PDA

View Full Version : V8 Supercars: Endurance pairings hotting up already

fpv_gtho
05-27-2004, 04:51 AM
Brabham returns to Shell Helix at Bathurst

Release Date: 27/05/2004

Australian international David Brabham will return to the Shell Helix Racing driver line-up for this season's V8 Supercar endurance races, team owner Dick Johnson confirmed today.

Brabham will share the legendary Queensland team's second Ford Falcon entry with rising star Owen Kelly in the Sandown 500 (Melbourne) and Bathurst 1000 (NSW) events, later this year.

Shell Helix Racing regulars Steve Johnson and Warren Luff are set to pair up as they did in 2003, sharing the lead number 17 Falcon in the long-distance races.

Domiciled in America and racing sportscars globally, Brabham first drove for Johnson's outfit in the corresponding races last year and is looking forward to his return in 2004.

"Dick runs a great team, the cars are coming on strong for pace, so I am looking forward to using my experience from last year to good effect," David Brabham said.

"From what I've seen Owen (Kelly) is a rising talent and he has already chalked up plenty of Supercar miles this season, so I think we'll be a strong combination."

Brabham's driving partner Kelly has been the star of this year's Konica junior series for Dick Johnson Racing.

The 27-year-old has already chalked up four Bathurst starts and is looking to his best ever result at Mt Panorama.

"I'm extremely excited to be driving with David Brabham in the Shell Helix Racing Ford," Owen Kelly said.

"David is one of Australia's great driving exports and I respect everything that he has done and achieved in his career.

"I'm expecting to learn a lot from David, together we'll be having a red hot go ...I am really looking forward to both events."

Rounds 9 and 10 of the V8 Supercar Championship Series, the Sandown 500 will be raced on 12 September and the Bathurst 1000 on 10 October 2004

Falcon500
05-27-2004, 06:14 AM
Alli have to say was it was a good move for dj to get brabbam in his team...grandson of the ledgendery sir jack brabbam and no doubt will put his experiance to good use.....anyother pairings you know of that are yet to be written down? like who will larko be driveing with...and who will be driveing the 2nd fpr falcon?

fpv_gtho
05-27-2004, 06:42 AM
so far the only confirmed ones are for 888 and DJR here, with Castrol Perkins Motorsport i guess yet to decide on the final decision on whos with who, the only one im confident of is Steven Richards will race with his dad. Theres also a big question mark over who HRT will pick as theyve lost both Jim Richards and Tony Longhurst to Larry Perkins. SBR may very well pick up Crick and Stokell for the extra 2 spots, but they may surprise everyone by going back from last years decision to put Ingall with Ambrose, and have each driver in their own car like DJR was forced to do last year.

Falcon500
05-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Well you can almost gaurentee seto/lowndes and also there besnard/noske which seems likly...since now they both get = points hauls most teams would go for it...rather then shared of previous years...also Ellery/youlden is a ring in i think....
DJR was more out of necesity...wilson was far to short...hes 5 even...johnsons about 6 and a half!
Also my statement about crick and stokell is more then liky who id choose...i was more stateing my opions...id trust the both of them and if i was starting a v8 super car team they would be the first 2 people id ring :rolleyes:

motorsportnerd
05-28-2004, 06:24 AM
The two additional drivers for SBR are Greg Ritter and Cameron McLean (Motorsport News 21 April 2004). Like many things I read on the train on the way home from work, I forgot about this. Just leafed through a few back issues.
To quote MN - "The pair, who raced for Holden teams at Sandown and Bathurst last year, will join Marcos Ambrose and Russell Ingall....MNews believes that the team will keep Ambrose and Ingall in their Pirtek and Caltex cars respectively, unlike last year...Physically, there is little to choose between the four drivers, with all within about eight centremetres in height and six kilos in weight. So it appears that the team is keen to conduct a test session with all four drivers to identify which traits of which lead drivers' set-ups most suit their co-drivers".

I'd therefore predict a Ambrose/Ritter, Ingall/McLean pairings, and unlike some other teams which will put both regular drivers in the lead car (esp FPR, HRT & DJR) I would expect both cars to be front runners.

Further from the same MNews article - "Neither the Holden Racing Team nor K-Mart Racing Team will have any of its 2003 co-drivers available to the teams at Bathurst".

So theres some very good seats going begging.

Drivers on the market without rides so far include Alex Davison, Marcus Marshall, Wayne Wakefield, Paul Stokell, Tim Leahey, Jamie Whincup and Fabein Coulthard.

motorsportnerd
05-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Sandown/Bathurst driver pairings as I've seen so far are:

Confirmed (* means the final driver pairing for that team may change, but drivers I've listed will drive for that team):

Mark Skaife*/Todd Kelly* HRT Holden Commodore
Greg Murphy/Rick Kelly K-Mart Holden Commodore
Marcos Ambrose/Greg Ritter* SBR Ford Falcon
Russell Ingall/Cameron McLean* SBR Ford Falcon
Steve Johnson/Warren Luff DJR Ford Falcon
Owen Kelly/David Brabham DJR Ford Falcon
Craig Lowndes/Glen Seton FPR Ford Falcon
Paul Radisich/Dean Canto* Triple 888 Ford Falcon
Max Wilson/Yvan Muller* Triple 888 Ford Falcon
Jason Bright*/Paul Weel* PWR Holden Commodore
David Besnard*/Mark Noske* WPS Ford Falcon
Brad Jones/John Bowe Ozemail Ford Falcon
John Cleland/Andrew Jones Ozemail Ford Falcon
Garth Tander*/Cameron McConville* GRM Holden Commodore
Steve Richards*/Jim Richards* Castrol Perkins Holden commodore
Steve Ellery/Luke Youlden Super Cheap Ford Falcon
Jason Bargwanna/Mark Larkham Orccon Ford Falcon
Mark Winterbottom/Will Power Orccon Ford Falcon (confirmed in MNews 5/5/04)

Probables/Likely Driver Combos

Nathan Pretty/Allan Simonsen GRM Holden Commodore
Craig Baird/Mark Porter Team Kiwi Holden Commodore
Paul Morris/Alan Gurr Sirromet Holden Commodore
Tony Longhurst/Thomas Mezera Castrol Perkins Holden Commodore
Jason Richards/Alex Yoong Tasman Holden Commodore
Simon Wills/Wayne Wakefield Team Dynamic Holden Commodore
Neil McFadyen/Dale Brede Team Dynamic Holden Commodore

Some speculation:

Paul Dumbrell/(Alex Davison or Larry Perkins) Castrol Perkins Holden Commodore
Anthony Tratt/(Paul Stokell or Fabien Coulthard) Toll Perkins Holden Commodore
Marcus Marshall/TBN PWR Holden Commodore
Charlie O'Brien/John McIntyre (NZ V8 driver who has tested for WPS) WPS Ford Falcon

And some very wild speculation:

Colin McRae/Eddie Irvine FPR Ford Falcon (note: both have expressed an interest in racing at Bathurst, both have Ford or Prodrive links - Irvine last raced in F1 for Ford owned Jag and McRae is racing at LeMans for ProDrive in a Ferrari and has raced in WRC for Ford)

Heinz-Harold Frentzen/Manuel Reuter HRT Holden Commodore (note: both are contracted to Opel in the DTM, and are the lead drivers for Opel - so obvious Holden link and no clashing DTM round on 10 October)

Peter Dumbrock/Laurent Aiello K-Mart Holden Commodore (note: both are contract to Opel's second team in the DTM, have strong Euro records and no clashing DTM round).

So, last three wild cards aside, and the inclusion of the Konica runners, above is likely starting list for Sandown/Bathurst from what I've been able to find in Motorsport News articles.
And any thoughts on my suggestions for the second FPR, HRT and K-Mart seats? They would be strong combos, that's for sure. It would be excellent to see ex F1 winning drivers Frentzen and Irvine in the field, and they're obvious choices for FPR/HRT given the willingness and availability of the drivers.

Falcon500
05-28-2004, 07:37 AM
YOU MISSED GREG CRICK!!!!! in the above mentionings for possible drivers:)

Other then that you done a sound job at throwing all these options in the ring...Also dont forget that murphs father owns something like 2 or 3 cars in the carrera cup...so its not like hes lacking people to fill the seats......
HRT does have their young lion(S?) and their team manager John Faulkner....
Also some very sound choices on the Stone's part Camron McLean severly underated driver who manged some good finishes at bathurst 4th 2 years back to back which is no mean feat....
Also Greg Ritter has driven a BA falcon before for a few rounds at the start of last year and was also the top placed ford in 02 (6th) in his time with DJR...but he hasnt driven anything to my knowlage all year so some preportion may be needed....i think McLean not given the chance to go rusty at all (konicas this year) and his good track record at bathurst makes him a good pairing for Ambrose...but thats my opion...i think ritters a bit taller and lighter then ingall....

motorsportnerd
05-28-2004, 07:54 AM
I haven't seen Greg Crick mentioned in association with any of the available seats in the enduros so far. He is a good driver though, and I would a least expect him to turn up in one of the Konica cars that join the enduros if not in one of the top cars. Also, didn't mention Steve Owen. Suspect he'll drive for Smith's Trucks again.
I think my speculation on the Euros for the HRT/K-Mart/FPR seats is just that - speculation. However, when you think about it the drivers I mentioned for those seats have obvious links.
Also, Murph's father owns Tasman motorsports. I suspect that if Alex Yoong doesn't drive for the team then one of their Porsche Cup drivers will. That means Alex Davison, Fabian Coulthard, Peter Hill and Roger Oakeshott (the four Greg Murphy Racing Porsche drivers) would be the candidates for the seat.
Though Davison and Coulthard could turn up anywhere if Perkins doesn't get them as rumoured.

fpv_gtho
05-29-2004, 03:01 AM
Normally, i'd say its a bold prediction to put Eddie Irvine and Colin McRae in the 2nd FPR car, but 888 have already confirmed Yvan Muller for one of their cars, and David Brabham is with DJR so its not as if its impossible.

SBR's downfall could be how the rival teams pitch their driver pairings in comparison to theirs, like when SBR do the swap between Ambrose and Greg Ritter, HRT might stick Skaife up to get some time over Ritter, just for Ambrose to battle that back whilst he's still racing a competitive Todd Kelly

motorsportnerd
05-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Ritter is a very underrated driver, who always goes very well at Bathurst. Last year he outqualified all his teammates in the Brock/PWR cars. In 2002, he was the fastest DJR driver and qualified in the top 15. In 2001, he qualified in the top 15 shootout and finished 4th with Cameron McLean. He's no slouch, especially at Bathurst. Whether he partners Ambrose or Ingall, he won't hold back their chances of winning.
McLean is also very good. To add to the 4th he got in the DJR car in 2001, he also finished 4th in the 1998 Bathurst 1000 in a BMW 320i, sharing with Tony Scott and in the 1997 Bathurst 100 he shared a Volvo 850 with Jan Nilsson to finish 5th. In the 1997 race, McLean was the fastest driver in qualifying in the Volvo team, ahead of Jim Richards and Rickard Rydell. That impressed a few people.
So, I agree with Falc, SBR got in early and got to of the very best co drivers they could.

As for McRae/Irvine - I really am speculating. Irvine hasn't driven a race car since he left F1. He did express an interest when he visited Bathurst one year as a spectator, but I'm not sure how serious he was. Nor am I sure if FPR can afford him. It would be a PR coup though.
However, I think McRae is a very good chance for the drive, especially if he impresses the Prodrive team at LeMans. Prodrive can also choose one of its other European Ferrari drivers, such as Peter Kox, Jan Magnussen, Darren Turner or Thomas Enge. Expect at least one of Prodrives European drivers to suit for FPR. I'm still tipping McRae. And I'd like to see Irvine.

fpv_gtho
05-29-2004, 05:06 AM
the only memories ive got of Greg Ritter are of him in the DJR car at Bathurst 2002 i think it was, and at the start of 2003 where he unsuccessfully piloted one of the 00 Motorsport BA's. From what i heard of his DJR race, alot of people thought it would be very wise for Dick Johnson to recruit him for a permanent drive

fpv_gtho
06-07-2004, 04:21 AM
another driver taken my Castrol Perkins Racing:

Alex Davison signs up with Perkins for enduros and season 2005

Release Date: 07/06/2004

Up-and-comer Alex Davison has been signed up by Larry Perkins’ championship-leading V8 outfit for this year’s Sandown and Bathurst enduros.

Davison will also retain his seat fulltime with the Perkins Holden operation for season 2005.

“Alex and myself have had ongoing dialogue through the year and I’m delighted to secure a young guy with such experience and calibre – he should dial in quickly and will be a big asset to our team,” said Perkins.

“He has proven to be a skilful, hard charging sort of driver and has everything needed to succeed in V8 Supercar ranks.

“Next year we will supply him with a car that has championship-winning potential – the rest is up to him,” he said.

The 24-year-old Carrera Cup driver is ecstatic at the opportunity to join a multi Bathurst-winning team.

“V8 Supercar racing is one of the toughest categories in the world and I am under no illusions that it’s going to be a walk in the park,” said Davison.

“When I made the decision to come back and race in Australia this year, the aim was always to get in V8s.

“To be with a high profile team like Perkins is very good and the experience of guys like Larry and Steven Richards is going to be nothing but beneficial, and a big bonus,” he said.

Despite never having actually raced a V8 Supercar, Davison is extremely well credentialed.

He was runner-up to Greg Ritter in the 1999 Australian Formula ford Championship, before moving to Germany in 2000 to drive in the cutthroat German Carrera Cup for identical Porsche GT3 Cup cars.

He has tasted success in the series with twin wins at Hockenheim in 2001 and victory at the Sachsenring in 2002.

In 2002, he also competed in the Porsche Supercup for Manthey Racing and finished a strong sixth in the championship, including an historic win at the Indianapolis round (the only Australian in history to win a race at the famous ‘Brickyard’) and podium finishes at the Hungaroring in Hungary and Monza in Italy.

Davison clean-swept the Carrera Cup support races at the Australian Grand Prix last year as well as the series finale at Eastern Creek, and made his Sportscar debut by competing in three rounds of the American Le Mans Series for the PK Sport Porsche outfit.

The Melbourne-based driver also won the first three rounds of this year’s Australian Carrera Cup at Adelaide, Eastern Creek and Hidden Valley and leads fellow Perkins endurance signing Jim Richards in the title chase.

The grandson of four-time Australian Grand Prix winner Lex Davison and son of former Australian Formula 2 Champion Richard, the third generation racer will make his V8 Supercar debut in the Betta Electrical 500 at Sandown on
10-12 September.

Falcon500
06-07-2004, 05:54 AM
Hmmm wellhis son seems to of inherated the family tallent...and this answers the fate of dumbrell....

fpv_gtho
06-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Dumbrell may be moving on to a B grade Holden team like Tasman Motorsport, or maybe theres a second seat at TKR being talked about. I dont think he's out of the V8's though

motorsportnerd
06-08-2004, 02:46 AM
I believe that TKR racing will only hire New Zealand born drivers... That rules out Dumbrell unless he has some kiwi ancestory somewhere...

fpv_gtho
06-08-2004, 04:47 AM
yeah, thats something i suppose unique about the team, and also working against dumbrell.

i suppose that really only leaves the likes of sirromet wines, team dynamik and tasman motorsport as teams that might consider Dumbrell's talent, if hes still considering V8 Supercars. you see all the time in F1 drivers going between race driver, F3000 and test driver.

Falcon500
06-08-2004, 06:21 AM
Personally i think he has quite a bit of tallent and should go overseas for a time...he may not comeback awinner but he will comeback with valuble experiance...half the problem is he hasnt been given a good car...if frosty went straight from stone konica and straight into stone main game he would be doing much better...in his AU he was qualifiying good enough to get into the top 10 of the main game....

fpv_gtho
06-08-2004, 11:39 PM
In my opinion Frosty has alot of natural talent. When he was in the Konica's last year he comparitively speaking took the series by the scruff of the neck harder than Ambroe did last year, winning 5 of 6 rounds. Orrcon arent the best team out there though, so he hasnt got the speed he probably wants. Its almost a miracle that Bargs has put his car in the top 10 on many occasions, let alone Frosty with alot less experience.

Well what realistically wuld be overseas for Dumbrell? He may be interested in some overseas prouction racing similar to Nations Cup. Then theres always NASCAR

Falcon500
06-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Well its no suprise the cars are good but not yetgreat....but i do think that frosty is being let down by the car a little bit...at least it has stones grunt to it now.....
Well tin tops prehaps some production raceing more like GT-P endurance races in them classes while not noticable to most normal people speak highly to a team boss if they are there...prehaps theamerican rolex endurance series would be a goodplace for him.....but thats all pie in the sky....

fpv_gtho
06-09-2004, 05:29 AM
he may be interested in getting involved in one og the GTO teams overseas or one of the europan teams running the Monaro's. theres a million opportunities out there if hes willing totravel or leave the country, thats somethig that i suppose stopo alot of people getting into the likes of F1 and WRC.

motorsportnerd
06-09-2004, 05:41 AM
More Bathurst pairings confirmed:

Motorsport News 9 June 2004: "International touring car star Alain Menu is heading to Australia to join Ford Performance Racing. The former British Touring Car Champion will drive an FPR Falcon BA at the Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000. However, MNews sources in the UK are saying that the move of the 40-year Swiss ace is to be long-term and he will race for the team in 2005.
The team's fourth driver will be confirmed following its maiden test of 2004 on June 21/22 at Winton Raceway, which will be attended by all four drivers. While the team plans to announce his identity, and its pairings following the test, our sources tell us that Adam Macrow has been secured for the enduros after having raced for FPR at Sandown and Bathurst last year."

So, that'll be a Alain Menu/Adam Macrow combo in the second FPR car then. Solid top ten contender, but Macrow is lacking in miles. Menu is very experienced, having won the 1997 BTCC in a Williams Renault Laguna and 2000 in a Prodrive Ford Mondeo. He has driven V8s in the DTM for Opel between 2001 and 2003. He's driving a Prodrive Ferrari at LeMans this weekend. No doubts he can handle the power of the Falcon.
Menu has previous Bathurst experience. He raced the Laguna in the 1997 Bathurst 1000, and led for many laps till the engine expired. He has also raced V8 Supercars at Bathurst - in 1998 in a Commodore with Thomas Mezera and 2000 with Mark Larkham in the Mitre 10 Falcon. Menu matched Larko's times, but the pair finished 18th after a couple of offs in the wet that year.
Also interesting is that Menu will be one of the FPR drivers in 2005. Lowndes appears almost certain to leave, going to Triple 888. And apparantly to quote MNews again, "we believe that the only driver who has a definite 2005 FPR deal is Menu". Does this mean that Seto is on the lookout for a drive too? If Radisich swaps with Lowndes as rumoured, that would leave Seto out of a job? So Radisich and Menu for FPR in 2005? Though, yet another scenario had Ingall going to Triple 888, Lowndes to SBR and Radicish to FPR... Anyway, I hope Seto has more than just an endurance deal next year...
Menu will do well. In fact, I'd say he'll adapt much better than Wilson. From watching him in the BTCC in the past I can say he is no where near as aggressive or hard on his machinery as Wilson is.

fpv_gtho
06-09-2004, 05:48 AM
Also interesting is that Menu will be one of the FPR drivers in 2005. Lowndes appears almost certain to leave, going to Triple 888. And apparantly to quote MNews again, "we believe that the only driver who has a definite 2005 FPR deal is Menu". Does this mean that Seto is on the lookout for a drive too? If Radisich swaps with Lowndes as rumoured, that would leave Seto out of a job? So Radisich and Menu for FPR in 2005? Though, yet another scenario had Ingall going to Triple 888, Lowndes to SBR and Radicish to FPR... Anyway, I hope Seto has more than just an endurance deal next year...
Menu will do well. In fact, I'd say he'll adapt much better than Wilson. From watching him in the BTCC in the past I can say he is no where near as aggressive or hard on his machinery as Wilson is.

So in other words, in the top 3 ford teams (on budget mind you) the only ones that are set in concrete are for Max Wilson to stay at 888 and Ambrose to stay at SBR. I'd be interested in what would persuade Ingall to change teams, Lowndes its not that hard to find a reason

motorsportnerd
06-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Another confirmed pairing.

Motorsport News, June 9, 2004: "Look for two Ts - Tomas Mezera and Anthony Tratt - to suit up together for the endurance races this season. The former Bathurst winner, who moved to the Perkins team, will pilot the Toll Racing Commodore VY for Tratts first Holden assault on the Mountain after he moved from the Ford camp at the start of the season. Perkins Engineering, which prepares the Toll machine, is expected to finalise the deal shortly."

So, following confirmation of Alex Davison driving for Perkins we have the following likely lineups for Perkins:
Steve Richards/Jim Richards Castrol Commodore
Paul Dumbrell/Alex Davison Castrol Commodore
Tony Longhurst/? Castrol Commodore
Anthony Tratt/Thomas Mezera Toll/Orix Commodore.

Look for the Tratt/Mezera car to be a strong top 5 contender. Mezera is a very under rated driver who can plug straight into the car even though he only drives a couple of time a year.

Also, the latest issue of MNews suggest that Anthony Tratt will stand aside from full time driving in 2005, with "sources suggesting that the team is less than satisified with its performances in what is considered to be a Level 1 car...Adding fuel to the fire comes the media release confirming Alex Davison will race a Perkins V8 Supercar next season..the release was from Perkins Engineering and bore no Castrol Racing ID, an astonishing 'oversight' for such a (usually) professional organisation. Could Alex Davison be driving in Toll Racing colours in 2005?"

Another article noted that "the signing of Davison for 2005 leaves a third Castrol seat, which MNews believes will be retained by Paul Dumbrell."

So, it appears that Dumbrell will be retained by Perkins after all next year, and possibily Longhurst or even another young gun. Likely 2005 lineup: Castrol - Richards, Dumbrell, (Longhurst or Fabien Coulthard?) & Tratt - Davison.

Also, note that MNews says the "sources suggest that Perkins will only again suit up if indeed he is unable to secure the services of an additional driver he sees as able to do the job required by the team".
I can't see Perkins/Longhurst sharing a car somehow... Its well known Perkins sees potential in young Fabien Coulthard. So, he could be the final young gun in the team...

Falcon500
06-09-2004, 06:39 AM
Marcrow has been in enduos for many years last year being his forst stint with a ford team in about 4 years of eunduros.....He also is a super sedan champion from memory...
Also Wilson isnt very hard on his cars nor is he that agressive...he blocks a bit and peope get agressive at him! I will not makeany assumptions about menu other then he will donicly as a co driver...and if he does take setos seatmay he burn in hell!

motorsportnerd
06-09-2004, 07:06 AM
I will not makeany assumptions about menu other then he will donicly as a co driver...and if he does take setos seatmay he burn in hell!

Trust me, Menu's the real deal. Just needs to adapt to V8 Supercar first. Also, Menu is apparantly confirmed for 2005. Neither Lowndes or Seto are. So technically, he hasn't taken Setos seat.
What if Lowndes and Radisich swap places? That would mean Seto would need to be dumped to accommodate Radisich. You could argue Menu's possible partner, Radisich, will take Setos seat. So, should the Rat burn in hell as well if its actually him who replaces Seto?

BTW, personally, I'd rather see Seto stay with FPR, Radisich stay with Triple 888 and Lowndes move to SBR, with a third licence found at SBR to keep Ingall there.... Though, there's always WPS as well for Ingall or Seto... Seto may even buy back a licence and reform his own team. So many options...

Falcon500
06-09-2004, 07:19 AM
I dont trust euro drivers as much as australian ones....and look at the statts to backit up...its happend in the past and ill be suprised if it changes in the near furture...many have been sucseful...as co drivers...themost noteable would have to be paul radasich....statistics dont tell the whole story but facts defitnly speak here...thats why i rarely jump up and down when they sign such drivers up.....
Peronally id rather see a 2nd stones team formed rather then running three cars from the one boom...andwhile there are options i think all this shuffling and excitement over a visitor takeing a full time drive is a mixed omen....

fpv_gtho
06-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I dont think Ross an Jimmy are prepared to start a 2nd franchise. They didnt have the funds to keep Frosty in a 3rd car in the mainstream series at the end of last year so i dont think they would be able to afford Lowndes with his $500K salary. They might try something with Orccon though to get Lowndes and Frosty in a 2nd SBR franchise whilst Larko reclaims his seat or something, but i think Larko's put permanent racing aside. You never know, it may be FPR who comes up with the 2nd franchise to support Menu and someone else

Falcon500
06-10-2004, 07:07 AM
They didnt want to carry on not because of monatry issues they didnt think they couldget another driver as good as frosty...that and they wanted to focus more on their engine building and their mainstream cars... and a second franchise could be like what tratt has going as well....

fpv_gtho
06-10-2004, 06:33 PM
well how does it sound if SBR buy out Steve Ellery and run a 3rd car like how Perkins has done it? It seems privateer's arent having much luck anymore. Tratt got bought out, Thexton left, Noske joined WPS, it seems Steve Ellery's type is a dying breed

motorsportnerd
07-01-2004, 06:13 AM
This week's issue of Auto Action magazine has some speculation on the possible drivers for the second HRT Commodore. Apparantly Peter Brock's name is in the mix. And 2003 BTCC champion James Thompson is keen for a V8 Supercar drive.
Could be interesting. Brock is 61 years old now, but still keen for another win in the Bathurst 1000 to join the 9 that he already has. He still wants the perfect 10. Unfortunately, he can't count the win in the Bathurst 24 hour race - as that is a complete different event.
Apparantly Brock was approached by K-Mart racing, but clashing sponsorships prevented any chance of his driving there. Brock has strong ties with Mobil and Bridgestone, whereas K-Mart racing is sponsored by Castrol and Dunlop.
And Thompson has the credentials to be a good candidate for the seat. He was supposed to make his Bathurst debut in the 1998 Bathurst 1000 with the factory Honda team - until Honda pulled out. Now he has links with Holden through his drive in the BTCC in a Vauxhall Astra. However, his BTCC team - Triple 888 - runs a Ford team in Australia, and may not be keen on Thompson joining HRT.
Still interesting possibility.

Now which of the grey haired elder statesmen of Australia motorsport will win? Brock, Jim Richards or the not so grey John Bowe?
Just imagine the headlines - Brock wins battle of the grand dads...

motorsportnerd
07-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Further driver pairings.

Drivers for the K-Mart team's second car are likely to be Steve Owen/Allan Simonsen.
Drivers for the second WPS car are likely to be Alex Yoong/Charlie O'Brien.

fpv_gtho
07-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Larry Perkins has also officially declined another Bathurst spot, giving is seat to Jamie Whincup

motorsportnerd
07-01-2004, 06:56 AM
Interesting.
Hope Whincup does well. Has Perkins announced the pairings yet?

fpv_gtho
07-01-2004, 08:14 PM
not that ive seen, im just hoping he doesnt stick him with Dumbrell in a VX, although Longhurst is supposed to be getting a VY soon isnt he?

motorsportnerd
07-07-2004, 06:29 AM
OK, thanks to this weeks Motorsport News, more confirmed pairings.

The racing number 05 will indeed return in the enduros. The second HRT Commodore will have the 05 on the doors and be driven by Peter Brock/Jason Plato.

Larkham Motorsport has confirmed its pairings. Jason Bargwanna and Mark Larkham will drive one car. And a surprise in the second car. Mark Winterbottom will share with kiwi Matt Halliday. Originally Will Power was to driver for Larkham, but that now won't happen.

WPS Motorsport's second car will be driven by ex F1 driver Alex Yoong and young kiwi John McIntyre. Originally, Charlie O'Brien appeared likely to drive for this team, but that now won't happen.

And K-Mart still hasn't finalised their second car. Steve Owen appears certain. However, Tim Leahey and Allan Simonsen have both been connected to the co-driver spot.

Also, one of Falc's favourite drivers, Paul Stokell has found a competititve drive. Simon Wills/Paul Stokell will share the lead Team Dynamic car. The second Team Dynamic entry will be Dale Brede/Neil McFadyen. Perhaps Falc you'll have to cheer a least one Holden this year?

fpv_gtho
07-07-2004, 07:07 AM
Perhaps a ray of sunshine for whats turned into a cloudy week for SBR:

Greg Ritter to drive Decina Bathroomware's Konica Minolta car

Release Date: 07/07/2004

"We are pleased to announce that Greg Ritter will be driving the Decina Bathroomware Falcon for the remainder of the Konica Minolta Season. Greg will be on loan from Stone Brothers Racing for whom he will drive in the upcoming Bob Jane T-marts Bathurst 1000”, Jim Morton of Speed FX Racing Pty Ltd, said today.

“ Greg’s successes at Bathurst with limited drives through the year is second to none”, Jim Morton said. “You don’t finish forth in the toughest touring car race in the World without being both fast and having good racecraft”, he said.

Greg has two top ten finishes from three starts at Bathurst and was ninth fastest in last years race. Given that he is yet to run a full season of V8 Supercar races, his results have been outstanding.

“My drivers competed against Greg back in his and our karting days and where he won an Australian Championship and was always been a front runner. Our Engineer, Peter Verheyne says he won the Australian Formula Ford Championship the tough way without the benefit of the best car so he is very highly regarded here”, Jim Morton said.

This is Speed FX Racings opening year with a V8 Supercar and they are running the series winning, Mark Winterbottom driven, Stone Brothers built car from last year. Their flagship sponsor is Australia’s largest specialist Bath and Spa Bath manufacturer, Decina Bathroomware. A Queensland manufacturer, they sell their range through Bathroomware retailers around Australia and the Pacific Basin.

The Speed FX Racing Team has its roots deep in karting where they ran drivers such as James Courtney, Mark Winterbottom,
Michael Caruso, Alan Gurr, Adam Clarke and Jason Bright amongst a host of others in their early days.

Greg’s father, Graham Ritter was a star of Touring Car Racing in the Seventies. His wickedly fast Escort finished fifth in the Australian Touring Car Championships behind the legends of that period, Jane, Moffat, Geoghegan, McKeown and Beechey.

You can win a “hot lap” ride with Greg Ritter in the Decina V8 Supercar in a competition they are now running through Bathroomware outlets around the country.

fpv_gtho
07-07-2004, 07:14 AM
No confirmation yet as to whether its Ambrose or Ingall Greg Ritter will be driving for

fpv_gtho
07-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Coulthard to join Tasman for enduros

Release Date: 20/07/2004

Promising young New Zealander Fabian Coulthard has been selected by Tasman Motorsport to partner Jason Richards in the #3 VY Commodore for the Sandown 500 and Bathurst 1000 enduro races.

Coulthard, 21, tested recently with Tasman during a test day at the team’s home track, Sydney’s Oran Park, and will also drive the team’s spare VX Commodore in Round 8 of the V8 Supercar Championship Series at Oran Park prior to the enduro races.

Tasman general manager Jon Matthews said Coulthard had impressed the team with his speed and maturity.

“Fabian was an outstanding candidate and we’re thrilled to be able to invite him to join us,” he said. “We see him as one of the genuine up-and-coming stars of motorsport and we’re pleased to be able to provide him with his first drive in V8 Supercars.

“We thought it was important to give him a drive at Oran Park in a race situation so he can really hit the ground running at Sandown.”

Coulthard has this year been a leading contender in the highly competitive Porsche-based Carrera Cup series, currently 3rd in that series behind fellow young gun Alex Davison and experienced campaigner Jim Richards.

A brilliant background in open-wheeler racing has paved the way for Coulthard’s first foray into V8 Supercars – a multiple national junior kart champion in New Zealand, he graduated to Formula Ford to win the NZ national championship in 2001/02, then to the Asian Festival of Speed in Malaysia in 2002 where he won two rounds driving a “wings and slicks” AF2000.

After attending the renowned Marsh Talented Drivers Program early in 2003, Coulthard accepted an opportunity to compete in the highly regarded British Formula Renault Championship, where he was placed 8th after 11 rounds when a lack a funding saw him return home to NZ, then come to Australia in 2004 to race with Greg Murphy Racing for the Carrera Cup season.

“It’s a great opportunity for me and one that I’m thrilled has come in just my first year of tin-top racing in Australia,” he said.

“Tasman is a great fit for me, Jason and I have known each other for years and Kevin Murphy’s link with both Tasman and GMR, means I already know a lot of the crew and won’t be afraid to ask questions.”

Coulthard will join fellow Kiwi Jason Richards – both grew up and raced as juniors in Auckland – in the team’s newly minted VY Commodore for an all-out assault on the two enduro races.

Richards said he was excited to be joined by an old friend and adversary in the Tasman Motorsport car. “Fabian’s a few years younger than me, but we have raced against each other a few times and known each other for many years,” he said.

“From what I observed on the test day, Fabian has the ability to learn quickly and the confidence to back himself, which is critical in a field of 35 V8 Supercars. And we’ve seen in the Carrera Cup that he has outright speed – he could be a future star in this category.”

Matthews said the Tasman Motorsport team, formed this year under the stewardship of former Lansvale Racing Team directors Steve Reed and Trevor Ashby joined by expatriate Kiwis Kevin Murphy and Tim Miles, would hold back nothing in their quest to succeed in the critical enduro races.

“This year was always going to be a transitional one for us, and we’ve certainly got nothing to lose by taking a pretty hard-nosed approach into the enduro races,” Matthews said.

“We’ve got a good car and a strong driver pairing, and I have every confidence that they can be very competitive over the longer distance. We’d be delighted with a Top 10 finish in each race.”

motorsportnerd
07-21-2004, 06:32 AM
Also confirmed is the line up for Garry Rogers Motorsport.
Garth Tander, Cameron McConville, Nathan Pretty and Alan Simonsen will team up for GRM - likely pairing are Tander/McConville and Pretty/Simonsen.

Falcon500
07-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Well i rember old pics of Grice and perter brock as grey tufted old men saying the catigory would be better if young blokes like seton wouldent keep comming up and winning eveything (88 bathurst guide i think it was it was a comic very tounge in cheak)

But personally i think That there are some more solid drivers out there then Peter brock...and many still race in the catigory....diont they trust their holden young lions or something? takeing nothing away from him but i think hes slipped...and while he seems to have fallen back into a good raceing rythem ill never forget his first race in the procar series....White hot rotars in daylight and the car should have been sponsored by Catarpillar...seeing as how much dirt the splitter moved during his first few races in the 427....i know im being unfair but i dislike seeing good names ruined for the sake of glory and sponsorship...i saw it happen in 02 when he came 2nd last and it would hurt to see it again(even if i dont like the man much)

Team Dynamic where a great team in 03 but it all fell apart by the enduros...they even had some very well specualted ex cart and BTCC drivers in their 2nd car...but fionotto wanted too much...and rather then takeing the time leanr and grow he tryed just gowing and beating the best teams and seemed to of sufferd....but all the best to stokell....now all we need is for crick to get a good drive.....and also i do have a holden to barrack for mezera and longhurst...even if i despise larry.....

And fordriver movement...ive read that lowndes has been too 888s facilitys for a tour and is consdiering his options very thoutghly...it will be a huge loos if he leaves FPR...but i think the rat and Seto couldwork welltogether....and there are even some faint whispers that DJR has been haveing chats with lowndes....maybey thats the lift they need....

fpv_gtho
07-22-2004, 11:30 PM
im yet to see if Larry's paired his rookies together or not, but if its mezera and longhurst, and richards and richards, the he hasnt got much of a choice there

it wouldn be wise for For to stick Lowndes in 888 next year. FPR admit to using this year as a development year, which they shouldve done last year, but Lowndes needs to settle down before he can perform. people criticise him for not being able to win as much since leaving HRT, but hes been in about 3 teams in 4 years. go figure on that one

motorsportnerd
07-23-2004, 06:48 AM
i know im being unfair but i dislike seeing good names ruined for the sake of glory and sponsorship...i saw it happen in 02 when he came 2nd last and it would hurt to see it again(even if i dont like the man much)....

I'll admit to being a Brock fan. He was my hero when I was a teenager and I would still love to see him win. Other than the occasional hard to understand, weird, new age mumble jumbo that comes out of his mouth, I still respect Brock and consider him to be a great ambassador for the sport. I still consider him a likeable, intelligent bloke, even after all these years.
I'll also say that it is sad that he has to keep making comebacks. Leading the 1997 Bathurst Primus 1000 on his fareware and dominating until the engine blew meant he left on top. The 2002 race was a fiasco. And he should have hung up the helmet permanently after winning the Bathurst 24 hour.
Just wondering why you don't like him much Falc?

fpv_gtho
07-28-2004, 03:53 AM
Owen and Leahey to join Kmart Racing regulars for V8 Supercar endurance races

Release Date: 28/07/2004

Defending Bathurst champions Kmart Racing have named young guns Steve Owen and Tim Leahey to their squad for the Sandown and Bathurst V8 Supercar races to be run in September and October respectively.

The duo, who both have had plenty of previous V8 Supercar racing since they both made their V8 debut in 1999, will pair up in one of the team’s VY Commodores while regular drivers Rick Kelly and Greg Murphy will share the lead car as they attempt to win back-to-back Bathurst crowns.

Owen, 29, says the chance to join the Kmart team is his best chance of success at Sandown and Bathurst.

“It’s definitely a great team to be joining for the big races and gives Tim and I our best chances of being on the podium and having a strong race result.

“Kmart Racing is one of the best-drilled teams in pit lane and I’m there to do a job for them. I’m a team player and I’m here to do whatever is required of me.”

Owen has been racing in the Australian Formula Ford Championship in a works Spectrum, winning round four of the series at Queensland Raceway and finishing second in last weekend’s round at Winton.

He made a one-off appearance in the Holden Young Lions Commodore at the Winton Konica Minolta V8 Supercar Series round, qualifying on the front row of the grid in his only V8 Supercar start of the season to date.

He has five Bathurst starts to his name, with a ninth place in 1999 his best result.

Leahey, 28, also has five Bathurst starts to his name as well as an impressive resume, which includes a round win and a pole position in last year’s Porsche Carrera Cup.

He has been racing a works Volkswagen in selected rounds of this year’s Australian GT Performance Championship and is happy to be linking with Kmart Racing.

“I haven’t driven a V8 Supercar since Bathurst last year but I’m sure that it won’t take too long to get back into the swing of things,” said the Orange-based driver.

“It’s hard to get up to the pace in the category because it’s so competitive, but there’s no doubt that Steve and I will have the hardware that’s capable of putting us well and truly in the mix when we go to Sandown and Bathurst.

Kmart Racing team manager Rob Crawford said that Owen and Leahey will have their first taste of the team’s Commodores during a test session this Friday at Phillip Island.

“We’ve selected two drivers who are both very experienced when it comes to V8 Supercar endurance racing and that’s an important consideration when we decide our line-ups,” said Crawford.

“Putting our two lead drivers together in the one car gives us a fantastic chance of repeating our Bathurst success and we’ve got Steve and Tim aboard to provide solid back up.”

The Kmart Racing outfit will give both drivers a run at Phillip Island, with the duo to debut in the team’s colours at the Sandown 500 on September 10-12.