PDA

View Full Version : Carbon-Fibre wheels

Kudosdude
06-16-2003, 02:39 AM
http://www.azev.de/images/news/kohle_rad.jpg

I wondered how long it would take; whether it is the future or not . . . who knows.

guyt_x
06-17-2003, 07:33 AM
how strong is that ?

and what about dents can it be molded back into shape

DSM owner
06-17-2003, 12:25 PM
It won't dent. It will just break. Carbon fiber has a relativly weak shear strength.

guyt_x
06-17-2003, 11:10 PM
I wonder what the weight difference is ?

MKielbasa
06-23-2003, 07:59 PM
Carbon fiber has been used in bicycle rims for awhile. It is a great material but not really suited for this application. I think it's a pipe dream at best.

You may see it in F1 or IRL racing, but I would expect that to be the end of it.

guyt_x
06-23-2003, 11:02 PM
proburlay end up being some hybrid conpound like carbon fiber/titanium/aliminium and other stuff prob cost moocho's denero's

crisis
07-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Carbon fibre is basically a plastic. The main considerations would be rigidity (resistance to flexing) and impervious to leaks. It is almost inevitable wheels will eventually be made of this.

guyt_x
07-17-2003, 12:23 AM
what did you do find every post I subscribed to and posted somthing ?

Misho
07-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by DSM owner
It won't dent. It will just break. Carbon fiber has a relativly weak shear strength.

Being a senior engineering student, I was wondering if DSMowner or anyone else could explain why shear strength is an issue in a wheel ?? The only possible shear strain situation I can think of is during sliding of the car and even then most of the strain will act on the tyres and not the wheels.

DSMowner, r u an engineer of some sort ??

crisis
07-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by guyt_x
what did you do find every post I subscribed to and posted somthing ?
Sorry. Just let me know which ones Im allowed to post on.

guyt_x
07-20-2003, 11:48 PM
I like you you can post where ever you want

DSM owner
07-21-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Misho
Being a senior engineering student, I was wondering if DSMowner or anyone else could explain why shear strength is an issue in a wheel ?? The only possible shear strain situation I can think of is during sliding of the car and even then most of the strain will act on the tyres and not the wheels.

DSMowner, r u an engineer of some sort ??

Yes, I am an engineer. Any time a car is turning, there will be shear stress on the wheel. The axle will be wanting to push the wheel the opposite direction than the tire, which is why tires fold under when turning fast. Also, anything such as gravel and pebbles hitting the wheel would have a better chance of puncturing it than aluminum or steel. Although, I wasn't saying carbon fiber was too weak to use for wheels, someone asked it would dent and be molded back into shape, and I was answering that question.

DSM owner
07-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by crisis
Carbon fibre is basically a plastic. The main considerations would be rigidity (resistance to flexing) and impervious to leaks. It is almost inevitable wheels will eventually be made of this.

Ridgidity wouldn't be an issue with carbon fiber. It's much more ridgid than aluminum or steel. Saying something's "basically a plastic" is a very broad statment, there's many different types of plastic, some stronger and more heat resistant than steel, some like the kind your milk jug is made of.

ozexige
07-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Hey Dweeb your family's lookin' fer yu...

Is your past catchin' up with you? .......

DSM owner
07-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ozexige
Hey Dweeb your family's lookin' fer yu...

Is your past catchin' up with you? .......

Try to make sense.

guyt_x
07-21-2003, 11:20 PM
like dents or cracks

doesnt carbon fibre shatter?

ozexige
07-21-2003, 11:56 PM
Try to make sense.

Hey junior - read ALL the Dweeb's posts and then decide what makes sense - dickhead.

:D

DSM owner
07-22-2003, 12:28 PM
Hey junior - read ALL the Dweeb's posts and then decide what makes sense - dickhead.

:D

No one who posted in this thread is named Dweeb.
That picture isn't funny regardless...

ozexige
07-23-2003, 04:38 PM
If you knew the Dweeb like most of us (and it would only require a little effort like reading his past posts),
you can then decide for yourself -
BEFORE you pass judgement.

DSM owner
07-26-2003, 12:32 AM
If you knew the Dweeb like most of us (and it would only require a little effort like reading his past posts),
you can then decide for yourself -
BEFORE you pass judgement.

Well, I mostly visit the technical forum, so I don't know your pet names for eachother. But it seems to me that if you want to insult someone, that picture isn't the way to do it.

ozexige
07-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Well, I mostly visit the technical forum, so I don't know your pet names for eachother. But it seems to me that if you want to insult someone, that picture isn't the way to do it.

Like the 'Dweeb' - you make assumptions - based on your opinion.
Is my post wrong because of the white-guy in the 'Wonder Women' outfit? - or something else?......
I eagerly await your reply......
:)

DSM owner
07-27-2003, 10:17 PM
Like the 'Dweeb' - you make assumptions - based on your opinion.
Is my post wrong because of the white-guy in the 'Wonder Women' outfit? - or something else?......
I eagerly await your reply......
:)
'
That picture is stupid because it has no actual insult to the kids intelligence. It's something that's blatantly false, like a little kid calling another little kid "poopface". If you want to insult someone, then you have to have a little more substance than nothing.

ozexige
07-27-2003, 11:36 PM
'
That picture is stupid because it has no actual insult to the kids intelligence. It's something that's blatantly false, like a little kid calling another little kid "poopface". If you want to insult someone, then you have to have a little more substance than nothing.

I disagree -
my post is clearly directed towards his questionable ancestry which points to him having at least 50% (and more likely 100% - if his posts are taken into account) of a monkey's brain -

so there! - 'poopface'

henk4
07-29-2003, 02:40 PM
having been absent for a while I just went through this thread. It obviously started as something serious, until Ozexige came along and for the umptiest time tried to be "niece" to Guyt. Having noticed that Guyt has already been banned, my proposal for the next banning is Ozexige, for screwing up this thread. May be he and Guyt can exchange email addresses and continue their battles in private.

crisis
07-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by henk4
May be he and Guyt can exchange email addresses and continue their battles in private.
Dont ban ozexige too! He just got through calling me a girl and/or gay in another post. Let him make a complete idiot of himself like Guyt. He is becoming that which he most hated. Its an interesting study in the human condition.

ozexige
07-31-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by crisis
Dont ban ozexige too! He just got through calling me a girl and/or gay in another post. Let him make a complete idiot of himself like Guyt. He is becoming that which he most hated. Its an interesting study in the human condition.

Sorry - I wasn't listening -
was Mr. hanky suggesting that I be excommunicated -
I didn't realise that he had been referring to me, being on an 'ignore list', he just doesn't show up when I log in.

Egg Nog
08-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Sorry - I wasn't listening -
was Mr. hanky suggesting that I be excommunicated -
I didn't realise that he had been referring to me, being on an 'ignore list', he just doesn't show up when I log in.

God damn it, I hate it how a few of these guys seem to screw up and distort every single decent and interesting thread on these boards. I was really intrigued by the engineer's opinions and the whole of using carbon fibre in wheels.

Along come you guys and turn it into a biased, irrelevent, and completely immature flame war. Bravo.

ukgoose
09-16-2003, 01:39 PM
the thing with carbon fibre wheels is being they are light but the first bump that you hit at hight speed then ya just lost all your wheels and you end up driving on the axels in a matter of seconds, and yes there have been carbon fibre hybrid materials, its carbon fibre weave laced with kevlar, and that makes it stonger.
yes theyre the future, BUT they got lots of developmet to go thru and if you look at the price of REAL carbon fibre part you will see that they aint gpnna copme cheap!!!
and 1 more thingy.............. only the rims part of the whell is carbon the spokes are mouled alli!!!

henk4
09-16-2003, 01:59 PM
Good that this thread has found a new life. My contribution now is may be slightly out of focus but could may contribute a little bit. Not many of you may also be interested in the engineless two wheel way of moving, being on a racing bike like I regularly do.
I admit that the forces wheelrims may encounter here are far less than anything that can happen to a car, but carbon wheels (six or even three spokes, 28 inch) are being used in professional bike racing, maily in time trials, but as a general consumer you also have access to these things. As a matter of fact there are also carbon frames for racing bikes (the dude in charge of this site actually has one). I decided on aluminium, because it can be repaired in case of trouble. A carbon frame is very strong, but wears out by age, and once broken no repair possibilty exists. Taking into account what has been said elsewhere in this thread about wheels for cars, I assume problems are similar.

tg1_in_france
09-23-2003, 02:05 AM
Aren't carbon fibre motorbike wheels available now.
http://www.performancewheels.com/dymag/Dymag_carboncomposite.htm

I'm a full time cyclist (human powered) and I crashed a number of carbon wheels. They are very strong but when they do go, they shatter. In fact my mate had a 6 inch scar to prove it.

I trust my life with carbon wheels every time I point my bike down a mountain road (before an one asks, I regularly hit 50mph round corners) and if enough money was put into the development, I'd trust carbon car wheels too.

megotmea7
09-23-2003, 12:39 PM
lmao, i can se someone haulin ass down a hill oops there goes a rock the wheel shatters the guy flys off at 50mph and hits a tree