amazing. On regular road its fantastic and in the snow it's a beast. Don't even have snow tires on it, OEM Michelin all seasons and it just goes. The Quattro all wheel drive system works wonders. It gets you out of anything. Never a wheel spinning. It puts traction where it needs it and just goes right out, no issues. (lets see what Ferrer says about this Audi) On snow it drives fine, no issues with sliding or handling and if you do get over zealous the ESP kicks in and straightens you out no problem. its crazy how nice it is in the snow. I went to the local mall parking lot, all 15" of snow was un touched and i drove right into it and right thru it without a problem. No problem at all in any amount of slow, its an animal! I love the Q5!

I uploaded some pics for you guys to see what we went through! Some are taken with my Nikon D200 DSLR and the others were taken with a Canon Powershot D10 (Weatherproof)

See you guys next week, i'm going to Vermont to ski!

coolieman1220
02-13-2010, 01:04 PM
And a few more...and for more check my facebook album. all pictures have been post processed in Aperture 2

Omar Ali's Photos - Snow Day 2-10-10 | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=380946&id=688745116&l=eb0ce440ae)

wwgkd
02-14-2010, 01:46 AM
No pics of snowmen and such?

Cobrafan427
02-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you guys got off easy, we got 8" the first go around and then 20" after round 2.

CdocZ
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
DC got rocked by these snows; in the space of three weeks, DC got as much snow as it did from the three largest snow storms over the past thirty years before this.

Speaking of snow-structures, an igloo was made in front of my dorm, complete with ice-forged defensive spikes.

Rockefella
02-14-2010, 09:52 PM
The first major storm missed us in Northeast NJ, not even a snowflake while places only about 50 miles south got 15+"

The second one a few days ago hit us with about 14"

We're supposed to get another 6-8" tomorrow night

wwgkd
02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm jealous. West coast is getting nothing this year.

f6fhellcat13
02-14-2010, 09:57 PM
Neither is somebody pretty close to the snow belt. (I'm near Albany)

Rockefella
02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Neither is somebody pretty close to the snow belt. (I'm near Albany)

You're at RPI right?

f6fhellcat13
02-14-2010, 10:00 PM
yeah 5charmin

NSXType-R
02-15-2010, 06:04 AM
DC got rocked by these snows; in the space of three weeks, DC got as much snow as it did from the three largest snow storms over the past thirty years before this.

Speaking of snow-structures, an igloo was made in front of my dorm, complete with ice-forged defensive spikes.

Haha, that's cool.

Always wondered how warm they are. Supposedly they are, but I'm not about to try it out.

Cobrafan427
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM
RPI? Doesn't that stand for Rennslaer (spelling?) Polytech. Institute? If so i have a friend that goes there

clutch-monkey
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
you guys and your crazy frozen water

whiteballz
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I think my head would explode with happiness if it ever snowed over here..

Its frozen horsepower.. I would have to go for a slide..

MRR
02-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Baltimore got 26.5" for the first storm and then 19.5" the second storm a couple of days later (DC got similar amounts). Stuck in the city for essentially the entirety of last week it was ridiculous.

NSXType-R
02-16-2010, 05:51 AM
We just got a little more yesterday night. Fun.

Rockefella
02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Scenic drive to work this morning

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=326487&stc=1&d=1266350285

whiteballz
02-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats awesome.. I want snow..

MRR
02-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Thats awesome.. I want snow..

No you don't especially if you are a car enthusiast (road salt and brutal cold weather are terrible for cars). In fact if you would like to trade places I would be more than happy to oblige.

Rockefella
02-16-2010, 11:05 PM
No you don't especially if you are a car enthusiast (road salt and brutal cold weather are terrible for cars). In fact if you would like to trade places I would be more than happy to oblige.

I'd agree with 'ballz if I never really got to experience snow either. It's a pretty cool natural event, we just take it for granted. And yeah, snow gets annoying after a couple of days. Nothing better than stepping into a puddle of grey sleet when it starts to melt.

NSXType-R
02-17-2010, 06:45 AM
I'd agree with 'ballz if I never really got to experience snow either. It's a pretty cool natural event, we just take it for granted. And yeah, snow gets annoying after a couple of days. Nothing better than stepping into a puddle of grey sleet when it starts to melt.

Yeah, it gets annoying after a while. It's fun when the snow is still fresh, but when the snow gets brown from dirt and rain and all, it gets disgusting.

And more annoyingly, if any snow melts and refreezes overnight, it becomes nearly impossible to walk and black ice forms. Not very fun.

Dino Scuderia
02-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Yeah, it gets annoying after a while. It's fun when the snow is still fresh, but when the snow gets brown from dirt and rain and all, it gets disgusting.

And more annoyingly, if any snow melts and refreezes overnight, it becomes nearly impossible to walk and black ice forms. Not very fun.

Yeah, I spent a week in Michigan in January 2000 while attending the NAIAS...it was cold, damp and dirty snow piled everywhere....I couldn't wait to leave there.

Rockefella
02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Guess what? The northeast US as of right now with models predicting the paths 4 days in advance are expecting...

at least a foot of snow. With some places possibly getting, drumroll...

40+ inches. (Thurs night into Saturday morning)

baddabang
02-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Epic.

MRR
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Guess what? The northeast US as of right now with models predicting the paths 4 days in advance are expecting...

Winter blows

Kitdy
02-23-2010, 06:40 AM
We had maybe 5-8 cm yesterday in Toronto/Southern Ontario, and that was the first time in weeks that there's been any "significant" snow accumulation.

Now you know how it feels.

cmcpokey
02-23-2010, 08:42 AM
with all the snow you guys have had, maybe they should have held the olympics in Jersey. the biathlon wouldn't just be a sport, it would be a necessity.

coolieman1220
02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
with all the snow you guys have had, maybe they should have held the olympics in Jersey. the biathlon wouldn't just be a sport, it would be a necessity.

very funny...but only in Newark and Trenton.

they booted us for the summer olympics which was lame. Whiteface (Lake Placid) has held the winter olympics for 2 times back in the 1930's and in 1980. I need to go ski at whiteface. snow snow snow and more snow! i'm excited, i love snow.

NSXType-R
02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Really? ForecastFox just says rain all the way through Thursday. :D

cargirl1990
02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm jealous. West coast is getting nothing this year.

Now I'M jealous.

f6fhellcat13
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
View outside my spot at the library.

Kitdy
02-23-2010, 01:51 PM

Welcome to the north, bitch.

f6fhellcat13
02-23-2010, 01:54 PM
I ain't complaining. I've never had to shovel it, it's very pretty, and it is still pretty novel for me (we've missed most of the major snow up until now). Sure, the salt is a pain in the ass and the slush is awful, but all in all I still like snow.

coolieman1220
02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

hellcat, are you in Troy NY as in upstate New York a little east of albany right near i787? that town?

f6fhellcat13
02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
The one and only. The snow tends to cover up the general crappiness of the town.

johnnynumfiv
02-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Supposed to get another foot tonight. Great. My car is already stuck in the driveway in the few inches of snow/slush/mud.

baddabang
02-23-2010, 04:41 PM
very funny...but only in Newark and Trenton.

they booted us for the summer olympics which was lame. Whiteface (Lake Placid) has held the winter olympics for 2 times back in the 1930's and in 1980. I need to go ski at whiteface. snow snow snow and more snow! i'm excited, i love snow.

Was up in Lake Placid about 3 weeks ago on my way home from Albany. Plenty of snow and Whiteface/Adirondacks rock! Such a fun drive too.

wwgkd
02-23-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't get the complaints. Sure, slush sucks to walk in (most people don't find the ice as entertaining as I do, either,) and salt rusts your fancy italian sports car, but the joys of snow more than out weigh the drawbacks. I would be out there enjoying it while I could. We got nothing here all winter and the flowers are even starting o bloom now so we seem to be SOL this year.

Rockefella
02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
Really? ForecastFox just says rain all the way through Thursday. :D

I've been glancing at the accuweather forums for the NE storm updates

Basically it's a bunch of meteorologist geeks that post like mad judging the new maps and 24/48/80 hr storm projections. They're scary good.

johnnynumfiv
02-23-2010, 08:13 PM
I don't get the complaints. Sure, slush sucks to walk in (most people don't find the ice as entertaining as I do, either,) and salt rusts your fancy italian sports car, but the joys of snow more than out weigh the drawbacks. I would be out there enjoying it while I could. We got nothing here all winter and the flowers are even starting o bloom now so we seem to be SOL this year.

It sucks when your usual 1 hour commute turns into 3 hours each way. People are morons that don't know how to drive in snow.

wwgkd
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Basically it's a bunch of meteorologist geeks that post like mad judging the new maps and 24/48/80 hr storm projections. They're scary good.

That's actually a cool way to get weather updates. I've always thought there had to be a better or at least alternative way to get weather reports than from a few overly paid tv personalities and their flunkies who don't seem to be that accurate anyways.

NSXType-R
02-23-2010, 09:03 PM

ForcastFox links directly to Accuweather, but I guess your method is a bit better, since forums probably get updated every 15 minutes or so probably.

That's actually a cool way to get weather updates. I've always thought there had to be a better or at least alternative way to get weather reports than from a few overly paid tv personalities and their flunkies who don't seem to be that accurate anyways.

Do you use Firefox? Just get the extension for it.

And Accuweather is dead on, it's been raining for the last 7 hours or so here.

Rockefella
02-24-2010, 01:41 AM

I don't check on it unless I hear of an upcoming snowstorm or blizzard. Right now they're predicting around 2 feet for my area slightly northwest of NYC with 50+ mph winds and power outages. Next week there may be another blizzard with similar snowfall.

zomg global warming

coolieman1220
02-24-2010, 07:50 AM
The one and only. The snow tends to cover up the general crappiness of the town.

oh wow i pass thru that town as i go to Vermont to go skiing at Stratton, Killington or Okemo. It's a cute little town with too much traffic for that one little main road.

Was up in Lake Placid about 3 weeks ago on my way home from Albany. Plenty of snow and Whiteface/Adirondacks rock! Such a fun drive too.

I want to go to whiteface. how is it. i hear there is good skiing there but i havn't made it that far north yet. one day!

Supposed to get another foot tonight. Great. My car is already stuck in the driveway in the few inches of snow/slush/mud.

Here in the city we're getting less but i'm excited for the ski areas!

i like walking in the slush. i wear my boots and step in it. i love watching it squsih to the side. i love driving in it too to send snow flying everywhere. yeah its messsy and all but its not that bad. i agree there are more pro's then cons.

It sucks when your usual 1 hour commute turns into 3 hours each way. People are morons that don't know how to drive in snow.

people can't drive regularly you expect them to do it right in the snow? they can't do rain either. thats why we have accidents.

f6fhellcat13
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
people can't drive regularly you expect them to do it right in the snow? they can't do rain either. thats why we have accidents.

Sometimes when I'm in a morbid mood I think of how people back home in LA would react to and drive in this. :p

cmcpokey
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Sometimes when I'm in a morbid mood I think of how people back home in LA would react to and drive in this. :p

LA people can't do cloudy days. let alone heavy rain and snow. go to tahoe and you see how californians do in snow, it aint pretty.

f6fhellcat13
02-24-2010, 08:41 AM
LA people can't do cloudy days. let alone heavy rain and snow. go to tahoe and you see how californians do in snow, it aint pretty.

I've seen more than my fair share of carnage on rainy days, so I think I'll pass.
EDIT: "Hmm, my brakes are pulsing and I'm not slowing down as quickly as usual. Why don't I yank the emergency brake?"
Cut to: Corolla riding up center divider.

baddabang
02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
I want to go to whiteface. how is it. i hear there is good skiing there but i havn't made it that far north yet. one day!

Whiteface is hands down the best skiing in the park. It probably won't be disappointing.

People that drive up here can handle snow quite well. It can be the worst storm ever and my commute will only get pushed back about 5 minutes.

NSXType-R
02-24-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't check on it unless I hear of an upcoming snowstorm or blizzard. Right now they're predicting around 2 feet for my area slightly northwest of NYC with 50+ mph winds and power outages. Next week there may be another blizzard with similar snowfall.

zomg global warming

Singular events don't dictate trends.

The only thing is, they actually need the rain. :D

wwgkd
02-24-2010, 04:53 PM

It is pretty hilarious. I still remember when I was living down there and we had a 22(!) car pileup in a 35mph zone during the first rain of the year. It was right in front of my school and it blocked the only exit, but the lulz were worth the delay.

Snow is even funnier. You see so many people putting chains on the wrong tires, or getting stuck on flat stretches of road with only a little bump in the ice where they stopped. "It's floored but we aren't going anywhere zomg!"

NSXType-R
02-24-2010, 05:14 PM
It is pretty hilarious. I still remember when I was living down there and we had a 22(!) car pileup in a 35mph zone during the first rain of the year. It was right in front of my school and it blocked the only exit, but the lulz were worth the delay.

Snow is even funnier. You see so many people putting chains on the wrong tires, or getting stuck on flat stretches of road with only a little bump in the ice where they stopped. "It's floored but we aren't going anywhere zomg!"

My cousin was on a business trip in Las Vegas when it snowed a little bit. Too bad the whole city had 3 plows. Madness ensued. :p

wwgkd
02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
My cousin was on a business trip in Las Vegas when it snowed a little bit. Too bad the whole city had 3 plows. Madness ensued. :p

The Tri Cities in eastern Washinton is like that. They got a little snow, had no plows, and ended up using construction equipment. The resulting damage to the roads made and broke quite a few local politicians careers.

NSXType-R
02-24-2010, 05:27 PM
The Tri Cities in eastern Washinton is like that. They got a little snow, had no plows, and ended up using construction equipment. The resulting damage to the roads made and broke quite a few local politicians careers.

Eastern Washington? Isn't that quite far up north? It should get snow, no?

Rockefella
02-27-2010, 03:31 PM
My buddies and I are working on completing an igloo. The yellow bucket in the picture if roughly a foot high and 2 feet wide, for comparison. And the entrance I'd say is 3 feet x 3 feet. This thing will be a behemoth when finished. Then it's party time inside the igloownage.

It should fit 15-20 standing adults when done.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=326924&stc=1&d=1267309910

wwgkd
02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Eastern Washington? Isn't that quite far up north? It should get snow, no?

Most of eastern Washington does. For some reason that part rarely does. It gets cold enough, there's just never any moisture at the same time.

Nice Rockefella. Inspired me to post some from my days at UI. None quite that big, though.

First one has stairs up, and you can actually walk around on the top. Second is just two with a connecting tunnel. Third is a snowman impaled by a lightpole, with coolaid "blood" for added effect. On the last two I didn't think to take a picture until after they had melted a bit, but you get the idea.

cmcpokey
02-27-2010, 04:08 PM
how much snow did you end up getting damian?

Rockefella
02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
~18 inchez

cargirl1990
02-27-2010, 07:14 PM
I'd build an igloo but I'm such a wuss when it comes to winter weather. You guys are pretty good at that!

Rockefella
02-27-2010, 07:46 PM
We added another layer of blocks to up the height by about 2 feet now everyones lost motivation and doubt we'll cap it. I won't give up though. On another note someone up the block from me built a two story snowman that was featured on NBC 4 ny news. I'll try to get a pic of it later.

Niko_Fx
02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
My buddies and I

Then it's party time inside the igloownage.

That's some gay shit right there.

Rockefella
02-28-2010, 02:02 AM

There'll be women there serving sandwiches

Niko_Fx
02-28-2010, 06:11 PM
There'll be women there serving sandwiches

Much better!

baddabang
02-28-2010, 06:47 PM
So the igloo has a kitchen?

wwgkd
02-28-2010, 06:52 PM
So the igloo has a kitchen?

What full featured modern igloo doesn't?

coolieman1220
02-28-2010, 07:45 PM
We just got a foot of snow over here in NYC and we decided to try to build an igloo in a pile of snow across the street from our house where we piled all of our snow from this storm and the last. The igloo came along well, it wasn't standing height but it was sitting height. we could fit about 8 people inside. Problem was it was still a little warm and we made it too big so it had no structural support and it eventually caved in. It was fun while it lasted and it was a lot of hard work! Very heavy snow!

coolieman1220
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
We also decided to bury my buddies car. glad its a POS because all the weight kinda made the hood sink in a bit. whoops?

coolieman1220
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
then i heard Hunter Mtn (upstate NY) recieved 7 feet of snow in less then a week. My brother and I decided to go skiing to see what it would be like. The fresh powder was insane. I had trouble as it was my first time in that much fresh snow and i'm used to groomed trails. The snow was so deep i got stuck numerous times and as you can see my poles sank all the way down. We got stuck on the lift for a good 20 minutes and there was so much snow that the guy behind us didn't want to wait and jumped off the lift. he landed neck deep in snow. My brother ended up hugging a tree in a glade. in the parking lot i saw a snow covered 911 996. i walked up and wiped the back to see if it was a 4S but no it was a regular carrera S. i was shocked! imagine driving that thing in the snow? crazy. So so much snow!

for more pics, there's always my facebook album!

Omar Ali's Photos - Skiing @ Hunter | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=389790&id=688745116&l=9ed06f590e)

Enjoy!

clutch-monkey
02-28-2010, 09:40 PM
i walked up and wiped the back to see if it was a 4S but no it was a regular carrera S. i was shocked! imagine driving that thing in the snow? crazy.
?
why's that? i know dad had no issues driving the GT3 in the snow when he visited perisher.

coolieman1220
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
?
why's that? i know dad had no issues driving the GT3 in the snow when he visited perisher.

they got 7 feet! tahts a lot! i figured a regular 911 would handle great. but i figured one up here would be a 4S. i know at most our car dealers if cars have awd option, most on the lot are.

Cyco
03-01-2010, 07:58 AM
YouTube - Porsche 911 racing and drifting on snow at the Nordschleife

This video doesn't show any problems with 2wd in the snow

cargirl1990
03-02-2010, 10:59 AM

LOL! Highlight of my day.

kvisser
03-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, coming to this thread a little late but with the 51 inches of snow we had, I made a killer snow tube track for the kids (and adults) It had 4 major banked turns and was lit by tiki lamps for night sliding. I cut a separate path to the right, keeping everyone off the track. Each foot of that path was at least 5 shovels due to the depth of the snow. I ended up getting tendinitus in my arm from all the shoveling.

My only good snow tube broke the second night of the run. I was bummed. There was not a snow tube to be found on the east coast. I eventually bought a truck inner tube. i cut open the damaged snow tube and duct taped the inner tube back inside. It worked pretty good.

We had a good 10 days of fun with the track. I bought a fire pit and set up benches around that. I even cranked up the margarita machine for the party on a Saturday night. We did up the smores and shots of liquor for the adults in the crowd.

henk4
03-24-2010, 11:49 AM
that looks great, and the track seems far less dangerous compared to the Vancouver bob track....good shots too...

csl177
03-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Cool slide, snow toys look like so much fun! Winter's a blast for kids, not so much for adults:
YouTube - It Looked Like a Parking Spot

kvisser
03-24-2010, 01:16 PM
that looks great, and the track seems far less dangerous compared to the Vancouver bob track....good shots too...

At night, when it froze back up, it sounded like the luge track. The kids really flew down the hill, riding the rim of the big turn at the bottom. We survived with no accidents and lots of memories.

On the last night of the run, I had the first annual lighting of the xmas tree. It took a good 13 seconds to be fully engulfed! Becareful when you're at home with one of these things!

regards

ken

henk4
03-24-2010, 01:20 PM
everything in our tree is artificial, including the tree itself....(and nobody is allowed to burn redundant trees in their gardens)

PRC777
03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Spring is finally in the freakin' air. :cool: