PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FIFA World Cup

Kitdy
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
It's time for the world's biggest and most popular sporting event to happen again in just a few days - the World Cup.

What are your guys thoughts? Who are you going to be supporting? If your country ain't in the WC, who will you be supporting?

Who's going to win? Will the first WC in Africa be a success? What player will be the best?

Here in Toronto, flags of many lands will be attached to cars as the very diverse population supports their home nation. Toronto much like New York has many "little" neighbourhoods composed of a large amount of immigrants - some that stand out are Little Italy, Little Portugal, and Greektown. These areas will be particularly rabid come the start of the tournament.

This could be a lot of fun, I am really looking forward to it even though I'm a very casual soccer fan. There's no other event like it in the world.

W.R.
06-02-2010, 02:27 AM
To be perfectly honest, this is another big event I don't really care about, and things are only made worse by matches dominating the TV schedule. Go ahead to the people who want to get excited about it, but at the end of the day, not everyone's a football fan.

aiasib
06-02-2010, 04:42 AM
I still can't belieeeeeve North Korea made it, but Sweden didn't.....

Mugen_Ferio
06-02-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm from south africa and i just couldn't give a crap. personally i dont think the anc goverment deserves this. our education and healthcare systems are a joke. there reverse racism going on and dont get me started om the farm murders. for those of u that are coming. u have been warned!

aiasib
06-03-2010, 03:44 AM
True, 18,000 murders a year is no joke. but I heard SA gets ~11 million tourists a year, World Cup or no World Cup...

Kitdy
06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
I still can't belieeeeeve North Korea made it, but Sweden didn't.....

That's kinda inherent in the system.

If there were no conferences, Europe would be much better represented.

wwgkd
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm still ticked about the France-Ireland thing.

hec16
06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Go germany!!!

Matra et Alpine
06-04-2010, 12:49 AM
A.B.E. :)
( Anyone BUT England )

henk4
06-04-2010, 12:51 AM
A.B.E. :)
( Anyone BUT England )

I wans't aware that you knew the name of one of our most famous soccer players ever: Abe Lenstra.

Matra et Alpine
06-04-2010, 01:04 AM
^^^^^ Good to know.
So any drunk, obnoxious English soccer fans accost me on IoM and I've got the answer :)
See, what other forum can you get the best on cars AND how to avoid fights :) :)

kigango123
06-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Its so cool that the world cup is in africa that im still flipping out. My cousin in south africa is attending some matches and hopefully will get cool pictures.

wwgkd
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Soo close to going up a point on that Altidore kick. Still England was heavily favored and we managed a draw, I can live with that. It may not be a repeat of 1950 but it still puts us in good position to get past the group stage.

kingofthering
06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Not really caring until the Germany v. Australia game tomorrow. Still disappointed that Michael Ballack couldn't make it this year - will be interesting to see how well they do. If it does go all to hell, there's still Le Mans right now and the Tour de France next month. :)

Niko_Fx
06-13-2010, 07:47 PM
Not really caring until the Germany v. Australia game tomorrow. Still disappointed that Michael Ballack couldn't make it this year - will be interesting to see how well they do. If it does go all to hell, there's still Le Mans right now and the Tour de France next month. :)

They're better off without him, he sucked in 2006.

Germany played one hell of a game today, maybe it should have been a 3-0 or even a 2-0 with a different referee, but either way they would have won. Well-played, watch out everybody!!!!!!!

whiteballz
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM
****in disgraceful :(

Kitdy
06-14-2010, 12:15 AM
****in disgraceful :(

Beh, you wait. The Aussies will have a chance against the Ghanaians and Serbians.

wwgkd
06-18-2010, 03:07 PM
So did anyone watch the USA vs Slovenia match? I missed it and I keep hearing that we got robbed of the game winning goal, but not why. I've looked online and all I can find is people laughing at us for getting robbed or complaining that we got robbed, with no explanation why the goal was whistled off.

Still I guess we came back to tie Slovenia, and Algeria managed to tie England, so we still have a decent chance.

clutch-monkey
06-18-2010, 06:10 PM
lol italy.
YouTube - Hilarious Daniele De Rossi Diving Italy vs Paraguay FIFA World Cup 2010

LotusLocost
06-19-2010, 04:45 AM
www.ultimatecarpage-WC2010edition.com (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.ultimatecarpage.com)

Turn up the sound before clicking it!
Louder louder!!

clutch-monkey
06-19-2010, 05:17 AM
www.ultimatecarpage-WC2010edition.com (http://www.vuvuzela-time.co.uk/www.ultimatecarpage.com)

Turn up the sound before clicking it!
Louder louder!!

LOL
goddamn vuvu horns
South African Vuvuzela Philharmonic Angered By Soccer Games Breaking Out During Concerts | The Onion - America's Finest News Source (http://www.theonion.com/articles/south-african-vuvuzela-philharmonic-angered-by-soc,17625/)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=337484&stc=1&d=1276949782

wwgkd
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
South Africa won! They didn't get the points they needed to advance over Mexico, but at least it's one more humiliation for France. ;) After the players strike and everything I guess they probably don't need any more.

And it's nice for the host nation to get one last win in their last game. So no African team advances; people are all going on about how devastating this is to a growing market for the sport. I kind of figure they're going to keep playing anyways.

Right, so go Slovenia and, of course, USA!

wwgkd
06-23-2010, 03:05 PM
So no African team advances

Apparently I spoke too soon. Ghana is in, after Australia nobly sacrificed themselves to give the African nation a chance. ;) Was looking like the Aussie team would pull it off for a bit there.

And Ghana will be facing the USA in the next Round, with Germany facing England (there's a familiar matchup.) Should be loud as all get out when the US and Ghana face off.

Commodore GS/E
06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
That's gonna be interesting. I always thought the US sucked at soccer, and now, you've made it to the next round. Good luck ;)
And congratulations to the Aussies for beating Serbia. Watched it via live stream.

BTW, i hope for Scottish support for our next match. Matra? :D

Kitdy
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
That's gonna be interesting. I always thought the US sucked at soccer, and now, you've made it to the next round. Good luck ;)
And congratulations to the Aussies for beating Serbia. Watched it via live stream.

BTW, i hope for Scottish support for our next match. Matra? :D

Even those that weren't born in Scotland but have Scottish blood in them will be supporting Die Mannshaft next round.

Come on the Germans!

wwgkd
06-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Even those that weren't born in Scotland but have Scottish blood in them will be supporting Die Mannshaft next round.

Come on the Germans!

This. :D

whiteballz
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/qyg26o.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/WXNmF.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2zs7d5z.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/21b8ao9.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u4k2eo.jpg

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6804/1276376177472.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs066.ash2/36671_403471771427_734276427_4850428_3789932_n.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l44uc83Hi21qzry3ko1_500.jpg

Niko_Fx
06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
lol italy.
YouTube - Hilarious Daniele De Rossi Diving Italy vs Paraguay FIFA World Cup 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVF3MtCx9A&feature=player_embedded)

They're all full of it, it makes me sick. Someone please remove them from this cup asap.

wwgkd
06-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Pretty sure that's a big part of why soccer isn't more popular here.

whiteballz
06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l42u6xgrSu1qb6i6bo1_500.jpg

Kitdy
06-24-2010, 01:03 AM
This. :D

So you are past Scot at least?

Very good.

wwgkd
06-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Italy is out! First time both finalist from the previous cup (France, Italy) have failed to make it out of the group stage. Probably a result of so many dives tiring out the players... ;)

So you are past Scot at least?

Very good.

My Grandpa is Scottish and moved here right before WWII. My Grandma is German and moved here right after, so I have double motive here. :D

Good. Good.

john14
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
My tip is North Korea.

Commodore GS/E
06-27-2010, 08:47 AM
lol. 4:1 the highest defeat england ever received in any world cup. Go Müller, goooooo! :D

henk4
06-27-2010, 08:49 AM
lol. 4:1 the highest defeat england ever received in any world cup. Go Müller, goooooo! :D

Don't cry for me, Argentiiiina.....

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't cry for me, Argentiiiina.....

Argentina does have a good chance to win vs Mexico, but they will not beat us by a 4 to 1 margin :)......I hope :)

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Should have been 4: 2, England was robbed of a goal, the ball was clearly more than half a meter in the goal :mad:

Commodore GS/E
06-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Yep, i saw that, too. That was clearly a goal, but the referee didn't see it. Sorry for that.

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep, i saw that, too. That was clearly a goal, but the referee didn't see it. Sorry for that.

Never the less, Germany played an amazing game. They are the best I have seen so far in this World Cup. Congrats on the win!!!

I know Niko is happy :)

Commodore GS/E
06-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Thank you :)
Well, i hope Mexico beats Argentina. They aren't our favorite team, to be honest. And as far as i can remember, there was no Germany vs. Mexico match for years. Good luck :)

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Thank you :)
Well, i hope Mexico beats Argentina. They aren't our favorite team, to be honest. And as far as i can remember, there was no Germany vs. Mexico match for years. Good luck :)

Thanks, I hope so too :D Germany vs Mexico would be great to see. Mexico has never made it to 1/4 finals, that would be a first. And beating Germany would be an out right miracle!! JAJAJA

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
Mexico, Mexico, Mexico!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niko_Fx
06-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I feel bad about that goal that was taken away from the English, I like fair games, and that was definitely a goal. Gladly the game did not end 2-1 or else even I would have been upset.

Go Germany though! I hope they play Mexico in the quarters!!

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 09:43 AM
I feel bad about that goal that was taken away from the English, I like fair games, and that was definitely a goal. Gladly the game did not end 2-1 or else even I would have been upset.

Same here bro.

Go Germany though! I hope they play Mexico in the quarters!!

Fingers crossed!!!

LeonOfTheDead
06-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Awful game, spoiled by huge mistake by the referee in the occasion of the first goal against Mexico.
I went downtown to see the game (someone cut the tv cable during some house works in the apartment below mine) with the girlfriend (Mexican), not exactly what she wanted to see...

Lotec_Sirius
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Slovakia vs Holland tomorrow, go Slovakia! Me and my grandpa (who is from there) have been rooting for them all along, and they beat the defending champions to get to the Round of 16, so maybe we can keep it going?

Niko_Fx
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
First one was off-side, second one was a huge mistake by the Mexican player... the third one from Argentina was absolutely beautiful though...

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Awful game, spoiled by huge mistake by the referee in the occasion of the first goal against Mexico.
I went downtown to see the game (someone cut the tv cable during some house works in the apartment below mine) with the girlfriend (Mexican), not exactly what she wanted to see...

Not what any of us wanted to see, unless you happen to be Argentinian :p

Your GF is Mexican!! Where abouts?

taz_rocks_miami
06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
First one was off-side

True :mad:

second one was a huge mistake by the Mexican player...

Also true....ouch!!!! :o

the third one from Argentina was absolutely beautiful though...

True again.....:mad:

I apologise to any Argentinian members but....I hope Germany kicks Argentina´s butt into next week!!!!!!!!!

NO I´M NOT BITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clutch-monkey
06-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Italy is out! First time both finalist from the previous cup (France, Italy) have failed to make it out of the group stage. Probably a result of so many dives tiring out the players... ;)

this.

Kitdy
06-27-2010, 09:56 PM
The Tartan Army will have been celebrating last night - England is out!

I honked my horn like crazy at all the Ghanian/German flags I saw for beating out the two nations I most wanted to see lose - USA for the Canada/USA rivalry, and England for the Scotland/England rivalry. Whooo!

Go Ghana!

henk4
06-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Argentina does have a good chance to win vs Mexico, but they will not beat us by a 4 to 1 margin :)......I hope :)

they listened to you:)

henk4
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Italy is out! First time both finalist from the previous cup (France, Italy) have failed to make it out of the group stage.
and mostly overlooked, the number three from foour years ago, did not even make it to the tournament.....

Kitdy
06-27-2010, 11:23 PM
and mostly overlooked, the number three from foour years ago, did not even make it to the tournament.....

Who? Germany?

You ready for the Dutch game?

Time for some clockwork oranje!

henk4
06-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Who? Germany?

You ready for the Dutch game?

Time for some clockwork oranje!

Turkey.
I am not overly optimistic about the Dutch game level, but I think they will somehow manage to win. Next stop then either Brazil/Portugal or Spain. Then the return tickets can be consumated.

wwgkd
06-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Poor USA. It's nice to see an African team still in it, but it was a frustrating game. I'm not a particularly big soccer (futbol, whatever) fan but I was jumping up and down at the tying goal, and shouting at the tv as the defending US player lost sight of the ball and fell back staring at the sky to allow the winning goal for Ghana. Sigh.

The Germany stompage was enough to cheer me a bit, as was the Argentina stompage (was I the only one here going for them?). Still, in four years, I'm feeling lucky! :D

Kitdy
06-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Turkey.
I am not overly optimistic about the Dutch game level, but I think they will somehow manage to win. Next stop then either Brazil/Portugal or Spain. Then the return tickets can be consumated.

If they beat Slovakia today, it's Brazil or Chile, then if they win that, Uruguay or Ghana. The test will be against Brazil - they should (but this tournament has proven anyone can win) beat Slovakia, they can beat Brazil, and then they should manage to get to the finals.

Turkey was third in 2002, not 2006.

henk4
06-28-2010, 01:04 AM
If they beat Slovakia today, it's Brazil or Chile, then if they win that, Uruguay or Ghana. The test will be against Brazil - they should (but this tournament has proven anyone can win) beat Slovakia, they can beat Brazil, and then they should manage to get to the finals.

Turkey was third in 2002, not 2006.

now you see how well informed I am about this world shaking event...and that time is flying when you get older....

LeonOfTheDead
06-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Not what any of us wanted to see, unless you happen to be Argentinian :p

Your GF is Mexican!! Where abouts?

Cuernavaca, but they now live in San Francisco. Sort of, as she is here in Modena.

PRC777
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Brazil is insane...for the moment. :)

wwgkd
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Watched the second half of the Brazil-Chile game. Thought it was pretty good, but there were very few dives, and when players did go down they usually popped right back up to continue play, so that may have been what I keyed in on. Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil and Germany are all looking pretty good. And the US-Ghana game is so far the only one which has gone to extra time, Ghana may be in a bit of trouble here.

Edit: Right after I posted and turned off the computer I caught up on the paraguay-japan game, which did indeed go to penalty kicks.

Kitdy
06-29-2010, 10:34 PM
The battle of Ibera was very boring. I hear the Paraguay-Japan game was too, but I didn't get up to watch it.

kingofthering
06-29-2010, 11:08 PM
YouTube - NIKE FOOTBALL WRITE THE FUTURE - FULL LENGTH VERSION

Is it just me, or did most, if not all players in the video either failed to make the World Cup squad or didn't do as well as this video suggested. Pretty much the only team that went far (off the top of my head) is the US team at the 11 second mark. I've probably missed several important ones, but most of the teams I care about (Germany) wear adidas. :D

A shame that we will not only miss the Christiano Ronaldo stadium, but the film starring Gael Garcia Bernal.

Kitdy
06-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Off the top of my head, that is the best sports advertisement I have ever seen. The use of Hocus Pocus by Focus is epic.

EDIT: I wonder how much that cost to make.

henk4
06-30-2010, 12:51 AM
having the pathetic cry baby AKA Ronaldo as the star is a bit of a mis-hit though.

Kitdy
06-30-2010, 01:10 AM
having the pathetic cry baby AKA Ronaldo as the star is a bit of a mis-hit though.

Well, it seems many professional athletes are tools - that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be featured in an ad - what a company like Nike banks on - and what the public care most about in an athlete - is performance.

Rooney is apparently a temperamental son of a bitch, Ronaldinho got blasted in the press for partying at the last World Cup just after getting eliminated.

The seeming mis-hit of the ad then appears to be including Ronaldinho who wasn't even named to the WC squad.

Also, as kotr said, none of these people really did well this WC. So a bit odd.

The ad was released pre-WC though, so it got people hyped I suppose.

Commodore GS/E
06-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Portugal's gameplay was disappointing. They could have done miles better. And Brazil isn't playing as good as they did some years ago. But to be honest, I'm sad that MExico is out. I'm a bit scared of the game vs Argentina. They have a frightening tendence to get a little agressive if you win against them (like it happened in '06).

kingofthering
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Portugal's gameplay was disappointing. They could have done miles better. And Brazil isn't playing as good as they did some years ago. But to be honest, I'm sad that MExico is out. I'm a bit scared of the game vs Argentina. They have a frightening tendence to get a little agressive if you win against them (like it happened in '06).

2010 World Cup: Germany's Bastian Schweinsteiger says Argentina shows no respect - ESPN Soccernet (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5342296/ce/us/germany-bastian-schweinsteiger-says-argentina-shows-no-respect?cc=5901&ver=us)

Schweinsteiger feels the same way.

PRC777
06-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Ronaldinho got blasted in the press for partying at the last World Cup just after getting eliminated.

Was he supposed to sit in the bedroom of his house and get cold turkey over it? I can't believe he got criticized for being full of talent and character. After all, who wants to hear about how a team lost and that they are even ashamed to go back to their country, like England for example?

wwgkd
06-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Was he supposed to sit in the bedroom of his house and get cold turkey over it? I can't believe he got criticized for being full of talent and character. After all, who wants to hear about how a team lost and that they are even ashamed to go back to their country, like England for example?

Considering how many papers are covering the whole England ordeal, Im thinking quite a few people would. In fact I'd say that it got fairly interesting there, especially in some of the daily's coverage.

Niko_Fx
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Rooting for The Netherlands and Uruguay tomorrow.

Kitdy
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Rooting for The Netherlands and Uruguay tomorrow.

Uruguay?

You gotta cheer for Ghana! I always cheer for African teams, but this is extra special as it's actually in Africa.

I am pulling for the Dutch as I feel they are one of the better teams to have not won the WC. I also like the Netherlands.

Niko_Fx
07-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Uruguay?

You gotta cheer for Ghana! I always cheer for African teams, but this is extra special as it's actually in Africa.

I am pulling for the Dutch as I feel they are one of the better teams to have not won the WC. I also like the Netherlands.

Well, I just like it when the Conmebol reminds the World that they deserve the amount of slots that they have and that if anything they should take one away from the Concacaf... Just look at Honduras for example, they lost every game and didn't score a single goal, I bet any South American country would have performed better. Anyway, I don't know anything about Ghana, good for them for making it this far and if they continue then awesome... I'm really not rooting for anyone, just want to watch a good match.

The Netherlands should watch out though, both Ghana and Uruguay are kicking ass.

Niko_Fx
07-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Tomorrow Germany shall destroy the drug-addict, woman-beater, ugly-ass, Argentinean dwarf.

wwgkd
07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
I was going for Ghana and the Netherlands, so 50-50 on the day. Huge upset for the Netherlands and I could almost smell the Ghana win in the final seconds. When it went to PK I had a bad feeling, though.

Brazillian fans seem to be taking it hard:
Brazil fan kills himself after WC loss (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/brazil-fan-kills-himself-after-wc-loss-20100703-zuiv.html)

john14
07-03-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm not Dutch but Hup Holland Hup.

wwgkd
07-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Butt whuppin' put on by the Germans, and Argentina is out. Maradona is probably doing cocain off of strippers already, and may be fired despite his uber-celebrity status. After 4 South American teams getting into the Quarters for the first time in history there's a chance that Uruguay may be the only one to make it through.

Edit: So the Semis will be: Netherlands-Uruguay and Garmany-Spain.

Niko_Fx
07-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm just so happy right now... Good job Germany.

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/original/2010/07/03/chamada_alemanha2_620.jpg

Commodore GS/E
07-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Thats what i call a win. Flattened. Diego's face after the 3rd goal was epic :D. Go boys!
BTW, also good job by the Netherlands. I'll be away for a week now (sailing on the Ijsselmeer^^). I hope i'll be able to watch the semi-finals, though. Have a nice week everybody!

f6fhellcat13
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Have fun, man!

I am now inclined to root against Germany because they've done so well. :p

taz_rocks_miami
07-03-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm just so happy right now... Good job Germany.

http://s.glbimg.com/es/ge/f/original/2010/07/03/chamada_alemanha2_620.jpg

I could not agree more, hahahahahaha.

Kitdy
07-06-2010, 03:56 PM
...And then there were three.

A rematch of '74 seems likely.

Niko_Fx
07-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Holland will probably wind up as a runner up... is like there is this evil force preventing them from ever getting a cup.

wwgkd
07-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Glad to see the Dutch win, but I'm still going for Germany overall. Hopefully they won't miss Muller too awful much.

Kitdy
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Glad to see the Dutch win, but I'm still going for Germany overall. Hopefully they won't miss Muller too awful much.

Germany have won three times - they don't need another WC victory yet. The Dutch made it to the final - twice! - and both times lost to the hosts! That is a rotten situation.

I want the Dutch to win. They are maybe the best team to have not won, and I think they deserve it. Germany will have other times, and have had times recently when they have been contenders - it has been since '78 since the Dutch have been the final.

Also, if it's Germany/The Netherlands, they are very competitive, they are neighbours, and Germany is kinda the more illustrious, successful member of the two. It'd be great to see the Dutch get one on their big neighbours, kinda like - in the Anglo world - Canada over USA or the Kiwis over the Aussies.

pimento
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Spain is going to win, the psychic octopus said so (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/10521867.stm).

wwgkd
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
True, true. But I don't have any Dutch relatives, and with blood being thicker than water and all that... :) I wouldn't be heartbroken if the Dutch won over Germany in the finals, but it's not the way I'm leaning.

Edit: Well who am I to argue with Cthulhus cousin?

wwgkd
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Bloody octopus jinxed us. All that discussion was for naught because it's Netherlands vs Spain in the finals. Go the Dutch!

henk4
07-07-2010, 01:41 PM
In our national anthem is a line that says that we always honoured the king of Spain......so the result is clear.

Ferrer
07-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Please dutchies, just win the damn final.

Kitdy
07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Please dutchies, just win the damn final.

There are a few Catalans on the team it seems.

No love?

Ferrer
07-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Not when the spaniards are so cocky and selfconfindent about it.

wwgkd
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I was hoping for a beat down by the Germans, but they just didn't seem to be the same team that was so entertaining earlier in the cup. Still watching that game has left me with a profound sense of how far the US has to go before we're at their level, so a little cockiness is understandable I guess.

Kitdy
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I was hoping for a beat down by the Germans, but they just didn't seem to be the same team that was so entertaining earlier in the cup. Still watching that game has left me with a profound sense of how far the US has to go before we're at their level, so a little cockiness is understandable I guess.

I think Spain won because of their aggressive pressure defence (constantly clogging the lanes to use a hockey analogy) and supreme ball possession. If the Germans had more freed up space in the Spanish half, they coulda put some goals in. Argentina maybe had a less agressive defence and left the Germans space - thus letting them tear it up.

The Spanish I think made a mistake sitting back in the last 10 minutes - they somehow lost composure and weren't able to play their game well.

wwgkd
07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
True, much of the credit goes to the Spanish. But the Germans had no counter attack, which had been so successful in their earlier games. Some of that has to go to the loss of their leading scorer Thomas Muller and maybe some to the fact that they tried to change their game plan for this game and never seemed comfortable with the new strategy. That last 10 minutes did seem promising though. Too little too late.

I am of course repeating much of what the experts are saying, since I know almost nothing about soccer. I have to admit though, I've learned a lot during this world cup and I can in fact almost watch a whole game without changing the channel or finding something to read.

wwgkd
07-11-2010, 04:07 PM
And the Netherlands come up short again. Congrats to Spain.

Also setting records for the most cards ever in a final, that's something to be proud of I guess. The Dutch beat the old record all by themselves.

pimento
07-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I for one welcome our psychic octopus overlords.

kingofthering
07-11-2010, 06:05 PM
De Jong's flying chest kick was epic.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Guys, I wonder who will win the worl-ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNO OCTOPUS.

Sledgehammer
07-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Someone care to explain the hypno octopus?

IBrake4Rainbows
07-11-2010, 08:16 PM
ALL GLORY

Sledgehammer
07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
I dont know whether to be amused, shocked, or cry. Perhaps all of them.

Nevertheless 12/14 is something to bank on.

*edit* Their are entire countries that have a shorter article than the octopus.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Countries that are less awesome than this.

Seriously, Octopi freak me out with their intelligence, and dexterity.

YouTube - Shark vs Octopus

DELICIOUS SHARK, OM NOM NOM

pimento
07-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I watched that without sound.. so I pretty much used Batman's story for it. The shark killed the octopus' parents, so he had to die.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
The Octopus is Inigo Montoya,

You killed his father...

Prepare to die.

Kitdy
07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Well that was a disappointing game for me. My 1/4 Dutch friend said barely anything throughout the game and looked as though he was going to have an aneurysm. The expression on his face for most of the second half was one of fear, disappointment (due to the missed Robben chances), and worry.

A bunch of my friends watched the game together - we were all kitted out in orange (oranje?) and then they lost.

The best team not to win the World Cup.

Puyol after the game was on the field with a Spanish jersey with a gold star on it - suffice to say, those starred jersies are gonna sell like hotcakes in Spain this week.

I wanted to see the Dutch with a black star on their jersey - it woulda looked so cool.

Oh well.

As I said after the game to my friends, more importantly, the Canadian men's hockey team won gold on home soil.

Whooo!

Kitdy
07-12-2010, 12:48 AM

Octopi eating sharks?

YouTube - Tiger Shark vs. Albatross

Sharks eating birds?

This basically confirms that that the seemingly bizarre scene from The Simpsons' school video that Lisa watches - "Meat and You: Partners in Freedom" - where the eagle hunts the sheep and the shark eats the gorilla - is reality.

LeonOfTheDead
07-12-2010, 03:08 AM
ALL GLORY (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus)

According to some reports, he is Italian, found I think down South.
In other news, soccer is little more than a ballet.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Octopi eating sharks?

YouTube - Tiger Shark vs. Albatross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10u9WgZGSwk&feature=channel)

Sharks eating birds?

That reminds me of that photo of the Seagull sprinting down the beach with the caption "WINGS WHY WON'T YOU WORK OH S**T OH S**T".

Lulz.

This basically confirms that that the seemingly bizarre scene from The Simpsons' school video that Lisa watches - "Meat and You: Partners in Freedom" - where the eagle hunts the sheep and the shark eats the gorilla - is reality.

The Simpsons also believe that when you close the zoo at night Koalas drop from their perches and feast on the innocent.

This is also true.

henk4
07-12-2010, 06:31 AM
On behalf of the Dutch I apologise for the dramatically low quality and high violency final that the soccer world had to watch last night. Fortunately I had to go through my Le Mans Classic shots, so I spent my evening pretty well.

pimento
07-12-2010, 06:41 AM
On behalf of the Dutch I apologise for the dramatically low quality and high violency final that the soccer world had to watch last night. Fortunately I had to go through my Le Mans Classic shots, so I spent my evening pretty well.

I slept through it. Time well spent, I thought.

Dino Scuderia
07-12-2010, 07:04 AM

You still have the domino record....and hopefully the Dutch are better sports at that.

henk4
07-12-2010, 07:20 AM
You still have the domino record....and hopefully the Dutch are better sports at that.

yes, we know what really matters.

Commodore GS/E
07-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Weeeeeeell, i'm back from Holland. Sailing was pretty amazing (mostly good weather if you line out Saturday night ;)). However, the Germany vs. Spain game was the only thing that made me a bit sad. I think the result could have been different if Müller played, but it was a good game over all. Spain deserved to win.
When it comes to the final, though, i think it was a bit of a mess. Not what you call a nice game.

wwgkd
07-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Countries that are less awesome than this.

Seriously, Octopi freak me out with their intelligence, and dexterity.

That's from the zoo near my mum's house. We went there for her birthday that year, which was about a week after they discovered what had been eating the sharks. The guided part of the tour there was hilarious because they still hadn't figured out what to do about the whole thing.

According to some reports, he is Italian, found I think down South.
In other news, soccer is little more than a ballet.

With more acting. And, apparently, violence.

The Simpsons also believe that when you close the zoo at night Koalas drop from their perches and feast on the innocent.

This is also true.

Obviously, everything from Australia is evil. They even feed on poison.

I was kind of waiting for one side or the other to just throw an out and out elbow or punch the way things were going for a while there. Still, you made it to the final and upset Brazil, so just forget the last game and focus on the rest.

pimento
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Obviously, everything from Australia is evil. They even feed on poison.

We use it to season steaks.