PDA

View Full Version : Weird tray on the back of roadsters

TVR IS KING
12-01-2013, 02:20 AM
This is something I've always wondered about and never been able to find the answer to. Today I believe I spied a Z4 roadster with something similar on the back, and I need answers! I can't bear not knowing any longer.
What's with the weird tray on the boot of the MGs and things? Like so:
http://www.diseno-art.com/images_2/1977_MGB_Roadster_rear.jpg

My only guess is that it's trying to increase storage capacity on a car that's obviously lacking. Like a roof rack. But do people actually tie their bags to those things?!

Man of Steel
12-01-2013, 02:36 AM
I guess that is a ''yes'''.

NSXType-R
12-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Yup, that's a luggage rack...

TVR IS KING
12-01-2013, 04:53 AM
I still find it's pretty weird. It looks strange dangling off the back. And I don't think they get used often enough to justify it.
Guess they weren't so cryptic after all.

Ferrer
12-01-2013, 07:41 AM
It's indeed a luggage rack as NSX says.

I have also seen it being used with a suitcase fastened in it.

Kitdy
12-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I have also seen it being used with a suitcase fastened in it.

That was used by you, because you are in fact, an old British man at your core.

Ferrer
12-01-2013, 09:38 AM
That was used by you, because you are in fact, an old British man at your core.
Well I already drive a British roadster (made in Japan) and say bonnet and lorry... so, may, maybe that's the thing.

f6fhellcat13
12-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Devoted anglophiles will insist that they make their holey, cramped, and unreliable roadster practical. They are largely a styling feature, though.

Ferrer
12-01-2013, 03:00 PM
My car very practical and spacious. A medium-sized human fits in the boot, making it technically a 3-passenger vehicle, and then where am I going to fit my luggage?

The luggage rack, best invention ever, I tell ya!

(I'm not kidding with the human in the boot malarkey. I have photographic evidence)

Matra et Alpine
12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Practical for many of the cars of that era where the boot was barely large enough for one suitcase for a week travelling. So the "boot rack" :) Commonly with ski fittings too !!

NSXType-R
12-02-2013, 03:04 PM
Devoted anglophiles will insist that they make their holey, cramped, and unreliable roadster practical. They are largely a styling feature, though.

Haha, looks like a rumbler seat!