PDA

View Full Version : Restoring A Bicycle

Fleet 500
03-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I have decided to restore a bicycle I've owned since about 1974. It is a "dirt bike" (that was the popular phrase for it back in the '70s).

Someone gave me a Schwinn frame back then and I added the parts.

I stopped riding it over 10 years ago because I was riding other bicycles; a 12-speed, a mountain bike and the reproduction Stingray I currently ride.

Unfortunately, the dirt bike has been in the backyard, exposed to the weather so it has quite a bit of rust. I am going to replace the entire rear rim because it's missing some spokes any way. Maybe the front rim, too.
The bike will be repainted black.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for restoring a bike?

Here are some photos of it. The first one is from the mid-'80s when it was still being used frequently and the other pics show it in its current condition.

MilesR
03-20-2011, 05:37 AM
It depends upon what you want to achieve. If you want to return it to a "showroom" condition, you will probably need to replace several parts outright. I assume that originality is a relative non-issue, if you built it from non-original parts in the first place. You will probably be able to replace things like wheels, handlebar, stem, stand etc. with new parts, as fairly cheap, modern parts are still made to similar designs. Likewise, the rusted bolts and screws probably need replacing. If the original tyres are still in serviceable condition, they can probably be kept. They may not be dependable for regular use, though. The frame and fork are the bits that cannot be replaced so easily. Take care with the paint job. Avoid getting paint in the screw threads and bearing surfaces, in the bottom bracket, for example, as that may make reassembly tricky. Also, keep a sharp look-out for rust or cracks that have penetrated the frame and fork to any significant depth, as they could be a safety issue. I imagine that a replacement seat and rear mud guard might also be tricky to find. On the other hand, if you just want it to be rideable, the appearance will matter less. In this case, parts with surface rust, like the rear rim and stem, look like they are in a serviceable condition. Spokes are fairly easy to replace, if you have the right tool and a bit of mechanical sense. Your local bike shop should be able to measure your spokes, and get you some suitable replacements, for a dollar or two each. It would be tempting to repair the original rear wheel, rather than replace it, as the hub and rim still look good, and the internals of those rear hubs tend to last quite a long time. The front wheel looks worse than the rear. The rim and hub may be usable, if slightly ugly, but I have come across spokes that break under little or no load, due to rust. If you want to re-use it, I would suggest checking them, and replacing any that are significantly eaten away. However, as mentioned, it depends on whether you want showroom looks or utility, and also upon how much time and effort you want to take. It looks as though you have picked a fairly easy subject for restoration - no cables, brake calipers, derailleurs, levers or selectors to worry about. Good luck.

johnnynumfiv
03-20-2011, 06:01 AM
I would strip the bike and get it sandblasted to remove all the old paint. Be sure to mask off the areas you don't want blasted with duct tape or some other sturdy tape. Then if you want to do a cheap paint job, hit the frame with a self etching primer to bite into the metal, then a fill primer. After that you have a ton of options. I did my cousins bike with a spray can of burnt orange mopar touch up paint. I would find a color you like on a car and get some touch up paint in a spray can. It looks awesome, since it's basecoat it has the matte look to it. But if you want it shiny, you can put a clear over the basecoat. Or you can just spray it with normal spray paint.

Fleet 500
03-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, Miles and Johnny.

I am probably just going to replace both front and rear rims. Those shouldn't cost much for that bike. The banana seats are kind of easy to find on eBay; the part I am having trouble finding are the rear seat struts. I am looking for the ones with the flat, not round, ends. But I can just use the ones I have for now.

Yes, originality is not a concern; I am just going to bring it to working condition. It should be easy to restore since it is a simple bicycle; single-speed, for instance.

I will check with a local bike shop to see if they know a place which will sandblast the frame. I will paint it myself, probably with normal spray paint and if it doesn't look good with that, then I will use some other type of paint.

Matra et Alpine
03-20-2011, 03:42 PM
^ Woudl recommend getting the frame powder coated by a competent shop and they can usually blast it too.
MUCH better and durable finish.

johnnynumfiv
03-20-2011, 04:03 PM
The guy in our shop that does the bikes says that people are starting to go away from powdercoating frames. He said it's due to when the powdercoating does get scuffed or damaged there isn't much you can do about it other than getting it blasted and powdercoated again.

Fleet 500
03-20-2011, 08:53 PM
I am going to have the frame professionally treated. I was thinking of sanding down myself but that would take a long time and it probably wouldn't be as effective.

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 03:19 AM
Intrigued, j, mate restores bikes including some classic Scottish road race frames and I know that you cant have anyone do the powdercoating as it has to be thin enough and the right material/bake temp to stay flexible enough for frame-flex not to crack it and he's no issues with later touch up scratches with matched paint. I've seen some of the Flying Scot bikes he's done and there was no loss of detail in the lugs :)
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/flscot638.JPG

hmmm, his last restoration was now about 8 years ago I've realised. I wonder if modern health and safety issues may have altered the constituency of the powder and application that may make it less desirable now. Will ask him next time I see him :)

johnnynumfiv
03-21-2011, 04:23 AM
These are Bimotas, MV Agustas, Nortons, and BMWs. :p I don't know if the stresses on a motorcycle frame make it so powder coating is less desired. But we are more concerned with the cosmetic factor with paint vs powder coat.

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 04:46 AM
ah, got you J :) Suspect a motorbike frame they're laying it on very thick, which can then lead to uneven surface finish and not match a paint finish.

250gto boy
03-21-2011, 02:33 PM
I would count yourself lucky because that's a very simple and well put together bike without all the new technology.

Fleet 500
03-21-2011, 04:32 PM
I would count yourself lucky because that's a very simple and well put together bike without all the new technology.
Yes, that is one reason I am going to restore it. It won't be difficult.

Regarding the paint, I should point out that a "good" paint job will suffice. It doesn't have to be show quality since it will just be ridden locally and I also have another bike I ride.

johnnynumfiv
03-21-2011, 05:13 PM
You can still give a decent paint job with base coat/ clear coat for under $50.

Fleet 500
03-21-2011, 05:59 PM
You can still give a decent paint job with base coat/ clear coat for under $50.
That is good to know. A big advantage restoring a bicycle compared to a car... MUCH less expensive!