PDA

View Full Version : Three spectacular custom bodied cars built for ladies ...

Wouter Melissen
01-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Traditionally the automobile has been the object of desire for men but we have found three spectacular exceptions to that rule. Certainly one of the most famous of these is the Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS Touring 'Flying Star' Spider, which was created for Italian model Josette Pozzo. A loyal Touring customer, she had just won a major concours with a coupe bodied 6C 1750 GT when she requested the Milanese company to build her a new car for the 1931 Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este. The result is the legendary 'Flying Star' Spider, which shares its design with a similar Fiat and Isotta Fraschini. The most recognisable features are the split fenders and the all-white finish. The spectacular machine was very well received and accordingly was awarded the coveted 'Coppa d'Oro'. Many moons later, the meticulously restored machine returned to Villa d'Este and was again awarded prices. A few years earlier, it was also shown at Pebble Beach where Alfa Romeo was the featured marque. We captured the unique 'Flying Star' at both occasions, which has resulted in this 18-shot gallery.
At last year's Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, two Murphy Convertible Coupes were shown that were built at around the same time and both for lady owners. The first was one of the Murphy-bodied Duesenberg later starred alongside Rogers and Fred Astaire in 'The Gay Divorcee'. In recent years the 'Duesey' has been carefully restored to its original condition.
This Rolls-Royce Phantom I Murphy Convertible Coupe was ordered as a Christmas gift by Alfred Chapin for his wife Gloria. Almost matching the cost of the complete chassis, the body was completely personalised with Gloria Chapin's initials prominently featured throughout the car and a gearshift knob that contained a picture of the couple's children. Following a complete restoration, this one-off Phantom took top honours in the Rolls-Royce class.

Enjoy the links:

1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 GS Touring 'Flying Star' Spider - Images, Specifications and Information (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/3143/Alfa-Romeo-6C-1750-GS-Touring--Flying-Star--Spider.html)

1929 Duesenberg J Murphy Convertible Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4655/Duesenberg-J-Murphy-Convertible-Coupe.html)

1926 - 1931 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Murphy Convertible Coupe - Images, Specifications and Information (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/5038/Rolls-Royce-Phantom-I-Murphy-Convertible-Coupe.html)

jcp123
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I've often found that cars ordered by ladies have some of the most pleasing lines and appointments, and these certainly don't disappoint.

csl177
01-23-2012, 07:39 PM
I've seen two of these cars and they're stunning. The Chapin Rolls is the least feminine, even in yellow... it's beautiful, but a very large car.
So is Ginger Rogers' Duesenberg, but somehow in white it's mass is lessened. We're going to Amelia... looking forward to seeing the car in person. But of the three, the Josette Pozzo Alfa makes me KNOW it belongs to a woman. Everything about it is purposeful, yet it is so lithe, so pretty with every detail finished in white it could only have belonged to a woman of taste and sporting (not in the archaic usage) intentions.

Nice articles, Wouter!

pimento
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Certainly they make a nice change from a Toyota Yaris.