PDA

View Full Version : Mid-size cars 1: 6 v Accord v Mondeo v Vectra v Camry v Legacy v Galant v Primera

motorsportnerd
06-05-2004, 07:58 AM
In recent years the mid-size "rep" cars have gone upmarket and become more stylish as the class has undergone a revival. It's fair to say many of the cars in this class can now be regarded as genuine drivers cars, particularly the Mazda 6, Accord Euro and Mondeo.
I've only had the chance to drive a Mondeo and a Camry. The Mondeo was a 2002 spec Mondeo Zetec in NZ. Handles extremely well, excellent ride and very refined. However let down by the engine and lack of tiptronic gearbox (thought the facelift cars, I believe, have this now).
The Camry was rather dull, with ordinary steering feel and I though poorly executed in the interior, with signs of cost cutting to the centre consol in particular. Performed adequately, but I wouldn't buy one.
The Mazda 6 is my favourite car in this class though. Very stylish, particularly the hatch, handles very well and has excellent performance.
Any thoughts on cars in this class?

motorsportnerd
06-05-2004, 08:02 AM
Pictures of Subaru Legacy, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Primera and Toyota Camry.

Coventrysucks
06-05-2004, 09:00 AM
I am a big fan of the Accord - mostly because the other cars are tainted by their image.

They maybe good cars, but they have a reputation as being boring cars.

The Mazda is a good car, but lacking that special "something".

The Mondeo would be my second choice, it comes highly recommended.

The Accord just has the edge on quality though - and it sits in the middle ground along with the VW Passat - between "rep-mobile" (Mondeo, Vectra, Primera) and executive cars such as the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 etc

Niko_Fx
06-05-2004, 09:00 AM
I voted for the Honda Accord Euro cause I believe that's what we know here as an Acura TSX and I love its looks.

GT500
06-05-2004, 11:50 AM
In my opinion, Mazda by far. I think it has the best looks, price, 'bang for the buck', great everything. And if you opt for the 6s, you get a really nice car for a sweet price. :)

Hell_Unleashed
06-05-2004, 01:38 PM
I would go for the Accord for sure... I love the way it looks and the new one comes with a 3 ltr. 275bhp. It looks good when customized too... but mostly... I think I like it... cos I own one... :p

Its a 2001 Ex... here are some pics

Spastik_Roach
06-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Ever since they first started being made, I have really really liked Legacy Turbo's so my vote goes to the Subaru Legacy. Forget Mazda, this truly is a Performance car.

Cotterik
06-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Well my dad owns a Ford Mondeo and it is a good, practical family car with all the essentials but very light steering and not much lock. The looks have been updated in the recent edition to keep it up to date with its rivals.
I am quite a big fan of the Honda Accord though i think it has lost its sportiness from the last model, is there a Type-R version of the latest Accord? :confused:
The vectra is nice but not nice enough, ever since the cavalier its never been a rival to the top runners.
However I fall weak at the knees for the Mazda 6, the looks and the 160bhp 2.3 litre four-cylinder engine. I had the privelege of standing next to the Mazda 6 MPS at the motor show :D Man thats a nice car...

Cotterik
06-05-2004, 03:40 PM
Here is some pics of the Mazda MPS Sport :D :D

Spastik_Roach
06-05-2004, 04:05 PM
But the thing is, the Mazda 6 doesn't have a fast engine to back up the fast looks! The Legacy does!!! And it looks sporty aswell :D

Coventrysucks
06-05-2004, 05:36 PM
is there a Type-R version of the latest Accord?

Yes, but only in Japan. IIRC.

:)

junaman
06-05-2004, 06:06 PM
I voted for the Mazda 6 the best design of them all and the price is good

motorsportnerd
06-05-2004, 06:47 PM
But the thing is, the Mazda 6 doesn't have a fast engine to back up the fast looks! The Legacy does!!! And it looks sporty aswell :D

You're thinking of the Legacy GT, which is to be honest not a comparable vehicle to the others. The Legacy 2.0i and 2.5i, while good cars, cannot compare to the na 4-cly versions of either the Mazda 6 or the Accord Euro in a straight line.
Some indicative performance figures:
Mazda 6 2.3 5-speed manual, 0-100 8.5 sec, 0-400m 16.3 sec.
Honda Accord Euro 2.4 5-speed manual 0-100 8.1 sec, 0-400m 15.8 sec.
Subaru Legacy 2.5i 5-speed manual 0-100 10.7 sec,
Subaur Legacy 2.5i 5-speed manual 0-100 9.0 sec,

Well my dad owns a Ford Mondeo and it is a good, practical family car with all the essentials but very light steering and not much lock. The looks have been updated in the recent edition to keep it up to date with its rivals.

I own a 97 facelift Mondeo and have driven a 2002 Mondeo Zetec. The steering is not light. In fact, it is well balanced, direct and offers plenty feedback. It was a good point in the first Mondeo and has been retained in recent Mondeos. In fact, it could be a little lighter for parking, while retaining the good weight and feel at highway speed - it's one of the heavier power assisted systems I've experienced.
To experience light steering with no feel drive a Toyota Camry or Hyundai Elantra. They are light, have no feel and it feels like you're driving by remote control.
The new model Mondeo released in late 2000 retained all the good points of the first (excellent handling, compliant ride, good steering feel, good ergonomics, excellent practicality) and fixed many of the weaker points. The first car suffered from poor interior packaging - particularly rear seat room, and had refinement issues with lots of tyre noise. There was also limited storage space. The 2000-2004 Mondeos fixed these issues. However, engines remained a weak point until the introduction of the direct injection 1.8, which I believe revitalises the car. I believe it still falls short of the Mazda 6 for performance though.
My understanding is that the Mazda 6 has even sharper handling than the Mondeo, but the ride isn't so good. I have seen it suggested in the motoring press that the Mondeo still offers the best all-round handling/ride/steering compromise of any mid-size front drive car. So, a Mondeo fitted with the Mazda 6 engine would be my choice. However, since that didn't happen, I'll stick with the Mazda.

GT500
06-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Ever since they first started being made, I have really really liked Legacy Turbo's so my vote goes to the Subaru Legacy. Forget Mazda, this truly is a Performance car.

i'm with you all the way, but I feel the Mazda is a better value. Had there been no Mazda 6, Legacy wpid;'ve easily gotten my vote.

EDIT: whoa.....would've..... :rolleyes: