PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Bruno Spengler, 2012 DTM Champion!

Kitdy
10-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Yeah, this is a Canada pride post. Bruno Spengler had a brilliant start at Hockenheim and held off Gary Paffett to win the 2012 DTM Championship for BMW in their first year back.

Woo!

Ferrer
10-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Wow impressive, and especially considering the first races I saw BMWs weren't front runners...

Congratulations to Bruno Spengler and the BMW Team!

RacingManiac
10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Finally Bruno pulls it off...after being close for so many years...

henk4
10-22-2012, 08:19 AM
one of the most overrated championships....

RacingManiac
10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
one of the most overrated championships....

In what way? Its basically German NASCAR/V8 Supercar....and much like those, its not exactly a stroll to win the title....sure they are basically spec cars, but as with most racing series these days, its either great racing and not so interesting cars, or interesting cars and not so great racing....

henk4
10-22-2012, 11:11 PM
In what way? Its basically German NASCAR/V8 Supercar....and much like those, its not exactly a stroll to win the title....sure they are basically spec cars, but as with most racing series these days, its either great racing and not so interesting cars, or interesting cars and not so great racing....

it is a continuing story about manipulation who should win the title. Not only among among the drivers but also between Audi and Mercedes. And if you compare it to NASCAR, you don't need to ask anymore why it is overrated :)

RacingManiac
10-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Well its easy to say NASCAR is not interesting, but I still watch and still fascinated by it. Its not an easy series to win and they are still doing pretty crazy stuff with really old technology....

At any rate, I blame EU snobbery to a Canadian success....:D

Ferrer
10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
WTCC. That's some proper racing.

henk4
10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Well its easy to say NASCAR is not interesting, but I still watch and still fascinated by it. Its not an easy series to win and they are still doing pretty crazy stuff with really old technology....

At any rate, I blame EU snobbery to a Canadian success....:D

I honestly thought he was German...

Kitdy
10-24-2012, 12:28 AM
WTCC. That's some proper racing.

Eh. I watched a round or two and was not that impressed. Bumpy, a bit gimmicky with the FWD vs RWD, and the cars didn't interest me. Maybe I will give it another shot.

I honestly thought he was German...

He was born in France, raised in Canada.

Kitdy
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
A younger Canadian, Robert Wickens, is also in DTM racing in a Benz, but he had an unremarkable year.

RacingManiac
10-24-2012, 04:34 PM
A younger Canadian, Robert Wickens, is also in DTM racing in a Benz, but he had an unremarkable year.

Ill advised career move to touring car I think...open wheel transition to that is not historically successful...the reversed seems a bit better...

Wouter Melissen
10-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Ill advised career move to touring car I think...open wheel transition to that is not historically successful...the reversed seems a bit better...

I think Paul di Resta does not share your opinion.

Kitdy
10-25-2012, 01:07 AM

Wickens might be being groomed for a potential F1 seat by Haug. The word was if Spengler had won DTM last year he woulda got the FI seat or not, but I am not so sure considering he is significantly older than Paul di.

Of course, Hambam signing with Mercedes has thrown a wrench in the works.

I just looked, "the Wick" was 2nd best of the three Benz youths in DTM, and beat Ralf and tied DC on points. Trololol.

RacingManiac
10-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Touring car to F1 has had better results than going the otherway around....Wickens is already pretty old(23), when Di Resta went to DTM he was 21. 2 years can mean a lot in trying to climb the openwheel ladder....Wickens has already spent a ton to time in open wheel cars....that makes the transition into saloon harder, since the race craft required is so different. And if he is not performing at an impressive level in DTM, he won't get a chance to go back into F1 again. Look at how many recent F1 drivers(and winners) going to DTM and their results....

Ferrer
10-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Eh. I watched a round or two and was not that impressed. Bumpy, a bit gimmicky with the FWD vs RWD, and the cars didn't interest me. Maybe I will give it another shot.
I'l give you that the cars aren't the most interesting in the world but, it has to be said, they are far more production-based than anything from DTM, V8 Supercars or Nascar.

However, the racing more that makes up for it. It has some proper close, wheel to wheel racing and even if the Chevrolets reign supreme (which being the only proper works team they kind of have to...) the fight for other positions is usually very exciting and eventful.

Only regret really is there should be more factory teams involved and that the races are a tad too short for my liking.

Kitdy
10-27-2012, 01:39 PM
Eh, I like seeing GT cars. The ALMS' GT class has been stellar.