PDA

View Full Version : Millionaire With A Big Heart

Fleet 500
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I've read this story several times and thought others would enjoy it, too.
(From the Reader's Digest, Aug., 1990.)

bmwpower
03-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Just shows the importance of giving. While we may not all be multi-millionaires, we each have much to share in our own right. Thanks for sharing.

csl177
03-23-2012, 08:22 PM
A nice story about a financially driven but humane person... genuine interests in charity and goodwill by the wealthy are often taken for granted in today's environment.

Used the Google and aside from learning he accumulated a huge stake in Toys 'R Us, there was a tertiary connection to motorsport. His fourth wife Carroll was the widow of Spanish playboy/racing driver Alfonso de Portago. De Portago and co-driver Edmund Nelson were killed in the 1957 Mille Miglia while driving for Ferrari, the accident claiming 10 other lives.

Fleet 500
03-23-2012, 09:19 PM
A nice story about a financially driven but humane person... genuine interests in charity and goodwill by the wealthy are often taken for granted in today's environment.

Yes and many of them donate without any publicity.

Used the Google and aside from learning he accumulated a huge stake in Toys 'R Us, there was a tertiary connection to motorsport. His fourth wife Carroll was the widow of Spanish playboy/racing driver Alfonso de Portago. De Portago and co-driver Edmund Nelson were killed in the 1957 Mille Miglia while driving for Ferrari, the accident claiming 10 other lives.

Wow, I did look him up after reading that article for the first time (I was curious to see if he made it past 90... he did) but I wasn't aware about the motorsports connection.

acfsambo
03-23-2012, 09:38 PM
This does help restore your faith in humanity.

These people and/or actions (if they want to remain anonymous) should be publicised instead of 'celebrities' like the Kardashians or the Hiltons.

Fleet 500
03-23-2012, 09:49 PM
This does help restore your faith in humanity.

These people and/or actions (if they want to remain anonymous) should be publicised instead of 'celebrities' like the Kardashians or the Hiltons.
Yes, I would do that, too, if I had many millions... the mega-millions lottery is tonight... a $290 million jackpot. :D

Some of the people who I would help would be those who lost their homes in the brush fires which happen here from time to time- mainly in the foothill, mountain and canyon areas.

And, of course, I would help the family of murder victims.

NSXType-R
03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
That's a great story, thanks for sharing.

Canam fan
03-28-2012, 03:46 AM
Nice to read something good and positive.

bairdes
05-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice to read something good and positive.

Just shows the importance of giving.