PDA

View Full Version : 2 meters wide (7 feet) sports cars for daily driving?

Big time
01-19-2013, 07:23 AM
What do you guys think about driving 2 meters wide (almost 2 foot wide) everyday?
Aren't they just too wide?

Maybe they would be a bit better if their rearview mirrors didn't protude beyond the bodywork, either by placing them on the A-pillar or by placing vertical supports F1 style.

Does length make a big difference?
Say from say from 4.50 meters (15 feet) compared to 4.80 meters (16 feet).
Do front engine cars are easier to drive in heavy traffic compared to mid engine ones?

I've been given fast rides on Lambos but on mostly empty streets, not during rush hour traffic.

Ferrer
01-19-2013, 09:02 AM
For me width is the biggest restriction when driving car, and not only in everyday driving on cities (motorways and main roads are fine mostly) but especially in narrow twisty mountain roads when a car that is too wide can be very annoying and unnerving.

And that is specially important in sportscars (or sporty cars), because what's the point of a car that is designed to be driven if it can't fit in a proper driver's road?

pimento
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
I couldn't get through some of the streets I drive down in a 2 metre wide car. It would depend on where you live and where you drive everyday, but for me it would be a pretty ridiculous thing to attempt.

Cyco
01-20-2013, 04:05 AM
The other problem with driving them every day is parking. They don't fit into a 'standard' sized spot.

The other issue with some (Murcie, etc) is that the rear is wider than the front, making judging gaps a lot trickier in tight lanes

Kitdy
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Does length make a big difference?

So they say.