PDA

View Full Version : A 997 GTR RSR popping a wheelie???

Kooper
06-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Bit of a pointless thread, so I apologize beforehand. I just stumbled onto the 24H Le Mans pictures gallery, and some great shots (my compliments to the photographer(s)).

It's just that this one pic completely baffles me, which is a pic of a Porsche 997 GT3 RSR seemingly on a reasonably level bit of tarmac, both front wheels noticeably quite far from the ground (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/gallery/21211/Porsche-997-GT3-RSR.html)...

How is this possible exactly? I know the 911's engine is at the rear and I know the weight distribution is decidedly biased towards the rear, and that the racing car probably has a fair amount of power. But, I was not expecting the car to be able to lift its nose.

Anyway, if you haven't checked the photos yet, go have a look. It carries my stamp of approval. :)

clutch-monkey
06-10-2010, 08:12 PM
could have just gone around a corner and bounced off the inside ripple strip?

Kooper
06-10-2010, 08:15 PM
could have just gone around a corner and bounced off the inside ripple strip?

Guess so, though it still looks somewhat strange as it looks like it's going straight-ish. Whatever it was doing, it looked great doing it.

clutch-monkey
06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Guess so, though it still looks somewhat strange as it looks like it's going straight-ish. Whatever it was doing, it looked great doing it.

that can be deceptive though. for eg both these shots were taken whilst the car was in the middle of quite a tight left hander

AERO_HDT
06-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Both front wheels are off the ground though, so the car certainly isn't coming out of a left or right-hand corner.

More than likely it's off a bump, but you really can't tell.

Commodore GS/E
06-11-2010, 09:21 AM
We managed to lift the front wheels on a friend's BMW 319ti Compact, so... ;)

Wouter Melissen
06-12-2010, 01:20 AM
It's coming out of the final bit of the Ford chicane and has just been launched off the kerbs.

Kooper
06-12-2010, 06:30 PM
It's coming out of the final bit of the Ford chicane and has just been launched off the kerbs.

Aha, thanks for clarifying that :)
Really awesome photo.