PDA

View Full Version : I have honda ballade/4door civic

guyt_x
06-17-2003, 01:09 AM
I am wanting to beef the performance up on my honda ballade
which is a 4 door civic for americans and others who dont get the ballade model

its a 2000 model with an 1800 motor
besides the k&n racing filter and wildcat free flow exhaust system what else can I do to the motor with out hurting my pocket?

Kudosdude
06-17-2003, 05:40 AM
Which 1800 engine?

I think your best bet for a car of this ilk (am assuming it is a daily driver), is to find out who makes the best tyres/pads for your car. Unless you want to spend a lot more money on it (not recommended if you want to sell it on again), you'll just kill its resale value.

Anyway you may wish to check this link (http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com) for tuning your motor.

(P.S. Why did you choose this car?)

guyt_x
06-17-2003, 07:29 AM
my plan is use the car for daily use but to also try keep the resale value.
all engine mode I do will only be bolt on accesories so when it comes time to sell it all the extra's come off.

I still have the original mags and exhaust.

I choose this car due to the fact it is th fastest 1800 in its class and comes with all the trimings eg power windows, leather seats,air con and airbags

and does a 0-100kph in 8.6 secs this is a good starting point.

and it has a pretty good suspension

this is pretty quick for a std 4 door production car for its price.
I got it for about R70 000.

1 rand = 7 dollars

Kudosdude
06-20-2003, 06:59 AM
You will be wasting your money by spending lots of little bits in your pursuit of power. Your best bet is to save a wad of cash and get yourself a supercharger conversion. If you keep all your original bits that come off, come sale time you can put them all back in. Be warned though because depending on your next car the supercharger conversion won't swap over.

You cannot get decent grunt for nothing, unless your car has been de-tuned by the manufacturer (restricting airflow through airbox for example).

You've got to decide what you want to do.

Your other option is Nos but that's not for everyone (though it can be reliable no matter what they show in films).

Egg Nog
06-21-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by guyt_x
I got it for about R70 000.

1 rand = 7 dollars

You definately did the conversion wrong :) Nobody spends $490,000 on a Honda Civic :)

What he meant was...
1 Dollar = 7 Rand

guyt_x
06-23-2003, 12:45 AM
silly me

MKielbasa
06-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Forced induction or nitrous oxide are the only things that will get you some decent power gains.

A 1.8L will never really maintain drivability and produce high power with out some kind of 'power adder'

guyt_x
06-23-2003, 11:00 PM
I would be happy just getting it down to 7secs flat.

and maybe a true tope end of 220kph - 230kph

MKielbasa
06-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by guyt_x
I would be happy just getting it down to 7secs flat.

and maybe a true tope end of 220kph - 230kph

Throw on a full intake.
Add headers and a 2.5" exhaust.
Swap your flywheel for a lighter one.
You'll probably have to swap both of your cam's out for a more aggressive mid/high RPM cam profile.

That should do it. The top end might be a little unrealistic, at least when I compare to what the Canadian 1.8L's are doing.

guyt_x
06-24-2003, 10:49 PM
tanks

blazinjohny
06-29-2003, 02:52 AM
"American cars > are there any cars that can match up?"
"American cars > big engine and nothing else"
"cos american cars still cant handle worth shit."
"cars are normally crap cos they are american."
"a 2.0 litre Subaru will eat your gass guzzling V8 tanks."

You're making these kinds of comments, and you have a Civic!!!

fastbird94
06-29-2003, 12:03 PM
LOL. I knew he drove a POS civic by the way he was talking.

guyt_x
06-29-2003, 11:07 PM
the import duties on subaru's into south africa are still very high so a subaru sti would cost me about half a million rand. um thats about $71 000

and honda's look nice so bite me

fastbird94
06-30-2003, 07:25 AM
I will agree SOME hondas are nice.

guyt_x
06-30-2003, 10:54 PM
fastbird94

cali
01-08-2012, 06:47 AM
Which 1800 engine?

I think your best bet for a car of this ilk (am assuming it is a daily driver), is to find out who makes the best tyres/pads for your car. Unless you want to spend a lot more money on it (not recommended if you want to sell it on again), you'll just kill its resale value.

Anyway you may wish to check this link (http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com) for tuning your motor.

(P.S. Why did you choose this car?)

wow that is a very helpful link. it is still working up to now. well thanks whether you still alive or not. lol damn good old threads.