PDA

View Full Version : Polo R More Likely With VW WRC Entrance in 2013

VOGUE_MAN
05-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Polo R WRC entry in 2013 makes a road-going Polo R variant a more likely proposition for VW.

VW is still wavering on whether or not a Polo R is actually coming but the recent news that a Polo R WRC was headed for a rally debut in 2013 makes the likelihood that Volkswagen will produce a road-going variant far greater.

According to VW board member Ulrich Hackenberg, the coming Polo R WRC boosts a street-legal variant's chances but the model may take some time to make it to market.

"You can see how the World Rally Championship programme would increase the probability of an R version of the base model [Polo]. It is with the rally programme, not before it. I can't give a precise date, but it's along those lines."

That means a market introduction for the Polo R won't happen before 2013.

A Polo R derived from the WRC program would spread development costs around and improve the business case for building the model - the one factor that held VW back for so long.

But a more cost-viable Polo R may not share the same powertrain as the WRC Polo R. That rally racer comes with a 1.6-liter TSI engine with 300 PS (221 kW / 296 hp) and an all-wheel drive system. The road-going Polo R may come with VW Group's 1.4 TSI tuned to above the 200 PS (147 kW / 197 bhp) mark and may not have an all-wheel drive system, like the Golf R does, but instead be a front-drive model like the Scirocco R.

From worldcarfans.com

VOGUE_MAN
05-16-2011, 04:31 PM
If the Polo R was to happen I never for one minute thought it would come with the 221 kw engine, however to not come with all wheel drive would be a tragedy.

I know front wheel drive isn't the total deal breaker it used to be thanks to the GTI, top of the line Renaults, Focus RS etc, but the Polo R won't be cheap and I would be looking to find the extra money to buy a Golf R if there was no Polo all wheel drive option and I was in the market for a fast Volkswagen.

RacingManiac
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I think having the Polo R may be playing into GTI's market for VW....Depends on where Polo R sits, it will probably be in the same window as Scirocco 2.0 TSI, and Golf GTI. And those are not all that far below Scirocco R and Golf R's performance...

Ferrer
05-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I think having the Polo R may be playing into GTI's market for VW....Depends on where Polo R sits, it will probably be in the same window as Scirocco 2.0 TSI, and Golf GTI. And those are not all that far below Scirocco R and Golf R's performance...
Yes, it does seem that Volkswagen's performance lineup is getting a bit crowded.

Still, the Polo R and Golf GTI will probably be directed at different audience, and therefore be different cars in concept.