PDA

View Full Version : Audi R18

RacingManiac
12-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Mulsanne's Corner News, November/December 2010 (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov10.html)

It looks like a spaceship, or a Russian submarine...can't decide yet...

I think they are addressing the need for a coupe and a tank at the same time...

Features to note, 3.7 Liter TDI V6, ~550bhp. Bespoke gearbox. 4 "rear" tire configuration(a la ARX-02a).

LHamilton_w
12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
This is definitely a radical step for Audi, switching to a closed top when all of their winning cars have been open tops. Now the question is whether this radical step will keep Audi at the top or if they will begin to face fiercer competition.

RacingManiac
12-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I think despite 2010's Le Mans result, it was safe to say that they were not on top anymore. They have not had the faster car since 2007....

The 2011 car will essentially be a new page for everyone, so it'll be interesting to see who gets it right...

Matra et Alpine
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Spot the difference...
Audi R18
http://www.jwbuchanan.f2s.com/images/Cylon.jpg

Cylon Raider
http://www.jwbuchanan.f2s.com/images/R18.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
12-13-2010, 02:22 PM
LEDs, and there are less Audis.

Ferrer
12-14-2010, 12:01 AM
The spaceship handles better.

RacingManiac
12-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Audi gets better gas mileage...

Dino Scuderia
12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
I like the Russian sub reference.:D

So with the wider front tires... does this mean Audi cares, this time, that the car performs on tracks other than La Sarthe?

henk4
12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Audi gets better gas mileage...

if it can operate in vacuum too, may be....

RacingManiac
12-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I like the Russian sub reference.:D

So with the wider front tires... does this mean Audi cares, this time, that the car performs on tracks other than La Sarthe?

You saw the Russian sub too? :D

I think Wirth was smart in doing that on the Acura, but they weren't throwing their weight around and couldn't get Michelin to make a tire for them. But if Audi and Peugeot are both interested(as mentioned by a guy I know who works at Wirth), that means they probably have proper "rear" tire for the front now...

csl177
12-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Up periscope.

Dino Scuderia
03-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Just me or did it get even funkier?

RacingManiac
03-23-2011, 06:41 PM
According Mulsannes corner they changed the fin, and the bodywork between the nose and the fenders....

Looks like they added some louvers on the engine cover and interesting shot of the tire temp sensors...

csl177
03-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Dino, where'd you find those Sebring photos, was it testing there after the race? While the old car ran Sebring last week, the R18 was at Homestead testing. Herr Joest reportedly made a trip to see how things were going before the 12 hour started.

RacingManiac
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah its testing there for 4 days this week......I think Audi have released some official photo.

Mulsannes's Corner has an update in the news...

Wouter Melissen
03-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Where are the Shell stickers? I only see Castrol stickers ...

Dino Scuderia
03-24-2011, 03:58 AM
Dino, where'd you find those Sebring photos, was it testing there after the race? While the old car ran Sebring last week, the R18 was at Homestead testing. Herr Joest reportedly made a trip to see how things were going before the 12 hour started.

Flickr: Audi USA's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/audiusa/)

Dino Scuderia
03-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Where are the Shell stickers? I only see Castrol stickers ...

Shell apparently hasn't been on any Audi's since end of 2009.

RacingManiac
03-24-2011, 05:45 AM
Shell apparently hasn't been on any Audi's since end of 2009.

Pretty sure Dr. Ullrich on Windtunnel still mentioned their name. Maybe they are using Castrol lubricant but Shell Diesel? Shell was the supplier for their GTL semi-renewable diesel right?

Dino Scuderia
03-24-2011, 05:48 AM
Pretty sure Dr. Ullrich on Windtunnel still mentioned their name. Maybe they are using Castrol lubricant but Shell Diesel? Shell was the supplier for their GTL semi-renewable diesel right?

I think they and Pug have to use Shell fuel which is what those engines were developed to burn.

henk4
03-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I think they and Pug have to use Shell fuel which is what those engines were developed to burn.

I think Peugeot is using Total, which is prominently shown on their cars....

Dino Scuderia
03-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Indeed they are main partners since 1995.

Chernaudi
03-24-2011, 06:08 AM
The only ACO approved diesel fuel is Shell, which is also where the ACO gets their gasoline (which I believe is actually roughly equivalant to the ALMS' E10) from. The fuel has to be spec, just like how in NASCAR Sunoco E15 is the spec fuel and Goodyear sells spec tires, spec meaning "single supplier" in this case.

IMSA only uses Shell diesel as well, while VP Racing sells the E10 and E85 that ALMS teams use. Of note is that E85 currently isn't approved for non-ALMS events by the ACO.

And having Castrol on the cars allows Audi to advertize a British Petrolium product without actually having BP as a sponsor--Dyson did that in the ALMS last year. Either that, or Shell has bought Castrol, which I don't think has happened.

henk4
03-24-2011, 06:24 AM
regarding the fuel, the ACO regs state that ACO will supply ONE type of fuel, (then gives specs) and finally the fuel has to be available in the market.
Apparently ACO has a contract with Shell to supply fuel and therefore all cars have to run the same brand. (as the fuel is being supplied by ACO)
Also it seems that Shell is not allowed (?) to advertise that they are the selected brand, otherwise the Total people might really become angry.

Wouter Melissen
03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
Yes but Shell previously was one of Audi's major sponsors. That's why their absence struck me as odd.

Chernaudi
03-24-2011, 08:42 AM
regarding the fuel, the ACO regs state that ACO will supply ONE type of fuel, (then gives specs) and finally the fuel has to be available in the market.
Apparently ACO has a contract with Shell to supply fuel and therefore all cars have to run the same brand. (as the fuel is being supplied by ACO)
Also it seems that Shell is not allowed (?) to advertise that they are the selected brand, otherwise the Total people might really become angry.

And that's what I'm getting at: The ACO approves the fuel, and designate the supplier (Shell in their case). Only one supplier at a time for the fuel. The only sport I can think of where there isn't a single fuel supplier (at least for a given type of fuel) is F1, and I'd even rate that as questionable (there may be various suppliers, but the FIA and the teams come up with a common formula).

And of course, the fact that Shell no longer is a major sponsor for Audi means that Shell has decided that sponsoring a certian Mr. Penske (who ironically was touted as helping bring Audi back to the ALMS for this season) and his NASCAR and Indy Car teams probably says something about Shell's advertizing priorities.

And because of the NASCAR Viceroy Rule, Shell can only advertize their lubricants in NASCAR because Sunoco (as well as Unocal in the past) is the offical fuel. And of course, it seems that Shell and the ACO have a similar agreement--(except that) Shell can't openly advertize that their the offical fuel supplier to the ACO, and Castrol/BP and Total can only advertize their lubricants on the Audi and Pug race cars (hence why it says "Castrol Edge" on the Audi R18s and R15s at Sebring--Castrol Edge is engine oil).

IndianDrives
03-25-2011, 05:34 AM
These are some more specifications :
* Cylinders: 6.
* Displacement: 3600 cc.
* Valves: 24 valves.
* Horsepower: 550 bhp.
* Fuel Feed: Fuel Injected.
* Gears: 6.