PDA

View Full Version : what type of race is your favorite?

mattgras1124
05-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Drift, Drag ,Circuit, or Sprint? I say drag!

Sweeney921
05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
definitely circuit

ace
05-19-2004, 07:53 PM
I voted circuit (more fun for the driver for longer) :D
but I do like drag racing also. :cool:
can drifting be considered racing??? (just my opinion) :p

Waatz
05-19-2004, 10:55 PM
I think drift is kinda like "anti-racing" lets see how poorly we can set up our traction and go for it!! (looks like fun though, and I know it does take skill to set up a car to drift)
BUT I am definitly a circuit fan, I like seeing drivers chinging gears, passing and diving deep under brakes.

I would realy like to set up a "Soap Box Derby" in my town, I think that would be wikid just using gravity as your engine.

SilverArrowZ
05-19-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm with circuit, look at my avatar :D

i like drift and drag too, but i'm wondering if the smoke from the tire are toxic or not

IBrake4Rainbows
05-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I voted Drift, i like circuits, but sometimes they can get a bit tedious, and watching a drift crash seems to be more exciting, after all, thats all i watch races for really :(

fordfan2
05-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I voted for circuit as it's the most exciting form of racing although i do like drag cars bettr so not sure if the poll was for the cars i'd choose drag. I love it when the superchargers stick out of the bonnet looks sooooo good.

Matra et Alpine
05-20-2004, 01:34 AM
you missed out rallying
and rallycross - still the home of some of the fastest cars.

oh and for the intelligent memebers how about swamp-byggy racing ??

Rallying is my number one for competiing and live spectating but "lack of overtaking" makes it a misunderstood sport for oval fans :)

whiteballz
05-20-2004, 01:53 AM
rally, the only place where holden cant race! hahahah
rallying is i agree, by FAR the best, BUT! there is the danger fact, im not sure if you guys know about a canberra rally stage called mineshaft, but its LETHAL. about 30/40 meters of gravel, sloped to over 45 degrees, most cars slow down, but one evo driver went full pelt and got about 3/4 the way down the hill, before landing smack on his nose, the car had NO damage, but the co-driver, (because he couldnt see what was coming up) didnt have time to brace himself like the driver did, and i think poped a disc in his back, and had to go to hospital, a very big deal on that stage, many-a driver have had close calls there or have rolled because the track isnt exactly unbanked on the sides if they hadent landed propperly.. very scary stuff... still the best looking cars in it though!

IBrake4Rainbows
05-20-2004, 01:55 AM
If we had rallying, i'd choose that. The accidents are even better than drifting!

Matra et Alpine
05-20-2004, 02:42 AM
BUT! there is the danger fact, im not sure if you guys know about a canberra rally stage called mineshaft, but its LETHAL. about 30/40 meters of gravel, sloped to over 45 degrees,..... very scary stuff... still the best looking cars in it though!
TV does NOT do justice to the roads on the MOnte-Carlo. Only till you drive on them do you really appreciate the skill and courage of a rally driver !!
Unfortunatley, there are still too many deaths and Scottish rallying lost one of its club stalwarts last year on the Isle of Mull. Those who don't survive will always be remembered.
One of the most remarkable escapes was Scottish lass and ladies World Champion Louse Aitken-Walker who rolled in a forest stage in Portugal. Hit most of the trees on the way down the hill and ended up invertted in a lake. So, lucky. She seemed to lose some edge after that and understandable.

Tian Thorner, her nav, said " But my worst accident was in 1999 when the car left the road, we fell hundreds of feet down a cliff and into water. We were trapped under five metres of water. You know you have just seconds. I sat in the car and I thought to myself this was it, I was going to die, I could not get my door open because it had been crushed by the accident. Then I somehow managed to crawl out of the rally cage; to this day I don’t really know how. The crash was so serious I lost my sight for a while"

whiteballz
05-20-2004, 02:57 AM
thats a strange feat from the nav... anyway, you seem to think i dont appreciate the skill of rally driving, rally drivers would be some of the best in the world. anyway, the mineshaft stage is scary as all hell, its lethal as i said before, scary as all hell*. im sure tarmac racing has just as many deaths, but none of the stewards etc.

* quoted from one local driver

i remember i think last year or the year before that, cody crocker went rocketing into the forest after hitting a deep rut at the wrong angle, at i think 150 kph, and rolled 5/7 times. an amature vid showed codys limp car - one wheel and almost all body work, trying to get its way out of the forested area! he has the heart of a lion, determined as all hell he is, he has taken the place of the late possum bourne.

Matra et Alpine
05-20-2004, 03:11 AM
thats a strange feat from the nav huh ? :confused:
... anyway, you seem to think i dont appreciate the skill of rally driving,
no I was concurring with your comments on MINESHAFT and expanding for the benefit of otheres who may not have seen rallying.

im sure tarmac racing has just as many deaths, but none of the stewards etc.
do you mean illegal road races ?
Circuit racing is extremely safe thanks to run-off, gravel and tyres barriers.
No 50+ year old trees to hit.
For REAL scary not much takes the Isle of Man TT. Try 150+mph on normal streets through small villages, trees and NO barriers or run-off. oh and it's a bike, so getting it wrong is serious.

whiteballz
05-20-2004, 03:18 AM
as in the nav cant remeber how they got out of the car, if the crash was enough to blind him for a while! you know, you hear of feats of strength and all...

isle of man tt eh? sounds way to dangerous for me... (this coming from someone who rides up trees)

Matra et Alpine
05-20-2004, 03:34 AM
as in the nav cant remeber how they got out of the car, if the crash was enough to blind him for a while! you know, you hear of feats of strength and all...
spotted typo, in orig, her name is Tina - she :)
It's quite common after accidents and especially those involving race/rally speeds and impacts to not remember parts or all of it and yet recall clearly individual points.
I've been lucky that all my track offs are remembered - even the ones I try HARD to forget.
But I've had a few offs in rallying as driver and nav where bits I dont' remember. I hit a huge hole whjilet recc'ing which launched the car, hit barrier, THEN crossed and changed direction, hit another barrier and buried in a post.
I remember up to the barrier vividly :) after that I have CLEAR recollection of my leg/groin muscles tearing and the final point of impact and IT is in slow motion. THe near 200m in between and the 180 change of direction I've NO knowledge of. The attending marshals, friends and accident folks say it's clear I came of the brakes and back onto power a few times to recover AFTER the first impact and continue. NO recollection of it AT ALL. yet I came off the brake, back on the power and had it on opposite lock. So I wasn't completely out of it.
I was in hopsital after that one :(.
It's fascinating how we seem to compress/expand time in accidents and as you say "feats of strength", I can fully understand where Tina is coming from !

Coventrysucks
05-20-2004, 03:50 AM
How about a spot of Formula Offroad?

http://www.4x4-racing.com/images/nfoc/vormsund1-01/fredrik2.jpg
http://www.4x4-racing.com/images/nfoc/vormsund1-01/fredrik3.jpg
http://www.4x4-racing.com/images/nfoc/vormsund1-01/fredrik4.jpg

90° slopes? No problem! :)

Matra et Alpine
05-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Crazy Icelandics :)

( oops the thought police be after me for my nationalist/racist remarks !! WGAF )

Mustang
05-20-2004, 05:44 AM
I agree with matra id go for rallying