PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2

Matra et Alpine
05-25-2004, 02:11 PM
OK, you've had your timecard marked ( and you've chekced it matches your time ) and marshal has handed you your next route card ......

TC1 -> TC2, 16 mins, 8 miles, IGR
Pass these junctions in order
<<tulip diagrams attached>>
TC2 is at 511757 SSE

Map at http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26968 still OK.

Mustang
05-25-2004, 02:13 PM
OK, you've had your timecard marked ( and you've chekced it matches your time ) and marshal has handed you your next route card ......

TC1 -> TC2, 16 mins, 8 miles, IGR
Pass these junctions in order
<<tulip diagrams attached>>
TC2 is at 511757 SSE

Map at http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26968 still OK.

YAY lets get started :D

Mustang
05-26-2004, 02:05 AM
Here we are i think this is the finished map :D (well atleast i hope so ;p)

Mustang
05-26-2004, 02:12 AM
I did this on photoshop this time becasue i thaught that it would be easier, that is why the merker is more accurate accept for in the TC's ;)

Matra et Alpine
05-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Here's the result.

For those who may have had difficulty, remember that the initial instructions were IGR - Ignore Gated Roads. There were lots of white roads meeting our main route and all the gated ones are NOT tulip'ed. If you got confused by trying to count a gated road -- lesson learned :)

Also, note the added commentary on the map.

When reading the route to the driver you won't always have time to check with the instructions, it will be hard enough keeping the map in the light :)

So, any complex junctions which may need explanation - mark them ( Hard Right). Note the added lines on the rhs at the white loop at Ballencrief Farm to make sure the correct route to be taken. Without these added marks it's easy to call the wrong route to the driver.

You HAVE to transfer all the info onto the map to make the RIGHT decision, at speed, in the dark. So I've made sure I don't get confused at the complex junction by adding a NO LOOP comment, so making sure I call the straghtest way across and through that section.

Also mark NAMs CLEARLY. A NAM means basically go the long way round, but until you come across the junction it's not always clear the route required. In this cases there was a triangle at the junction so rather than just going right, it was necessary to go left round the triangle and out again. Some NAMs you can work out from the OS map, otheres you can't :(

And those exclamation marks the organisers kindly put on a tulip. Try to read from the map what the danger might be - I highlighted quarry, risk of long drops, uneven roads and mud. Transferring that info to the map means I can call it cleanly when we get to it - and get my head UP OUT OF THE MAP at the time to try to assist the driver in evaluating the danger. Again at that point I added extra lines to ensure I would read the right directions amidst all the other need to look for danger. It is VERY easy to call it wrong.

Especially when coming down the map - something VERY important we will come to in the skills section when we start covering communicating with the driver.

So, hopefuly anyone trying it got the route or close to it.

See if you think the added information in the attached shows value and will be something for you to consider as well for next stage....

( Don't put TOO much on a map or it will cause clutter and just confuse. See the skills section on Marking the Map for guidelines )

Matra et Alpine
05-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Here we are i think this is the finished map :D (well atleast i hope so ;p)
There would almost certainly have been a route board in the white road at ballencrief farm and you've not marked that as the route to take. So you would have incurred time penalty for that. As it involved 3 road junctions they might even have put 2 boards in there - bang goes 20 seconds :)
See the 'answer' for the correct route and how to mark to make sure no errors in reading ( can't help with errors in working out the route I'm afraid, that'll just be practise :) )

Mustang
05-27-2004, 01:13 AM
There would almost certainly have been a route board in the white road at ballencrief farm and you've not marked that as the route to take. So you would have incurred time penalty for that. As it involved 3 road junctions they might even have put 2 boards in there - bang goes 20 seconds :)
See the 'answer' for the correct route and how to mark to make sure no errors in reading ( can't help with errors in working out the route I'm afraid, that'll just be practise :) )

Dam i was nearly there, what went wrong with that was i worked it out to the round about junctionthe night before and then realised that i needed to add those 3 corners in the next morning, and guess what i forgot and carried on from where i was :( oh well better luck to me on the next stage :)

Blue Supra
10-05-2004, 01:22 AM
OK so heres my Stage 2 submission...

Blue Supra
10-05-2004, 01:28 AM
oops i forgot to not draw on the actual road...:o
i wont do it next time!:)

Mustang
10-05-2004, 09:11 AM
well done Blue and welcome to the very select part of the forums :)

Matra et Alpine
10-05-2004, 09:27 AM
oops i forgot to not draw on the actual road...:o
i wont do it next time!:)
no problem.
You want to go back and read http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72566&postcount=5 whre I explain the need to makr Not-As-Map and warnings and other things which will make it safer/faster/more accurate whilst reading instructions to the driver.
But a well done on the route.

Mustang
10-05-2004, 09:50 AM
no problem.
You want to go back and read http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72566&postcount=5 whre I explain the need to makr Not-As-Map and warnings and other things which will make it safer/faster/more accurate whilst reading instructions to the driver.
But a well done on the route.

stage 10 ? or are you still to busy ?