PDA

View Full Version : UCP old farts cynical club, restricted membership

henk4
04-26-2010, 09:20 AM
This thread is meant for the elderly, wiser and cynical members of the forums. If you have anything to criticise that smells modern, you can do it here. The Muppets balcony held only two people, here we can take more.:)

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Who is Statler and who is Waldorf ?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8b/StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
04-26-2010, 09:38 AM
are younger members feeling older than what they are, allowed?

Also, are we talking about silent and stinky farts, or those louder and funnier? :D

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Self evidently loud and funny ... nothing held back :)

NSXType-R
04-26-2010, 10:08 AM
How about longtime members? :D

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm technically from the 1920's, so I guess I could apply? :D

csl177
04-26-2010, 11:04 AM
>mumblemumblemumble...snzk...(braaaaaaapt)...uh...< What?!? Get off my lawn!

(reminded of that Samuel Clemens quote: "wouldn't belong to any club that would want me...") :D

EDIT: Does this mean we can't be cranky on other threads?

henk4
04-26-2010, 11:30 AM
EDIT: Does this mean we can't be cranky on other threads?

spread the word....

NicFromLA
04-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Cruise control. I can't imagine any gearhead even bothering to learn how to use it. I'm also sort of shocked more people don't die each year as a result of it.

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Well on long VERY long boring motorways then it gives time to turn sideways in the seat, put both feet up on the passenger seat, relax and have a nap to re-energise oneself :)

Seriously, I've owned a few cars where I wish it had cruise control for long journeys.
Seats for competition aren't usually conduve to relaxing position on long journeys. Cruise control to take a little pressure off the knees.

BUT, cars that have HAD cruise control, I've never wanted to own ( or even drive in the case of Hertz USA versions )

henk4
04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
I use it principally in sections where there is tight control over of your average speed. Set the CC to that speed and you don't have to worry. Apart from that I sometimes do use it on long trips, but I see the point of danger as you tend to stay in CC mode longer than safety would dictate.

another old fart frustration: Nav systems.....people sometimes have to call the emergency services to help them if the navaid breaks down. They simply have no idea where they are, and road maps are a nuisance.

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Cruise control. I can't imagine any gearhead even bothering to learn how to use it. I'm also sort of shocked more people don't die each year as a result of it.

i actually can't use it. makes me nervous. not that any of our cars have it now (or ABS for that matter).

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
I use it principally in sections where there is tight control over of your average speed.
I do that as well. I think it is safer on those occasions as you can concentrate on the road instead of looking constantly at the speedo to avoid of getting fined.

May I add, active steering, flappy paddle gearboxes, 5-way traction controls, SUVs, useless electronic gadgets, stupid supersized cars, Audis,...

NicFromLA
04-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I do that as well. I think it is safer on those occasions as you can concentrate on the road instead of looking constantly at the speedo to avoid of getting fined.

May I add, active steering, flappy paddle gearboxes, 5-way traction controls, SUVs, useless electronic gadgets, stupid supersized cars, Audis,...

What's "5-way traction controls"? I'm not big on active steering either; my 645Ci had it and I was not a fan, the direct steering on my M6 was MUCH better. Small to medium sized SUVs and Audis don't bother me.

Well on long VERY long boring motorways then it gives time to turn sideways in the seat, put both feet up on the passenger seat, relax and have a nap to re-energise oneself :)

Seriously, I've owned a few cars where I wish it had cruise control for long journeys.
Seats for competition aren't usually conduve to relaxing position on long journeys. Cruise control to take a little pressure off the knees.

BUT, cars that have HAD cruise control, I've never wanted to own ( or even drive in the case of Hertz USA versions )

I've driven back and forth from LA to Las Vegas too many times to count and I've never used the CC. LA to Vegas is about 270 miles (442 km).

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
What's "5-way traction controls"?
That thing Ferraris have, with Race and Sport and Winter and Normal and so on settings. I want simple, on or off.

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
That thing Ferraris have, with Race and Sport and Winter and Normal and so on settings. I want simple, on or off.

how about off. all the time. i'm yet to drive a car with traction control like that so i don't see any need for it.

LeonOfTheDead
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I felt the need for ASR and ESP only on 20 cm of snow, and counting.
People used to drive Ferraris without any of them, yet those who drove Ferraris in those days weren't all soccer players or Paris Hiltons.

Which once again shows once again the problem aren't cars or their gizmos, the problem, the real one, are their drivers. Blame the evolution.

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 02:52 PM
So we have to ban football.

And Paris Hiltons.

NicFromLA
04-26-2010, 03:23 PM

I like that too.

LeonOfTheDead
04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
So we have to ban football.

And Paris Hiltons.

Deal!

coolieman1220
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

i use CC when i can. mostly its difficult because there's too many cars out so i constantly set and hit cancel. Try driving 1100 miles over night and not use it. no cars on the road just set it and relax. Too bad the G only sets to 90 MPH. I think the laser cruises are pretty cool but i don't really trust them. i'd rather be focused by myself. It also sets of my RD which is annoying too!

Ferrer and his hate for audi's. sigh. flappy paddle makes sense on race cars, but street cars and real sports cars should be stick! agree with useless electronics. the steering on the Audi Q5 is nice, at low speeds its soft and easy to turn for parking but it gets nice and stiff at high speeds!

Ferrer
04-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Ferrer and his hate for audi's. sigh. flappy paddle makes sense on race cars, but street cars and real sports cars should be stick! agree with useless electronics. the steering on the Audi Q5 is nice, at low speeds its soft and easy to turn for parking but it gets nice and stiff at high speeds!
No, no anything that detracts from the steering feel is wrong. The A6 had it, fail, and the Delta is even worse it doesn't seem to be connected to the wheels at all!

clutch-monkey
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM

that sounds all wrong. shouldn't steering be heavy at low speeds and then lighten up and get smoother at higher speeds?

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2010, 02:10 AM
^^ Perversely no :)

If it's too light at high speeds then you start driving like a 1980s American movie/TV show see-sawing the wheel !!!

Parking speeds you want oodles of assistance so you can turn the wheel with ease.
At it speeds up you want better feel of what's going on at the wheels on bumps and cornering and so you want it to stiffen up and give better feedback.

From a safety point too, make it too easy to turn at speed and even MORE Americans will roll their cars by turning the wheel too quickly :( Toyota need to get some cajones and sue every US owner who has ever rolled a car for "stupidity" and make THEM pay for the costs in a needless recall and stop on sales !!!

clutch-monkey
04-27-2010, 02:58 AM
i dunno. i'm used to unassisted steering, so it's pretty heavy in carparks.

pimento
04-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Oooh, can I join in? I drove across this country with no traction control, it has its place but it's not necessary. I agree on the overly light steering hate too, and I'll add in useless nannying regulation. People should be free to remove themselves from the gene pool, as long as they don't take anyone else out with them. Also, indecisive drivers. It shits me when people only half do something when they're driving, like sort of start to change lanes, slow down, pull back in, then feint back over, then slow down some more... ditto for people that just can't merge. It's not hard..

What's the general concensus on lane splitting on motorbikes?

clutch-monkey
04-27-2010, 03:08 AM
lane splitting is okay when everyone is stationary. it's not like the bikes hold anyone up when they take off. at least they're awake when the light goes green....

also in vietnam the traffic lights, they count down til they're green again so everyone is ready to go.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2010, 04:29 AM
Not just stationary :)
As long as it's safe and it is lane SPLITTING and not weaving in and out of fast traffic then it's ok.

( Typed as s bike rider who LOVES riding through miles of motorway traffic jams :) )

France has it with NO problems. Few years back at Le Mans 24h CAR race and we went on the bikes. In busy traffic the French drivers MOVE aside in their lanes to create the gap for you to ride through. In Glasgow I've had w*nkers deliberately try to CLOSE the space free !!

It amazes me that cage drivers get upset about it.
Get a bike and ride if it upsets that bikes get through quicker.

PS: MOTORbikes of course :)

Also re lights ... that's what the amber is for --- "get ready"

pimento
04-27-2010, 05:11 AM
We don't have an orange before green here, you have to be smart and watch the other lights. Or be dense and wait until people beep at you... whatever floats your boat. I agree with the stationary/barely moving thing, once things start moving I slot into the train... until the next opportunity. That is the nice thing about the postie being so small, I leave my mate behind because his scooter is just that little bit wider. Also I'm that little bit better and slotting into gaps...

Ferrer
04-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Lane splitting when moving is just plain dangerous. Yes you can try to give them space, but it's three moving objects at speed in a tight space.

When you're stationary I don't mind it.

And another thing that really drives me up the wall are assholes. You know, the sort of people who tailgate, undertake, never indicate and in short they think they own the road. The sort of people who drive Audis.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
It's not THAT dangerous, Ferrer, as long as all three involved know it's happening and dont' do anything "silly".
A car in a lane built to take wide trucks has PLENTY of space for a car and bike.
Make it TWO lanes and there is tons and TONS of space :)

As a rider though you do take a RISK regardless and it's crucial to be able to use THEIR mirrors to see what they're up to and if they're paying attention. Thus the speed differential can't be high :) :)

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Wait, hold it ... WAIT !!!!

How come in the "Old farts" thread *I* am suddenly the one suporting hooning around on a 'bike :) :)

jediali
04-27-2010, 07:00 AM
The sort of people who drive Audis.

haha. You do realise this erodes the rationalisation of your audi hate. Everybody hates tailgaters etc and there a whole bunch of cars that are caught in this image.

Ferrer
04-27-2010, 07:01 AM
haha. You do realise this erodes the rationalisation of your audi hate. Everybody hates tailgaters etc and there a whole bunch of cars that are caught in this image.
Including BMWs.

Oh noes...! :D

drakkie
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
another old fart frustration: Nav systems.....people sometimes have to call the emergency services to help them if the navaid breaks down. They simply have no idea where they are, and road maps are a nuisance.

Worst invention ever. In city centres it's great but besides that i always turn it off. Last week i had to go to Essen for my work. Late at night. Just passed the border my nav failed. Many of my colleauges wouldnt have made it.. Sometimes it can be handy to be able to read maps :)

IMO reading maps should be part of the drivers test. Not learning to handle nav. systems.

coolieman1220
04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
whats the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? In a BMW, the prick is on the inside!

and yeah i drive the G35 worst than the Q5 so ferrer the audi comment doesn't really apply. I dont see audi drivers as that type, at least not here in the states. you can't really classify a particular make to that stereotype.

This summer i plan on getting my motorcycle license. here in NYC i hear its not a great idea but i still want it. I am currently a road cyclist and i ride hundreds of miles a year. I ride on roads with cars and its not easy, i dont' have mirrors or sophisticated brakes or superior acceleration. i have a 20lbs bike and me. I do enjoy it a lot and i think that because of my experience riding on the road i will be more comfortable with reading further ahead the road and looking and avoiding potholes, all that good stuff. lane splitting when cars are stopped at a low speed is not bad. lane splitting while speeding is bad just dangerous. i believe its illegal here though.

clutch-monkey
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
and yeah i drive the G35 worst than the Q5 so ferrer the audi comment doesn't really apply. I dont see audi drivers as that type, .

that's because you are one!:p

LeonOfTheDead
04-27-2010, 03:34 PM
you can't really classify a particular make to that stereotype.

Yes, we can.

that's because you are one!:p

And this is why we can.

:D

BMW and Audi are both bought by posers over here. The first has to do with street race posers, the second attracts posers in general. Wouldn't know which is worse, but 5er Estate owners never wash their cars. Never.

clutch-monkey
04-27-2010, 03:36 PM
porsche foists audi's as courtesy cars onto us with alarming regularity when it's time for a service.
i wish they'd stop. aren't they supposed to lend you a better model to encourage you to upgrade?

Sledgehammer
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
...you can't really classify a particular make to that stereotype.

Anyone driving a Dodge Neon SRT-4. Fact.

Ferrer
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
porsche foists audi's as courtesy cars onto us with alarming regularity when it's time for a service.
i wish they'd stop. aren't they supposed to lend you a better model to encourage you to upgrade?
Maybe they don't see you as someone who could afford one... :D

Kitdy
04-27-2010, 11:42 PM

You know I saw one coming home from work that I almost swear had Viper headlights.

clutch-monkey
04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Maybe they don't see you as someone who could afford one... :D

LOL
very valid point. maybe they just want me to appreciate my car more?

pimento
04-28-2010, 02:17 AM
lane splitting while speeding is bad just dangerous. i believe its illegal here though.

It's illegal in many places... not California though, interestingly enough. It is here, but that never stops anyone...

Matra et Alpine
04-28-2010, 04:39 AM
aren't they supposed to lend you a better model to encourage you to upgrade?
Not over here ... unnless you are close to looking to replace and ASK :)

Me ? I've just spent 4 weeks of PURGATORY in an Hyundai i10 and finally got the RX-8 back this morning. Warranty paintwork and doing a few stone chips was where it started out. In the end they fitted a new boot.

Was worrying me thinking their mechanic might have crashed it 3 weeks ago and needed the time to repair it :)

But even MORE concerning was I was beginning to find it acceptable to drive an econo-box :( :( :(

But, beeped the RX-8 and took a twisty on the way home -- all is well :)

clutch-monkey
04-28-2010, 04:48 AM
haha i bet you appreciated the RX-8 all the more when you got it back :p

henk4
04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
haha i bet you appreciated the RX-8 all the more when you got it back :p

don't disturb him during his midlife crisis

Matra et Alpine
04-28-2010, 05:00 AM
^ I've been in "mid life crisis" for most of my life.

I've never grown up :) and intend to exit in the same mindset.

henk4
04-28-2010, 05:02 AM

so in a state of permanent crisis?

crisis
04-28-2010, 05:43 AM
I use it principally in sections where there is tight control over of your average speed. Set the CC to that speed and you don't have to worry. Apart from that I sometimes do use it on long trips, but I see the point of danger as you tend to stay in CC mode longer than safety would dictate.

Totally. After getting my license back and only one demerit point for 12 months every day I spend in my car with cruise control is a day I don't have to worry about creeping over the speed limit. Its not for all circumstances though. towing a camper trailer through the hills is bad. My car will sit on the torque almost too well and when it says enough it throws you down a couple of gears and all hell breaks loose. :eek:
Likewise it can lead to trouble if you leave it on through sweeping curves and find yourself going too hard into a corner., I would be interested as to how many accidents happen this way.
Like everything with driving use it as well as common sense!

crisis
04-28-2010, 05:44 AM

I'm with you and I see it more and more in all my friends. :D

henk4
04-28-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm with you and I see it more and more in all my friends. :D

nice to see you also get attracted by a thread title like this:D

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 06:14 AM
LOL
very valid point. maybe they just want me to appreciate my car more?
Good job then, in Audi you can just appreciate everything else.

Including Matra's i10 loaner.

coolieman1220
04-28-2010, 06:44 AM

True, or an evo or sti. i guess any turbo'd 4 banger with close to 300hp.

But even MORE concerning was I was beginning to find it acceptable to drive an econo-box :( :( :(

But, beeped the RX-8 and took a twisty on the way home -- all is well :)

How could you! My buddy did a 3rd gear 55mph roll. his 2004 RX-8 6MT & my buddy in a Scion xB with intake exhaust. My buddy w/ RX-8 was surprised that he didn't pull on him as hard as he thought he would. I told him cause he had no torque and when we checked both cars had equal amounts of torque. He was upset.

Totally. After getting my license back and only one demerit point for 12 months every day I spend in my car with cruise control is a day I don't have to worry about creeping over the speed limit. Its not for all circumstances though. towing a camper trailer through the hills is bad. My car will sit on the torque almost too well and when it says enough it throws you down a couple of gears and all hell breaks loose. :eek:
Likewise it can lead to trouble if you leave it on through sweeping curves and find yourself going too hard into a corner., I would be interested as to how many accidents happen this way.
Like everything with driving use it as well as common sense!

Not many people would admit oh i ran off the road cause my CC was on. i hate when my CC makes the car downshift, that bothers me. on the G35, if cruise is set at 70 and i'm doing 65 and i hit resume it automatically downshifts then upshifts when it gets to speed. this bothers me i'm like why must u waste gas and get to speed as quick as possible? CC is no fun in the rain or snow and on sweeping roads its not nice either. Hilly driving i prefer to do on my own, blast down the hill and then use my momentum to get up the hill. this works well except when you go fast and wind resistance doesn't really help you get better gas mileage when going down the hill.

Good job then, in Audi you can just appreciate everything else.

Including Matra's i10 loaner.

I appreciate just about everything when I drive our Audi, the smootheness, the great gas mileage, the kick ass quattro system, the stereo, the leather, the handling, the stability, the acceleration, the quality.

Ferrer, i think you need to stop by your nearest audi dealer and get a refresh. Audi is not what it used to be. i used to love BMW and still do but these days. Audi is kickin BMW butt

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Ferrer, i think you need to stop by your nearest audi dealer and get a refresh. Audi is not what it used to be. i used to love BMW and still do but these days. Audi is kickin BMW butt
Two of the three Audis that I've driven are still on sale. One was dull and the other awful.

henk4
04-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Two of the three Audis that I've driven are still on sale. One was dull and the other awful.

Who wants to buy an Audi driven by you? I can sympathise with the non-buyers..

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 07:07 AM
One of them was a rental car.

henk4
04-28-2010, 07:11 AM
One of them was a rental car.

should not make any difference, it was driven by YOU and that gives the car bad vibes. Cars need love, even Audis, and you clearly were incapable if giving that to them.

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 07:12 AM
I doubt anyone wants to buy a rental car.

pimento
04-28-2010, 07:25 AM
I want to buy a rental car... I have a theory that relates to the rings in trees, only it's rings through the driver's seat. Something about tracking the rental history that way.

henk4
04-28-2010, 07:27 AM
that makes your earlier statement Audi unspecific.....and there 33% less relevant

coolieman1220
04-28-2010, 07:29 AM

have you driven a nice audi? i hear all those low end BMW's are crappy as well in Europe compared to the brand standard over here in the states.

Exactly so if you drive audi rental cars they must suck. most rental cars do suck, anything used by a rental company. Drive a real audi, one made for sport and luxury. A nice audi S4?

I want to buy a rental car... I have a theory that relates to the rings in trees, only it's rings through the driver's seat. Something about tracking the rental history that way.

Does this make any sense?

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 07:45 AM
have you driven a nice audi? i hear all those low end BMW's are crappy as well in Europe compared to the brand standard over here in the states.
I've driven a pair of A6s and an A3 and they all were mid range models. But in any case, the basic driving dynamics remain, wheter it's the base model or the top of the range. In some cases more expensive and powerful does not equal better.

Matra et Alpine
04-28-2010, 09:55 AM
My buddy did a 3rd gear 55mph roll. his 2004 RX-8 6MT & my buddy in a Scion xB with intake exhaust. My buddy w/ RX-8 was surprised that he didn't pull on him as hard as he thought he would. I told him cause he had no torque and when we checked both cars had equal amounts of torque. He was upset.
SOunds like he bought the wrong car :)
The RX-8 is a handling car, "enough power".
Your buddy should get his compression checked.
If the car's not been kept fed on the best oil good chance he's lost compression and thus power - he should get a "hot compression test" done :(
Finally 3rd geer, 55mpg is only about 6k revs.
He needed to drop it a cog if he was wanting to get it to pull and let it beep for a second before up-shifting.
Most folks don't realise that 6 1/2 to 9 1/2 is plenty power band IF IT IS USED :) Usually only bikers are comfortable revving it to those peaks :)
FInally, on track the PZ gets "smoked" on straights all the time .. adn then takes it all back in the corners. CHeck out the Mustang and the Z4 at Nurburgring vids posted by yours trully on YouTube :)

have you driven a nice audi? i hear all those low end BMW's are crappy as well in Europe compared to the brand standard over here in the states?
That's a decision on what you are allowed to see in the US.
We have all the good ones AND we have lower price, lower spec.
Was an issue in the early days of the growth of European car sales in UK.
Everybody complaiend about the BMW etc not coming with a radio etc etc.
They were options, just that here all cars came with them from factory.
Like your comment, some saw that as in some way "bad" in reality all it was was "different" :)

Driven a nice Audi ? YES :)

AUDI 90 QUATTRO Forest Specification

Car:
-registration MN 90 44

-history Built new by GBM Rallye-Sport(AudiSport) in January 1989 from all new parts to full Group A Audi Sport specification.
Used in 1989 British Rally Championship by Andrew Wood, sponsored by Castrol/Wagon Finance with four top-ten finishes. Used in 1990 by Jim McRae, sponsored by Shell/Gemini, won Granite City, numerous top ten finishes. Used 1990-91 by Bob Locke for some Scottish Championship events including 2nd at Galloway Hills and Scotphone. Used by Chris Wagner to finish second in Scottish Championship series 1992. Exported 1999 to USA, used 1999-2001 in selected events by Alex Erisoty to win SCCA ProRally Rookie of The Year and tie in points for Northeast Division Open Championship. Numerous top-ten finishes.

Body:
-construction Shell (No B3/2) prepared by Matter (W. Germany), seam welded galvanised steel 4 door- saloon with integral Chrome/Molybdenum safety cage to full Audi Sport specification. Wheelbase lengthened (approx 100mm) to permit use of 16² wheels and to improve stability. Aluminum inner door frames and panels. Lightweight front screen, heated rear screen. Kevlar front and rear underbody guards. Quick lift jacking points (4) in sills.

-subframes competition strengthened subframes with eccentric spacers for adjustment of driveshaft angles and wheelbase.
-kerb weight 1130kg
-dimensions 4394mm long x 1704mm wide x 2537mm wheelbase.

Engine:
-type Full Group A, 5 cylinder in-line, iron block, Audi Sport S1 20v alloy head. Built by Motorentechnik Kolb of Ingolstadt (Audi Sport). 3 point magnesium- aluminium competition mounts to chassis. Water cooling by aluminium radiator with 700 W 2-speed motor mounted in Kevlar shroud. Twin, switchable, Bosch competition fuel pumps on quick release, self sealing couplings to system. Large bore, quick-release, competition exhaust system. Latest specification Year 2001 (Formula 2) Kolb pistons. 325 BHP.

-capacity 2.5L (2479cc), 82.5mm bore x 92.8mm stroke
-max. rpm 8200
-compression ratio 14 : 1
-induction Bosch Motronic electronic fuel injection
-reciprocating assembly Audi Sport billet stroker crank(92.8mm)-knife edged. Audi Sport polished steel connecting rods, Audi Sport (Kolb-F2) 14:1 pistons
-valvetrain Audi Sport Group A valves, springs, lifters
-camshafts 2 ohc by Audi Sport (Kolb), individually adjustable gear drive
-lubrication Finned alloy wet sump with trap door baffles and fabricated steel windage tray. Engine breather separator/catch tank. Oil cooled by Setrab aluminium cooler.
-exhaust Sport Quattro stainless headers to quick-release 7.5cm heavy wall tubing w/silencer

Transmission:
-drive Permanent four wheel drive, 50/50 fixed torque split with no centre differential.
-gearbox Competition long rally box incorporating plate type limited slip(80%) front differential. Light alloy mounting.
-gears 6 forward gears (3.500/2.273/1.706/1.318/1.040/0.889) reverse (3.500) Rose jointed, competition gear linkage with electric clutch button.
-rear differential Light alloy, competition unit with plate type limited slip(80%) differential and integral competition mounting.
-final drive ratio 4.86
-clutch Sachs (S1) twin plate. Electric operation option.
-driveshafts Competition heavy-duty (S1) shafts, adjustable for plunge. Kevlar driveshaft guards.

Steering:
-rack Competition ZF long (Sport S1) unit, 13.4:1 ratio with power hydraulic assistance. Aluminium off side mounting.
-steering column Group A (as GpA Audi 200) column, fitted with Personal Grinta¹ leather/alloy steering wheel, 1.75 turns lock to lock.
-power assistance Audi Sport competition high capacity pump fitted with alloy deep-v drive pulley. Tensioner. Baffled and filtered reservoir, and aluminium Setrab fluid cooler, full Aeroquip lines (entire car Aeroquip).
-steering arms Competition arms front and rear, all rose jointed to adjusted for toe-in/out.

Suspension:
-front/rear Magnesium alloy (Sport S1) McPherson struts with Boge inserts(V70/H69 settings), S1 competition top mounts, adjustable ride height and castor. Tubular competition wishbones, fully rosejointed and adjustable for camber.

Brakes:
-type Front/rear 295mm vented discs with light alloy 4-pot AP racing calipers (CP2270). Dashboard brake bias front/rear adjustment via competition aluminium die-cast pedal box and twin master cylinders to dual circuit hydraulic system. Steel brake guards. Full Aeroquip lines.
-pads Mintex M171
-handbrake Fly-off competition magnesium/alloy handbrake, operating rear brakes with hydraulic assistance.

Running gear:
-wheels Magnesium alloy OZ racing 7¹x15¹/8x15, 5-stud fixing, with titanium wheel nuts. Spares (one or two) mounted in boot with quick-release belt fixing.
-tyres Pirelli ASG 195/65x15 K60 (soft) compound.

Electrical:
-wiring loom Aerospace specification, lightweight fireproof PTFE cable. Dashboard fuse panel with Glow fuses¹. Quick release control and instrument panels.
-generator 150A alternator
-battery Heavy duty dry(gel) cell with quick-release Anderson¹ connector.
-instruments Speedometer, Stack¹ non-linear tacho with computer readout and interface, oil temperature/pressure, water temperature, fuel system/control pressure, voltmeter, fuel contents.
-ancillaries Halda Rally Computer with foot operated remote zero, 2 x map lights, radio/Poti connections, roof aerial, foot operated air horns.
-lighting Aluminium auxiliary lamp bar for 4/6 lamps. PIAA or Cibie Turini (carbon fibre) lamps; 2 x spots, 2 x drive, 2 x virage (cornering). Quick release military specification multi plugs (gold contacts).

Equipment:
-safety Lifeline, aluminium, plumbed-in electric fire extinguisher system (2.5kg+5kg). 2 x 2.5kg hand held extinguishers. Sabelt 6-point (with crotch strap) aircraft buckle full harness seat belts. Rubber bladder, foam filled, 70L fuel cell in aluminium housing with quick release, auto sealing connectors.
-interior Collins Kevlar seats on adjustable aluminium brackets. Bilstein quick lift jack. Wheel brace. Foam helmet box. First aid kit. Emergency warning triangles. Tow rope. Tool kit in roll.

and

coolieman1220
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
SOunds like he bought the wrong car :)
The RX-8 is a handling car, "enough power".
Your buddy should get his compression checked.
If the car's not been kept fed on the best oil good chance he's lost compression and thus power - he should get a "hot compression test" done :(
Finally 3rd geer, 55mpg is only about 6k revs.
He needed to drop it a cog if he was wanting to get it to pull and let it beep for a second before up-shifting.
Most folks don't realise that 6 1/2 to 9 1/2 is plenty power band IF IT IS USED :) Usually only bikers are comfortable revving it to those peaks :)
FInally, on track the PZ gets "smoked" on straights all the time .. adn then takes it all back in the corners. CHeck out the Mustang and the Z4 at Nurburgring vids posted by yours trully on YouTube :)

He loves his RX-8. He's a total Wankel head. i told him he should have dropped a gear cause Rotaries have Horsepower not torque. the torque curves just kinda drops off. He think his spark plugs need a change. He feeds a premix fuel to the engine. i laugh at him when he says he puts something like 2 stroke oil in his gas tank.

It's a fun car to drive the RX-8, i love it. but like you said, it lacks torque...

Matra et Alpine
04-28-2010, 11:05 AM
It's a fun car to drive the RX-8, i love it. but like you said, it lacks torque...
Yeah, but using the revs through the 'box is a much more satisfying drive.
How many times do you redline a V8 or I4 ?
The rotary can do it all day.
A quote that the engine can rev to 14,000 no problems ... but at 14,100 it will explode :)
So unlike bangers, a rotary is nowhere near breaking anything at peak revs :)

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Always? :)

Well at the least in the Mini... :p

Matra et Alpine
04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
as we're in the "Old farts" thread and not the engine one ....

I remember the "Glayva Mini" we rallied in the Scottish scene in the 70s.
MG1300 head fully flowed - BY HAND in our shed, double springs, high lift cam, competition big valves, pistons, fully balanced conrods, lightened flywheel and crank.
NO rev limiter :)
Was forever breaking valve springs !
In the days of NON-interference engines and so it was never a problem.
Just strip it down and rebuild. Could get the head of the Mini and back on sorted in 2 hours :)

Mind you that paled into insignifance with the next car - Imp with full Monte suspension setup and BIG WIllis engine. Brother could get the full engine and transmission out in less than 20 minutes - HIMSELF :) and no engine hoist either !!!

henk4
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
and the good old days when the Fiat 850 Coupe developed maximum power well into the red area which started at 6500 but you wanted...6750 rpm

coolieman1220
04-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah, but using the revs through the 'box is a much more satisfying drive.
The rotary can do it all day.
A quote that the engine can rev to 14,000 no problems ... but at 14,100 it will explode :)

well yeah thats the best part about driving it is driving the crap out of it as it begs for more and more. its a great car / engine for weekend cruises. i enjoy when he lets me drive it.

clutch-monkey
04-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Exactly so if you drive audi rental cars they must suck. most rental cars do suck, anything used by a rental company. Drive a real audi, one made for sport and luxury. A nice audi S4?
no, had one of those as a courtesy car too :(
audi's are appliances. which is fine for their target market i guess, but i find as i get older the gadgets i would have thought cool i just find irrelevant now.

Always? :)

Well at the least in the Mini... :p

oddly the rover 1.3i seems to HATE being revved; i never take it past 4k or so :confused:

pimento
04-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Does this make any sense?

Probably only to me.. :D

Ferrer
04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
oddly the rover 1.3i seems to HATE being revved; i never take it past 4k or so :confused:
It's curious because the Chrysler engine in the BMW product can do both - cruise around at 1500rpm or redline every gear up to 6700rpm.

clutch-monkey
04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
i think the rover 1.3 is choked by emissions and shitty tune what with all the new flim flam and modernities.
can't wait til i get my bare bones clubman on the road with a mild 1275 (i just picked up the engine yesterday!)

crisis
04-29-2010, 04:56 AM
nice to see you also get attracted by a thread title like this:D

"Old Farts and Cynics". I thought it was a personal invitation. ;)

henk4
04-29-2010, 12:17 PM
"Old Farts and Cynics". I thought it was a personal invitation. ;)

right....

Sledgehammer
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
... i guess any turbo'd 4 banger with close to 300hp.

You! I see what you did there...

<insert that futurama pic with the squint>

However driving it daily and not punching the piss out of it, will.

csl177
05-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Is this a reason for this thread, Henk?

:(http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/multimedia/41679-lp-670-sv-vs-gtr-philippines.html:(

henk4
05-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Is this a reason for this thread, Henk?

:(http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/multimedia/41679-lp-670-sv-vs-gtr-philippines.html:(

well, you can put many question marks about the sanity of doing this on public roads in a developing country....and it goes to show that whatever the poverty of the population is, there are always those who seem to be able to get their unfair share from a country's economy.