PDA

View Full Version : Austrailian Race Car Rolls into Crowd

ScionDriver
07-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Amazingly, only two spectators were hit and neither had serious injuries. The race was at Brisbane and from the article some said the track is unsafe and the track officials say it's fine. Maybe some of our down under members who have been there can enlighten us. Here is the link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1270410/Pictured-The-terrifying-moment-race-car-rolled-crowd-spectators.html)

W.R.
07-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Definitely something wrong with the safety there if the car's actually bouncing through a spectator area. Ouch.

LeonOfTheDead
07-18-2010, 12:30 PM
not the commonest accident though:

YouTube - Mini Cooper Crash Australia 2010

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah, Thats a pretty strange crash but it's just one of those freak accidents that are impossible to plan for.

LeonOfTheDead
07-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Sort of like this:

YouTube - Massive crash Seat Leon Eurocup 2010 Brands-Hatch (HD)

IBrake4Rainbows
07-19-2010, 05:54 AM
Holy christballs does thing get high.

However if proves that a barrel roll is always a good solution.

RSOWNER
07-19-2010, 06:19 AM
In both cases there is an absence of high wire-fencing above the crash barriers to help keep the car from leaving the track area. At the Donington circuit i've visited a fair few times as a spectator it always annoyed me as it made taking photos a pain since it unless you could get higher above it (like the stands) it was always in shot, when you see the benefits over it not being there though your annoyance soon turns to gratitude.

csl177
07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Moreover, both illustrate how much safer racing is for drivers in the modern era. Just twenty years ago crashes like those wouldn't have been survivable. Both of these drivers were shaken but walked away.

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 04:08 PM
In both cases there is an absence of high wire-fencing above the crash barriers to help keep the car from leaving the track area.
bah. fencing would be a pain for photographers and spectators. the run off area there is fine for 98% of the time.. i've come off there before.

oh.. for those that weren't there.. it happened twice during the mini sprints :p

wwgkd
07-20-2010, 12:50 AM
Amazingly, only two spectators were hit and neither had serious injuries. The race was at Brisbane and from the article some said the track is unsafe and the track officials say it's fine. Maybe some of our down under members who have been there can enlighten us. Here is the link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1270410/Pictured-The-terrifying-moment-race-car-rolled-crowd-spectators.html)

It was in australia. They have uber reflexes developed over years of living in a land so deadly even the devil decided to go somewhere safer.

bah. fencing would be a pain for photographers and spectators. the run off area there is fine for 98% of the time.. i've come off there before.

oh.. for those that weren't there.. it happened twice during the mini sprints :p

You do seem to have a knack for that. :p:D

clutch-monkey
07-20-2010, 01:13 AM
It was in australia. They have uber reflexes developed over years of living in a land so deadly even the devil decided to go somewhere safer.

what the video didn't show was the spectators catching the mini, and throwing it back onto the track.. :D

You do seem to have a knack for that. :p:D
same corner. :p

Kitdy
07-20-2010, 01:22 AM
same corner. :p

Wait... Did you understeer off?!

That would be bizarre in that vintage 911.

clutch-monkey
07-20-2010, 01:37 AM
aquaplaned.

whiteballz
07-20-2010, 02:24 AM
Thats what he claims.

clutch-monkey
07-20-2010, 03:38 AM
just ask the 944 next to me :p

wwgkd
07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
The fact that the Boxter is still on the track difinitively proves that mid-engined is the superior choice. :p
Should have stayed on the gas, looks like you almost made it through the trap. ;)