PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen Polo GTI

Kitdy
05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
177 hp from a 1.4 L twincharged (super and turbocharged) I4. Power is transferred to a 7 speed DSG gearbox, 100 km/h is hit in 6.9 seconds. Plaid seats. Handsome and striking design, contrary to many other designs out these days, and all for what I assume will be cheap. 5.9 l/100 km combined on the EU cycle - or about 40 mpg.

Bravo VW, Bravo.

Press Release:

To the Point: The New Polo GTI – Extremely Strong and Exceptionally Fuel Efficient
180 PS Polo GTI with 5.9 litre consumption is 25 percent more fuel efficient

229 km/h fast Polo GTI debuts with standard 7-speed DSG
Wolfsburg / Nürburgring, 10 May 2010 - The Polo GTI is back. A powerful 132 kW / 180 PS comeback! And this GTI too lives up to its legendary name with superior handling properties combined with uncompromising engine responsiveness and a maximum of safety. The highlight: Never before has such a powerful Polo come even close to its fuel efficiency. Thanks to clever downsizing of the twincharged 1.4-litre TSI engine (turbo plus supercharging) and the extremely efficient 7-speed dual clutch gearbox (DSG) as standard equipment, the development team was able to reduce combined fuel consumption to 5.9 l/100 km. That is equivalent to CO2 emissions of just 139 g/km. By comparison: Its direct predecessor in terms of power – also equipped with a 180 PS 1.8-litre turbo engine - consumed 7.9 litres per 100 kilometres (equivalent to 188 g/km CO2). This means that the new car is 25 percent more fuel efficient.

This economy contrasts with highly dynamic driving performance: The light 1,194 kilogram Volkswagen sports car accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.9 seconds and reaches a top speed of 229 km/h. These figures, 6.9 seconds, 5.9 litres are sports car performance parameters of a sustainable kind.

Power is transferred to the front wheels via DSG as standard equipment. An electronic transverse differential lock (XDS) reduces the tendency to understeer and improves handling especially in quick driving through curves. Like all versions of the model series, the Polo GTI also comes equipped with the standard ESP electronic stabilisation programme including Hill Climb Assist. In addition, the car's extensive safety features consists of a highly effective airbag network, including combined head-thorax side airbags, belt tensioners, belt tension limiters plus belt warning, head restraints designed to avoid whiplash trauma (each in front), three rear head restraints as well as Isofix points on the rear bench seat for suitably fitted child seats.

In addition, convenience features include electro-hydraulic power steering, electric windows in front, central locking, bootspace lighting and tie-down eyes, warning buzzer for light not turned off, driver seat height adjustment, make-up mirror in the sun visors and green tinted insulated glass. The GTI will be the first Polo to be available with bi-xenon headlights with cornering lights, LED daytime running lights and corner marker lights as well as a panoramic tilt/slide sunroof. Naturally, GTI-specific features are always standard too, such as the sport seat system and 17-inch alloy wheels in "Denver" design.

Volkswagen Polo GTI #1

Ferrer
05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
All already available in a cheaper spanish package.

Kitdy
05-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Volkswagen Polo GTI #2

IBrake4Rainbows
05-10-2010, 03:52 PM
But not everywhere in the world.

I like this. I prefer the first Polo GTi I think.

Kitdy
05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
All already available in a cheaper spanish package.

Much uglier though.

Will be interesting to see how much cheaper it is.

Ferrer
05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
But not everywhere in the world.

I like this. I prefer the first Polo GTi I think.

Much uglier though.

Will be interesting to see how much cheaper it is.
Don't worry guys, there's still is a solution.

It's called the Fabia RS. It even comes as an estate.

I like the idea of a small sports estate.

LeonOfTheDead
05-10-2010, 03:59 PM
This should be a little less sporty than the Ibiza though, unless VAG decided Seat is no longer their "Alfa Romeo". Wait, now that there is Abarth again...screw that.

Recently sporty Seats were more track focused, too hard for the road, while the VWs were more everyday small rockets, relatively speaking.

I still want the old Polo mk2, not the wagon, not the sedan.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Don't worry guys, there's still is a solution.

It's called the Fabia RS. It even comes as an estate.

I like the idea of a small sports estate.

Also not currently available in Australia.

I agree - the estate has a sense of awesome that a hatch can't possibly match.

Ferrer
05-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Also not currently available in Australia.

I agree - the estate has a sense of awesome that a hatch can't possibly match.
If the price is right, I want one.

coolieman1220
05-10-2010, 06:07 PM
i wish we got that over here. just with a conventional manual tranny!

Kitdy
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
On paper, this seems like a great car. I am very wary of the twincharging though - I have heard it's very jerky and unsmooth.

whiteballz
05-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Its a VW - Its never going to be jerky or "unsmooth" (awesome word btw)

Kitdy
05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Its a VW - Its never going to be jerky or "unsmooth" (awesome word btw)

Yes, I was thinking of saying rough, but it somehow didn't fit. I read a review of it a year or two ago and I recall that said it was a disaster when it comes to power delivery.

clutch-monkey
05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
i heard the same thing about the 'step' as it switches from S/C to turbo being jerky, but i figure if they've had sequential twin turbo setups for like 20+ years then surely they can figure out how to substitute a supercharger for the smaller turbo.

Ferrer
05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
We've had super-turbocharged cars for more than twenty years now too.

LeonOfTheDead
05-11-2010, 07:16 AM
Eventually I was expecting to see more of those engines (inside of cars that is) on the street, but unfortunately diesels are still what cool kids have.
I can understand some of them may even prefer a diesel engines, but what's the point if price and running costs are no issues, and you're 20 yo or so and want a smoking car?!
Insurance is even lower (based on displacement over here).

Ferrer
05-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Because diesel is better.

VOGUE_MAN
05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Will it be available in Australia? Probably not, but I love it anyway. Good looks, powerful for a small/micro car and I bet it handles pretty good too.

clutch-monkey
05-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Will it be available in Australia? Probably not, but I love it anyway. Good looks, powerful for a small/micro car and I bet it handles pretty good too.

yes it will be, the golf R has just launched here too.

wwgkd
05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
yes it will be, the golf R has just launched here too.

With less power. And they wont sell the full power or reduced power version here. :mad:

clutch-monkey
05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
i'm not so worried about power, APR has good stuff.. :D

cargirl1990
05-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I like it but they need to give some of the GTi's different wheels.

Lagonda
05-20-2010, 09:13 AM
VW & cheap in the same sentence ? wow :D
Went to check out a few cars with a friend of mine. He needs a new one, and I was absolutely amazed at the cost of a Golf (or any VW product for that matter). Those prices are insane for what you get (=gray, black dull dark interior with zero equipment)

Kitdy
05-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah about VWs being expensive: just looked up a 3 door GTI - 26.7k. I know they are very different cars, but the V6 2011 'Stang starts at 23k, and the Genesis Coupe at 24.5k. Sure, the VW is more practical, but it's still overpriced.

Which would you rather?

cmcpokey
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
a 3 door golf is only marginally more practical than a genesis or mustang. i think i would prefer the genesis out of that group.

Kitdy
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
a 3 door golf is only marginally more practical than a genesis or mustang. i think i would prefer the genesis out of that group.

Well it was a rhetorical question (I thought that the answer was clear - not the GTI at least).

The 5 door was a thousand or so more.

Ferrer
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
The Golf GTI isn't actually such bad value, but in general Volkswagens are expensive cars when compared to the competition. Or at least, it rather depends what you consider the competition. Its biggest problem though, is that there are usually identical cheaper cars available in the market. It's not as big a problem as it is with Audis, but it still is a problem sometimes.

Kitdy
05-20-2010, 03:34 PM
The Golf GTI isn't actually such bad value, but in general Volkswagens are expensive cars when compared to the competition. Or at least, it rather depends what you consider the competition. Its biggest problem though, is that there are usually identical cheaper cars available in the market. It's not as big a problem as it is with Audis, but it still is a problem sometimes.

Did some further poking around - the Cobalt SS starts at 28k, the Mazdaspeed3 at 33k - so the VW looks a bit better. Then again, with cars like the Genesis and Mustang around, all of these hot turbos look a little too expensive.

wwgkd
05-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Did some further poking around - the Cobalt SS starts at 28k, the Mazdaspeed3 at 33k - so the VW looks a bit better. Then again, with cars like the Genesis and Mustang around, all of these hot turbos look a little too expensive.

But they provide so much more. And those old pony car dinosaurs are killing the environment all by themselves. Turbo fours run on sunshine and pixie farts, they practically remove pollution from the air everytime you drive them. :rolleyes:

Ferrer
05-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Well they are different cars. They don't make much sense in the land of the free where fuel is cheap. But here they come in very handy. They are fun and they don't break your bank everytime you drive them.