PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Invasion 2012?

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

This is aimed particularly those that reside in the US o' A..
Or those that have experience there.

I am cautiously piecing together a tentative road trip across your soft, greasy country.

The vague plan is to start on one coast - buy an aircraft carrier and float my way across to the other side.

The intention is to come accross some nice driving roads and pretty landscapes - A potential route trip is to follow the TG trip to the salt flats from San Fran, (because that mountian pass they found was godly).

But I don't actually know anything in the middle of america worth seeing. As far as I know its all corn feilds and rednecks in the south, and in the north some fairly pretty lakes and uh, nothing else?

I don't particularly care for amusement parks or other ultra rage inducing wastes of money - However things to see, Places to go, Drives to complete.. All of this information would be kindly appreciated.

Pretty Vistas etc greatly appreciated..
(If anyone can dig up that awesome set of photos from that bike trip a guy took I'd be eternally grateful)..

In short -
Please let me know what is awesome to see/where is awesome to go/where is better to start and to finish. And where all the pretty girls are.

Thanks.

Will be editing first post as a chalkboard for me to keep track of ideas.

CITYS:

New York City
New Orleans
San Antonio
Las Vegas
San diego
Los angeles
San Francisco

ROADS:

CA-1 (West coast)
Arizona 89-A (through Prescott National Forest)

pimento
07-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Sounds awesomesauce. Look up something called America Unchained by Dave Gorman, he tried to drive from east to west coast without giving money to The Man. No chain stores allowed, including fuel and accomodation. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll leave it on a USB key on my bike or something.. you can grab it next time you go teabagging.

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I should also mention an idea is to buy an RC plane and re-create the battle of midway using the cadillac as the aircraft carrier launching mock battles against other road users.

pimento
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
This epic of epic epicness just attained a +10 epic.

ThisBlood147
07-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Sounds like fun. It's kind of hard to plot out anything definitively under those criteria, since you can find elements that fit that bill fairly nicely in just about any of the continental states. You should just keep in mind that each state is almost like an individual country unto itself. The people and the sights will vary greatly from one border to the next. I suggest doing alot of research online. Oh, and don't get too hung up on the typical American stereotypes while planning........there's plenty more to find in the southern states than "corn fields and rednecks".

Out of curiosity, how long do you plan for this trip to be?

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 06:05 PM
I think a place I would love to visit (I think its in the north west) is the redwood pine / rocky mountians. Sounds weird but from all the photos / videos of the area the lane markings through the forest are in yellow?

Any help for location guys?

Length wise maybe 3 / 4 weeks. Not too short maybe 3 days in the bigger citys and overnights in smaller ones.

And blood, I was using hyperbole a little about the middle states- I just honestly have no idea about their landscapes.

ThisBlood147
07-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I should also mention an idea is to buy an RC plane and re-create the battle of midway using the cadillac as the aircraft carrier launching mock battles against other road users.

Please tell me you plan on driving a more worthy aircraft carrier than a Cadillac. :D Surely you mean to do SOME spirited driving while here.

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Something cheap/pref V8 + RWD. Dynamics matter but honestly budget wont be big at ALL.

Another few questions -
Can anyone reccomend a good time frame?
(Is 3 or 4 weeks a good amount of time?)

East to west or west to east?

Cool car events? (I'd be dead keen for a NASCAR event for luls)

pimento
07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
You should try hook up with a LeMons race while there..

f6fhellcat13
07-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Redwoods live basically in the northern half of California so anywhere along there is fair game, my personal recommendation would be visiting Big Sur which is near Monterey, about 100 miles south of San Francisco, which is a great city. Big Sur is really really beautiful.

Pilgrimage to Bonneville sounds like a great idea, and something I need to do sometime soon. :p

The Rockies are a healthy >1000 miles inland but you will have to cross them in some form no matter your route, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

As in the TG special, buying an old floater may not be quite as easy as you'd expect, but you should be able to find an okay 70-80s Caddy for $500-2,000, with reliability not necessarily included.

clutch-monkey
07-18-2010, 09:25 PM
i probably won't make it. need the money to buy more cars or whatever. unless i buy something over there and bring it back?

whiteballz
07-18-2010, 09:39 PM
Fair enough. It's a pitty if you dont come though - Buy an AR15 while your over there..

CA-1 has just been recomended to me, So theres a must visit apparently.

csl177
07-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Sure you wanna go the Dr. Gonzo route with wheels? A great shark/aircraft carrier has appeal, but after awhile will probably boor you silly. Scope CL well ahead of time, you should be able to find something cheap & dependable enough to make some of those scenic roads pretty rewarding. Just a quick search in Seattle showed this for $1500:

1994 S.H.O. Taurus (http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/1850504223.html) but no worries if ya gotta have this, mate: 1983 Cadillac Coupe Deville Lowrider (http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1850475334.html) :D

Of course, whatever city you land in (has cheapest direct flights from Oz) will do, but drive down the PCH (definately include Big Sur), hang a left to Bakersfield and through Sequoia and Death Valley, then south to the Grand Canyon, finally heading north to stop at Bonneville, just because. Maybe shunt to follow Route 66 for a good stretch... say to Oklahoma City. Turn right at St. Louis, south down the Big Muddy, get some raw-roots culture along the way. After that, up through Alabama/Georgia to the Blue Ridge Parkway... Virginia, a trip into DC & Philadelphia, ending in NYC. Pretty ambitious, but worth the effort. Two or three weeks is about right, just as it would be for a visitor to Australia wanting more than a tourist taste. Google Earth/Maps will be your best planning friend. America's drippy wang (Florida) is half tourist bait, and an additional 1000-1200 miles if you try the perimeter trip.

And that's skipping the Keys. Orlando and Miami simply aren't worth the gasoline.

clutch-monkey
07-18-2010, 11:37 PM
i'd have to visit san diego. plus i'll need to bring back a car, probably loaded with stuff.

henk4
07-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I was told that route 66 can become quite boring in the mid to mid-west part, which is a significant share of the trip. May be tour around in the west coast region for a while (two weeks), take a plane to the east coast and do another roundtrip there. (another two weeks). My experience is limited to the westcoast, and you could easily spend four to five weeks there, if you do not want to sit it the car for 8 hours each day.

Zerosven
07-19-2010, 12:08 AM
If you like the Beach and Forests check out the Oregon and Washington coast i live up here in the Pacific northwest and its hard to beat our costs as far as scenery goes. Also lots of fun backroads. I love to just go for drives wen i get the chance lots of fun to be had out here but be carefull if you make it out here Low crime = Lots of Speed Traps

henk4
07-19-2010, 12:17 AM
If you like the Beach and Forests check out the Oregon and Washington coast i live up here in the Pacific northwest and its hard to beat our coAsts as far as scenery goes. Also lots of fun backroads. I love to just go for drives wen i get the chance lots of fun to be had out here but be carefull if you make it out here Low crime = Lots of Speed Traps

having done the trip up north from San Francisco, into the Canadian Rockies and back to Seattle via Vancouver, I can only subscribe to that. (Furthermore welcome to UCP, and please not the minor correction I made to your post:))

f6fhellcat13
07-19-2010, 12:23 AM
having done the trip up north from San Francisco, into the Canadian Rockies and back to Seattle via Vancouver, I can only subscribe to that. (Furthermore welcome to UCP, and please not the minor correction I made to your post:))
People in glass houses... ;)

By the way, what time of the year are you planning on visiting, ballz?

henk4
07-19-2010, 12:35 AM
People in glass houses... ;)

By the way, what time of the year are you planning on visiting, ballz?

the area where I live is very well known for its glass houses. (aka Glass City) At night the sky shows orange from the special lighting of these glass houses.......

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Timing is free for all, I'd love to do the whole autumn thing, We dont get many trees that turn red and brown over here, but Spring would be lovely too. I'd half love to go in winter, but Its all in the air :)

henk4
07-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Timing is free for all, I'd love to do the whole autumn thing, We dont get many trees that turn red and brown over here, but Spring would be lovely too. I'd half love to go in winter, but Its all in the air :)

Just be in Vermont when the trees turn red....

IBrake4Rainbows
07-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I'm a tentative yes on this trip also (tall things like Redwoods and myself draw each other together).

I've always been fascinated by the desert - you know that image of the craggy outcrops of rocks and soaring formations. Bliss.

I'm kind of amazed by stuff like Hoover dam, Vegas etc. We'd have to see that.

I kind of had the idea to start in NYC, Head over to Chicago (the home of Modern Architecture), then down through the deserts of Nevada and California, and ending up in Washington state (Seattle). That could be nice.

Also, R/C cars and battle of midway lulz FTMFW.

Donate now!

RacingManiac
07-19-2010, 06:14 AM
Anywhere can be quite boring in the midwest...

Avoid Iowa, Nebraska and the part of Colorado/Kansas close to those 2 states. Because cornfield is about all it is...

NSXType-R
07-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Not sure if you want to buy any rust bucket. Thing is, if nothing breaks, that's fine. You may end up spending a lot of money just fixing the damn thing.

It's one thing to try and emulate Top Gear, it's another to drive across America.

You forget Top Gear is financed by the BBC, but you're financed by your own bank account. :D

You might want to stop by NYC, it's a nice place.

And not sure why, but why would you want to do it in 2012? Is it because it's right before the end of the world? :D

csl177
07-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Anywhere can be quite boring in the midwest...
Avoid Iowa, Nebraska and the part of Colorado/Kansas close to those 2 states. Because cornfield is about all it is...

+1... cornfields, sugarbeets and unrelenting flat sameness. Chicago is a great town, but Henk might be right: fly to a couple of places east-west, save road time. Maybe rentals are a better idea than buying a barge.

If you like mountains and desert you could spend all 3 weeks west of the Rockies and be overwhelmed. Yosemite, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Great Basin, Tetons, Cascades... ;)

Lotec_Sirius
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
If you want nice scenery, and are going from the West Coast to East Coast, I'd recommend starting in California, going up through Oregon and Washington, and then driving through the northern states along the Canadian border until you get to Minnesota. Minnesota is heavily wooded in the north, and then rolling hills in the central part, and then in the southeastern part of the state along the Mississippi River, there are picturesque bluffs and tons of lakes. Minnesota is called The Land of 10,000 Lakes, but really it's closer to 12,000.

The people in Minnesota are very nice and welcoming, and it always ranks among the smartest states. The vast majority of Minnesotans have Scandinavian heritage, it's like a second Sweden. Our biggest cities, the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St Paul, are both very nice and clean with plenty of things to do.

From there I would recommend either flying to Miami or driving to Chicago and then flying to Miami. Chicago is a world class city but the rest of the Midwest can be very boring.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
I was contemplating a rental last night, which would be nice to have something reliable. Unfortunately I have no doubt whatever would work out cheapest would be something immensely horrible or boring. (assuming US rentals are like AU rentals).

2012 is because that gives all potential participants time to save money and get time off from work well in advance.

I don't really think flying around the US would be an enjoyable experiance. Maybe it's just me but its a romantic sort of right of passage to manhood doing an epic road trip. (does that make sence?)

I think giving ourselves 3 or 4 weeks to complete the trip would be enough, considering I don't think we'd plan to "MUST BE HERE AT 4:00PM on the 14th" sort of thing.

Thanks to those that have voiced their oppinions.. I'll be sure to think of more questions.. And im sure regi will have a few too.

f6fhellcat13
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
You dare call a Chrysler Sebring horrible!?

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
*shudders* I don't imagine having a good time in one of those..

EDIT: Clutch - Whats in San Diego? Other than being right across the border from tijuana.. ohhh I see.

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
I was contemplating a rental last night, which would be nice to have something reliable. Unfortunately I have no doubt whatever would work out cheapest would be something immensely horrible or boring.
can't you rent mustangs and shit? i'd have to do that. have to do it in a mustang. or buy one. **** i dunno.

EDIT: Clutch - Whats in San Diego? Other than being right across the border from tijuana.. ohhh I see.
Rachel is in San Diego...
and i'd have to visit the zoo.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 04:15 PM
I was thinking renting a mustang would probably prove abit costly - sort of like renting an SS would prove costly here.

However maybe if we settle for a v6 version?

San diego is do-able, so if thats a place you want to go we can do it easily.

EDIT: Aren't you dating amy now?

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I was thinking renting a mustang would probably prove abit costly - sort of like renting an SS would prove costly here.

However maybe if we settle for a v6 version?

the current V6 version would be excellent imo.

EDIT: Aren't you dating amy now?
that doesn't mean i can't visit Rachel? also she works at San Diego zoo, so it would be awesome.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 04:33 PM
By 2012 the new Taurus (Falcon) would be out...

Cyco
07-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Sounds an interesting plan...

Cobrafan427
07-19-2010, 06:13 PM
If u like baseball and wanna get in and watch it for free then come to my hometown (kinda, i live 10 mins away) of Williamsport in late August for the Little League World Series. I go every yr and it's actually pretty cool to watch these kids play. They're pretty damn good and a lot grow up to be pros. Then if u wanna see the trees turn color u could take the last 2 weeks (assuming u hightail it and get from Cali to the northeast in 2 weeks) and drive up to Maine and hit up Philly, NYC and Boston in the process. You could also stop and lap Watkins Glen and Lime Rock b/c they'd still be open. Just a thought b/c to rly experience America i think u need to hit the 3 corners (Washington is just like the northeast xcept the forests r bigger and it rains all the time)

pimento
07-19-2010, 06:16 PM
They say it rains all the time in Washington, but I was there for a month (in Seattle) and it rained a little bit in one of the days... that was it. Nice place..

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
By 2012 the new Taurus (Falcon) would be out...
i dunno..
mustang or bust! :D
maybe time it for WTAC when it's hosted over there.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 06:25 PM
I'm sure theres other events in the US we could find, Nascar/Indy or an ALMS event at laguna seca or something.

I'm happy to look into renting a mustang or camaro, though space wise the number of people may be an issue?

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm sure theres other events in the US we could find, Nascar/Indy or an ALMS event at laguna seca or something.

I'm happy to look into renting a mustang or camaro, though space wise the number of people may be an issue?
rent two :p
they seat 5 people though right?
nascar at watkins glen or something would be sweet.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
It will all come down to cost and how many people actually come along.
(I'm assuming renting 2 cars for a month would be quite costly.)

Nascar at watkins glen would be sweet..

Kitdy
07-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Nascar at watkins glen would be sweet..

The Glen is (relatively) close to me - I was considering going this year in fact.

4.5 hours from TO.

I would love to meet you mental Aussies. If you guys are hitting NYC, I've never been and would love to go... If you'd tolerate a Canuck amongst you.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 08:44 PM
I'm sure we could survive a canukistanian hanging out with us.

Just watch out for Regi - He goes for the balls.

Kitdy
07-19-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm sure we could survive a canukistanian hanging out with us.

Just watch out for Regi - He goes for the balls.

In fact, I may hit The Glen this year. August 8.

It's a bit out of the way, but Montreal is a bangin' city with one of the best nightlifes in all of North America, if not the world (so I am told).

The Quebecois women are off the charts (and can speak dirty to you en Francais), the food is great (Poutine... Mmm... Pizza with delicious bacon - all toppings under the cheese), there are drug services that deliver, tons of strip clubs...

It's a bachelor's paradise.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I think we could handle you, Wether you can handle the concentrated awesome of 3 sams is another question..

Kitdy
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I think we could handle you, Wether you can handle the concentrated awesome of 3 sams is another question..

Why the shit are all you people named Sam?

What are the chances of 3 Australians named Sam all being regular contributors to this site, which has maybe 50 active users? Are half of the Australian population named Sam or something?

What do you call each other in each other's presence? Ballsack, Gun Nut, and... Who is the other Sam?

EDIT: Pimento? I guess you could call him "The Postman".

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Generally I'm ballz, manatee or sam,
Clutch is usually clutch, goodson, pedo..
IB4R is usually regi.

When we meet up (2 or 3 times a year) the people we hang out with tend to learn pretty quick not to just say "Sam".

Zerosven
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
my sister needed to rent a car for a month and it cost her 950 USD It was a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Basemodel rentals are spendy but it would cost you less then buying somthing and having to ither ditch it or ship it home after 3 weeks

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 10:19 PM
950usd for a cobalt isn't half bad.
What are the bigger US car rental companies?

Kitdy
07-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Hertz is the main one I think. They bought their main competitor Dollar-Thrifty a few months ago.

There's also Avis, Alamo and Budget.

f6fhellcat13
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Hertz or Enterprise are the two biggest I think.
You have to be 25 to rent a car here, though which might cause problems for you lot, though I dunno how that applies to foreigners.

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
if we buy a car we might recoup the costs at the end by selling it perhaps. will warrant further investigation.
i'm not doing this in a goddamn slobalt. if i'm spending the money to go the US, i'm sure as shit going pony up a little extra cash to do it in something tolerable :p
edit: if regi is coming he has to do it in some scion xB fridgebox!

You have to be 25 to rent a car here, though which might cause problems for you lot.
nope.

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Hmm, Thanks for that info..
Does anyone know any potential issues for forieners buying cars in the US? like to register it or something do you need a "permanant address"?

Kitdy
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Does anyone know any potential issues for forieners buying cars in the US? like to register it or something do you need a "permanant address"?

Judging by the way the US runs, it could well depend on the state you buy the car in.

f6fhellcat13
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Damn you're old, clutch! haha
I figured you for earlier twenties

whiteballz
07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
He's still 24. By 2012 he'll be fine :p

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
might have to talk to Jay or some other club members who import cars from the US, might be able to organise something through them?
lol, maybe borrow someone's porsche whilst we're there, i dunno.

Judging by the way the US runs, it could well depend on the state you buy the car in.
is it the same for fireworks and firearms LOL

henk4
07-19-2010, 11:13 PM
why don't we organise a California reunion/get to know each other, in August 2012, on the occasion of the Pebble Beach events?

clutch-monkey
07-19-2010, 11:33 PM
i'd love to attend pebble beach :) we can also compare rental car experiences :p :D

wwgkd
07-19-2010, 11:57 PM
might have to talk to Jay or some other club members who import cars from the US, might be able to organise something through them?
lol, maybe borrow someone's porsche whilst we're there, i dunno.

is it the same for fireworks and firearms LOL

Pretty much. Fireworks even varies by county. We were originally envisioned as separate states that were somewhat united, since then we've become one country, but still pretty independant states. It gets interesting.

Every major company rents mustangs, and they're not that much more expensive than a slobalt. A manual GT may be hardish to find though, so you'll prolly want to arrange that ahead of time.

Also, no road trip through the US is complete without a stretch of CA 1 as has been recommended, and your rental car must overheat climbing out of Death Valley. There is a ton of scenery at the west end of the country, at least, so you won't have trouble finding stuff to do. It would be more about what you can skip. I've done several 2 week road trips and still haven't hit everything I want to see west of the Rockies.

pimento
07-19-2010, 11:58 PM
You guise are making me want to scrounge up some cash/holiday time.. prollibury can't do a road trip, but a cali meet sounds definately possible.

2ndclasscitizen
07-20-2010, 12:30 AM
You guise are making me want to scrounge up some cash/holiday time.. prollibury can't do a road trip, but a cali meet sounds definately possible.

+1. I'll have to see how much $$$ I can scrounge together after my European jaunt next year.

whiteballz
07-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Really will be an Aussie invasion!

Could this be the First major UCP international meetup?

whiteballz
07-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Just looking on the hertz site - it would be 2500+ for a month.. in a pontiac G6..

pimento
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Ewww.. gotta find a Titanic.

whiteballz
07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, that was picking it up in NYC and returning it to san francisco.

cmcpokey
07-20-2010, 07:48 PM
i'm up for Pebble in 2012... i will be gone from monterey (will find out where i am going next soonish), but hopefully within a days drive.

either way there is a lot of amazing stuff to do in this big country. i think starting in boston or NYC is a good place to start you can spend weeks alone in either of those cities. and from there it is relatively quick to get to DC, which really is an amazing city to see. you can head south west into Virgina and get to the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is a slow but beautiful drive. and while you are in western NC eastern tennessee you can visit the tail of the dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/). You can head south to florida, if you like. i have lived there, was not amused. CSL may feel differently, and maybe you could go visit him and check out his collection. head along the beach to New Orleans and enjoy lots of food and beverage, and have a lot of terrible mornings. head north along the river road and check out some of the small towns along the mississippi river.

then you can hit up memphis and maybe all the way up to St. Louis, and get a taste for proper Barbecue (although personally i am partial to Eastern North Carolina Style). you can head east a little bit to visit Indy, if that is a mecca for you as it is a lot of car geeks, or head north and visit chicago. i am not familiar with chicago, so i would let others speak on that. then head west through the dakotas and go see Mt Rushmore. keep going west and get your camp on in Yellowstone. Head south and join up with I-80 and head to the salt flats. maybe try and time it with speedweek (typically coincides with Pebble Beach though).

Head Sw from there to Vegas, continues on SW to San Diego and let Clutch do whatever it is he wants to do with is ex and some animals. drive north to LA and hit up the Peterson Museum and maybe the new Mullin museum. drive up 1 along the beach through Big Sur and monterey. Hit up San Francisco. Continue north through wine country and hug the coast north to Portland (awesome city) and on to seattle (another awesome city) and maybe Vancouver.

ok, thats my itinerary for you guys, and no matter where I am living it will be not far from your route. so pay me a visit.

csl177
07-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, that was picking it up in NYC and returning it to san francisco. That always adds to the rental fee, but considering the convenience, worth it. What's the cost for a Q7 or similar?
Comfort and space... just don't tell Ferrer you liked it. :)

i'm up for Pebble in 2012... i will be gone from monterey (will find out where i am going next soonish), but hopefully within a days drive. We'll be there too, could be a UCP happening. We rent a house about a mile from the track.

... the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is a slow but beautiful drive. and while you are in western NC eastern tennessee you can visit the tail of the dragon (http://www.tailofthedragon.com/). Yes to this... although traffic can be an issue and kill the joy of the place. Especially in Summer.
You can head south to florida, if you like. i have lived there, was not amused. CSL may feel differently... Not amused? You're positively understating how rank parts of Florida can be, pokey :D... and I'm from here :o. As previously advised, mostly not worth the gasoline as geographically it's inconvenient. There are many amazing places, but dealing with touristas, traffic
and distance can ruin the experience. If you do make it this far south we'll be glad to host you.
UCP'ers in Boynton, Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.

You guys could even sleep in my shop (it's furnished) to save on hotel. All car keys will be locked away. :rolleyes:

cmcpokey
07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
you gonna be here this year? if so we shoudl get together for some beers (W and Pieter as well)

csl177
07-20-2010, 09:06 PM
Not this year. It's been pretty tight for my racing pals so no transport happening, they're skipping it too. And with three project cars
heavily underway ($$$) we're only taking a long weekend to DC for vacation. Also hoping hurricane season defies predictions this year. Definately back to Monterey next year and afterwards, though.We always regret when we can't go.
The one car event week that's worth every effort.

henk4
07-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Just looking on the hertz site - it would be 2500+ for a month.. in a pontiac G6..

I very much doubt that by 2012 they will offer Pontiacs for a rental. I am actually surprised to still see them doing that now.

f6fhellcat13
07-20-2010, 11:23 PM
If you do go the old beater route, it would probably be best to look on the local craigslist beforehand and get clutch's friend to check it out.
On a largish budget it is easier to find a better car more quickly, but finding a good/tolerable one on a budget takes a little more planning and research.
EDIT: Haha, sorry, that is pretty obvious, don't know why I bothered to say it. :o
$2,500 is pretty absurd, though, so I think it might just be worth it.

Depending on my work situation, I'd love to attend and will have just turned 21. :)

IBrake4Rainbows
07-21-2010, 03:05 AM
I'd still think a Rental car would be a sweet thing over a Beater...$3000 wouldn't really net us anything good or reliable, surely. Plus, Insurance...

It must be a Mustang though, Convertible, Lulz. Profit.

Theoretically we might have to swing by San Antonio, also.

whiteballz
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Crossing Death valley in a topless mustang naked... Could get interesting.

I don't want to intrude on any US members, but if you guys want to meet up -
Or join with us for a leg perhaps voice your intrest here?

Okay, So far we have 2 Cities that are "must visits"

Could I get the members that are hoping to come along to write a list of -
Things they want to see.
Places they want to go.
People they want to do.

So far:
San Antonio
San Diego

cmcpokey
07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
count me in on the meet up thing. if my earlier post didnt signal that.

pimento
07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Is pebble beach going to be in there?

whiteballz
07-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Pebble depends on timing, Does anyone know when it is on?

As I believe Clutch is only able to go during July, I'd rather travel with clutch and miss pebble beach, than the other way around :)

clutch-monkey
07-21-2010, 07:18 PM
pebble beach may have to be a separate trip? a quick trip, recon.. :p

csl177
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Pebble depends on timing, Does anyone know when it is on?

Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach Concours have historically been held the 2nd or 3rd week of August.

Since Steve Earle (original promoter of the Historics) is promoting his own event, you guys could check that out.
This year it was at Sonoma June 5-6, no telling what the 2012 plans are. http://generalracing.com/sonoma-historics-news

cmcpokey
07-21-2010, 09:43 PM
if you really want to hit a concours but cant make pebble, consider meadowbrook, which is in july i think, or amellia island which is in spring.

whiteballz
07-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm not really one for perfectly restored classics and erm "polite" car events.

I dont think our typical "how many Clutch-Monkeys can we fit into the boot" game would work very well on a 250 GTO breadvan..

I'd much prefer to go to a cars + coffee event (youtube it, Looks amazing).

clutch-monkey
07-21-2010, 10:25 PM
just think of it as an elaborate show n' shine. you'll do fine.

whiteballz
07-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Thing is as a sydney sider and drift fanatic if a car is in
A) Pristine condition - its not being driven hard enough
or
B) A show N shine - Its sex spec and to be avoided at all costs.

If it so happens to co-incide with out planned dates thats good, but if it doesn't I'm not going to loose sleep.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-22-2010, 12:51 AM
I definately think it might be a little prissy at a Concours.

Coffee and Cars might be a better choice for a meet up, or if we can hunt down the Speedhunters/HerraFrush crews could be awesome.

I'd like to See Chicago also - Ferris Bueller recreations FTW.

wwgkd
07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
I'd be interested in a meetup if you guys swing through the area. I know Pimento has (had?) friends somewhere around here so that could work.

whiteballz
07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I really need a map that I can pin points on to sort of rough out our route..

NSXType-R
07-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I'd still think a Rental car would be a sweet thing over a Beater...$3000 wouldn't really net us anything good or reliable, surely. Plus, Insurance...

It must be a Mustang though, Convertible, Lulz. Profit.

Theoretically we might have to swing by San Antonio, also.

It'd be hilarious in a Mustang Hertz rental car. :D

wwgkd
07-22-2010, 03:32 PM
It'd be hilarious in a Mustang Hertz rental car. :D

You mean the GT-H? I thought of that but I don't think they're doing them any more and they definitely won't be renting them by 2012.

I vote if you can't get a Mustang rental then buy a pink Cadillac convertible.

whiteballz
07-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I just put the rough trip through google maps (just with citys as a guide (route would be different) and it says from New York (start) to San Fran (end) It would be 6,373 km.

That drive is NYC, New Orleans, San Antonio, Las Vegas, San diego, Los Angeles then San Francisco.

Naturally this is without diverisons and obviously we need to actually know where UCP members live to actually try drop in and say hi.

pimento
07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd be interested in a meetup if you guys swing through the area. I know pimento has (had?) friends somewhere around here so that could work.

Seattle mainly, and a couple in San Fran. If there was an Event to meet at I'd likely do that then head up to Seattle.

wwgkd
07-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Seattle mainly, and a couple in San Fran. If there was an Event to meet at I'd likely do that then head up to Seattle.

I'd be good for a seattle meet. My mom actually lives a little over a mile from Pacific Raceways if you guys wanted to drag your rental. :D

whiteballz
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Found a little nice looking bit of road from google maps.. while scoping out a possible route.. "Arizona 89" through prescott national forrest.

http://ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=339627&stc=1&d=1279842532

http://ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=339628&stc=1&d=1279842532

whiteballz
07-23-2010, 05:35 PM
So we honestly are looking at renting a car as the No1 mode people?

Also, If you want to nominate anyone else to join in the amusement let me know.

I've told ben about the trip and he seems keen, Seeing as both you sams get along with him the majority of the time it wouldnt hurt.

I realise we cant exactly fit 6 people in a mustang convertable - So discussion is open..

csl177
07-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Found a little nice looking bit of road from google maps.. while scoping out a possible route.. "Arizona 89" through prescott national forrest.
Depending on how you approach that area, recommend you also include scenic US163... 1.5 hours north is Monument Valley. Spectacular. Every classic western you remember was filmed there.

So we honestly are looking at renting a car as the No1 mode people? ...I realise we cant exactly fit 6 people in a mustang convertable - So discussion is open..
A motorhome seems unlikely for you guys... so, go cheap on two cars? Rent-A-Wreck.com - Car Rental - Rent a used car and save! 30 years of providing great cars and great service! (http://www.rentawreck.com/default.htm)

IBrake4Rainbows
07-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Thats possibly the worst designed website I've ever seen. Ever.

Motorhome sounds lulz but I don't think that quite gets the point - we're there to drive, not to dawdle.

I say rent (selling the car afterwards and finding a decent one is really pot luck, plus registration, insurance...)having said that though, we might need to rent them in Clutch's name - he might be over 25 by then.

$10 says Ben's missus says no and he drops out. :D

2 Cars makes it interesting - certainly renting two of them is going to be mucho expensive, but buying two just as much. Double headache...FUUUUUU-

pimento
07-24-2010, 06:37 AM
A pair of cars opens up more shennanigan related opportunities.. and tickets to leave behind when you fly home.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-24-2010, 06:45 AM
It also opens up Convoy related opportunities.

and a true battle of Midway.

cmcpokey
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
It also opens up Convoy related opportunities.

and a true battle of Midway.

i see some spray can Japan vs USA livery.

whiteballz
07-24-2010, 02:57 PM
Seriously. I want to buy an old caddy and paint it like an aircraft carrier.
I'm not joking. I want to even make a cardboard island to put on it.

2ndclasscitizen
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
I say rent (selling the car afterwards and finding a decent one is really pot luck, plus registration, insurance...)having said that though, we might need to rent them in Clutch's name - he might be over 25 by then.

I'll be over 25, and more to the point, I'll look like it too. Especially since I'll be able to see over the rental office desk.

IBrake4Rainbows
07-25-2010, 05:11 AM
That is true - I presume you also own a belt with which to maintain optimum pants-waist connectivity.

Surely we can rent a Mercury Grand Marquis or equivalent...Rent-A-Wreck does sound kind of awesome though.

Failing that, we could barrel roll in a Jeep?

whiteballz
07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Ugh, Fuel for a GEEP across america on a highway? Do not want..

wwgkd
07-25-2010, 08:51 PM
You'd be running about the same in a Caddy, if you guys hadn't considered that part. Except the Caddy would probably leave you feeling more comfortable at high speeds (thus encouraging greater useage of fuel?)

clutch-monkey
07-25-2010, 08:52 PM
ugh. no jeep, i want to actually get to our destination some time.

unless we roll it into a firing range or something.

Zerosven
07-25-2010, 10:08 PM
My step dad owns a '02 Jeep Wrangler Rides Rough gets about 20mpg its the 6cyl. but most importlenty wen you get over 45mph it feels like its going to tip... he got it for driving in the hills...

wwgkd
07-26-2010, 08:11 PM
At least on the '97-'06 model they fixed the whole mirror shaking at speed thing. So, you know, it's got that going for it.

I'm still voting for the Mustang or the pink Caddy convertible for Midway recreations.

pimento
07-26-2010, 08:55 PM
I think we need to engage international resources to make this happen.. does anyone know the number for Mythbusters? If anyone can convert a caddy into an aircraft carrier, it's them.

Cobrafan427
07-27-2010, 08:57 PM
whatever u do, stay away from a Cobalt. The nickname Slobalt doesn't do it justice, i could prolly beat it on a the quarter mile w/ my boat of a Crown Vic. Doesn't ride very well either and the steering is meh. I just drove my grandpa's this past week and he bought it from a rental place, it was terrible, he has a habit of buying bad cars lol

IBrake4Rainbows
07-29-2010, 07:41 AM
OMG, Crown Vic Vs Cadillac Fleetwood.

Winrar is me for coming up with that idea.

pimento
07-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Dodge Monaco.

+2 internets to who knows why.

Cobrafan427
07-29-2010, 05:33 PM

haha swing thru Pennsylvania and we'll set up a race, there's plenty of straight back roads, we could go side by side

cmcpokey
07-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Dodge Monaco.

+2 internets to who knows why.

that would be dangerous... too many police chases.

clutch-monkey
07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
it's night..and we're wearing sunglasses.

pimento
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Werd. You guys can share the internets.

Kitdy
07-29-2010, 11:17 PM

Uh... My friend actually has owned a 1990 Brougham d'Elegance and a 2007(?) Crown Vic.

I have been driven around in both of those cars many times, and actually drove the Vic briefly.

They were both hilarious.

Cobrafan427
07-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Uh... My friend actually has owned a 1990 Brougham d'Elegance and a 2007(?) Crown Vic.

I have been driven around in both of those cars many times, and actually drove the Vic briefly.

They were both hilarious.

his is 17(?) years older than mine haha

pimento
07-30-2010, 06:03 PM
his is 17(?) years older than mine haha

You mean newer? :p

wwgkd
07-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I've got a crown vic I could sell you. Fell off the back of a truck. Looks like it at any rate. Ignore the ants, they don't bite much.

whiteballz
07-30-2010, 06:31 PM
How much?

pimento
07-30-2010, 06:55 PM
And will it make it across the country without major mechanical failure? Foibles are ok, being stranded.. less so. Though you could always try and incentivise the ants to help you out.

Cobrafan427
07-31-2010, 11:27 PM
You mean newer? :p

haha yeah that's what i meant, i dyslexia i have swear.

wwgkd
07-31-2010, 11:45 PM
Should make it across the country. The only problems we've had with it were things like the cruise control, the auto rising antenna and one of the rear door locks. Does mark its territory a bit but the fluid levels never seem to go down much in between changes. If we still have it by then it should be around $1,000-2,000. It's not so much major mechanical problems as mileage and general wear and tear on the thing.

pimento
08-01-2010, 12:54 AM
haha yeah that's what i meant, i dyslexia i have swear.

Dyslexics untie!