PDA

View Full Version : what anti virus software do you use?

kitkat
05-28-2004, 03:06 AM
what kind of anti virus software do you use? do you have any good anti virus software to recommend? any opinion on the free anti virus softwares that are available right now? currently i am using the free one from grisoft.

www.grisoft.com

Spastik_Roach
05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Norton Antivirus has always worked out for me, but it is a bit of a pain to keep updated..

TINUZ
05-28-2004, 03:20 AM
I use norman antivirus!
Perfect program easy to install en very easy to use!
And holds everything and updates automatically every day!

http:\\www.norman.com

deffenbaugh03
05-28-2004, 04:53 AM
I use Norton and I like it. Spastik i agree it is a pain to update

dydzi
05-28-2004, 05:45 AM
I use norton antivirus and zone alarm firewall - it's free and quite good for me

byronleehk
05-28-2004, 08:06 AM
AVG Anti-Virus. :)

Matt
05-28-2004, 09:12 AM
We use Panda Antivirus here at work. It's an enterprise package. VERY easy to update and administer.

stratos
05-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Norton AntiVirus 2002 .....

drakkie
05-28-2004, 10:08 AM
I use Norton and I like it. Spastik i agree it is a pain to update
I got norton 2004, and with that one, updating is pretty simple

VtecMini
05-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I got Norton Internet Security, 2003 i think. When it wants to update, it does so on its own. Can't say it's a pain as such.

My friend has that AVG thing, it kept telling him he had a virus despite the fact that norton had missed it. It never went away either, just kept telling him he had this virus that it couldn't get rid of. Looked pretty useless to me.

Coventrysucks
05-28-2004, 11:37 AM
I had Norton, which I paid for, and it was great.
Untill it stopped working, for no apparent reason.
I have tried all of the solutions on the Norton website, and none of those have helped, and every time I send them an email explaining this I just get linked back to the same pages on their website.

Their customer service outside the US is S*it! :mad:

I know have Mcaffee and zonealarm firewall.

Edit: there is no such thing as a "cutsomer" :rolleyes:

UK CARS
05-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Norton Anti Virus 2004 and some other free firewalls of the net, jus so them nasty pop ups and viruses keep out :D oh and that awful spam :rolleyes:

DarkPhenix
05-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Norton Antivirus 2004 Professional Edition and Norton Personal Firewall :) I like it..

Sweeney921
05-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Mcafee

GT500
05-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Norton, although it hasn't caught anything since I got Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware 6, and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.2 All three make for an unbeatable combo when updated daily (if available) :)

ace
05-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I was running Norton antivirus it slowed my PC down considerably, but I put up with that to be safe, till I got 2 Trojan’s and it didn’t catch them so I gave it the flick.
Now I run Ad-Aware 6, zone alarm pro and this http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
PS: the house call was the only one to find and get rid of the Trojan’s and it’s free
:cool:

Mustang
05-30-2004, 01:21 PM
I use Pc-cillin :)

johnnynumfiv
05-30-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't use any antivirus software, because I have a Mac, i'm not worried about viruses.

teiresias
03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
there are a lot of antivirus software out there. However I would say from my own standpoint, that a good antivirus needs to be very light, very complete when it comes to online protection. There are a lot of malware sites that can infect your websites with a lot of viruses and collect your data and files using spyware tools. So I guess there's quite a lot to tell. I've been using the latest version of ZenOK Free Antivirus (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/)and it's working for me.

thebrochureman
03-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I use McAfee, although AVG is good. But whats the point of this thread, its got nothing to do with cars, this is a car site.

Matra et Alpine
03-19-2011, 10:03 AM
^^ It's why we've a "Miscellaneous" so that forum members can help each other without folks having to go to a hundred forums :)

Microsoft Essentials ( as previously recommended ) is now on release 2 with more features and still free :)

EDIT: ZenOK, Is it still constantly trying to SELL you the backup solution ?
If you're geeky or serious about protection then watch the video before following random advice on internet to use security solutions ....
http://www.youtube.com/v/JkD_pTsEgYg
In fact, it's so bad I've removed the link from the original poster - it was borderline spam anyway :(

drakkie
03-21-2011, 05:40 AM
I use NONE. Never had a single problem in the 1.5 years I am using this notebook now. If you are just careful what you do (on the internet) my experience is that you should be fine and have money left for beer :)

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 05:42 AM
hmmm youi ARE running a firewall I hope ?
and how are you stopping scripts hidden in valid looking ads on web pages AND still getting a reasonable web experience ?

Homem de Gelo
03-21-2011, 06:10 AM
Off-topic, but related, how long does it take a virus to become outdated?

I did a backup on some stuff some months ago and I'm quite sure it was infected. I haven't touched it ever since but I'd like to do so eventually.

If I simply plug it in now, could I be sure the normal anti-virus here at work or at home would detect and deal with it?

pimento
03-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Not necessarily. I'd recommend caution if you do plug it in, disconnected from the internet and whatnot after making sure your virus definitions are up to date. As long as nothing autoruns when you plug it in you're probably ok, but can't say for sure.

Homem de Gelo
03-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Okay...

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Virus never become "out dated". The risk is always present and every decent AV software ADDS to the virus definitions and never discards old ones.

It is possible that the infection may still be "dangerous" and I'd recommend installing on to a clean system, check and extract the files you need and then re-install that clean system. I keep a machine just for this purpose for clients.

As Pimento says, with care you can reasonably restore the backup and tehn scan the content. JUST make sure you've rock solid AV protection on the machine you do this and be willing to restore it if it goes tits up. Preferably run two or more AV products against it. Not ideal but workable :)

drakkie
03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
hmmm youi ARE running a firewall I hope ?
and how are you stopping scripts hidden in valid looking ads on web pages AND still getting a reasonable web experience ?

The only firewall I have is the standard one that comes with Windows. Probably useless anyway. I do know that when I use the school network, it blocks some pages with a lot of crap on it. When the network works, that is..

My web experience is actually pretty decent I guess. I use Chrome now and it's really fast. Never noticed a single hick-up really. That's why I became a bit sceptic of this money-eating software. I am probably going to regret it one day, but i've been thinking this for two years now. I just re-install Windows once a year to clean my HDD or in this case upgrade to 7 Professional. My way-to-expensive notebook is running super-smooth all the time.

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Windows 7 firewall and anti-virus is now recognised as one of the leading ones :)
AND IT'S FREE :)
Not sue if the XP/Vista firewall updates were all compatible, but the Essentials is.
Chrome doesn't protect you on it's own :(

Fleet 500
03-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I use AVG anti-virus.

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2011, 05:01 PM
^^^ Used to too. But now keep it and Trend Micro as my second run ones if I suspect a virus and nothing is finding it. They all work slightly differently so chances are if oen doesn't spot it another one might :)

pimento
03-21-2011, 07:16 PM
Trend Micro have (had?) a free browser based virus scan called Housecall that was always good for cleaning up a system.

Fleet 500
03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
^^^ Used to too. But now keep it and Trend Micro as my second run ones if I suspect a virus and nothing is finding it. They all work slightly differently so chances are if oen doesn't spot it another one might :)
Yeah, I have heard it's a good idea to have two of them in case one doesn't catch a certain virus.

Matra et Alpine
03-22-2011, 02:39 AM
yep, but dont ever run 2 of them "live" as they nearly always interact and screw up your system performance :) Only ever have one "installed" and use the others live or online scan.

S.O.S
03-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Kaspersky, bought it for $40 3 user 2 year licence.

franfran
07-19-2011, 09:41 PM
what kind of anti virus software do you use? do you have any good anti virus software to recommend? any opinion on the free anti virus softwares that are available right now? currently i am using the free one from grisoft.
www.grisoft.com

That's the one I use, although as it's the free version it is limited in what it does, so I also use the free version of Lavasoft AdAware to take care of spyware and the free version of ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

It seems to do the job just as efficiently as something that you would pay good money for....

Matra et Alpine
07-20-2011, 01:08 AM
..... will keep "selling" the Microsoft Essentials, whcih is FREE :)

Now had another company that had a "kit of parts" of free solutions that ended up compromised and now on Essentials and tested it by doing the same actions that caught them before and it trapped it perfectly ! ( They foolishly had a USB drive used in an internet cafe in Malawi and plugged in on office laptop !! )

Took the opporuntity to educate AGAIN that anti-virus et al software is like a seat belt. You still have to drive safely and avoid risks :)

scrapcar
07-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Ive just switched to Kaspersky internet security 2012 had previous editions think it's the best.

jcp123
10-07-2012, 07:55 PM
None. I have a Mac :)

Surprised the virus guys haven't exploited Apples more. Eventually I am sure I'll have to get something. 3 years on though and that darn computer seems like it will never die. Viva la Macintosh.