PDA

View Full Version : Front Wheel Drive

GTR Dreamer
06-05-2004, 09:51 PM
please dont laugh.
where abouts is da gearbox/clutch on a front wheel drive car.and does the whole engine move when you steer? please help. i feel like an idiot. :confused:

rb30
06-05-2004, 10:22 PM
the gearbox and clutch sit in the same place as a rear wheel drives car in correlation to the engine, its just that the engine is facing a different direction (east-west instead of north-south confiuration) so the gearbox sits on the front left inline with the fr left wheel most of the time. The gearbox is actually a transaxle which include a differential in the gearbox, and no the engine does not move when you steer. the clutch sits between the gearbox and the engine as in all manual cars. :) hope i helped

henk4
06-05-2004, 11:26 PM
The above is only partly true, there is also the option the engine is longitudinally placed, just as with rear wheel drive, but turned around 180 degrees. This means that the gearbox is sitting just behind the radiator and the clutch between the engine and the gearbox. There is also the option that the engine sits before the front wheels in the classic longitundinal fashion and still drives the front wheels. Audi and VW has been practising this for a long time.

GTR Dreamer
06-06-2004, 01:40 AM
i still dont get it.
if the engine is going one direction and the gear box the other, then what makes the engine power go fowards/backwards rather than side to side. and how is the power from the gearbox converted to the wheels.
im lost. :confused:

henk4
06-06-2004, 01:54 AM
i still dont get it.
if the engine is going one direction and the gear box the other, then what makes the engine power go fowards/backwards rather than side to side. and how is the power from the gearbox converted to the wheels.
im lost. :confused:

Check the layout for a central engined car which has the gearbox behind the rear axle. That should explain it for you.

GTR Dreamer
06-06-2004, 02:00 AM
do u know where i could find one of them.

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-07-2004, 06:36 PM
hope this diagram will help

[GB]<-[Clutch]<-[Engine]
|
V
Wheel<-[Diff]----------------------->Wheel

GB is the gear box
Diff is the differential (as said before a transaxle has both gearbox and diff in one unit to save space but for the simplicity of this diagram i chose to seperate them)
Clutch is ... clutch
engine is ... engine
and dont make me explain what the wheels are

the engine power is sent from engine to wheels in the direction of the wheels

cls12vg30
06-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Here this is more accurate:
+++++++[GB]<-[Clutch]<-[Engine]
++++++++|
++++++++V
Wheel<-[Diff]----------------------->Wheel

I'm pretty sure that's what KnifeEdge meant to do, just ignore all the "++++++" on the left side, they're space fillers to make it line up right.

GTR Dreamer
06-08-2004, 01:28 AM
oohh, i get it, thanks guys.
no longer feeling like an idiot :D :D :D :D :D :D :D