PDA

View Full Version : Global Architectures

fpv_gtho
05-26-2004, 04:34 AM
It seems the biggest trend lately with manufacturers is to make a common architecture that many cars can be built from. Audi and VW have for a while been sharing platforms, and now GM has major plans to setup global architectures based on the Caddy XLR, CTS, STS; Holden VE Commodore; Chev Trailblazer; Opel Astra, Opel Corsa/Barina and i think theres a couple more. Ford it seems also wants to do the same and already has based the latest Volvo S40/V50 and 2nd generation Focus off the Mazda3, but actually had all 3 parties develop different items (Volvo of course developed the safety items). The North American market will soon get a replacement for the Taurus or similar sized car based off the Mazda6.

What does everyone think of these ideas? I personally think that it can cut alot of costs, but also take alot of individuality away from the cars. But still saying that, i would love for Ford to include the 2007 Falcon into their global architecture plans, and perhaps the North American market could get a new Crown Victoria thats essentially Falcon underneath, or perhaps even better they can use the Falcon nameplate as well. The European markets wouldnt want to be left out either, but the Falcon can't get away with being a family car in Europe like it can here and in the US because of the high price of fuel in Europe, so perhaps only the sporty XR and FPV models would be sold there or the underpinnings can be used for a similar product. Any thoughts?

whiteballz
05-26-2004, 04:53 AM
as you said, it will cut costs, and ultimately that is what makers, on the whole, want, it may take away individuality, but if you had a cross breed of volvo's saftey and falcons speed (i know they are not sharing exact platforms) that would be a pretty sweet ride...

for every minus there is a plus.

digitalcraft
05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Ford has been doing this forever. Speaking of falcons, the first mustang was off a falcon base. The Mustang II off a Pinto base, and then until well.. the 2005 one, it's been off the 'fox' platform. In 80 and 82 the thunderbird and mercury cougar also used the fox platform. And of course, so did the capri, since it was basically a mustang :P The Cougar in fact, has always been on other platforms, whether it was the thunderbird, or the mystique/mondeo.

Anways, I'll stop rambling, you get the idea ;)

MrVette83
05-26-2004, 12:53 PM
and now GM has major plans to setup global architectures based on the Caddy XLR

What other cars is GM planning on building off the C6/XLR Chassis? I haven't heard of any, but that certainly doesn't mean there aren't.

You also stated the Chevy Trailblazer Chassis, the upcoming Saab 9 7x or whatever it is to be called will bring the total number of variants of that chassis to 6:

Oldsmobile Bravada
Chevrolet Trailblazer
GMC Envoy
Buick Raneir
Isuzu Ascender
Saab 9-7x

Granted the Olds is off the market now I think that this is a pretty good idea, none of them look EXACTLY alike either inside or out, sure, if you look you can find similarities but in short, this offers the same vehicle to several different types of buyer. Not a bad move IMO as long as they do it well, if the platform sharing is nothing more than taking say a Ford badge off and placing a Mercury one in place(Crown Vic and Grand Marquis) I'm not very much for it, but when done correctly it's ok.

fpv_gtho
05-27-2004, 03:00 AM
well i think GM want the corvette/SLR platform to head the sports cars whilst the smaller platform that the pontiac solstice and Chev Nova concept was based off to start it. As to what they would further build off the C6 platform, who really knows, perhaps its to make it cheaper to produce or maybe to make a Pontiac version....