PDA

View Full Version : How effective is the 300zx HICAS system?

Airthrow
05-25-2004, 04:41 PM
As I understand it this all-wheel steering system adjusts the rear wheel between one and two degrees, and depending on the speed will either steer with the front wheels, or counter-steer.

1) What are the rules for when the system counter-steers, does nothing, or steers with the front wheels?

2) Does it make a difference in performance? How much?

3) How many degrees do other all wheel steering systems move the rear tires?

Thanks for any info.

MikeMcLarenF1
05-25-2004, 05:18 PM
I dunno about the HICAS system, since I dont even know about it, but i know for the some of the older preludes, the 94's(?) had this 4WS system.

basically, under a certain speed (lets say 5-10km/h) the wheels will either remain straight, or steer opposite to the front wheels for easier maneuverbility, and at speeds HIGHER than that, the rear wheels will turn in the same direction of the front wheels, to promote stability. the rear wheel's turning angle is determined by a function of the front steer angle and the car's speed.

Airthrow
05-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info. The F1 also has a 4ws system right? Do you happen to know how many degrees it can move?

I just have to wonder how much difference 2 degrees steering or counter-steering the rear wheels could make, especially in day driving 300zx situations.

Is it possible to turn HICAS off? Is the difference noticeable?

cp01ae
05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm sure the F1 doesn't have 4 wheel steering, it'd be illegal in racing to the best of my knowledge.

MikeMcLarenF1
05-26-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm sure the F1 doesn't..... (and if ur referring to the McLarenF1 or the Formula-1 race car the answer applies to both)

4WS imo is a Drivers aid, just like traction control. If you REALLY CAN handle the car, you can drive faster if turn the aid off.

drakkie
05-26-2004, 10:57 AM
i remember , that some old Mazda had it.I think it was the 6 series(years ago)

Suka
05-26-2004, 12:37 PM
I have no idea about this system but it sounds like a laugh, you could imagine the car just going sideways between lanes!

EvilPaladin
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Most ice-racing cars got this system.

MikeMcLarenF1
05-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Most ice-racing cars got this system.
wow really? cool! Neva knew that.... i guess i learn sumthin new everyday :)

Gabman
05-27-2004, 05:13 AM
i remember , that some old Mazda had it.I think it was the 6 series(years ago)
Actually yesterday I parked next to a Mazda 323F which had a decal which said 4WS.

*Went to look for my dad's old car magazines*

Aha! "BILEN: Motor og Sport" issue 11 1987 contains an article about the 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0i-16 4WS. There is a picture of the car turning all four wheels... Looks kinda wierd!

sandwich
05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
the simplest system works with an elliptical steering column. The prelude has this system, and a few mazdas experimented with it. At only a few degrees of turn, the wheels go the same direction as the front (to a degree). At higher angles of turn, the wheels remain straight. At extreme angles, the rear wheels go opposite of the fronts. This allows smaller turning radii at lower speeds, normal handling for regular driving, and straight lane changes at high speeds. This is all relative to how much you turn the wheel, however.

I think the super-hicas in the skyline (was it even in the 300zx?) was completely computer controlled, and basically set the car into a controlled drift automatically, allowing for (better/showier/ricier) cornering. Does it work? I think so...but then again, it adds so much weight to the car that it loses something...

Airthrow
05-27-2004, 12:36 PM
The 300zx has a HICAS system according to this FAQ:
http://z31.com/nfaq/faqview.php?ParentID=7#33

Lagonda
06-10-2004, 06:34 AM
I think it's called HICAS in Skylines. Not in 300ZX, but is possible that these 300ZX's do have such a system.

megotmea7
06-10-2004, 02:04 PM
the 300zx's had active HICAS, the GT-R skylines had something called super HICAS which from what ive heard is a overtechnical computer controlled version fo the former, weather it is any better than the HICAS system ill let you knwo when i can jump seat to seat ;). FD's had passive rear wheel steering which allowed a bit of toe out on the outsie wheel and a little toe in on the rear wheel in extreme cornering thru the use of softer bushings engineered into teh rear suspention, most hard core auto crossers and road racers opt of solid toe links as these bushing tend to wear out in hard driving and cause some unpredictability in the car(back end starts coming around a little faster than you were expecting but there is no loss of traction:confused: ) a little unsettling on the race track :)

Airthrow
06-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I think it's called HICAS in Skylines. Not in 300ZX, but is possible that these 300ZX's do have such a system.

Nissan calls their four wheel steering HICAS in the 300zx and also the 240sx.

Lagonda
06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Nissan calls their four wheel steering HICAS in the 300zx and also the 240sx.

OK :)