PDA

View Full Version : Gt3 Drifting Tips!!!!!

foto_choppa
05-29-2004, 09:31 PM
this is the best page i have seen for tips on drifting in GT3, it has all the set ups of the good drift cars. lots of tips and other sh!t like that

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/gran_turismo_3_drifting.txt

my fav car has to be the R32 skyline gts-t its the best to drift with :D

Z0RR0
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Any car with Simulation Tires will do for me!!! LOL

foto_choppa
05-29-2004, 09:43 PM
any car?????

try drifting with a mini cooper 1.3 hahahaha i'd luv 3 c that :D

painterr
05-29-2004, 10:28 PM
any car?????

try drifting with a mini cooper 1.3 hahahaha i'd luv 3 c that :D

Hey foto choppa what would you give me if I get it to drift and post the picks!!! :D :D :D ;)

foto_choppa
05-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey foto choppa what would you give me if I get it to drift and post the picks!!! :D :D :D ;)
yea, is just doing that its funny, i got it backwards a few times-really sideways :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-30-2004, 10:22 AM
just turn off traction and stability control, practically any car slides if you brake into a corner hard.

ps. thats not really a drift, just a slide, actual drifts require the driver/player to maintain loss of traction through a controlled process, thus loosing very little speed while maintaining the optimum driving line

meh, i dunno why drifting all that hyped up, you dont go as fast as if you grip and stay on the line, ruin your tires, and has no practical use on actual roads since your front wheels get all the grip

foto_choppa
05-30-2004, 10:01 PM
yea but with these setting and cars you can maintain a drift at almost full throttle.
and the fact that you said'drifting is slower than staying to the racing line'(kinda wat u sed)-its not always true, sometimes you can come out of corners faster as you dont loose much speed when you drift :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-31-2004, 05:31 PM
yea but with these setting and cars you can maintain a drift at almost full throttle.
and the fact that you said'drifting is slower than staying to the racing line'(kinda wat u sed)-its not always true, sometimes you can come out of corners faster as you dont loose much speed when you drift :D

thats physically impossible, litterally, the laws of physics states you can't. the fastest (acceleration wise) you can go depends on the conditions of the track and your car. you can only go as fast as the traction you have available. if you exceed or do not reach this point you cannot optimize your acceleration. when you slide ie drift you are in a process of controlled oversteer but any power you apply will not be transferred to the ground (you could be at 50 or 100 % throttle it wouldnt matter).

i dont know how the game's physics engine works but they have claimed its lifelike enough to learn how to drive in so i'd expect it to conform with these conditions. grip driving no matter how dull is the fastest way to take a corner. only in very specialized turns will the drift angle be enough to put you in such a position that you can turn faster than the other guy, mainly these would be either really tight hairpins or low traction conditions where the drift puts you in a position to start accelerating early than if you were gripping. the only real world conditions (or game condition) where this would be effective would be the rally stages were there is very little traction

foto_choppa
05-31-2004, 09:21 PM
im taliking about in the game not real life :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-01-2004, 06:49 PM
im taliking about in the game not real life :D

the game's physics engine is built to emulate real life conditions. the only thing you can't do is flip the car. it's not designed like initial D arcade games where u can gain speed going through a hairpin. there are only a few exceptions in the game where drifting would be advantagous over grip

foto_choppa
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
exactly, youre not supposed to drift every corner. :D the game wasnt designed to drift. :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-02-2004, 05:02 PM
agreed :D

my point was you wernt suppose to drift ANY corner, since a succesful drift requires a negative camber on the front wheels while the rear stay at 0. this suspension setting makes it virtually impossible to grip since the rear will almost always swing out due to the lack of traction.

i know that someone really good (real life or games) can probably initiate a loss of traction and balance a drift through the use of throttle and brake alone but i've yet to meet someone like this, or even heard of one for that matter

foto_choppa
06-02-2004, 06:22 PM
agreed :D

my point was you wernt suppose to drift ANY corner, since a succesful drift requires a negative camber on the front wheels while the rear stay at 0. this suspension setting makes it virtually impossible to grip since the rear will almost always swing out due to the lack of traction.

i know that someone really good (real life or games) can probably initiate a loss of traction and balance a drift through the use of throttle and brake alone but i've yet to meet someone like this, or even heard of one for that matter
exactly
:D

Hawk_Unlimited
06-02-2004, 06:23 PM
true :D

painterr
06-02-2004, 08:57 PM
the race we got going now on the Tahiti Maze I didnt drift one time in any of the corners!! and I am pulling the fastest time so far. I have proven over and over that drifting slows you up in the corners. As far as I am concern drifting is just for show and thrills. But for speed you need to keep a straight line as much as possible. I have time after time proven that a streight line is better. i have taken a corner in a drift and then come back and raced my ghost and drove a streight line and blew away my drift line. That is the best way to test to see if it is faster unless you have a sharkport and I can send you one of my replays and you can race against my ghost to see which is faster.

foto_choppa
06-03-2004, 11:15 PM
the race we got going now on the Tahiti Maze I didnt drift one time in any of the corners!! and I am pulling the fastest time so far. I have proven over and over that drifting slows you up in the corners. As far as I am concern drifting is just for show and thrills. But for speed you need to keep a straight line as much as possible. I have time after time proven that a streight line is better. i have taken a corner in a drift and then come back and raced my ghost and drove a streight line and blew away my drift line. That is the best way to test to see if it is faster unless you have a sharkport and I can send you one of my replays and you can race against my ghost to see which is faster.
i dont want to contridict you but i have raced my m8 on iLINK he was racing (hes better than me) and i was drifting, same car diff settings on complex string- i bet him by at least 16 seconds, then we switvhed over i lost he was drifting and won...so.... i guess its what track you do it on :)

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-04-2004, 02:54 PM
i dont want to contridict you but i have raced my m8 on iLINK he was racing (hes better than me) and i was drifting, same car diff settings on complex string- i bet him by at least 16 seconds, then we switvhed over i lost he was drifting and won...so.... i guess its what track you do it on :)

no... if u were both playing with the same suspension settings its gonna go to
a) whichever style those settings are leaned towards (if ur playing with drift settings obviously grip is gonna be slower, and vice versa)
b) whoever is better at the game

you gotta play urself with ur ghost, thats the only way you can get a fair assesment. not only that you must do repeated trials to counteract the probability of getting an above/below average time. this is the reason why most road tests of cars by magazines or shows like topgear and road & track do multiple trials and take the average of the best 3. same logic

foto_choppa
06-04-2004, 06:54 PM
no... if u were both playing with the same suspension settings its gonna go to
a) whichever style those settings are leaned towards (if ur playing with drift settings obviously grip is gonna be slower, and vice versa)
b) whoever is better at the game

you gotta play urself with ur ghost, thats the only way you can get a fair assesment. not only that you must do repeated trials to counteract the probability of getting an above/below average time. this is the reason why most road tests of cars by magazines or shows like topgear and road & track do multiple trials and take the average of the best 3. same logic
oner car was setup for drift and the other was set up for race, we switched cars and there was only about 1 sec in between them-the car was a rx7 if i remeber right :D

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-04-2004, 08:20 PM
so techincally if u beat him by 16 seconds when u were drifting while he only beat u by 1 ... doesnt that make u better than him?

meh maybe he was having a bad day, you can't make a conclusion based on one trial. again you were playing your friend not your own time, that quadrupples the probability of getting an outlier lap time

foto_choppa
06-04-2004, 11:13 PM
so techincally if u beat him by 16 seconds when u were drifting while he only beat u by 1 ... doesnt that make u better than him?

meh maybe he was having a bad day, you can't make a conclusion based on one trial. again you were playing your friend not your own time, that quadrupples the probability of getting an outlier lap time
i guess :D