06-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Checked your timecard ?
Agree with the marshal ??
OK, take the next instructions ......

TC4 -> TC5, 8 miles, 16 minutes, IGR

Pass through these points in order
522672, 527673, 536668, 536666, 543656, 532649, 505644

TC5 is at 492655 WNW

Still on map2 posted earlier, take your TC3 GR from previous stage.
Review the skills on map references and use of the romer, you're going to need it here. THere is a tricky section and you will need to be ACCURATE wit the MRs or yo'll get the wrong route :) Try to imaging doing this with a car on a stage at speed :)

Mustang
06-04-2004, 03:43 AM
riteo ill get onto it later, maths revision then ill start

Mustang
06-07-2004, 08:20 AM
dont get disharted Peter i wil get it up as soon as i can, had 2 exams to day, 1 tomorrow, 1 thursday, 1 on friday then i will do it, or i might do it before if i get the time :)

Mustang
06-10-2004, 07:43 AM
rite that is it i am going to do it tomorrow night,

whopee got my licence through the post today :D:D:D means i can now officially go rallying (well naving atleast) :D:D

Mustang
06-15-2004, 09:59 AM
well here we are i told you that i would do it and here it is. i timed myself on this one and it took roughly 5 mins so i might of been able to do it in the car :D:D woot

Mustang
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
Just a question for you to read when you are marking this stage...

Seen as i am going to the weeton stages on Sunday and taking pics and vids, sould i post them on this section of the forum or in the multimedia section?

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 08:03 AM
Just a question for you to read when you are marking this stage...

Seen as i am going to the weeton stages on Sunday and taking pics and vids, sould i post them on this section of the forum or in the multimedia section?
If it's all pics and vids and limited talk, then I've chosen Multimedia.
If you're going to do a race write-up, then perhaps racing.
Not here though, keep this for the challenges and especially later. Got some nice ideas for teaching making pace-notes :)

Mustang
06-18-2004, 08:07 AM
If it's all pics and vids and limited talk, then I've chosen Multimedia.
If you're going to do a race write-up, then perhaps racing.
Not here though, keep this for the challenges and especially later. Got some nice ideas for teaching making pace-notes :)

ok then i will do that.

P.s. you still havent seen if the map is rite :p this was a Q for you to think about whilst you were marking the map :P

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 08:11 AM
well here we are i told you that i would do it and here it is. i timed myself on this one and it took roughly 5 mins so i might of been able to do it in the car :D:D woot
Sorry, James, you made time to the TC 2 miuntes late - you expected the driver to AVERAGE 60 over THOSE roads :)
AND worse you've lost 10 points for missing the route card shown on the white road before Yester Mains AND another 10 for missing the one on the white road OUT of Yester Mains.
Need some Romer practice :)
Also, stage instructions were IGR, Not CRO. Think that might have tricked you.
And that is what a stage designer will try to do - catch you out.

Mustang
06-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Sorry, James, you made time to the TC 2 miuntes late - you expected the driver to AVERAGE 60 over THOSE roads :)
AND worse you've lost 10 points for missing the route card shown on the white road before Yester Mains AND another 10 for missing the one on the white road OUT of Yester Mains.
Need some Romer practice :)
Also, stage instructions were IGR, Not CRO. Think that might have tricked you.
And that is what a stage designer will try to do - catch you out.

NOoooooooooooo dam if you dont post the map then i might try it again if i have time . thanks for telling me where i went wrong

DAM STUPID IDIOT **SDF*SFS****FS*F :mad: :mad: read it next time dam it :mad: :mad:

:p :)

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 08:27 AM
I've attached 2 maps.
The first shows the markings I pust when doing these types of stages.
Try to mark as many MRs as possible when stationary. It gets hard on the move at night with a potti :) THEN if you're trying to make up time you can launch and do the route and details as you go, saving some time.

See how I do an arrow. That's my shorthand. The point is EXACTLY at the MR. In other instructions where you may be asked to AVOID an MR, I use an X to mark it. So I know the difference between use and avoid. ( Worth coming up with your own method - mine carries a per-use license fee of one pint per event )
Other points, note the red highlighter showing the limits of the event. You would do THAT to the map as soon as the limits were published - may be in the Final Instructions mailed to you, posted at the sign-on or supplied to you.

Also, note the extra lines at the village to make sure we DO go in on the white and the "?" in a couple of places where I think the driver might need some "heads-up" help in making sure we take the right junction

Matra et Alpine
06-18-2004, 08:30 AM
NOoooooooooooo dam if you dont post the map then i might try it again if i have time . thanks for telling me where i went wrong

DAM STUPID IDIOT **SDF*SFS****FS*F :mad: :mad: read it next time dam it :mad: :mad:

:p :)

You'll build confidence in using the romers.
2 of the MRs supplied actually pointed to the white roads.
So, with a bit of practice, you'd have realised that whites were OK - or checked the instructions.
What DID you think about the MRs on that white section ??
Maybe you're needing to practice more MRs and using the romer :)

Mustang
06-19-2004, 02:09 AM
I've attached 2 maps.

thanks Peter i can see where i have gone wrong now, but you must admit that if it wasnt for those 2 small mistakes it would of been quite good, i am getting better and faster as i go along os soon i will be rite up there :p
oh well looking forward to attempting stage 6 :) when you get chance to put it up.

Matra et Alpine
06-19-2004, 02:38 AM
thanks Peter i can see where i have gone wrong now, but you must admit that if it wasnt for those 2 small mistakes it would of been quite good, i am getting better and faster as i go along os soon i will be rite up there :p
oh well looking forward to attempting stage 6 :) when you get chance to put it up.

Yep, Mustang, quite good, you DID get to the TCs which are MOST important. But any error will lose you route markers and time/points.

The only thing is that drivers aren't patient and understanding guys.

It's OK for them to stick it sideways into a ditch and lose a couple of minutes, but for a nav to make an error is unacceptable to them. They usuaully come with ego's the size of a planet :)

So any points/time dropped will be the NAVS FAULT. Loss of a group or outright win will be down to those 10 seconds lost in a time card error, or a mis-direction. It's NEVER about his/her lack of driving skill :)

That's life and as a nav you have to accept it.
It's one of the reasons I alwayts recommend anyone wanting to ultimately drive in rallying ( at any level ) to do navigation/co-driving as young as possible. You then can appreciate the efforts of the nav later on and will realise it's a team effort !! My navs always new I'd been in their seat, so if I ever did "lose the rag" with them, they'd always point it out to me.

Will get Stage 6 up later this morning :)

BTW, the same can be true for driver switching seats back ( as I'm currently doing in post-historics ). You can appreciate why a driver is maybe NOT taking the corner as quickly as you THINK it could be ( esp if using your OWN pace notes! ). But we've egos too, so I also upset my driver by screaming at him to get a move on and to "push on" if he is backing off coming to a corner I've called as 'flat' :)

Matra et Alpine
06-19-2004, 02:39 AM

Well so far you are the outright leader on the event and an overal win is possible :)

Mustang
06-19-2004, 03:45 AM
Well so far you are the outright leader on the event and an overal win is possible :)

yeah well thats only if you are counting yourself out of the event.

Werent you one thinking of going into the driving side ?? what ever happened to that idea ??

Matra et Alpine
06-19-2004, 04:44 AM

Werent you one thinking of going into the driving side ?? what ever happened to that idea ??

Space to prep and deciding best car :)

So, garage/workshop first.
Then assess condition of second Bagheera as a "unique" preparation to match the RAC entry.
Still looking for A110 at reasonable price - they're CRAZY money :(

Finding a nav - trying to convince daughter :)

Last rally brought some things to a head as mate wasn't too happy with me urging him on, but he was just NOT aggresive enough in some of the stages.
Hardest thing switching from driver to nav is trying NOT to drive the car the way you would. I'm a more aggresive and 'unstable' driver than Iain on loose.
He seeks the 'race line', I'm "old school" and think that if the wheels are in the same tracks as the front then it's slow. Either locked up, sliding into corners, or scrabbling on full throttle exiting - good enough for Roger Clark. may not always be as fast, but a helluva lot more fun :)

What I dont' need at the moment is ANOTHER car - soon be up to 7 !!
A610 not a contender on UK rally events, great track and continental road events.
Bagheera a possibility.

Then reminding myself that I can't nav AND drive, so would be giving up a LOT.
For the unacquainted, the nav/co-driver can make a rally winner of a mediocre driver. Never the other way round.

Matra et Alpine
06-19-2004, 04:46 AM
shhh, I maxed the first stage on this event !!!!!
didn't read the CRO :)