PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Jaguar F-Type review

slowjoe24
07-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Cars and Coffee Talk: The new 2014 Jaguar F-Type..........is it your type? (http://carsandcoffeetalk.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-new-2014-jaguar-f-typeis-it-your.html)

After reading my blog about the 2014 Jaguar F-Type, you might just have to own one! Seriously I'm considering it :)

I've never heard anything like the exhaust note on this thing!

Thanks, Joe

07-24-2013, 09:36 PM
It's my new favorite Jaguar my other favorite is the XKE.

slowjoe24
07-25-2013, 06:07 AM
It was good to see Jaguar bring something new/fresh to the table, yet, keep it true to the classics!!

Ferrer
07-25-2013, 11:55 AM
It was good to see Jaguar bring something new/fresh to the table, yet, keep it true to the classics!!
Keeping it true to the classics almost killed Jaguar actually.

slowjoe24
07-25-2013, 01:28 PM
How so???

Kitdy
07-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Jaguar are killing it. Every single one of their cars turn my head. I have seen a fleet of F-Types, and they look like well little tigers.

A tip of the cap to the old British boys!

Ferrer
07-25-2013, 10:54 PM
How so???
Well the preposterous retroness of the Jaguar Ford Mondeo and the Jaguar Lincoln LS was so ridiculous that nobody wanted one. As a result they lost a lot of money.

Even the XJ, which a clever a modern car, had a tough time because of the classic (read, old) styling. I liked the XJ, but that's just because I'm actually from 1926 - and I couldn't afford one anyway.

Thankfully they've kissed goodbye retro and they are much more stronger now, even if they cars look a little generic (XF) or a little ugly (XJ).

Jaguar are killing it. Every single one of their cars turn my head. I have seen a fleet of F-Types, and they look like well little tigers.

A tip of the cap to the old British boys!
I completely agree. Owning a Jaguar is a very desirable prospect now. Their cars drive brilliantly and they have presence, charisma and character. They are even moderately reliable (sort of) and some of them quite fairly priced.

slowjoe24
07-26-2013, 06:26 AM
Well the preposterous retroness of the Jaguar Ford Mondeo and the Jaguar Lincoln LS was so ridiculous that nobody wanted one. As a result they lost a lot of money.

Even the XJ, which a clever a modern car, had a tough time because of the classic (read, old) styling. I liked the XJ, but that's just because I'm actually from 1926 - and I couldn't afford one anyway.

Thankfully they've kissed goodbye retro and they are much more stronger now, even if they cars look a little generic (XF) or a little ugly (XJ).

I completely agree. Owning a Jaguar is a very desirable prospect now. Their cars drive brilliantly and they have presence, charisma and character. They are even moderately reliable (sort of) and some of them quite fairly priced.

Well said......thanks for the insight :) I'm glad Jaguar is back in the game with a legit Roadster!!

Ferrer
07-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Well said......thanks for the insight :) I'm glad Jaguar is back in the game with a legit Roadster!!
Yes it only took them 52 years! I guess between this and a rebadged SportKa the F-Type is slightly better.

RacingManiac
07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

F-Type seems pretty expensive though....

Ferrer
07-27-2013, 10:51 AM
F-Type seems pretty expensive though....
Yes but the XF can be had for under 40 grand. I know it's diesel and stuff... but it is still a (proper) brand new Jaguar for less than 40.000€!

RacingManiac
07-27-2013, 12:00 PM
For $46k, which is what the 2.0T gas engine starts in US, I can't see it being that great of a buy...

Ferrer
07-27-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, it's the Germans, the Chryslancia, the Japanese or the XF.

I'd probably go for the Jag.

f6fhellcat13
07-27-2013, 06:34 PM
While the F-Type does sound fantastic, it sounds a bit artificial to my ears; there is something about the exhaust note that seems forced and unnatural. Part of the problem is that they've done such a good job of soundproofing the engine bay, that, when stopped, there seems to be no noise at all unless you're behind the car.

While Jag might not be out-and-out faking it like BMW does, it certainly seems forced and unbecoming of a sportscar. I realize that I'm picking nits here and that it isn't as pronounced when the car is moving, but you should be able to hear a car like the F-Type sucking, not just blowing. Due to it's larger size, I guess it is easier to make an exhaust that can be both loud and quiet, depending on the driver's input, than it is to make a variable-(sound)-volume intake tract.

Ferrer
07-28-2013, 12:11 PM
While the F-Type does sound fantastic, it sounds a bit artificial to my ears; there is something about the exhaust note that seems forced and unnatural. Part of the problem is that they've done such a good job of soundproofing the engine bay, that, when stopped, there seems to be no noise at all unless you're behind the car.

While Jag might not be out-and-out faking it like BMW does, it certainly seems forced and unbecoming of a sportscar. I realize that I'm picking nits here and that it isn't as pronounced when the car is moving, but you should be able to hear a car like the F-Type sucking, not just blowing. Due to it's larger size, I guess it is easier to make an exhaust that can be both loud and quiet, depending on the driver's input, than it is to make a variable-(sound)-volume intake tract.
It still is, quite possibly, the most desirable car currently on sale though...

VictorSheed
07-29-2013, 03:48 AM
I like the F-type as well as any Jag. But I don't see how they're coming away with this being connected in any way to the E. (is it just me?) :P

RacingManiac
07-29-2013, 10:32 AM
It still is, quite possibly, the most desirable car currently on sale though...

I'd rather have the brute from the colony in the new Vette...

Ferrer
07-29-2013, 11:20 PM
I'd rather have the brute from the colony in the new Vette...
The Corvette is a fine motor car, undoubtedly, but the F-Type looks better, sounds better, has a lovely interior, quite possibly equivalent handling and of course it's a Jaguar; which the Chevrolet isn't.

(Shame about the preposterous price tag)

RacingManiac
07-30-2013, 06:17 AM
Looks better I agree. Sounds better is subjective and so far, basing on youtube vid I've seen of both, thats kind of a toss up(I've heard the F-Type in person and it does sound nice, but not a new Vette yet). Interior the Jag better be nicer. The new Vette is quite a bit better than any Vette I've seen. And most of the new GM have pretty good interior now.

And it'll probably cost 30-40% less than a Jag V8S(V6 is still $17k more than the base price for the Vette, and $11k more than the Vette I'd spec if I were to buy one), most likely be faster on a track(I doubt the Jag will actually handle better). And its 200lb(100 less than a V6) lighter than a Jag V8S...and since European always like to complain, it has manual transmission to Jag's auto only....

Ferrer
07-30-2013, 10:35 AM
As I said the new Corvette is a fine motorcar and I'm sure I wouldn't be disappointed if I had one, and of course it has a manual gearbox which is nice touch (although eventually the Jag will also get one). I would personally go for the V6S, which probably strikes the best balance between handling, music and performance and of course bear in mind that in Europe the Corvette isn't the bargain it is in the US.

However in terms of sheer desirability none of this matters. Here, the Jag has the Corvette not just beaten, but destroyed. The F-Type is the first proper production Jaguar sportscar since the E-Type, which was unveiled a massive 52 years ago. That's a lot of time for a comeback, so they had to get it right. And they have. It may not be perfect, but on what matters it ticks all the boxes. Yes, it's expensive and maybe a little bit too large and little bit too heavy and for the moment only available with an automatic; but it's beautiful, sounds mean and (apparently) drives like a sportscar.

Most of all though, it feels like a proper Jag, and a modern one at that. Everyone knows I like the XF a lot, it is a proper sports saloon, modern and special to drive, but perhaps it's a little rough around the edges and it looks a little bit too generic. The F-Type improves on the modern Jaguar formula, with excitement turned all the way up to eleven. It's one of those cars that needs no explanation, much like the Dodge Challenger or the Fiat 500 TwinAir; it's just an example of how great the automobile can be.

In those aspects, which can't be measured, the F-Type is hard to beat.

RacingManiac
07-30-2013, 11:33 AM
Does F type come with a luggage rack option? Because I think it also comes with a tiny trunk...:D

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/events/1307_2014_jaguar_f_type_myturntojag_event_w_video/51443000+w654/2014-Jaguar-F-Type-trunk.gif

LTSmash
08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
It looks a lot like a Maserati Gran Turismo. Same platform or what?

RacingManiac
08-05-2013, 07:56 PM
It looks a lot like a Maserati Gran Turismo. Same platform or what?

Nope...this thing is tiny compare to the Maser...

Rather, Maser is quite large...

Ferrer
08-06-2013, 09:31 AM
The Maserati has more wheelbase than the XF saloon car. However the F-Type isn't exactly tiny either.

RacingManiac
08-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Hence comparing to the Maser....:D

RacingManiac
08-08-2013, 04:02 PM
This thing is 3900+ lb? How? Last C&D issue has the V8S weigh in at 3974lb. The C7 Vette is 3444lb....How is an all aluminum open top Jag weigh 500+ lb more than a Vette?

DBR9
08-14-2013, 02:32 PM
This thing is 3900+ lb? How? Last C&D issue has the V8S weigh in at 3974lb. The C7 Vette is 3444lb....How is an all aluminum open top Jag weigh 500+ lb more than a Vette?

The F-Type vs C7 is an interesting comparison, I hadn't considered it myself being British but it is interesting to see the competition and comparison's made in non-domestic markets.

I will say that as someone who is now very familiar with the F-Type that I am not entirely sure that the 500lb weight difference is truly representative. I haven't read the C&D article myself but i expect there will be some minor differences in infotainment and options that contribute to the weight difference.

Note: Having finally navigated the C&D website myself i find their V8S weight to be listed as 3671 lbs [2] and the equivalent C7, which should be the convertible for equal comparison (a lot of people are comparing it to rival coupe's which isn't entirely fair) is 3362 lbs [3] so say a 300+ lb difference which changes what i had to planned to write following this.

The C7 is impressively light for its size, however i think the 300lb difference can be attributed to something you originally touched upon which is the primary construction material. The Jag is all aluminium but the C7 features a significant number of composite panels, some of which are semi-structural and can provide significant weight saving.

From the list of composite panels i have seen "Carbon-fiber (CF) floor and bulkhead panels, We also expect CF to replace all the sheet-molded fiberglass exterior panels [1]" it is easy to see how the weight difference could arise, to be honest i would expect it to be a lot larger than it is, given that the original weight target for the C7 was 3000lbs.

1. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Secret Info and Renderings - News - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-chevrolet-corvette-c7-secret-info-and-renderings-news)
2. 2014 Jaguar F-type roadster Reviews - Jaguar F-type roadster Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/jaguar/f-type/2014/jaguar-f-type-roadster/specs/358020)
3. 2014 Chevrolet Corvette convertible Reviews - Chevrolet Corvette convertible Price, Photos, and Specs - CARandDRIVER (http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/chevrolet/corvette/2014/chevrolet-corvette-convertible/specs/358901)

RacingManiac
08-14-2013, 03:12 PM
The actual test is not on their site yet....usually a month late than the printed material(for obvious reason...)

slowjoe24
02-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Wow.....I just saw the #'s on the Jaguar F-Type R coupe!!

RacingManiac
02-28-2014, 06:57 AM
The actual test is not on their site yet....usually a month late than the printed material(for obvious reason...)

3974lb

2014 Jaguar F-type V-8 S Test Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-jaguar-f-type-v-8-s-test-review)

This is per their actual instrumented test, vs the usualy "first drive" or other stuff that quotes press release info...

C7 for comparison:

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S Comparison Tests - Page 4 - Car and Driver (http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-vs-2014-porsche-911-carrera-s-comparison-test-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4)

Ferrer
03-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Yesterday I saw the first one in the flesh. A black soft top with the V8.

I have to say, the weight is (almost) irrelevant.

Goodbye Corvette!

Kitdy
03-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Goodbye Corvette!

Hush, you. Both are great, but for different purposes.

Ferrer
03-01-2014, 08:37 AM
Hush, you. Both are great, but for different purposes.
The problem for the Corvette (in Europe) is that it is too expensive to be an affordable fun car but isn't quite special enough to be a dream car.

So it kinds of falls in a no-man's land.

Kitdy
03-01-2014, 10:42 AM
The problem for the Corvette (in Europe) is that it is too expensive to be an affordable fun car but isn't quite special enough to be a dream car.

Hint: no one cares about Europe, because besides Germany and Britain, you are all broke.

Ferrer
03-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Hint: no one cares about Europe, because besides Germany and Britain, you are all broke.
Wait until we don't buy any BMWs... and whatever the UK makes these days, and they'll be broke as well.

pimento
03-01-2014, 09:20 PM
... and whatever the UK makes these days, and they'll be broke as well.

Honda Civics and JCB diggers.

RacingManiac
03-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Kinda like how Jag is here....though the Vette tend to be associated to middle age or senior's affordable dream car.

They are much cheaper than the Jag here...

Also even if you stop buying BMWs, Americans will still buy them...so will the Chinese or other Asians...

Kitdy
03-03-2014, 01:02 PM
#BuyBenzInstead

Ferrer
03-04-2014, 01:17 AM
Kinda like how Jag is here....though the Vette tend to be associated to middle age or senior's affordable dream car.

They are much cheaper than the Jag here...

Also even if you stop buying BMWs, Americans will still buy them...so will the Chinese or other Asians...
The F-Type is undoubtedly expensive. We were expecting a Boxster rival and we have ended up with something that costs as much as a 911 but isn't quite as good.

However, try convincing someone to spend 80 grand in a Chevrolet. I can see the Camaro being the affordable American fun, though. 45 grand is a sensible and relatively affordable price and essentially the Camaro and the Corvette are the same car to us.

Not that any of this matters with Chevrolet disappearing from the old continent.

As for Europe, I don't think unsettling the situation will do any good for Germany in the long run, even they are rich and we aren't.

NSXType-R
03-04-2014, 06:30 AM
The F-Type is undoubtedly expensive. We were expecting a Boxster rival and we have ended up with something that costs as much as a 911 but isn't quite as good.

However, try convincing someone to spend 80 grand in a Chevrolet. I can see the Camaro being the affordable American fun, though. 45 grand is a sensible and relatively affordable price and essentially the Camaro and the Corvette are the same car to us.

Not that any of this matters with Chevrolet disappearing from the old continent.

As for Europe, I don't think unsettling the situation will do any good for Germany in the long run, even they are rich and we aren't.

I wouldn't mind spending 80 grand on a Corvette, I wouldn't bother spending 80 grand on a track ready Camaro though. Even at 45 grand I wouldn't buy a Camaro. I'd get an SS instead. Or a Corvette which starts at 51k.

But like you said, if I could get a 911 why wouldn't I? Plus I like that the 911 has a manual option. So far the Jaguar doesn't.

Ferrer
03-04-2014, 07:03 AM
Just to clarify, the 45 grand Camaro I mentioned is the SS; we do not get the entry-level six cylinder version (or any other versions for that matter).

The 80 grand Vette is the base European car, which isn't exactly the same as a base USDM Corvette.

RacingManiac
03-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Just to clarify, the 45 grand Camaro I mentioned is the SS; we do not get the entry-level six cylinder version (or any other versions for that matter).

The 80 grand Vette is the base European car, which isn't exactly the same as a base USDM Corvette.

I think he is talking about Chevy SS(http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/ss-performance-sedan-debut.html?seo=goo_|_GM+Chevy+Awareness_|_1744%7C1 751%7CIPUS%7CAU%7CG%7CS%7CB%7CA%7CBMM%7CGG-AWR-Chevrolet-Chevy+SS-BP-SN-BMM_|_Super+Sport+Chevy+Sedan_|_%2Bchevrolet%20%2B ss)

Basically Holden V8 sedan...

NSXType-R
03-04-2014, 12:32 PM

I think he is talking about Chevy SS(http://www.chevrolet.com/culture/article/ss-performance-sedan-debut.html?seo=goo_|_GM+Chevy+Awareness_|_1744%7C1 751%7CIPUS%7CAU%7CG%7CS%7CB%7CA%7CBMM%7CGG-AWR-Chevrolet-Chevy+SS-BP-SN-BMM_|_Super+Sport+Chevy+Sedan_|_%2Bchevrolet%20%2B ss)

Basically Holden V8 sedan...

Yup, I was talking about the 4 door sedan. It seems insane to sell such a car at such a high price. It is well appointed, but still...

And holy crap American cars are expensive over on your side. For 80 grand that's a well appointed Corvette, possibly even a Z06 on this side.

Ferrer
03-06-2014, 04:07 AM
Oh, sorry for the mix-up. We... do not get that one either.

NSXType-R
03-06-2014, 05:15 AM
Oh, sorry for the mix-up. We... do not get that one either.

Not a problem, I wished they had just called it a Caprice. Everyone would know what it is.

Europe probably gets Holden or Monaro though right? It's the same thing. Probably with a manual too.

RacingManiac
03-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Don't EU get the Vauxhall VXR thingy? Or is that only UK?

Ferrer
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
Don't EU get the Vauxhall VXR thingy? Or is that only UK?
We, continentals, do not get it.