PDA

View Full Version : For those who rebuild/paint/restore

whiteballz
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I have been considering my options for my next car fairly extensively this past 10 months.

I've gone one way then the other in regards to what I want, how I want it.

I've been feeling fairly.. "domestic" lately, in the way that I do not have any trade skills and my entire life revolves around computers (Work in IT and spend my time gaming or taking/editing photos and videos).

So After pin pointing down the realisation that I'm feeling this way due to lack of activity in the manly section of my life I've started thinking seriously about buying a car and doing a few things myself.

Initially the basic jist is -

~ Strip the interior (only dash and maybe trans tunnel cover left in)
~ Remove the sound deadener
~ Straighten out and prepare the body for paint
~ Complete respray inside and outside (will do engine bay at a later point)
~ Flock dash in suede or cover in suitable material
~ Cut out any weight not needed (audio etc)
~ Replace anything that requires it (rubber seals etc)

I would be aiming to get this car to a level that is mostly a street legal(ish) track/drift car. I wouldn't be touching the engine initially until I could afford to do a swap for something more potent than the stock unit - at which point I would paint the engine bay the same ludicrous colour as the roll cage.

Essentially I've loved the Mk3 Supra's for a good few years and they are currently at a price point I find entirely agreeable. I'm not completely new to modifying and painting etc, but certainly haven't taken on anything close to this scale before.

What has been your experience? Have you enjoyed it? Would you do it again?

TL DR: Should I buy a car and strip it for enjoyment and skill building?

Images for reference -

Interior to be similar to :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/minitruckin/NewInterior2.jpg

csl177
01-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Do it because you can, and enjoy it. Adding extra, or improving existing skills is part of the side benefits.

Having restored a couple of dozen cars so far (working on 3 at the moment), every one brought some new pleasure. Either in research or fabrication, or the supreme enjoyment of driving the things once they're finished. A custom Supra sounds cool, feelin' your inner bosozoku?
Go for it.

henk4
01-06-2011, 01:03 AM
somethings tells me that the title should be "for those WHO paint"....:)

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 01:14 AM
feelin' your inner bosozoku?

Actually No, The style I'm more aiming for is commonly called USDM, or SoCal to be specific - but with my own twist.

Somethings tells me that the title should be "for those WHO paint.

Not quite sure I understand what you mean?

2ndclasscitizen
01-06-2011, 01:21 AM

You are being corrected on your grammar you heathen westie.

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 01:23 AM
Sorry you Newtown hipster.

henk4
01-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Actually No, The style I'm more aiming for is commonly called USDM, or SoCal to be specific - but with my own twist.

I could change the thread title for you if you would wish so.;)

Edit: Just did, let's get back on topic.

clutch-monkey
01-06-2011, 01:31 AM
i'm redoing my interior ballz.. seems pretty achievable, your biggest challenge will be making the plastic japanese dash of the era look good.

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 03:28 AM
Link to big to post inline here - But this is the 2nd option other than suede/alcantara for the dash.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk214/whiteballz/5027460461_5cf0118e9f_b.jpg

csl177
01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Just pulling your leg, WB... loosely speaking you're going outlaw which I completely grock. Digging that MacDonald tartan interior,
looks bitchin'. Since yer in OZ, how about something cultural like Aboriginal art fabric? You could even do your own on alcantara...

fpv_gtho
01-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Its great if youve got the time/motivation and dont need the car on the road.

Of course theres issues though. When i resprayed the Pulsar, i still needed the car driveable so until i put on a full paint of coat i had to drive around first with spots of primer all over the car and then with primered bumpers. With my EB its taking me forever, having to fight either a major lack of motivation, available help with some of the bigger jobs needing done or having the space to actually do something. Just this past week i only just pulled out the K frame from my parts car and i can finally send that off to the scrapyard now, and ive had the EB for almost 2 years now, and its been off the road for over a year and a half.

I'd still do it all again, but i'd probably think about it alot more before doing anything. Theres been alot of things for me that i either havent realised need doing in putting a V8 into a car previously occupied by an I6, or how much money gets spent when you pick up a dozen things, one by one, all around the $300 mark.

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your input FPV,

I've got a reliable daily, So I'm still good for transport (where I live now I could easily survivie on public transport)

I've got plenty of room for stripping and painting at my parents place (3/4's an acre -Though I should check its OK first :D)

I wont be doing anything nearly as complex as an engine swap in the back yard, I'd be just doing the body and suspension/brakes/interior. Once I grow bored of the standard engine (if I go ahead with my supra idea) I'll have saved up enough to straight out pay someone to drop a 2JZ in for me. At which point I'd get them to smooth the engine bay & paint it in whatever colour I desire.

2ndclasscitizen
01-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Link to big to post inline here - But this is the 2nd option other than suede/alcantara for the dash.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk214/whiteballz/5027460461_5cf0118e9f_b.jpg

This should be the first option, but like GTi seats.

johnnynumfiv
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Not to be a debbie downer, but don't expect great results out of your first paint job and other stuff. I've seen a lot of projects abandoned and left for dead because of this. Don't let it happen to you.

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Input from pro's is always welcome.

Its not my first paintjob, I've done parts before but never an entire car - If I get in trouble I've got friends online who'll jump in to help out for a case or three.

I think it'll be OK, I've been looking at the roll on auto paints. Looks like a boon.

Haven't decided how I'll be painting it yet though.

Commodore GS/E
01-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Purple murple.

whiteballz
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Well this has sort of snowballed - I've found a brilliant start point.
This is for sale up near clutch - and well within reach of my budget.

Images too big to inline.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010543.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010546.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg294/2JZR31/P1010547.jpg

Which is great, And its already got a 1JZ-GTE + R154 manual box in, So thats something I don't have to worry about (which is AWESOME).

LotusLocost
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Aiming for this?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=210067&stc=1&d=1157534345

Just had to do it:D

Do it if you have money,time and facilities to do so, it's fun and exciting and gives you a deeper understanding of how your car is put together.. which also makes it easier to rebuild it when you trash it on the track :) But always remember, rebuilds tend to "take off" when you have just started, ending up way above budget. I find that part interesting too, cause you will end up a place you never dreamt about when you first bought the car!

Good luck!

csl177
01-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Werd. Lil' brah got his nitrous on.

clutch-monkey
01-09-2011, 03:21 PM
But always remember, rebuilds tend to "take off" when you have just started, ending up way above budget.

agreed, your starting budget/estimate is never ever correct haha

this is what i'm currently aiming for with my interior, regarding door panels/dash cage etc:

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Well I've discussed the plan with a fair few people. The missus isn't wild about a project car, but assuming the maroon supra above is mechanically sound then we've sort of agreed that I could just use it as a daily and do the paint etc at a later date.

And RE the 2J swap - The maroon one above currently has a 1JZ-GTE (which in stock configuration has 210KW) which is heaps of power.

pimento
01-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Go for it! If it's all good then you get a fun project, if it fails miserably we all get to laugh at you (more)! It's win-win!

csl177
01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
An outlaw Supra would be the shit, 'Balls. Do it Oz style... a Toyota with P-car RS + aboriginal vibe = win. Has anyone else done it?

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 08:54 PM
No, Because anyone with Aboriginal blood would wreck the car for being disrespectful.

That and I don't think any form of "art" is acceptable on cars.

EDIT: Clutch - Exactly the same sort of look I'd be going for.
Love the bright green door pull from image #1. I'd do that but bright red.

csl177
01-09-2011, 09:25 PM
No, Because anyone with Aboriginal blood would wreck the car for being disrespectful.

That and I don't think any form of "art" is acceptable on cars.

EDIT: Clutch - Exactly the same sort of look I'd be going for.
Love the bright green door pull from image #1. I'd do that but bright red.

That's a shame, could make for an impressive interior. Has the guy with the aboriginal art on his 911 Targa had problems? I thought that was painted by a well-known native artist. Cars melding performance with a personal aesthetic can transcend popular images about motorsport, but it's your project. Still, loving the notion of an outlaw Supra.

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Honestly I'm sure no one would harm the car due to the paint, but I just don't think Aboriginal art is aesthetically pleasing.

csl177
01-09-2011, 09:46 PM
I meant interior materials, not paint... but no matter. Build what you like and enjoy. :)
What do you have in mind for wheels? Old-school Watanabes or more modern in size & style?

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I've put little effort into thinking about wheels..

Basically my thoughts are smallish diameter (17" max) and wide as practicable. So maybe 9.5 or 10 wide.

clutch-monkey
01-09-2011, 09:53 PM
probably get stabbed by some abo's if you make it an aboriginal tribal theme.
for true aboriginal theme maybe put bumper sticker "got a dollah k*nt"

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
probably get stabbed by some abo's if you make it an aboriginal tribal theme.
for true aboriginal theme maybe put bumper sticker "got a dollah k*nt"

Bumper sticker "Got petrol?"

csl177
01-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Flocked dashes look right, though black crinkle paint on sheetmetal does too.

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 10:33 PM
A photo for some inspiration

http://i28.tinypic.com/2uitziw.jpg

clutch-monkey
01-09-2011, 10:38 PM
you won't be able to go that low in western sydney though. it's a good clean look otherwise!

whiteballz
01-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Well no. For daily use it would be a little higher. For the JDM meetups and other events I'd wind down the coils.

pimento
01-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I think I had one of them in Forza 2 with nearly 1000bhp and flame decals. It was undrivable, but hilarious.. you could do that! :p