PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday at Auctions America by RM Fall Collector Car Auction

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah, this event's name is a mouthful. Basically it's a huge auction/swap meet that happens every year in Auburn, IN to go along with the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Festival. I went out to the big auction park today and took so pictures. Here they are.
Fall Collector Car Auction #1
1. 2005 Apollo
2. Auburn Speedster
3. Stutz Bearcat
4. 1981 Delorean DMC-12
5. Bentley Azure

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #2
EDIT:
1. '53 Buick Roadmaster
2. Lancia Astura
3. Buick Regal Pace Car (1 of 1 and I can see why they only made 1!)
4. '68 Lincoln Limo (For Fleet500)
5. Allard K1
6. Porsche 914

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #3
EDIT:
1. Austin A90 Atlantic
2. Mercedes Benz Convertible 220S Cabrio
3. Various Corvettes
4. Crosley
5. Kaiser Darrin
6. Unknown Duesenberg

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #4
EDIT:
1. Unknown Car
2. Ferrari 328/308
3. Ferrari 365 GT 2+2
4. Ferrari 328/308
5. Flajole Forerunner
6. Flajole Forerunner

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #5
1. Austin Healy 3000
2. Jag D-Type?
3. Jag
4. Jag C-Type (Phil Hill's)
5. Lambo Countach
6. Lambo Countach

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #6
EDIT:
1. Lambo Countach
2. Lincoln Continental Convertible
3. Van Blerk hood ornament
4. Cadillac hood ornament
5. Packard Retro-Replica
6. Two Packards

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #7
1. DeTamaso Mangusta
2. Pierce Arrow Bus
3. Van Blerk Roadster
4. Rolls Royce
5. Shelby Series 1
6. Porsche 356 Speedster

ScionDriver
09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Fall Collector Car Auction #8
EDIT:
1. Super Bee
2. 1920s Vauxhall
3. Dodge Viper
4. Pontiac Chieftan Wagon
5. & 6. Unknown Wooden Rolls Royce (sorry no overall shots of it)

csl177
09-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Looks like that was a fun lot to wander around in... nice photos. :)

Fall Collector Car Auction #2
1. Buick Roadmaster?
2. Lancia
5. Allard, no idea what model or if it's a replica or not
EDIT: Sorry, my bad... it's a '54 Skylark (shouda looked at the fullsize image), the Lancia is an Astura, and the Allard a K1.

Fall Collector Car Auction #3
1. Unknown Austin
2. Mercedes Benz Convertible unknown model
6. Unknown Duesenberg
The Austin is an A90 Atlantic, Mercedes 220S Cabrio, but the Duesenberg with the WoodLites is a stumper. :confused:

Fall Collector Car Auction #4
1. Unknown Car
2. Ferrari
3. Unidentified Ferrari
4. Unidentified Ferrari
5. Flajole
6. Flajole (No idea what it is)
Don't know what #1 is, but if it's a retro-build it's got nice proportions. Two of the Ferrari shots are 308/328, the red car is a 365GT 2+2, and I've seen the Flajole Forerunner before. Pretty neat, it was a personal custom by William Flajole who was a "styling consultant" for American Motors. See below...

Fall Collector Car Auction #6
3. Unknown creepy hood ornament
5. Packard
The hood ornament is on a Van Blerk roadster... another builder like Blastolene, but never as visually or mechanically interesting.
#5 is a retro-replica, sort of approximating a Darrin Victoria but not a real Packard.

Fall Collector Car Auction #7
1. DeTamaso Pantera
3. Car that that creepy hood ornament was on (if that helps ID it)
6. Porsche 356 Speedster
That's a Mangusta, not Pantera... the Van Blerk Roadsters never look right: wrong proportions for something likely built on an American LaFrance fire truck.:p And the Speedster is by Tupperware, not Porsche. Wheels and trim are giveaways. The Pierce bus is killer, though!

Fall Collector Car Auction #8
4. Unknown Station Wagon
5. & 6. Unknown Wooden Rolls Royce (sorry no overall shots of it)
That's a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain wagon... I recently designed a rod for a friend based on the Chevy 210 Sportsman version, with similar suede paint treatment. These make cool cruisers, lots of room, easy to get parts for and not expensive to buy. Sure would like to know more about the skiff-bodied Rolls. Was it an auction car or just in the lot? Time to go check RM's site...

ScionDriver
09-02-2010, 09:08 AM
That's a 1953 Pontiac Chieftain wagon... I recently designed a rod for a friend based on the Chevy 210 Sportsman version, with similar suede paint treatment. These make cool cruisers, lots of room, easy to get parts for and not expensive to buy. Sure would like to know more about the skiff-bodied Rolls. Was it an auction car or just in the lot? Time to go check RM's site...

Thanks for the help ID-ing. It's hard for me to know the difference between replicas and the real thing so thanks for that too. The skiff-bodied Rolls was in the Auction portion so it would be in the catalog. Quite a beauty IMO.

csl177
09-03-2010, 04:07 AM
My mistake: the oversized roadster is called "La Bestioni" and appears to be someone else's idea of what to do with old fire trucks. :rolleyes:
$100-150K? Good luck with that. Looking at the photos, the hub, cowl insignia and hood ornament are the best features. RM AUCTIONS (http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AF10&CarID=r497&fc=0#)

Went through the online catalogue but didn't find the Rolls or some of the other cars you posted, so perhaps they were late additions.
Will check post-auction for results and hope some photos are included.

RSOWNER
09-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Firstly thank you ScionDriver for posting your photos much appreciated.

The Austin is an A90 Atlantic, Mercedes 220S Cabrio, but the Duesenberg with the WoodLites is a stumper. :confused:

Same Duesenberg appeared at the 2010 Techno Classica event, it appears in UCP's own coverage of the event (here) (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/gallery/20186/Duesenberg.html) again no full title given but maybe Wouter could enlighten us. :)

The Rolls-Royce in post #7's ID according to the catalogue is a 1929 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Weymann Saloon, although to me it looks more like a Coupe.

Head over to RM's website and you can view all the lots (most have photos) so you can identify the rest of what you've seen / photographed. :)

On further research the "wooden Rolls" from post #8 i'm pretty sure is a one off "1933 Phantom II W.B. Carter Boat Tail Skiff" chassis: 184PY , you can find this car also in one of RM's Auctions "Sports & Classics of Monterey - August 2009". I'm sure if you checked it you'd be able to confirm if its the right one (hard to tell for sure from your 2 photos)

henk4
09-03-2010, 07:30 AM
We have no idea about the Duesenberg, it looked more like a rebadged Auburn. The Dutch license plate appears to have been deleted, as the number is not retrievable any more.
The Rolls is 184 PY, a shot here by yours truly at the 2009 RM Monterey auction.

csl177
09-03-2010, 08:04 AM
We have no idea about the Duesenberg, it looked more like a rebadged Auburn. The Dutch license plate appears to have been deleted, as the number is not retrievable any more.
The Rolls is 184 PY, a shot here by yours truly at the 2009 RM Monterey auction.

Thanks for that, Peiter... nice looking re-created skiff, lovely. Wish I had seen it. I agree on the Duesenberg, it does look like an Auburn.

RSOWNER
09-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the confirmation as to the identity of the "wooden Rolls" Peiter. i'd have posted a photo too had it not been for the fact all i have to hand are the hires shots from RM's website.

As for the Duesenberg (possible Auburn) we can only hope it went to auction and that RM post some info as to its origins.

henk4
09-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the confirmation as to the identity of the "wooden Rolls" Peiter. i'd have posted a photo too had it not been for the fact all i have to hand are the hires shots from RM's website.

As for the Duesenberg (possible Auburn) we can only hope it went to auction and that RM post some info as to its origins.

you are welcome, I'll ask RM's press department about the Duesenberg.