PDA

View Full Version : Car Purchase: 10k budget

Rockefella
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Come up with the best car someone can buy for 10k.

Take into account:

- Price: 8,000 - 12,000 USD
- Insurance: Reasonable. Cars with high displacement V8's/V12's/400hp/etc need not apply
- Maintenance: Also reasonable
- Gas mileage: 20 or more mpg preferred, not a dealbreaker though
- Style: Car should look good. Feminine or teenracer cars are out: Miata, eclipse, Cobalt SS, Neon SRT4, etc.
- Preferred: Manual trans, Coupe, RWD. Again, this is preferred.. not a dealbreaker.

Basically if you haven't figured it out I want to buy a new (used) car. Entertain me

RacingManiac
08-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Spend more, go nuts...:D
Lancia : Delta HF Integrale 16v | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-CAR-one-few-titled-Integrales-US-/200628372207?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb66202ef&clk_rvr_id=247413741235)

f6fhellcat13
08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
4.6 Mustangs should be somewhere around that range, but I don't know about insurance and they're everywhere. RX-8s are also around that if you're willing to deal with all of the rotary's quirks. S2000s might just be getting that low, but I don't know if it's worth it if you have to encounter a lot of potholes and snow.

These are the pretty obvious choices, I guess, but they're pretty common, get passable mileage, and aren't too powerful.

Or...

Cobrafan427
08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
you could go pretty unique and try to find a Dodge Stealth. btw hellcat, idk how long you've had it but that Raikkonen quote is hilarious

Rockefella
08-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Spend more, go nuts...:D
Lancia : Delta HF Integrale 16v | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-CAR-one-few-titled-Integrales-US-/200628372207?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb66202ef&clk_rvr_id=247413741235)

Maintenance would be astronomical. Plus the value isn't there. I need a daily driver, not a garage toy. Awesome car though.

4.6 Mustangs should be somewhere around that range, but I don't know about insurance and they're everywhere. RX-8s are also around that if you're willing to deal with all of the rotary's quirks. S2000s might just be getting that low, but I don't know if it's worth it if you have to encounter a lot of potholes and snow.

Mustangs don't do it for me. Too dime a dozen. Rx-8 not a huge fan of. S2000 I like but it's a bit boy-racery. Getting somewhere though. I'm leaning more European.. German to be specific. Would be nice if it had some class and a good interior.

you could go pretty unique and try to find a Dodge Stealth.

Dude a Stealth? No way.. they sell for like 2k anyway. I can afford a bit more than that.

Kitdy
08-03-2011, 09:39 PM
E46 330 Ci, E36 coupe of some kind, 4th Gen Camaro, Stealth (as mentioned)/3000 GT (probably not for you), 300ZX, 2005-2009 Mustang GT.

Yeah, some have V8s but I don't think they are absolutely brutal on gas (if you drive them well). I would lean towards a well maintained 4th generation Camaro without delving deeper into these cars.

Budget fun!

f6fhellcat13
08-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks cobrafan :)

Mustangs don't do it for me. Too dime a dozen. Rx-8 not a huge fan of. S2000 I like but it's a bit boy-racery. Getting somewhere though. I'm leaning more European.. German to be specific. Would be nice if it had some class and a good interior.

How old?

When you say that, I think 3-Series. Non-M E46s or M 36s and 30s can probably be had for that money. If you want to throw gas mileage out the window and pay the insurance for a 400hp V8, you can probably stretch that budget to an E39 M5.

EDIT: Do you like Jags?

clutch-monkey
08-03-2011, 10:02 PM
plenty of nice modded E30's for that budget. one that's sorted with an engine swap already.

Ferrer
08-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Alfa Romeo Milano.

Discuss.

Cyco
08-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Holden Pontiac GTO/G35. or any BMW 5 series

henk4
08-04-2011, 06:56 AM
do you envisage any practical or opportunistic use for rear seats?

Rockefella
08-04-2011, 07:08 AM
do you envisage any practical or opportunistic use for rear seats?

I don't have kids or a need for seating so I wouldn't rule out a two seater. Besides, I don't plan on owning this car long-term. The insurance rate for male drivers drops at 25 so I've got 2 years to waste away before I get something nice for myself.

Car doesn't have to be rare or super high performance, I already experienced that with the Bonneville. Just a good car that I can be proud of calling my own. I was thinking something along the lines of a 5 series, A6/S4, WRX, etc.

NSXType-R
08-04-2011, 07:21 AM
Maybe a 350Z? Although they might be beat to crap for $10,000.

Pontiac GTO would be nice, but not good on gas at all probably.

Maybe an Audi TT? Girly car, but definitely European.

henk4
08-04-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't have kids or a need for seating so I wouldn't rule out a two seater. Besides, I don't plan on owning this car long-term. The insurance rate for male drivers drops at 25 so I've got 2 years to waste away before I get something nice for myself.

Car doesn't have to be rare or super high performance, I already experienced that with the Bonneville. Just a good car that I can be proud of calling my own. I was thinking something along the lines of a 5 series, A6/S4, WRX, etc.

how about a recent 6-cylinder Mustang. Does that fall in the price range? (I have no idea about second hand prices in the US, only that they are considerably lower than over here)
Of course you first have to tell which cars you would NOT be proud of to own...from your stated preferences I almost feel that all US cars would fall under that category.:)

Ferrer
08-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Re-reading the thread...

When you say that, I think 3-Series. Non-M E46s or M 36s and 30s can probably be had for that money. If you want to throw gas mileage out the window and pay the insurance for a 400hp V8, you can probably stretch that budget to an E39 M5.

EDIT: Do you like Jags?
I doubt you'll have a good M3 E30 for ten grand.

Also personal experience tells me that cars that were expensive will be expensive to run, even if they can be had for cheap.

Having said that, a Jag is always appealing.

Rockefella
08-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Maybe a 350Z? Although they might be beat to crap for $10,000.

Pontiac GTO would be nice, but not good on gas at all probably.

Maybe an Audi TT? Girly car, but definitely European.

GTO is a good idea. The depreciation on that car was huge and it's a fine automobile. Plus it's a Pontiac so I keep the tradition alive. edit: Forgot it has a 5.7L V8.. that might be a problem

Audi TT - no way

Re-reading the thread...

I doubt you'll have a good M3 E30 for ten grand.

Also personal experience tells me that cars that were expensive will be expensive to run, even if they can be had for cheap.

Having said that, a Jag is always appealing.

Not much interest in the M-cars, the value isn't there for me. I'd be perfectly happy with the average 3 or 5 series. Maintenance, insurance, and cost are all better.

Will have to look into a Jag. Gonna poke around autotrader and such

NSXType-R
08-04-2011, 08:16 AM
GTO is a good idea. The depreciation on that car was huge and it's a fine automobile. Plus it's a Pontiac so I keep the tradition alive. edit: Forgot it has a 5.7L V8.. that might be a problem

Audi TT - no way

Not much interest in the M-cars, the value isn't there for me. I'd be perfectly happy with the average 3 or 5 series. Maintenance, insurance, and cost are all better.

Will have to look into a Jag. Gonna poke around autotrader and such

I completely forgot about Jaguars, an old XJR would do very nicely. They depreciate like a falling brick.

Just be careful about expensive repairs.

Rockefella
08-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I completely forgot about Jaguars, an old XJR would do very nicely. They depreciate like a falling brick.

Just be careful about expensive repairs.

I like the XJ but I don't think it's very good for someone my age. If I was in my 40's or 50's.. maybe

john14
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
I like the XJ but I don't think it's very good for someone my age. If I was in my 40's or 50's.. maybe

Rocke, all the best with your decision. I would like an XJ as well... in 20 or 30 years time. :D

Sledgehammer
08-04-2011, 11:08 AM
How about a Mazda speed6? With 60k you can find them for under 14k. Good amour of luxury, and decent fun. Or a wrx would be my suggestion.

Ferrer
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Rocke, all the best with your decision. I would like an XJ as well... in 20 or 30 years time. :D
I want an XJR now.

Maybe an XKR (or standard XK) makes you look less than 87 years old...

Rockefella
08-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I think I'll head over to some used car lots tomorrow and over the weekend. The prices online aren't tempting me much. It's a buyers market right now for cars so I can probably snag something nice on the cheap.

I love negotiating prices too. Gonna cop dat ish at bottom dollar

Rockefella
08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
XKR

http://www.carforums.net/reviews/makes/pictures/jaguar12.jpg

XJ

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2003/11/11/172610.1-lg.jpg

Quite a difference

RacingManiac
08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I think you can find a Integra Type R for that money.....not RWD, but will be pretty fun, and frugal....

Ferrer
08-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I think you can find a Integra Type R for that money.....not RWD, but will be pretty fun, and frugal....
Mk I Cooper S?

Cobrafan427
08-04-2011, 07:13 PM
2nd gen. Mazda RX-7? Pontiac Fiero?

kingofthering
08-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Yeah, but 0-stolen for that car almost equals its 0-60 time.

So Rocke, how's about a Lexus IS300? You can find one with a 5-speed stick. Also, have you thought about a CLK? They've gone down in price.

thebrochureman
08-05-2011, 03:49 AM
I don't know if they sell them in the US but what about a BMW Z4, i know in the uk you can buy one for under 10k.

NSXType-R
08-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, but 0-stolen for that car almost equals its 0-60 time.

So Rocke, how's about a Lexus IS300? You can find one with a 5-speed stick. Also, have you thought about a CLK? They've gone down in price.

An old IS would be very nice indeed.

And yes, my uncle had two Integra GSRs stolen. One was a manual, the other was an automatic and they weren't even Type Rs.

I actually never liked the XK until the newest generation, it always looked like a catfish with down syndrome to me.

fisetdavid26
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm looking for something nice myself, but I'm really not on the same page as you budget wise, I'm trying to find the best possible deal for less than $2k. I'm going to work by bike right now but that won't last this autumn and when the winter arrives. So far I've found a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, 2000, it's got heated everything which is fantastic in the Siberian winters we've got here, and it's 4WD obviously, and it's reasonably powerful, enough to have fun. I'm hoping this thing will last 2 years while I save up for something really really nice.

I've seen plenty of Impreza WRX's in very good shape for $10k, and you could be looking at STI's (or STDs since you're in NJ) for about $16k, under that they are obviously very beaten. Dunno how the winters are in NJ but I know I'll be enjoying 4WD.

Rockefella
08-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I'm looking for something nice myself, but I'm really not on the same page as you budget wise, I'm trying to find the best possible deal for less than $2k. I'm going to work by bike right now but that won't last this autumn and when the winter arrives. So far I've found a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT, 2000, it's got heated everything which is fantastic in the Siberian winters we've got here, and it's 4WD obviously, and it's reasonably powerful, enough to have fun. I'm hoping this thing will last 2 years while I save up for something really really nice.

I've seen plenty of Impreza WRX's in very good shape for $10k, and you could be looking at STI's (or STDs since you're in NJ) for about $16k, under that they are obviously very beaten. Dunno how the winters are in NJ but I know I'll be enjoying 4WD.

Didn't you have an aveo?

f6fhellcat13
08-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Rocke annd Fiz posting in the same thread? All this thread needs is Quiggs after some Captain.

Kitdy
08-05-2011, 04:48 PM
Didn't you have an aveo?

That was his parent's car that he drove a lot...

Like me and "my" Shitty Golf.

Fizmaster is out on his own now I think.

Ferrer
08-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Rocke annd Fiz posting in the same thread? All this thread needs is Quiggs after some Captain.
It's like a sort of a revival indeed...

Rockefella
08-07-2011, 09:20 PM
slowly but surely my friends

im gonna open up msn messenger and start trolling people that are on the list

i got sauc3 really angry a while back. he had no idea who i was

Kitdy
08-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I deleted you of MSN as you were never on, or it was some spam person at one point I think. You can add me if you want or send me a message.

What brought you back from the dead?

Rockefella
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM
What brought you back from the dead?

Boredom at work

Kitdy
08-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Boredom at work

As good a reason as any.

What do you do to make coin? Is it at all related to your degree?

Will you be able to afford an Auto-X-Bonne as your second car to tear up the Jersey autocross scene?

Rockefella
08-08-2011, 06:56 AM
As good a reason as any.

What do you do to make coin? Is it at all related to your degree?

Will you be able to afford an Auto-X-Bonne as your second car to tear up the Jersey autocross scene?

IT: system administrator

I need to find my own place before I blow too much money on wheels

Ferrer
08-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Boredom at work
I can relate to that.

Kitdy
08-08-2011, 07:01 AM
IT: system administrator

I need to find my own place before I blow too much money on wheels

To be fair, the Auto-X-Bonne was free.

I can relate to that.

See, I am waiting to see if I have work or not.

Consider yourselves lucky to be graduated and working. I am a bum that should have a degree but instead currently has a half ass job and has to go to school in September.

Rockefella
08-08-2011, 07:04 AM
To be fair, the Auto-X-Bonne was free.

Consider yourselves lucky to be graduated and working. I am a bum that should have a degree but instead currently has a half ass job and has to go to school in September.

I haven't actually graduated yet.

Ferrer
08-08-2011, 07:07 AM

I'm not complaining, just pointing out that August is definitely a slow month.

fisetdavid26
08-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Didn't you have an aveo?
What he said:

That was his parent's car that he drove a lot...

Like me and "my" Shitty Golf.

Fizmaster is out on his own now I think.

Plus it's the most hateful thing I've ever driven. I know I gave it a good review at first, but f*** it, it's terrible. These days I ride in my dad's new Slobalt, a '10 LT fully equipped, only 8,300 km on the clock so far, 90% of which I've done myself since my dad rarely ever drives it. As Cameron said though I live on my own so I only have it now and then, so I need something I can use all the time. Will probably borrow the Slo for long road trips and keep the Scooby or whatever else I buy just to go to work, buy groceries, etc.

Ferrer
08-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Plus it's the most hateful thing I've ever driven. I know I gave it a good review at first, but f*** it, it's terrible. These days I ride in my dad's new Slobalt, a '10 LT fully equipped, only 8,300 km on the clock so far, 90% of which I've done myself since my dad rarely ever drives it. As Cameron said though I live on my own so I only have it now and then, so I need something I can use all the time. Will probably borrow the Slo for long road trips and keep the Scooby or whatever else I buy just to go to work, buy groceries, etc.
Wouldn't you want the big powerful car for long trips and the small one for city driving?

fisetdavid26
08-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Wouldn't you want the big powerful car for long trips and the small one for city driving?
It's all about reliability for now...

Ferrer
08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
It's all about reliability for now...
Yup I should've known better... at least it had the decency of dying when we arrived.

Kitdy
08-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Ferrer, it is a dick thing to say but I am glad the Audi died. The universe was off kilter for the few months that you owned that.

Isn't it time for you to make the "petrolhead" purchase and get an Alfa?

Ferrer
08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Ferrer, it is a dick thing to say but I am glad the Audi died. The universe was off kilter for the few months that you owned that.

Isn't it time for you to make the "petrolhead" purchase and get an Alfa?
Yeah, I guess balance has been restored.

A couple of months ago I almost bought one of these:

Alfa Romeo 75 75 2.0 4p. en Barcelona - Segundamano.es - 27273077 (http://www.segundamano.es/barcelona/alfa-romeo-75-75-20-4p/a27273077/?ca=8_s&st=a&c=4)

I was going to see it, but the seller wasn't able to make, they I ran out of money and then the car was sold...

I suppose there's another opportunity now...