PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 599 SA Aperta

Dino Scuderia
09-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Wraps finally off the much teased 599 spider.

Press release:

A new V12 to celebrate Pininfarina's 80th anniversary

Maranello, 24th September 2010 – Ferrari is delighted to announce the presentation of the SA APERTA at the Paris International Motor Show 2010. This is a special series model of which a strictly limited number of just 80 will be built. All have already been sold. Ferrari chose to build 80 SA Apertas in celebration of Pininfarina's 80th anniversary. The SA nomenclature also pays homage to both Sergio and Andrea Pininfarina whose company and work have been linked to the most successful road-going cars ever built at Maranello.

The SA APERTA is a true roadster which allows its occupants to enjoy the superlative emotions afforded by our signature front-engined V12 architecture in a completely open-top setting. In fact, it has just a light soft top designed to be resorted to only if the weather gets particularly bad. A low-slung windscreen and the fact that it crouches lower to the ground than our other models lend the SA APERTA an exceptionally aerodynamic sleekness. Its profile arches back from the A-post to two aerodynamic fins beautifully integrating the two roll-bars which themselves cleverly mimic the outline of the seats.

The chassis has been redesigned to deliver a standard of stiffness comparable to that of a closed berlinetta and there is a negligible weight difference also, thanks to work done on the chassis structure.

Thanks to the 670 CV engine beneath its bonnet, the SA APERTA beautifully embodies the sporty spirit of the 599, incorporating Ferrari's most advanced technology to deliver absolutely benchmark performance and superb driving pleasure. Its interior too is stylishly sporty with particularly sophisticated materials, trim and colours used throughout. The virtually endless combinations available guarantee that each and every SA APERTA is absolutely unique.

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Blu Elettrico #1

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Blu Elettrico #2

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Giallo Tristrato #1

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Giallo Tristrato #2

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Nero Stellato #1

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Nero Stellato #2

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Rosso Dino #1

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Rosso Dino #2

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:11 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Rosso Fuoco #1

Ecnelis
09-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Ferrari SA Aperta Rosso Fuoco #2

Cobrafan427
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Ferrari proves once again that it's the epitome of beautiful cars. Interestingly enough orange is my fav. color but i'm not feelin it on this one, i like the yellow

Ferrer
09-24-2010, 04:22 PM
I know it's a Ferrari, and flappy paddle gearbox and that it isn't all that good looking.

But this car feels just right.

LHamilton_w
09-24-2010, 04:54 PM
All the colors look pretty good. Liking the car so far

NicFromLA
09-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow, 80 cars is a seriously limited run. Looks nice. I wonder how much it's going to be?

wwgkd
09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
They're actually naming the car the SA Aperta? Love the car, retarded name.

csl177
09-24-2010, 09:35 PM
They're actually naming the car the SA Aperta? Love the car, retarded name.

I don't get it either. Wingless arthropods or Greek city? :confused: From Wikipedia...

Aptera is an obsolete taxonomic category, which included the Apterygota along with various other wingless arthropods.

Aptera may also refer to:

Aptera, Greece, the city in Crete
Aptera Motors, an automobile company producing the Aptera 2e
Aptera 2 Series, a concept car developed by the automobile company Aptera Motors
Aptera (genus), a genus of cockroaches
Aptera also serves as a specific epithet in the names of various species:

Apteromantis aptera, a species of praying mantis, endemic to the Iberian Peninsula
Parashorea aptera, a species of plant in the Dipterocarpaceae family, endemic to Indonesia
Hopea aptera, a species of plant in the Dipterocarpaceae family, endemic to Papua New Guinea
Inga aptera, a species of legume in the Fabaceae family, found only in Brazil

Kitdy
09-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Aperta = open in Italian. I checked before I read your post actually.

You had aptera, which is something different altogether.

Google Translate is your friend.

csl177
09-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Oy. NOW comes the dylexsia. :o

LeonOfTheDead
09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow, 80 cars is a seriously limited run. Looks nice. I wonder how much it's going to be?

As I wrote in the past (say when this car was just a rumor), the 599's chassis isn't very capable without the roof. It won't bend like a cheese cake under the sun, but the possible solution to maintain its performance intact or as good as possible were as simple as on other cars, like the 550/575.
Hence it was clear since the beginning of the 599 project that any sort of open top variant would have required a lot of manual works on the chassis or expensive solutions in general to make it worth the hassle. Apparently they never solved the problem.
When speaking with my friend about the possible production run for such a model, he thought that something in the 300/400 range was still possible, albeit he recognized he didn't really work on the 599's chassis enough to be so sure.

Now I'd dare to say the could have built more than 80 cars especially considering the GTO's success, which could have been sold for a higher price or in many more units (which is what dealers were also asking at first).
On the other hand the price of this car plus this technical difficulty could explain the 80 figure, without considering Pininfarina's anniversary and the fact that from now on the styling division of Ferrari is much larger than before because of what happened/is happening over Pininfarina.

That said for some reason I think the front bonnet needs a different design on this car. It now looks a bit too flat and wide, and the central bulge seems quite squashed now. Don't know specifically why, but it needs something more aggressive, I think.

wwgkd
09-26-2010, 08:15 PM
Aperta = open in Italian. I checked before I read your post actually.

You had aptera, which is something different altogether.

Google Translate is your friend.

Still. Even not being named after a cockroach it's strange. It's like the mustang convertable being named the HF Open, instead of Mustang Convertible. I could see the 599 Aperta, but this doesn't work for me.

f6fhellcat13
09-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Well the Italians think that they can get away with just naming things after mundane aspects of the car's design; Quattroporte being the worst offender by a country mile, though.

Kitdy
09-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Still. Even not being named after a cockroach it's strange. It's like the mustang convertable being named the HF Open, instead of Mustang Convertible. I could see the 599 Aperta, but this doesn't work for me.

The car should have been called 599 Fiorano Spyder or 599 Spyder.