PDA

View Full Version : The Last Mazda Rotary Engine

NSXType-R
06-29-2012, 07:40 PM
Last week on June 22, 2012, the last Mazda rotary engine (for the time being I hope) was built for the RX-8.

http://www.bendbulletin.com/article/20120629/NEWS0107/206290331/

Mazda builds final rotary engine (http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/27/mazda-builds-final-rotary-engine/)

pimento
06-29-2012, 07:57 PM
I do hope they can get a new one happening. They should probably look into providing an OEM plug-in hybrid solution with any new version to assist with recouping costs.

csl177
06-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Felix Wankel had high hopes, but as good a powerplant as it is there's always been resistance from manufacturers... especially as teething problems threatened first adopters. NSU sure felt and paid the price. Even with metalurgy and seal improvements that made it truly viable,
fuel economy has never been the Wankel's strong suit. With so many thriftier alternatives, that seems the main reason it's been abandoned.

Racers will continue to field them though, so parts and support will be around for some time.

Enjoy the sound of rotary fury:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az39eqLIbyU&feature=related

Ferrer
06-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Never was a particular fan, but rest in pace.

Now can you Mazda make an MX-8 out of the RX-8?

NSXType-R
06-30-2012, 06:18 AM
I do hope they can get a new one happening. They should probably look into providing an OEM plug-in hybrid solution with any new version to assist with recouping costs.

I had an idea once where they should make a new RX-8 or 9 or whatever but then make a compromise- share the platform with a piston engined using the Skyactive technology in a coupe but sell it for cheaper.

Then make a halo car using the same platform with a rotary. I don't think Mazda can afford to make the rotary powered car a bespoke platform, with development costs and all.

Or they could make a piston powered MX-5 and a rotary MX-5.

And if they have big bucks, I guess they can try making it mid engined, something like the Mercedes C111 concepts.

In any case, my family always had ties to Mazda- my father had a RX-3 when he was in Hong Kong and he always loved that car.

Ferrer
06-30-2012, 06:29 AM
Was the RX-8 chasis bespoke, or was it shared or related to another model within Mazda/Ford?

Lukeno52
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
It would be pretty hard to do an MX-8 of similar power without having to make major changes - the car is design around the Wankel Rotary, and as such, normal piston engines will be too tall.

Sledgehammer
07-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Was the RX-8 chasis bespoke, or was it shared or related to another model within Mazda/Ford?

As far as I am aware, early pre production RX-8 used the miata chassis. The production RX-8 chassis is unique, but the drivetrain is not.

culver
07-01-2012, 08:04 AM
Rumor has it Mazda isn't done with the Wankel. They were working on a replacement to the current motor. I'm not sure if it's dead or not. The current motor is dead because it went away with the RX-8. We'll have to wait to see if Mazda has really given up on the engine entirely.

pimento
07-01-2012, 08:59 PM
The official like is that development continues on the 16X project.. slowly. Unfortunately they're a little strapped for cash at the moment...

David_Hussey
07-01-2012, 11:34 PM
The reference link of BestBulletin is nice.

Matra et Alpine
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
The rotary is also seen as a good candidate for a multi-fuel capable vehicle in the future.
Also it's use in UAVs shows that when used at the right revs it has good performance/weight and much more reasonable fuel economy.
SO .... more likley to see it turn up initially as part of a hybrid train with the focus being on the electric power usage and generation frmo a rotary driven generator.
WOudl miss all the fun of brap-brap-brap tho and hopefully we will see a rotary halo-car in the future. Just not try to disguise it as a 4 seater family sensibel couple next time. 2 seats please :)

csl177
07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
^^^ Good points, Peter... let's hope so. The world of motorsports would be poorer without brap-brap-brap.

Reprise the RX7. Three rotors, please. :D

pimento
07-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Modular rotors.. need more power? Just whack another rotor or two on top!

Matra et Alpine
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Pretty much what you could do with any rotary engine up till the RX-8 Renesies.
THe Renesis used a side port as exhaust outlet making it impossoble to "simply stack" the chambers. 6 rotor 13Bs are surprisingly common :)

NSXType-R
07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Found the photo of my dad with the RX-3.

Told me he got the dent in the hood when he was tired and he bumped the guy in front of him in traffic.

Ferrer
07-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi-res hideout! :)

NSXType-R
07-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Hi-res hideout! :)

Haha, the coolest part is that my dad owned this car when he was around 20 or 21.

Unfortunately, I think this is the only photo I have of him with the RX-3.

He loved the car to bits and he told me he raced for pinks with some Alfa Romeo in the mountain roads above Hong Kong and still won, even though he pulled out one spark plug as a handicap.

Also, he told me he loved the wooden steering wheel and revving it to around 9,000 rpm.

So I very much so have Mazda and Honda in my automotive identity. :D