PDA

View Full Version : Rush

RacingManiac
04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
Rush Official Trailer #1 (2013) - Chris Hemsworth, Ron Howard Racing Movie HD - YouTube

Cobrafan427
04-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Looks like a modern day Grand Prix, could be interesting but at the same time could be a total injustice to F1 racing at that time

RacingManiac
04-08-2013, 09:17 AM
Looks like a modern day Grand Prix, could be interesting but at the same time could be a total injustice to F1 racing at that time

They are actually trying to tell a period tale, where the protagonists are still alive now, so I'd think this will be a bit more realistic...

Grand Prix is a fictional tale set in an era, so they need to make up a story. The actual story of this is more than dramatic enough I think...

Its good too Ron Howard is trying to shoot as much as he can with actual cars....

Cobrafan427
04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Its good too Ron Howard is trying to shoot as much as he can with actual cars....

That's what i meant, it has a very Grand Prix feel from the use of the cars and the driving angles. I'm not feeling the CGI crashes though, at least in Grand Prix they crashed real cars and i'd prefer that even if the lifeless dummies look dumb flying out of the car. This movie definitely has potential though

RacingManiac
04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Well Grand Prix doesn't even use period F1 cars(F2s). This actually uses period F1 cars...

Ferrer
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Looks interesting!

jcp123
04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I'll have to catch this when it ends up on VOD.

NSXType-R
04-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Wow, I'd rather see more movies like this than garbage like the Fast and the Furious movies.

I'll keep an eye out for it for sure.

eddyjack6
04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
That looks great.

Matra et Alpine
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
From some of the cinematography leaked so far and the SOUND I think this is like "Senna" and "Closer to the Edge" a must see in the cinema unless you've $100k invested in home cinema :) :)

LTSmash
04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I've know about the production on this film for almost two years; been waiting to finally see a trailer. Looks alright... I guess. I was none too pleased when I first read about casting choices last year, though.

Thor is James Hunt... right.

Matra et Alpine
04-11-2013, 12:16 PM
He's a good actor - thus the Thor "character" and definitely looks like Hunt

LTSmash
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Granted, Chris does look a bit like James Hunt with the right hairstyle. But, I'm not sure if the acting will capture a true biopic of who James Hunt was. Trailer makes him come off as a present day meat-head trapped in the 70s.

Matra et Alpine
04-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Might be an image of Hunt difference LT. At the time he was a VERY serious man but most of the coverage was of his playboy moments once he had lots of F1 money :)
See if this helps ... ( I do note JH was a little higher pitched and wonder if their might be some post processing to tweak that - we'll need to wait and see the final release.

DAMMIT, youtube embedding here doesnt use the start time option :(
Click on the red text title , not the play button to watch from 2m56s

James Hunt Documentary - part 1 - YouTube

RacingManiac
04-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Rush Official Trailer #2 (2013) - Chris Hemsworth, Ron Howard Racing Movie HD - YouTube

Trailer 2

LTSmash
04-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Might be an image of Hunt difference LT. At the time he was a VERY serious man but most of the coverage was of his playboy moments once he had lots of F1 money :)
See if this helps ... ( I do note JH was a little higher pitched and wonder if their might be some post processing to tweak that - we'll need to wait and see the final release.

Matra, I've seen that doc before, thanks for sharing. I always knew he was a well spoken man and appeared to have some sort of deep introspective side that was rarely seen. He's quite an interesting person and I can see why Ron wanted to produce a film on him. I very much do like James Hunt as a sports figure. However, I can't wrap my mind around why Chris Hemsworth of all people would play him (watching both trailers I can't take him seriously). A method actor or someone more well known for dramatic roles I think would suit the character much better. I'm just hoping this film doesn't turn into some petty commercial advertising fest that's too "actiony" and the sort. I'm more for story and would rather this film be playing at an indie house than some commercial IMAX theater. Seems more fitting and would attract the right audience instead of already commercializing F1 any further.

"Senna" got a Sundance premier. I'd like to see this one in Park City too.

EDIT: September release... no Sundance I guess.

Ferrer
04-11-2013, 11:05 PM
The chap that does Lauda (Daniel Brühl) is (half) Catalan.

So he must be (half) awesome.

Probably.

RacingManiac
04-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Or half not so awesome.....:P

Matra et Alpine
04-12-2013, 01:54 PM
I think LT the other side of Hunt might be why they've gone with him.
Womanising, drink, drugs .... then drive :)

faksta
04-13-2013, 04:01 AM

That was my biggest question when I saw the cast for the first time - he doesn't look like Hunt at all IMO, that's only the hairstyle :confused:

Bruehl is Lauda's copy, though.

I hope they will show this movie in Moscow. Somehow nobody ever heard about Senna movie in our cinemas, I believe.

NSXType-R
04-13-2013, 07:02 AM
That was my biggest question when I saw the cast for the first time - he doesn't look like Hunt at all IMO, that's only the hairstyle :confused:

Bruehl is Lauda's copy, though.

I hope they will show this movie in Moscow. Somehow nobody ever heard about Senna movie in our cinemas, I believe.

Outside of automotive enthusiasts, few people know about Senna.

Heck, I probably only heard about him probably around the time I joined this forum.

LTSmash
04-13-2013, 04:51 PM

"Senna" was an indie house documentary for Sundance. It didn't get a wide release at all anywhere.

faksta
04-13-2013, 04:53 PM
I thought it was shown in cinemas, though?

RacingManiac
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM
"Senna" was an indie house documentary for Sundance. It didn't get a wide release at all anywhere.

It was shown at various theater at different point in the country....I actually watched it at a documentary fest in Toronto...

clutch-monkey
04-13-2013, 05:14 PM
It was shown at various theater at different point in the country....I actually watched it at a documentary fest in Toronto...

likewise saw it in cinemas. was well worth it.

LTSmash
04-13-2013, 05:17 PM
I thought it was shown in cinemas, though?

It was. It just didn't get a wide release like more big budget movies.

Ferrer
04-14-2013, 01:34 AM
I don't think Senna was released here. Or at least I can't remember seeing it.

f6fhellcat13
09-29-2013, 06:27 AM
I went to see this last night and enjoyed it muchly.

Though, understandably, they didn't nerd out over the geekier aspects of F1, I thought it was a very well done racing movie, rather than a movie about racing.

Unfortunately, there were not that many people at the theater I went to, and those that were were probably in their fifties or older. I hope this does well so that other films in this vein can be greenlit in the future. I was in the middle-of-nowhere Connecticut, so hopefully the official numbers will disagree with my observations.

RacingManiac
10-10-2013, 06:41 PM
I went to see this last night and enjoyed it muchly.

Though, understandably, they didn't nerd out over the geekier aspects of F1, I thought it was a very well done racing movie, rather than a movie about racing.

Unfortunately, there were not that many people at the theater I went to, and those that were were probably in their fifties or older. I hope this does well so that other films in this vein can be greenlit in the future. I was in the middle-of-nowhere Connecticut, so hopefully the official numbers will disagree with my observations.

Bold part is really true. And I think the movie is better for it. And when you have a real life story as compelling as that, you don't need to make up too much stuff...

The cars are cool, and its always cool to see P34 on film. But the acting is great. But I do agree with a lot of the review I've read that Bruhl's Lauda seems to get much more development than Hemsworth's Hunt. Hunt always seems too much surface whereas they showed a lot more of the struggle with Lauda. I do like they show Hunt's intensity through his constant flicking with his lighter.

Nit-pick would be all the tracks they used to stand-in for the real tracks are pretty obvious...I've heard they used a lot of Brands Hatch and some other British tracks for filming, issues being tracks like Brands are too hilly, poor stand-in for places like Monza or Fuji....

The place I went to had 6 people in the whole place.....I think the subject matter is still too niche...good on Ron Howard though...

crisis
10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
My 17 year old son saw it last night. He does not watch current F1 and has never heard of Hunt or Lauda other than my brief explanation. He recommended it highly to me.
There is hope :)

NSXType-R
10-11-2013, 04:46 AM
My 17 year old son saw it last night. He does not watch current F1 and has never heard of Hunt or Lauda other than my brief explanation. He recommended it highly to me.
There is hope :)

Does he have any interest at all in cars then?

If not you have failed. :D

crisis
10-14-2013, 02:42 AM
Does he have any interest at all in cars then?

If not you have failed. :D

Ha, he likes F1 but its not his thing. Aussie V8s yeah and also the obligatory Nissan Skyline. He is 17 after all. ;) We do enjoy Top Gear together if that counts, lol!

kingofthering
10-18-2013, 11:12 PM
I watched it with the motorsports club at my university and I took along two non-enthusiasts with me. Both groups gave it a thumbs-up.