PDA

View Full Version : The Elegance at Hershey, 2011

kvisser
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
There was an inaugural event just 2 weeks ago held on the grounds of the Hotel At Hershey in Pennsylvania. It was the idea of Jack Rich, an avid collector of some of the finest automobiles on the planet. With just 6 months of planning, this group was able to pull off and incredible event.

I took my dad along for the Saturday Hill climb labeled the Grand Ascent. He had a great time and it was really cool to share some of my automotive world with him.

Here is the description: The Grand Ascent is a vintage hill climb exhibition in the European tradition, where drivers will pilot some of the finest vintage race cars up the historic back road to The Hotel Hershey. Modeled on similar events such as England’s Goodwood Festival of Speed and paying homage to long standing events such as Mount Equinox, The Grand Ascent will relive the excitement of race cars storming up hill to test the mettle of the driver and the machine.

It turns out that the Grand Ascent was indeed rather grand. While there could have been more cars, what we had was quite interesting.

For me, the coolest car on the hill was my friend's 1929 Bugatti Type 45. It was a 16 cylinder Grand Prix race car with a 3.8 liter/250 hp. The 16 cylinder engine which was made of 2-8 cylinder banks with 2 crankshafts as used in the Bugatti powered WWI fighter planes.

warm regards

Ken Visser
Discovery Communications, LLC

kvisser
06-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Dick Vermeil, the former coach of the NFL Philadelphia Eagles was the honorary chairman and had a blast running up the hill in a friend's mg.

Another friend brought his 32 Maserati 8c grand prix car. It sounded wonderful!
There also were 2 Amilcar racers on the road as well as a number of good looking Lotus'

regards

ken

kvisser
06-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Here are some racing shots of the hillclimb

kvisser
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
More up the hill

henk4
06-23-2011, 10:47 PM
good stuff, is the Maserati an 8CM or CLT and which number is it?

Cobrafan427
06-24-2011, 05:29 AM
Were there any cars from the automotive museum? They have quite the collection and some make appearances at different events regularly

kvisser
06-24-2011, 06:10 AM
I don't know the serial number. Its a 32 8c3000 owned by a wonderful Dutch fellow.

These attached photos were taken at the 2008 St Michaels Concours.

henk4
06-24-2011, 07:53 AM
I don't know the serial number. Its a 32 8c3000 owned by a wonderful Dutch fellow.

These attached photos were taken at the 2008 St Michaels Concours.

We know a Dutchman who has two 8Cs (a 3000C and a 3000CM) but both cars do not have the cycle fenders.

kvisser
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Were there any cars from the automotive museum? They have quite the collection and some make appearances at different events regularly

Dr Simeone was there with his 29 duPont racer. I spoke with him for a short while. Quite an interesting if not tall vehicle.

regards

ken