PDA

View Full Version : Moving to...Austria?!?

jcp123
02-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, the wifey and I have been toying with the idea of moving to Austria to the extent that I have actually started looking into it. I am gaining a fair idea of some of the processes involved. IIRC, there's no Austrians here, but has anyone had any experience with it? Is it difficult? How about finding a job? Of course, I'd leave all the cars behind but the Mustang, I am having trouble finding what exactly would need to be modified in order for her to be legal over there, though. Any tips? Resources?

henk4
02-09-2012, 09:51 AM
what a change, and most importantly why and why Austria specifically? Do you speak any German? Not to discourage you, but some more background info might be required to assess the feasibility of your considerations. First contact point would be the Austrian embassy in Washington, I suppose.

jcp123
02-09-2012, 09:59 AM
what a change, and most importantly why and why Austria specifically? Do you speak any German? Not to discourage you, but some more background info might be required to assess the feasibility of your considerations. First contact point would be the Austrian embassy in Washington, I suppose.

I do speak German, and I have family there (my Mom is from Austria and though she has lived in the States since 1972, she is still an Austrian citizen). Frankly, the European lifestyle appeals to us all the more as I see the US continue to fall apart. I honestly don't have much faith left in where my native country is headed, which 5 years ago would have been unthinkable to me, but seems more and more apparent. Also, with our little daughter and planning another one, the education and chance to raise kids over there begins to sound more and more appealing. Euro-crisis notwithstanding, it seems, at least on the surface, a more appealing proposition. We're travel nuts so the idea of being able to pop over to Amsterdam or Venice or Porto for a quick trip holds amazing appeal, let alone being near other such "exotic" places as Turkey, Morocco, etc. And of course I'd get to go to Goodwood :D Our other choices mostly consist of moving near the wife's family in upstate New York state or moving to Washington, DC (a place I dearly love). I have a 4-year university degree, so I can support myself, which is (rightly so) an area that's scrutinized. I'd just rather work to live, as opposed to being here where you live to work.

EDIT: I suppose it's worth mentioning where the idea first came from: I have been craving a connection with my Austrian roots. Having lived here my whole life, I am pretty thoroughly American and have connected to my native American roots as well, but with only brief visits to my family (the longest was a month), I have never had that kinship with that part of my own history to the same depth.

henk4
02-09-2012, 10:24 AM
OK, it seems like you already meet a lot of preconditions. Perhaps the best is to check what immigration arrangement/treaties there are between the USA and Austria. As far as I know Austria seems to be doing relativey well in the Euro crisis, with the economy not in such a bad shape, but I am not an expert on Austria.

RacingManiac
02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I am sure job prospect has to do with what your field and education is too. Working in engineering for automotive sector in Michigan there are a lot of engineering consulting firms are Austrian/German firms(FEV, AVL...etc) with Michigan offices(and are hiring). So I am guessing they are probably doing pretty good in their native country also.

jcp123
02-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Does the Schengen Agreement mostly pertain to internal movement, or are there parts of it which deal with non-EU-member citizens as well? My understanding is that this is a pact within the EU?

Unfortunately I am not in engineering, which is what I'd pursue if I did it all over again...either civil or mechanical.

henk4
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Does the Schengen Agreement mostly pertain to internal movement, or are there parts of it which deal with non-EU-member citizens as well? My understanding is that this is a pact within the EU?

Unfortunately I am not in engineering, which is what I'd pursue if I did it all over again...either civil or mechanical.

Schengen removes the internal border controls between the subscribing countries, so you can travel without interruption. The UK is not a member so they stop you at the border.
And yes, engineers are in demand.....

NSXType-R
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Wow, that's a significant move.

Best of luck to you then, I have no idea how to immigrate. :D

Matra et Alpine
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
^^^ That's OK, you only have to think on how to EMigrate.
Love the English language :( :(

jcp123
02-09-2012, 12:00 PM

I didn't want to say it. So glad you did! :p

RacingManiac
02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
And yes, engineers are in demand.....

The only thing for US bachelor degree people is that I think we may well be under qualified over there. Not sure if its the norm over in EU but all the EU people I've run into typically have also education in their field beyond just 4 years bachelor level university education. I think talking to the TU Graz people at Formula SAE their basic degree program is 7 years....

jcp123
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
The only thing for US bachelor degree people is that I think we may well be under qualified over there. Not sure if its the norm over in EU but all the EU people I've run into typically have also education in their field beyond just 4 years bachelor level university education. I think talking to the TU Graz people at Formula SAE their basic degree program is 7 years....

Though you're the first one to voice it in all the resources I've seen, I have had the same concern. Most students over there at least are shunted to a vocational program and apprenticeship after their secondary schooling. Still, a command of English and German seems like it'd be a powerful tool, and a BS still beats the pathetic US high school diploma...(damn I sound like such a US-hater in this thread :eek: ). My best bet would likely be self-employment, esp. if I can get into rental real estate, a field my wife has had extensive experience in, and I have had a good grounding in so far (her parents left us in charge of their 7 rental properties). In the interim I'd have to get by in some mid-level jobs.

As mentioned earlier, another possibility is Rochester, NY, not only because her sisters and nephews/nieces live there, but also because it's a buyers' market for 5+ unit rental properties. Two properties there with 5 units each could provide a modest living, and if I have a job and pay them down, in 10-15 years we could practically retire with enough cash flow to travel...not lavishly, but that's not our style anyway.

blingbling
02-09-2012, 01:06 PM
austria stopped being important after 1918

RacingManiac
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Though you're the first one to voice it in all the resources I've seen, I have had the same concern. Most students over there at least are shunted to a vocational program and apprenticeship after their secondary schooling. Still, a command of English and German seems like it'd be a powerful tool, and a BS still beats the pathetic US high school diploma...

Maybe it's the people I've run into, but everyone that I know who are from their all have pretty good command of English language....English education is not lacking in Germany or Austria AFAIK, maybe in France where they are pretty snooty about it...

jcp123
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Maybe it's the people I've run into, but everyone that I know who are from their all have pretty good command of English language....English education is not lacking in Germany or Austria AFAIK, maybe in France where they are pretty snooty about it...

True though few will have a native command of it.

whiteballz
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
I read the thread title as Australia haha.

Sounds like an adventure. Who doesn't love a little spice?

Kitdy
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Rochester! Just across the lake.

I don't hear great things.

What did you major in?

Kitdy
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I am sure job prospect has to do with what your field and education is too. Working in engineering for automotive sector in Michigan there are a lot of engineering consulting firms are Austrian/German firms(FEV, AVL...etc) with Michigan offices(and are hiring). So I am guessing they are probably doing pretty good in their native country also.

Mr. Stronach has an arm of Magna (Steyr) located in Austria.

You do anything with Magna at all?

NSXType-R
02-09-2012, 03:49 PM

I didn't want to say it. So glad you did! :p

Bah, you guys... :p

f6fhellcat13
02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
That is quite the move! It sounds pretty drastic, but I applaud your courage.

Rochester! ...I don't hear great things.

Indeed, upstate/western New-York accents are pretty grating, especially in women. No offense to your wife intended, jcp.:p

Hell, on that note, I prefer Australian accents to Austrian, so maybe you should humor whiteballz' mistake.

Kitdy
02-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Yeah, the accents are my least favourite of all in the world, and the economy is not good.

On a woman, it's a deal breaker basically.

jcp123
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
That is quite the move! It sounds pretty drastic, but I applaud your courage.

Indeed, upstate/western New-York accents are pretty grating, especially in women. No offense to your wife intended, jcp.:p

Hell, on that note, I prefer Australian accents to Austrian, so maybe you should humor whiteballz' mistake.

None taken...It's not at the top of my list, though there are some advantages.

Australia would be neat...it's kind of like the US, only on the wrong hemisphere :P seriously, though it's a gorgeous place with a great lifestyle as well.

whiteballz
02-09-2012, 06:31 PM
We're in brilliant shape too.

You should come down and live a life of manly things.

RacingManiac
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Mr. Stronach has an arm of Magna (Steyr) located in Austria.

You do anything with Magna at all?

Nope, though I did work for Magna in my internship year...

jcp123
02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah I've heard you guys are going like gangbusters on the backs of resource mining. Get that money where y'all can!

I've been practicing my German all night :D

Kitdy
02-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah I've heard you guys are going like gangbusters on the backs of resource mining. Get that money where y'all can!

I've been practicing my German all night :D

They're like us in that way. We have a bit less Uranium than they do, but a LOT more oil.

Cobrafan427
02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I've always been attracted to Europe and it's lifestyle but i've also always been attracted to Australia and it's people. That's a tough choice but it seems like you're set with Austria and have done most of your research, my best advice would be to go to wherever you would be happiest and most financially stable at the same time

jcp123
02-13-2012, 05:01 PM
She got cold feet on the idea. Too bad, I would have loved to roam on the weekends to explore the hidden gardens of Paris, meander through the canals of Venice, hike up the Grossglockner or Krimmler Wasserfaelle, be able to get Stiegl Bier...heck, just getting fresh bread and meat everyday would almost make it worth it...

...damn :(

I still don't really want to consider living in the Northeast.

whiteballz
02-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Then move to Australia..

You speak the language, and our country isn't quite so ****ed up.

jcp123
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Probably the best selection of cars on the planet too...everything from diesel fuel-sippers to rip-roaring V8 muscle cars (OK, gotta give the Falcon XR6 credit too...turbo six). Plus the weather's great. I'd pick Perth since the climate's the same as my native California :D

pimento
02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Perth has the best weather of the major cities, but can be a little lacking in employment options - either there's nothing there or you have to know everyone in the industry to get in. Unless it's mining related, at which point that's the best place to be. You'd best research your chosen field and make sure there's something there for you beforehand.

Cyco
02-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Perth can be a touch on the insular side...

Weather is nice though

Cyco
02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
If Austria does come back onto the radar have a talk to these guys: Henley Partners (https://www.henleyglobal.com/) they may be able to help make it a smoother transition.

john14
02-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Perth can be a touch on the insular side...

Weather is nice though

I have never been to Western Australia but I have heard many people say this.

pimento
02-19-2012, 04:16 AM
I have never been to Western Australia but I have heard many people say this.

It's true... the weather is fantastic.

hodge
03-03-2012, 07:46 AM
all the best and enjoy the stay in Australia

jcp123
10-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Still contemplating the move to Austria...at this point, Austria has some of the more positive numbers in the eurozone. Maybe dual citizenship...at this point I am still pessimistic about my own country and figure a move to a new land with a language I speak could be invigorating. It's a beautiful country with many opportunities for recreation.

Moves to Albuquerque, NM or Phoenix, AZ are still possible though.

Kitdy
10-08-2012, 01:32 AM
Still contemplating the move to Austria...at this point, Austria has some of the more positive numbers in the eurozone. Maybe dual citizenship...at this point I am still pessimistic about my own country and figure a move to a new land with a language I speak could be invigorating. It's a beautiful country with many opportunities for recreation.

Moves to Albuquerque, NM or Phoenix, AZ are still possible though.

If you want to make hundreds of thousands of dollars a year with relatively minimal experience and education you could always move to Fort McMurray in Alberta.

I wouldn't though. That province is stacked with cash money and will be for the foreseeable forever.