PDA

View Full Version : Side view mirrors

Starskeye
03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
At the beginning they were even not existing. In the futur they will disappear, replaced by high-end technology. I thought it could be interesting to come back on something that we would rather don't care but still use it every day : side view mirrors !

From the simplest styling decades ago, we are now facing big fat mirrors carrying electric-motors, indicators, alert systems, ... but I would like to focus this thread on styling.

Here is my top 3 selection, feel free to share and post yours !

Pagani Huayra
http://media.caranddriver.com/images/12q4/478970/2013-pagani-huayra-side-view-mirror-photo-479683-s-1280x782.jpg

Damn I love this style. The flag, the way they close itself, the carbon fiber. Useable and styled.

Ferrari 288 GTO
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8b/FerrariGTO.jpg

I can't really explain why, but I always loved it. Or is it the entire car? :)

Alfa 1750 GTV
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/attachments/anything-about-alfa-romeos-alfabb-com/783d1051177264-mystery-alfa-romeo-model-alfa-mirror-side-10.jpg

I like the way they nicely succeed to put the Alfa logo in it.

Matra et Alpine
03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
erm side view mirrors have always existed. Why do you say not ?
Only in the very VERY early cars with no tops when there were few cars on the road and the driver sat high and on his own and could readily look round.

Agree that once fixed windsheilds and clear rear windows were widely deployed that the interior rear view mirror often relegated the side mirrors to "options". But in the 50s and 60s everyone fitted them :) :)

Ferrer
03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
More or less related... I wonder how drivers managed to drive comfortably with just one side view mirror in the old days.

Also some cars with just a mirror in the driver's side from the 80's (when mirrors became more integrated to the bodywork) look just ridiculous.

Starskeye
03-19-2013, 03:40 AM
I was indeed referring to the old days where it was cleary useless, at the time when the bodywork was inexistant. For sure, I was not born :)

Anyway, I'm sure they will remain in the future.

eddyjack6
03-19-2013, 05:02 AM
The old machines were no doubt awesome on looks and power and has got some style :)

Ferrer
03-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Anyway, I'm sure they will remain in the future.
Volkswagen disagrees...

Starskeye
03-19-2013, 12:29 PM
Can volkswagen argue? ;)

Ferrer
03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
Can volkswagen argue? ;)
Well, since they are the largest car manufacturer in Europe they can act as a lobby... like they are doing with the XL1. ;)

Matra et Alpine
03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
More or less related... I wonder how drivers managed to drive comfortably with just one side view mirror in the old days.
MUCH fewer cars and more importantly properly trained and safer drivers and of course no real multi lane highways with idiots over taking on both sides :)

Ferrer
03-20-2013, 12:02 AM
MUCH fewer cars and more importantly properly trained and safer drivers and of course no real multi lane highways with idiots over taking on both sides :)
Ah yes, who could I not imagine.

It's all the idiots' fault!

Or something. :)

Matra et Alpine
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
yep ferrer .... idiots ... who you need to avoid even more so on the 'Ring :(

So even with modern side mirrors they fail to see !!!

207 Le Mans crash @ Nürburgring 29 05 2012 7 seconds Nürburgring tribute - YouTube

jcp123
03-20-2013, 08:20 PM

It's not that bad. I put the inside mirror so that it reflects both behind me and to that side. Works just as well for me as having two side mirrors. Got so used to it in fact that even though I now drive something with two outside mirrors I still keep that inside mirror kicked over in that direction.

For my part, I have alwas thought that cars with the mirrors mounted up front on the fenders looked handsome, impractical though I imagine it may be...

Starskeye
03-21-2013, 02:27 AM
I think the problem comes from two bad habits combined :

- people tend to turn before starting the side indicators
- people tend to look behind or aside when required.

Myself, I always try to look behind to be aware of what happening, even if I remain in my lane.

Matra et Alpine
03-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Know you meant "tend NOT to look behind" ? :) :)

This is the reason why I think everyone should have to pass test and ride a motorbike.
Nothing hammers home the benefit of a "shoulder check" than the thought of being side swiped on a bike by a van :(

jcp123
03-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Know you meant "tend NOT to look behind" ? :) :)

This is the reason why I think everyone should have to pass test and ride a motorbike.
Nothing hammers home the benefit of a "shoulder check" than the thought of being side swiped on a bike by a van :(

Excellent thought...

zaneuniven
05-04-2013, 03:42 AM
Pagani Huayra deserves the top spot. I think it is the car to beat. :) Drooling for one...