PDA

View Full Version : Great Celebrity Garages

my porsche
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Yes, I am this bored. If it came down to either browsing famous peoples' garage photos or studying for both a pathobiology test and a calculus 2 test, you'd do the same. :D

So what have you guys got? I'm sure since I can only list great American collectors off the top of my head, some European members will come to the rescue here.

Jerry Seinfeld is rumored to have one of the best Porsche collections in existence (959, very first and very last 911 produced etc) but I can't seem to find any pictures...odd.

Jay Leno (http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/photos/)

Ralph Lauren (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/10/09/ralph-laurens-car-collection-in-pictures/)

Don Wallace (http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/photography/126036-pix-don-wallaces-collection-mclaren-f1-veyron-pur-sang-clk-gtr-911-gt1-etc.html)

coolieman1220
04-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Jerry Seinfeld is rumored to have one of the best Porsche collections in existence (959, very first and very last 911 produced etc) but I can't seem to find any pictures...odd.

he has one of the only 959's in the US. lucky guy but its not street legal. it will be after 25 years though.

NSXType-R
04-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I haven't seen any photos of Aaron Kwok's car collection, but he supposedly owns a whole bunch.

Aaron Kwok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know for sure he owns a Pagani Zonda one of only a few in Hong Kong.

NicFromLA
04-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Ralph Lauren's collection is to me by far the most desirable.

pimento
04-24-2010, 05:18 PM
And then of course there's the Sultan of Brunei and his family.

VOGUE_MAN
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I have always felt Ralph Lauren's collection was more about quality than quantity and as such I've always admired his collection greatly. However I will not deny that Don Wallace seems to have a nice gathering of recent history super cars.

csl177
04-24-2010, 10:43 PM
he has one of the only 959's in the US. lucky guy but its not street legal. it will be after 25 years though.

They can be driven for "display" though mileage is limited. The owner of Pelican Parts (a Californian) motored his all around Monterey last year, and was part of our group that drove down Carmel Valley Road to a vinyard.

pimento
04-25-2010, 12:20 AM
That's handy.. 'No officer, I wasn't driving to the shops.. I'm going to display it in the carpark for five minutes while I get some milk...'

aiasib
04-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Last I heard the the Sultan had approximately 155 Rolls Royces in his garage...not to mention the custom one-offs.

Now that is desirable.

LeonOfTheDead
04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I haven't seen any photos of Aaron Kwok's car collection, but he supposedly owns a whole bunch.

Aaron Kwok - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Kwok)

I know for sure he owns a Pagani Zonda one of only a few in Hong Kong.

Actually HK is the largest market for Pagani, 1/5 of all Zondas are there as of now. There is also a car (the one which was crashed a while ago) which is identical to Knok's, only the interior is slightly different (alcantara instead of leather on the dashboard) but otherwise you couldn't spot any other difference.

my porsche
04-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Ralph Lauren's collection is to me by far the most desirable.

I have always felt Ralph Lauren's collection was more about quality than quantity and as such I've always admired his collection greatly. However I will not deny that Don Wallace seems to have a nice gathering of recent history super cars.

I agree, his immaculate taste definitely carries over into his automobiles. But then again, it's Ralph Lauren, what did you expect? :D

He definitely has a large collection. I'd sell off 99% of it if I somehow acquired it though. Some of that stuff is just straight tacky.

Last I heard the the Sultan had approximately 155 Rolls Royces in his garage...not to mention the custom one-offs.

Now that is desirable.
According to Wikipedia (as we all know, the definitive source for true information) it's 500. What a terrible investment. :p

What about Nick Mason, does he have anything of note besides the 250 GTO (as if that isn't enough, what, being the most beautiful production car ever made and all)?

NSXType-R
04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Actually HK is the largest market for Pagani, 1/5 of all Zondas are there as of now. There is also a car (the one which was crashed a while ago) which is identical to Knok's, only the interior is slightly different (alcantara instead of leather on the dashboard) but otherwise you couldn't spot any other difference.

I didn't know that. That's pretty cool.

RSOWNER
04-25-2010, 06:07 PM
What about Nick Mason, does he have anything of note besides the 250 GTO (as if that isn't enough, what, being the most beautiful production car ever made and all)?

Whether he still owns it i'm not privvy to but he leant his Ferrari F60 to Top Gear for the day so they could do a piece on it.

clutch-monkey
04-25-2010, 10:26 PM
these people must hire a manager for their garages yes?

DesmoRob
04-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Honestly I'm not sure I'd want to be privileged with owning so many cars. Too much of even a good thing like cars still seems like a bad thing. I like the idea of having one or two cars and a bike that really mean something to me. It would be easier to appreciate them. Unless I'm the owner of a legitimate car museum as some type of business venture, buying these things out of sheer boredom and too much money wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm sure many would argue otherwise. That's just my view.

W.R.
04-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Only Ralph Lauren's collection had the content to make me jizz myself (For lack of a better reaction). I mean, a brace of F1's, including an LM? And an Atlantic? '62 GTO? Then the Alfa? My God, he's got taste. (And the means to back it up.)

NSXType-R
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Does Jay Leno open up his garage to visitors?

He really should. :D

LeonOfTheDead
04-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Honestly I'm not sure I'd want to be privileged with owning so many cars. Too much of even a good thing like cars still seems like a bad thing. I like the idea of having one or two cars and a bike that really mean something to me. It would be easier to appreciate them. Unless I'm the owner of a legitimate car museum as some type of business venture, buying these things out of sheer boredom and too much money wouldn't be my cup of tea. I'm sure many would argue otherwise. That's just my view.

I can see the point Rob. I think I'd enjoy a quite large collection, but each model would have to mean something to me. Given the amount of money some of these people have, I'd rather try to make my own car, no matter if the companies goes bankrupt in 1 year, it would definitely be funnier and more special.

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I'd rather try to make my own car, no matter if the companies goes bankrupt in 1 year, it would definitely be funnier and more special.
This.

Also with so many cars, do they have the time to actually drive all of them?

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
This.

i would have to have some sort of car pool arrangement with my friends. no point of having these cars if they never get on the road.

wwgkd
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Does Jay Leno open up his garage to visitors?

He really should. :D

Depends on the visitor. He shows it quite a bit, but it's by invitation only. I haven't managed to get one. :(

Leno does drive all of his (which has some people up in arms,) but with so many it's not like they all get driven often.

i would have to have some sort of car pool arrangement with my friends. no point of having these cars if they never get on the road.

Buddy! :D

DesmoRob
04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
I can see the point Rob. I think I'd enjoy a quite large collection, but each model would have to mean something to me. Given the amount of money some of these people have, I'd rather try to make my own car, no matter if the companies goes bankrupt in 1 year, it would definitely be funnier and more special.

That's not such a bad idea. If you think about it, thats probably how the majority of exclusive car manufacturers started. It all begins with a vision and a dream, followed by having the will to take the necessary steps in order to bring the plan to fruition.

"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself."
Ferdinand Porsche

Me and my bad taste in cars probably wouldn't create anything that would sell much, so it wouldn't be a business. At least I'd love it though :).

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 11:25 PM
Buddy! :D
haha you can have a mini instead of whatever rental car the airport would usually lump you with if you visit :p

but seriously, you got to drive these cars to keep them in top condition right; one man couldn't possibly do that with large collections, it would become an itemised chore. "must drive car X this week, then car Y on monday.." etc etc

DesmoRob
04-26-2010, 11:30 PM
haha you can have a mini instead of whatever rental car the airport would usually lump you with if you visit :p

but seriously, you got to drive these cars to keep them in top condition right; one man couldn't possibly do that with large collections, it would become an itemised chore. "must drive car X this week, then car Y on monday.." etc etc

yea you're right. Those things would go to sh!t if they weren't used. After all, they were built not just to be driven, but to be driven HARD. At least you wouldn't have to pay people to do it. You'd have lineups of people ready to do it for free. The only work you'd have to put in is background checks on everyone, and perhaps a little racing school for the lot.

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
imagine the freedom with which you could name it too..
after seeing a mercury cougar eliminator today, i miss the way cars used to be named.

yea you're right. Those things would go to sh!t if they weren't used. After all, they were built not just to be driven, but to be driven HARD. At least you wouldn't have to pay people to do it. You'd have lineups of people ready to do it for free. The only work you'd have to put in is background checks on everyone, and perhaps a little racing school for the lot.
UCP track day! :D

DesmoRob
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
UCP track day! :D

We can't even arrange a general get together, let alone a track event LOL. That would be damn cool though. Maybe one day, when all of us are retired. Maybe then we'll actually make it a reality. Of course by then poor Pieter won't be able to get in and out of his C6, so we'll just have to make him feel comfortable in the stands :D:D:D

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 11:48 PM
We can't even arrange a general get together, let alone a track event LOL.
speak for yourselves, the Aus contingent gets together fairly regularly :p
hell may 22nd a lot of us are attending superlap :D

DesmoRob
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
speak for yourselves, the Aus contingent gets together fairly regularly :p
hell may 22nd a lot of us are attending superlap :D

You live in the same place in one little circle because you're surrounded by vicious creatures disguised as cuddly things, so you have no choice but to get together because it makes you feel safe and comfortable :D. In a word, that's cheating! Everyone else is scattered through europe, canada, the states, south america, etc :(. One day in the near future I'll make a trip out there and meet up with you guys. I'm due for a proper vacation anyway. Too bad I'm obligated to go to Germany for the next one :mad:.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2010, 01:58 AM
Germany ?

Sorted then ..... a UCP 'Ring day :)

Ferrer
04-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Me and my bad taste in cars probably wouldn't create anything that would sell much, so it wouldn't be a business. At least I'd love it though :).
I doubt any of our car companies would sell at all... :p

my porsche
04-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Most of these people have 'curators' that take care of the cars, presumably including driving them short distances.

DesmoRob
04-27-2010, 08:16 AM
I doubt any of our car companies would sell at all... :p

Sad to think nobody would want my 360 Modena shooting-brake, quattro awd, 1.8T swap. Lol:p

cargirl1990
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I love Jay Leno's. So many Chevs...

NSXType-R
04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Most of these people have 'curators' that take care of the cars, presumably including driving them short distances.

Yeah, Jay Leno has a couple attendants, they're full on mechanics. His main mechanic I would guess would be Bernard, but he has a couple other guys at his garage too.

wwgkd
04-28-2010, 12:13 AM

Deal. Soon as I'm feeling suicidal I'll head right down. :p

I could see that as being a better chore than choosing what to wear each day. But I do tend to agree. If I had that kind of money I would probably limit my garage to 10. Almost seems sacriligous to have to pay someone else to drive your Mclaren F1 to keep it in shape.

clutch-monkey
04-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Deal. Soon as I'm feeling suicidal I'll head right down. :p

I could see that as being a better chore than choosing what to wear each day. But I do tend to agree. If I had that kind of money I would probably limit my garage to 10. Almost seems sacriligous to have to pay someone else to drive your Mclaren F1 to keep it in shape.

well when you get one i'll do it for you or free.. :p