PDA

View Full Version : The Top 100 Inventions

Fleet 500
04-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I saved this article from 1997. I should have wrote down the magazine; I think it was the Globe tabloid magazine.

The top 100 inventions.

Note the car in 23rd place, slightly above the bicycle (at # 25).

I agree with the radio being in the top 10. For many years, it was a good way to get up-to-the-date news. Not surprisingly both the computer and the internet are also in the top 10.

I think television (#75) should place much higher. It has the benefit of a radio but with a picture. Good for getting news and for enjoyment (movies, TV shows, videotapes, DVDs, video games).

Brix
04-09-2012, 01:35 AM
I don't give much for that list.
But it's very much of you deem one more important than another. For an example is the computer above fire, but fire is much more essential to your way of life than the computer.

Fleet 500
04-09-2012, 01:48 AM
Actually, I didn't say that the computer is more important than fire. I said I wasn't surprised that computers were in the top 10.

Brix
04-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Actually, I didn't say that the computer is more important than fire. I said I wasn't surprised that computers were in the top 10.
My comment wasn't about what you posted, but how the list was made :)

Fleet 500
04-09-2012, 02:31 AM
My comment wasn't about what you posted, but how the list was made :)
Oh, okay.

What I posted is a copy of the article. I think I have the complete article (with the text) somewhere.

Cobrafan427
04-09-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't take much from the list since it was made up 15 yrs ago

I don't give much for that list.
But it's very much of you deem one more important than another. For an example is the computer above fire, but fire is much more essential to your way of life than the computer.
We can't really say that we invented fire, it existed in nature long before we discovered it

Kitdy
04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I saw as how on Discovery ages ago, and I think they polled academics on what they considered the #1 invention. They chose oral combined birth control pills, because they meant that for the first time ever, women had control over their ability to be fertile discretely (and avoiding using a condom),; and this meant that humanity could control population.

I was reading the net, and I believe the WHO said that 2/3rds of pregnancies world wide are unwanted/unplanned...